Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 08-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
stevenbbwlvr

stevenbbwlvr does more than just post hot picsstevenbbwlvr does more than just post hot picsstevenbbwlvr does more than just post hot pics
Default Curry!!

It's so EASY to make a great curry!

I made this lovely concoction the other night - sliced sirloin, green peppers, onion, LOTS of garlic, fresh basil (the only kind worth using) curry powder, coconut milk....hot sauce...served over rice...yum, yum!

You could make it with almost any veggie (next time, I'm going to try green beans) or meat...or, no meat, you like.

I loosely followed a receipe I found on line. I'll post a link if anyone's interested.

I made another concoction using coconut milk and canned mushroom gravy along with some flame broiled steak and roasted green peppers. One of my "drunk cooking experiments". It was one of the one in three of such that came out GREAT!
stevenbbwlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:41 AM   #2
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

Husband and I went to a Chinese buffet (that is surprisingly not the typical, low-quality type of buffet) this past week and they had baby octopus in curry sauce. I had to put one on my plate to try it. It was SO good! I couldn't tell what all was in the sauce, but it had a great balanced flavor. It seemed like there were only two people eating it, a young Asian guy, and myself. I guess the fact that it was actually little whole octopi was a bit off-putting to everybody else. My husband even gave me the evil eye when I brought back a little plate full of them to the table. Sorry, but he can deal. They were really *that* good, and I had to have more.

He likes the flavor of curry, but unfortunately he has a severe coconut allergy and can't risk it in restaurants usually because most curry dishes have coconut milk and most premade curry sauces have some form of coconut in them as well.

There's one restaurant we go to often that makes a no-coconut curry chicken. It's a Mediterranean restaurant and it's a curry-mustard chicken. It's pretty good too, and I make it at home all the time. I mix a little plain yogurt with yellow mustard, and add curry powder and a little salt. Marinade the chicken in it overnight, and then grill it (the restaurant prepares it the traditional kebab style though). And serve it with a yogurt sauce that has a lot of garlic and some lemon juice.

I've also taken some sweet curry and heated it up with some butter to toast it a little bit and drizzled it over popcorn. That was good.

Tracy
Old 08-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I love curry but spending ages chopping a ton of onions then standing over them stirring for nearly an hour til theyre all dark brown, is a killer! I hate doing that so much, that I only make that one every couple of months, but it tastes soooo nice! Two of my sisters live in the north of England in predominantly Asian (Pakistani) areas, and every morning about 10.30am you can smell the wonderful aroma of garlic and frying onions all over the area, from the women starting that night's curry, heaven! I make it with lots of cheap frozen lamb chops, which then cook down in the le cresuet for two hours, til the meat all falls off the bones and the fat has melted into the spicy, rich gravy, mmmm! I usually just make some plain basmati rice to eat with it, but if I am organised, I will make some cucumber raita to go with it too. I love yogurt with my rice, even on its own.

I have on some occasions made rich creamy kormas from scratch. But they are just as long to cook, and then even more, as you add coconut cream, ground cashews, pistachios and flaked almonds. Very tasty, but not an everyday thing.

If I can't face doing a "proper" Indian curry, I'll just make thai style curry, which is so fast and fresh and tasty with red thai curry paste, tom yum paste, (tamarind mainly), coconut milk, spring onions (scallions?), baby corn, and peeled slices of cucumber on the side. I make this with chicken breast as that is all my fussy son will eat, but I love it best with bone-in chicken thighs, as a Thai friend makes it. They only use meat on the bone there, as they sensibly know that it makes it so much more tasty! I also have this curry with basmati rice, and its much lighter and "fresher" than the Indian style.

My favourite curry accompaniment is a poori, (fried chapati). Very fluffy and light and crisp, not dry and doughy and stodgy like naan bread. However, I haven't tried tackling those yet, I'll leave them to the local takeaway.
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyarts View Post
He likes the flavor of curry, but unfortunately he has a severe coconut allergy and can't risk it in restaurants usually because most curry dishes have coconut milk and most premade curry sauces have some form of coconut in them as well.
I feel his pain. Coconut milk seems to be basic to Thai curry, but I don't think I've ever encountered it in Indian curry; is it possible that an Indian or Pakistani restaurant might fill the bill (of fare)?
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

*bump*

I'd love to see recipes posted of your favorite curry dishes. Anyone have any?

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Ripples View Post
I love curry but spending ages chopping a ton of onions then standing over them stirring for nearly an hour til theyre all dark brown, is a killer! I hate doing that so much, that I only make that one every couple of months, but it tastes soooo nice! Two of my sisters live in the north of England in predominantly Asian (Pakistani) areas, and every morning about 10.30am you can smell the wonderful aroma of garlic and frying onions all over the area, from the women starting that night's curry, heaven! I make it with lots of cheap frozen lamb chops, which then cook down in the le cresuet for two hours, til the meat all falls off the bones and the fat has melted into the spicy, rich gravy, mmmm! I usually just make some plain basmati rice to eat with it, but if I am organised, I will make some cucumber raita to go with it too. I love yogurt with my rice, even on its own.

I have on some occasions made rich creamy kormas from scratch. But they are just as long to cook, and then even more, as you add coconut cream, ground cashews, pistachios and flaked almonds. Very tasty, but not an everyday thing.

If I can't face doing a "proper" Indian curry, I'll just make thai style curry, which is so fast and fresh and tasty with red thai curry paste, tom yum paste, (tamarind mainly), coconut milk, spring onions (scallions?), baby corn, and peeled slices of cucumber on the side. I make this with chicken breast as that is all my fussy son will eat, but I love it best with bone-in chicken thighs, as a Thai friend makes it. They only use meat on the bone there, as they sensibly know that it makes it so much more tasty! I also have this curry with basmati rice, and its much lighter and "fresher" than the Indian style.

My favourite curry accompaniment is a poori, (fried chapati). Very fluffy and light and crisp, not dry and doughy and stodgy like naan bread. However, I haven't tried tackling those yet, I'll leave them to the local takeaway.
I throw the garlic, onions, dried chilis, and ginger in the food processor & then add the curry & chili powder to that concoction to make a paste. I'll use whatever amount I need for the moment and then freeze the rest. I've kept it in ziploc bags, in the freezer, for months at a time and it still tastes great when I take it out for use. I know it's not "authentic" and it's lazy as hell but really, it's pretty tasty. My Indian husband loves it. To cook it, I just put a bit of oil in a frying pan, add whole cloves and a bit of mustard seed, warm it all up and then add the paste concentrate with some water, then add the meat and potatoes and simmer until nearly cooked through ... right near the end, I'll add some coconut milk.

Ruby, I think I'll try your thai style curry tomorrow. It really sounds great. I'm not a huge fan of curry, with exception to my own home-made version (and that's because the sauce is smooth and creamy and I can't taste the onion or feel the texture of veggies that tend to be too mushy for my liking). But your version does look great.

BTW, have you tried the frozen roti canai? Nowadays, they sell it in the freezer section of most of the grocery stores here. It's very simple to make -- basically heat the skillet and warm it until it turns golden brown and puffs up to an airy texture. It's not poori, but it's a close 2nd for my husband (and I actually prefer the roti canai).
TraciJo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
spiritangel
AmandaClause

spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!

I am making a thai style veggie curry tonight yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm