Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 11-03-2017, 06:39 AM   #2651
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
You're in good company, Loopy. I once puppy-sat a thoroughly charming bulldog named Barney, who would dive under the couch in terror at the sight of a vacuum cleaner. He would also, for reasons I did not inquire about, do the same thing if you made the sign of the cross at him.
I always got shepherded out of the room with the dogs whenever vacuuming was occurring at my mum's place. We would all be put in the back room with the door shut and the radio on, occasionally with the cat as well if she was in the way!
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:09 PM   #2652
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

One of my professors can't read and gave me a mark i am displeased with - mostly because his comments make no sense and are RUDE. To give context about how illiterate and idiotic this guy is, this was a question of his "Self-Serving Bias: Why do we have a self-serving bias? Why are we more likely to attribute our behaviour to situational causes? Who do we observe in the most situations over time?"

Who do we observe in the most situations over time? This isn't even a sentence, and makes NO sense in the context of the textbook, because it says self-serving bias crosses culture.

The mark isn't BAD but i don't know how much I should fight it, but it really upset me because it makes no sense. Now I am full of rage and I am supposed to be winding down for bed, but instead I'll probably end up rage working into the right. I hate fighting, but his feedback made so little sense in the context of my work that I am afraid my next mark will be even worse.

AND my SAD hit, so as I'm trying to vent to my hubby I can't even get the damn words out properly!!!! ARGHHH!!

I'm fine. I'm fine. *straightens the desk she flipped in rage*
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #2653
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

It looks like the sort of question where you aren't supposed to think, but just regurgitate simplistic answers? Like "Who do we observe in the most situations over time? One's self." ? (except I suppose he also wants some minimum word count in the answer?)
Old 11-14-2017, 07:51 AM   #2654
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
One of my professors can't read and ...
Even though I wouldn't have necessarily expected it from a professor - people not reading and correctly processing what they read is increasingly driving me crazy too.

Be it the bill over the wrong time frame - because they had not read about the change. Or health insurance refusing to reimburse something - because they are frazzled about a new address, don't notice it's the same doc, same procedure they've been reimbursing for 10 years .

I sometimes wonder whether digitalization - with more text in all imaginable language available at one click than ever before in human history - isn't actually making people less literate.
If you look at even reknown newspaper sights - most of all will not only offer you a text article - but also the synopsis of its content as a video. Which always pops up first . When I go to a newspaper sight, I want to READ information, not be pestered by little videos.
But it seems more and more people are falling for the fast-food-information: everything spelled out, undercomplex and easy to consume. And are no longer able to process something in writing with a more complex informational set-up.

By the way - this is not age related. My personal micro-census contains a handful of old people (70+) who have mastered the basics of digital technologies and now can only deal with clip-information.

Back to the OP - imo it should be a given that anybody who ever received the title professor should be able to handle texts.

So bon courage - you'll survive him too.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #2655
squeezablysoft

squeezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I'm with you all on the frustration of living in an increasingly (and ironically, considering that with the internet, email and texting everyone "reads"
more than ever nowadays) illiterate world. Now I will admit I can be a bit long winded at times, but I posted a comment to a news article recently and got a reply that basically said "nobody cares enough about your opinion to read the 6 paragraphs you just wasted your time posting". Ok, so the article probably didn't need a double-spaced page and a half of my commentary, but at least I really thought the issue through instead of the majority of the commentators who basically posted some one sentence version of either "I agree with the subject of the article, she's awesome!" or "Stupid &&^$#ing piece of $+@#+=&=+$!!!1!!!11!!!" It wasn't even like my post was rendered difficult to read by bad spelling or grammar or being an unparagraphed Great Wall of Text.

I also recently read an article that said something to the effect of "you are wasting your time writing out long, detailed bios and information about yourself on your dating profiles, since nobody bothers to read them and strictly swipe right or left based solely on your pics". This bugged me because I'm always extremely impressed with people who actually write something in their profiles, even when I don't necessarily agree with what they're saying (having said that, I admit my Feabie profile is pretty,
well feeble when it comes to text and much more complete in the photo section, I need to fix this).

It definitely feels like we're living in a "TL,DR world". And don't even get me started on how every other article on even reputable news sites seems riddled with typos and basic grammatical errors.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #2656
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Work has been occupying my mind in the evenings (and if waking up in the night then too) all week. REALLY hate when that happens.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:16 AM   #2657
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Vet's being morons. Not only did I know more about guinea pigs than she did - I had to explain that I was concerned about upper respiratory infection and which antibiotics to give - but she decided to fat shame my guinea pig.

Like, seriously, Meg is a big pig. But this vet spent the first ten minutes examining and holding her, gushing about how great condition she is in and how healthy she is. Then they weighed her, and because she's 100 g heavier than they said she should be, apparently she's going to get diabetes and a shortened lifespan.

Apparently I need to feed her less treats and carrots. ...despite the fact that they very rarely get fruit or treats and don't really like carrots anyway. It is her daughter, Missy, that eats all the sweets things anyway, Meg is more interested in hay and lettuce. Like, I'm not starving Meg just because she's overall big. Like, Missy is 150 grams lighter than Meg but eats way more (Missy is my little gannet) and is just generally a lot smaller than Meg. It's dumb to expect Meg to be the same weight as her daughter when even her head is twice the size.

The female guinea pigs at the farm range from 900-1250 grams. Missy is 1050, Meg is 1200. Meg is a big guinea pig in general, but not unusually big. It's so dumb.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #2658
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Fat shaming a guinea pig is about as sensible as trying to drown a fish.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #2659
squeezablysoft

squeezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Why not height shame giraffes while they're at it?
Old 11-21-2017, 07:08 AM   #2660
Tad
mostly harmless

On top of all the usual crap at work I'm now coordinating a fairly huge project to clean up, fill-in, and transfer all of my companies product information to our new corporate overlords. I've ended up working on the monster schedule (~500 tasks) at home in the evenings and on the weekend because it is hard to carve out enough time during the work day.

That isn't what is pissing me off. That is stuff that happens sometimes with work.

What is pissing me off is that as a result I let myself slack off on the ironing, and now I'm wearing trousers from deep in the back of my closet that make me wonder why I ever thought buying something so high waisted was a good idea with my belly-centric shape? They are too tight when I'm sitting down, fall down when I stand up, don't look good on me, and they are going to be pissing me off all day.

And when I get home they are going into the donations bin, and I will do some ironing
Old 12-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #2661
Tad
mostly harmless

here we go, about to get the new locked-down laptop from the new corporate overlords, will have to see whether I can still get here or not from work after -- and if I can I probably shouldn't with their network policies. So phone access it shall mostly be ... sigh. Been a good 20 or so year run with being able to easily pop in from work when I need a break.

ETA: stay of execution for a while, we are still logging in through our old network for the most part, so most of the time things continue as they had previously been. Eventually things will swap over, but not just yet
Old 12-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #2662
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Reminds me of my brother's overlords. No shorts. No making toast even though there's a toaster in the lunch room.

There's more, but it's so ridiculous I can't remember it all.

Judging by the silly links he sends me during office hours, no Internet restrictions, though.
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:27 PM   #2663
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post
Reminds me of my brother's overlords. No shorts. No making toast even though there's a toaster in the lunch room.

There's more, but it's so ridiculous I can't remember it all.
In my experience, "the administrative mind" is an oxymoron. Every time I have gone to a doctor's office, I have been required to complete a questionnaire, on which the first three questions are: #1 Name, #2 Date of Birth, #3 Age. I always hope the person who makes out the questionnaire is not the person who keeps the books.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #2664
Crumbling
Distilled Evil

Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
In my experience, "the administrative mind" is an oxymoron. Every time I have gone to a doctor's office, I have been required to complete a questionnaire, on which the first three questions are: #1 Name, #2 Date of Birth, #3 Age. I always hope the person who makes out the questionnaire is not the person who keeps the books.

It does depend on your frames of reference. If you travel any amount of time in the TARDIS... your age will be out of sync with your date of birth.
this is the kind of thing The Doctor might want to keep track of.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #2665
Tad
mostly harmless

I spoke too soon ... logged in today and am indeed blocked from Gmail, yahoo mail, Dimensions .... Basically anywhere they think we could easily export data through unauthorized channels or where the content is flagged as being inappropriate. Sigh.

Already had to do all the online training about protecting company IP and what is appropriate behaviour. Tomorrow we get to have a quarterly video address by one of the co-presidents. Never worked anywhere like this before, will have to see how long I hold up.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #2666
AmyJo1976
Happy Holidays

AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
I spoke too soon ... logged in today and am indeed blocked from Gmail, yahoo mail, Dimensions .... Basically anywhere they think we could easily export data through unauthorized channels or where the content is flagged as being inappropriate. Sigh.

Already had to do all the online training about protecting company IP and what is appropriate behaviour. Tomorrow we get to have a quarterly video address by one of the co-presidents. Never worked anywhere like this before, will have to see how long I hold up.
That stinks! Glad I don't have to deal with that, yet anyways (fingers crossed).
AmyJo1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:28 PM   #2667
squeezablysoft

I feel you on the overreaching overlords thing, I just left a Christian college after 1 year of strange rules like no listening to any kind of popular music or dating without a chaperone (not that I followed all the rules). Course I moved out of the dorm and back into my mom's house, so it's a bit of an out of the frying pan into the fire situation. She's not crazy conservative like my old school was though,
just a bit overprotective and seems to have trouble grasping or accepting that I'm 33 not 13.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:59 PM   #2668
hommecreux

hommecreux can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeshommecreux can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeshommecreux can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I just recently moved home to go back to school SqeezeablySoft, I'm in the same situation. A VPN helps!
hommecreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #2669
loopytheone
Administrator

The bank just froze my debit card because I told them they had the wrong phone number registered.

It's friday. I work saturday. I'm not going to be able to get any money until monday. The wankers at the bank are absolutely going to get it on monday, this is the second time this month they have done this.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #2670
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
The bank just froze my debit card because I told them they had the wrong phone number registered.

It's friday. I work saturday. I'm not going to be able to get any money until monday. The wankers at the bank are absolutely going to get it on monday, this is the second time this month they have done this.
No customer service (even by phone) for the bank on Saturday?

How, how...... 20th century of them!!!!
Old 12-12-2017, 02:41 AM   #2671
loopytheone
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat hiker View Post
No customer service (even by phone) for the bank on Saturday?

How, how...... 20th century of them!!!!
They have a few hours of customer support on Saturdays, but I work Saturdays so I can't go into the bank then. They insist on seeing me in person anyway, rather than over the phone.

Tags
mad, pissed