Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board

Old 02-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default School Anti-Obesity Programs May Lead to Eating Disorders

Over the last few years many of our children have be subject to fear based anti-obesity programs at their schools (or like in Georgia in multiple media). A new study out of the University of Michigan indicates that rather than helping these programs are actually causing eating disorders.

http://www.med.umich.edu/mott/npch/p...gbehaviors.pdf
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I'm not surprised one bit.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Blackhawk2293
Still tired of life

Blackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging in

I fail to see what is so hard about having a positive healthy living type of promotion. It's not that difficult and doesn't even have to focus on "Obesity" as such.

The way I see it, if you promote the benefits (from a kid's point of view) that's what they'll go for.

Going outside can be fun! Playing soccer or football or whatever in the park can be fun!

Having your friends over at your house instead of being on Facebook can be fun!

Maybe even making it into a game like "Hey, dare you to eat that really sour (or bitter) vegetable.... $10 says that you can't!"
Old 02-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
MissAshley
Enigma

MissAshley is a member of the 500 clubMissAshley is a member of the 500 clubMissAshley is a member of the 500 clubMissAshley is a member of the 500 clubMissAshley is a member of the 500 clubMissAshley is a member of the 500 club

I agree they need to stop focusing on making fat kids thin and start focusing on encouraging kids to be active and eating well balanced meals. The activity part is easy, the balanced meals part will be more difficult because American culture is designed in a way that makes eating and food not as healthy as it could be.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
musicman
I hate fat-haters!

musicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk2293 View Post
I fail to see what is so hard about having a positive healthy living type of promotion. It's not that difficult and doesn't even have to focus on "Obesity" as such.
Because there's no profit in that (for the politicians). Government programs, laws, and regulations are not enacted to benefit anyone other than the politicians, and they know they can get massive campaign donations (bribes) from the medical and weight loss industry. And so what if they cause eating disorders? That just means more donations from the medical lobby.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk2293 View Post
(1) It goes against the grain. New England was settled by Puritans who kept whips in their closets to scourge themselves for their sinfulness. For nearly three hundred years, New England was the intellectual center of America; there is still a lot of Puritanism in our culture.

(2) It's less satisfying. Being positive doesn't allow the promoters to take the moral high ground and say, "I know better than you do. So do as I say, you stupid fat person!" Can you imagine how powerful that might make a repressed bureaucrat in the educational system feel?
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:59 AM   #7
Blackhawk2293
Still tired of life

Blackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging in

Musicman - wholeheartedly agree with you that governments and politicians are not to be trusted with anything and that any policies they come out that appear to be well intentioned or even benevolent has an ulterior motive that is usually far from it.

Dr Feelgood - that is an interesting historic view of things and I never really thought about it that way before... and yeah, I agree with you as well about people's self confidence making stuffy bureaucrats feel uncomfortable.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
(1) It goes against the grain. New England was settled by Puritans who kept whips in their closets to scourge themselves for their sinfulness. For nearly three hundred years, New England was the intellectual center of America; there is still a lot of Puritanism in our culture.

(2) It's less satisfying. Being positive doesn't allow the promoters to take the moral high ground and say, "I know better than you do. So do as I say, you stupid fat person!" Can you imagine how powerful that might make a repressed bureaucrat in the educational system feel?
I can't rep you, but I love when you relate teachings to the topic at hand
FatAndProud is offline   Reply With Quote