Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 01-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Salt Cod

God. I love this shit.

It was what po' folks ate (along with oysters) a coupla hundred years ago; but not anymore. It's now a 'gourmet item' at $10+/lb. This was a real deal, so I bought all that Kroger had.

Before the days of ice and refrigeration they would clean the fish, put them on improvised racks on a beach somewhere to dry out, then salt them. They'd last for a long time that way.

You have to soak them in water to get the salt out.

Our fav is cod cakes: Cod, taters, Old Bay seasoning, fresh parsley, chopped onion, an egg or two, some flour, and pepper. Saute them in olive oil, like crab cakes.

More photos and recipes to follow. . .

Bon appétit.

-Jim
Old 01-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Probably a good deal because Christmas is past and the Italians didn't buy enough of it and the manager needs to get rid of it because he doesn't know how versatile it is
Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

This sounds similar to lutefisk. Families of Norwegian descent still eat it during the holidays in Minnesota.

It's one of those you either love it or hate it things.

The best way to eat lutefisk is with lots of melted butter.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
This sounds similar to lutefisk. Families of Norwegian descent still eat it during the holidays in Minnesota.

It's one of those you either love it or hate it things.

The best way to eat lutefisk is with lots of melted butter.
It's nothing like lutefisk, trust me. Salt cod (baccala) is just plain old cod, salted and dried to preserve it. When you soak it and remove the salt, it comes back, almost, to being like just plain fish. Lutefisk is nothing like the original product, more like some sort of evil fish jelly. It's just plain disgusting, and no amount of butter an change that. My Norwegian ancestors must have been on some sort of frozen hallucinogen when they thought soaking fish in lye would make better. How do people come up with these odd things? It really makes me curious. How did Icelandic people get a taste for rotten shark?

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaLois View Post
It's nothing like lutefisk, trust me. Salt cod (baccala) is just plain old cod, salted and dried to preserve it. When you soak it and remove the salt, it comes back, almost, to being like just plain fish. Lutefisk is nothing like the original product, more like some sort of evil fish jelly. It's just plain disgusting, and no amount of butter an change that. My Norwegian ancestors must have been on some sort of frozen hallucinogen when they thought soaking fish in lye would make better. How do people come up with these odd things? It really makes me curious. How did Icelandic people get a taste for rotten shark?

And things that make you go Haaaaaaaaa!!!

Old 01-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...iskHistory.htm

Quote:
The history of lutefisk dates back to the Vikings. On one occasion, according to one legend, plundering Vikings burned down a fishing village, including the wooden racks with drying cod. the returning villagers poured water on the racks to put out the fire. Ashes covered the dried fish, and then it rained. the fish buried in the ashes in the ashes thus became soaked in a lye slush. Later the villagers were surprised to see that the dried fish had changed to what looked like fresh fish. they rinsed the fish in water and boiled it. the story is that one particularly brave villager tasted the fish and declared it "not bad."
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

As promised, here was our supper tonight. (Our = the dogs and me. The girl friend is in NYC. Hopefully, she'll be bringing me back a tee-shirt and not a STD.)

Cod cakes with Old Bay tarter sauce and fresh asparagus with hollandaise:

Old 01-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

Wow, those look really tasty! Can you post the recipe?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

Quote:
Wow, those look really tasty! Can you post the recipe?
Anything for you, Oh Mama of my Sigline.

I found this recipe on the Internet. It's basically identical to mine. I used Old Bay seasoning (a bit more than the recipe suggests) and Italian parsley -- it tastes better than the curly kind.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...crXgnCZdR9AeKw

They were quite good.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #10
jewels_mystery
Urban Hippie

jewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going on

I am west indian and grew up eating salted cod fish cakes, rice and salad. yummm.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
FredtheFA

FredtheFA has said some nice things

Salted cod fish after the salt has been mostly removed, boiled potatos and sauteed onions very simple very delicious.
FredtheFA is offline   Reply With Quote