Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Hyde Park (Archive Only)

Old 10-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #26
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

He has no sense of international relations, which is terrifying for someone who wants to head one of the world's superpowers.

Quote:
After several foreign affairs gaffes, Libertarian presidential nominee Gary Johnson sidestepped an opportunity to somewhat redeem himself and demonstrate that he’s knowledgeable about the world.

In an interview on Wednesday, the New York Times asked Johnson, a former governor of New Mexico, if he knew the name of North Korea’s leader.

“I do,” the third-party candidate replied.

“You want me to name” the person, he continued, before adding, “Really.” Johnson ultimately declined to provide a name.

The current “supreme leader” of North Korea is Kim Jong Un, who succeeded his father, Kim Jong Il, in 2011.

Johnson’s inability or refusal to name Kim follows several slip-ups when pressed on knowledge of international relations.

In early September, Johnson was widely ridiculed after drawing a blank on “Morning Joe” when asked about Aleppo, the most populous city in Syria and the epicenter of the ongoing refugee crisis.

Johnson recently failed to provide the name of a foreign leader whom he admires during an appearance on MSNBC. He subsequently attributed this to the shortcomings of the world’s leaders.

Undeterred, Johnson has insisted that an extensive knowledge of geography or world leaders is not a prerequisite to being a successful commander in chief. In fact, he has suggested that his ignorance could actually be a boon to the Oval Office.

In his Times interview, Johnson said Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton bears a burden of responsibility for some of the bloodshed in Syria and that her expertise about the world does not reduce this.

“Because Hillary Clinton can dot the i’s and cross the t’s on geographic leaders, of the names of foreign leaders,” he said, “the underlying fact that hundreds of thousands of people have died in Syria goes by the wayside.”

Despite these embarrassing moments, Johnson has attracted a good deal of attention in the current White House race. Several major newspapers, such as the Chicago Tribune and the Richmond Times-Dispatch, have endorsed Johnson as a sound alternative to Clinton and Republican candidate Donald Trump.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #27
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've listened to him speak in depth several times. He is far from dumb. One thing he does not do is suffer the media very well. If he thinks the question is without merit he'll generally ignore it or call them on it.

I understand he may not be a candidate for everyone, but why not get him in the debate? If he's in over his head and doesn't have positions agreeable to all he voters then so be it. He will be gone in short order. But I feel if given the chance there may be a good many that agree with him. I think the voters deserve to hear his positions.

Last edited by LeoGibson; 10-07-2016 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Fixing the mistakes made posting from my phone.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:50 PM   #28
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

At least he didn't call the previous Dear Leader of North Korea, "Kim Jong the Second" -- someone actually did that, mistaking the [capital "i" followed by lowercase "L"] for two capital letters "i" and interpreting it as Roman numerals... [Note: upper and lower case substitutions made for clarity as they may not be distinguishable in sans-serif fonts.]

On the other hand, while this whole line of questions might seem like a game of "gotcha!", his "Aleppo Moments" make it a serious issue that he shouldn't be allowed to laugh away. I mean, he's got to answer that sort of question correctly at least once before he can blow off the topic.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:34 PM   #29
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBomb View Post
....On the other hand, while this whole line of questions might seem like a game of "gotcha!", his "Aleppo Moments" make it a serious issue that he shouldn't be allowed to laugh away. I mean, he's got to answer that sort of question correctly at least once before he can blow off the topic.
I agree. So why not have him on the next debate and see how he fares when put to the test and the hard questions?
Old 10-08-2016, 08:46 PM   #30
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Because under the rules, he hasn't earned the privilege of being on that stage.

It is somewhat arbitrary -- I wouldn't be surprised if, had Mr. Trump's Bad Friday happened a week ago, the Libertarian ticket would have picked up enough support from appalled Republicans to have met the 15% threshold in the last round of polling. On the other hand, it would have been due to a trick of timing rather than the size of their preexisting base of popular support.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:14 AM   #31
LeoGibson
Slangin'

True, but quite frankly the rules are bullshit. It's all about two party control. The last time there was a viable 3rd party candidate (see Perot) he was in the debate. It was after his somewhat successful albeit in the early stages campaign that scared the pants off the old D's and R's that they moved the fences to make it nigh on impossible for a 3rd party candidate to get on the main stage.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #32
CleverBomb
On Space Out

If you're going to look to Perot as an example of a worthy third-party candidate... well, in the end he wasn't.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:42 AM   #33
LeoGibson
Slangin'

CB, if you go through my above statement again, where in any way does it say I endorsed Perot as a viable 3rd party candidate? I even referenced that his success was in the early stages of his campaign. My entire point was that because of him the establishment changed the rules to try and make sure that could never happen again.

Perot is an interesting case study in many ways though. A lot of what-ifs and conspiracies surround his presidential bid. I too wonder how it would have turned out had he stayed in for the duration instead of leaving the race due to some vague threat about his family only to jump back in later. If memory serves I do believe he was leading in the polls when he suspended his run.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #34
CleverBomb
On Space Out

I wasn't so much saying he was a viable candidate as I was pointing out that if that's what getting a third (or fourth, or Nth) candidate onto the stage gives to the process, it's not much of an improvement.