Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Fat sexuality

Old 06-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
KittyKitten
Nerdysillysweetspicysaucy

KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Buck teeth/Overbites

Do any men out there like women with buck teeth/overbites? I have a slight overbite and for the longest time, I felt self-conscious. I was just curious if some men found overbites sexy on a woman. Yeah, this is so random....
Old 06-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Fat Brian
retarded disfigured clown

Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I think they can be nice. I have a thing for not perfectly straight teeth. I like things that are specific to the individual, a little gap between the front two teeth, a slight twist to a tooth, something that makes a person special. I like little "imperfections"*, they make people more interesting and usually become my favorite features on a person.

*Imperfection used only in the societal context, I do not view them as a lack of being perfect. In fact I actually enjoy them and think they are important and humanizing. Too often we try to make everyone "perfect" by removing anything that gives them individuality or personality.
Fat Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I object to the term "buck teeth" because I think it's insulting, but yes, I have an overbite and an overjet. One describes the angle your teeth stick out when you look at someone's profile, and the other describes how far your upper teeth cover your lower teeth when you bite down. I have both. Plus a pretty sizeable gap between my two front teeth, just to make things even worse.

I feel they make me appear less intelligent than I am and in fact have an appointment at my husband's dental office to FINALLY look into getting them repaired. They are also creating dysfunction in my bite and my teeth are wearing badly, so in terms of how my bite works, I need to get it fixed.

However, to answer your question (touchy subject with me much?), nearly everyone who knows me and loves me loves my smile. My husband thinks it's adorable. I've heard nothing but positive comments from men who have been attracted to me.

I just wish I could share that perspective. So I guess to answer your question, it's normal to be self conscious about it, but in my experience most guys think it's pretty cool.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Zandoz
Highly irregular

Location: Turn left at the Pharos, then right at the library...Alexandria KY
Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

It's not something I'd even consider one way or another. But having seen your pics happyface, you are beautiful. I'd say no worries.

Blessed is he who has learned to laugh at himself, for he shall never cease to be entertained. -- John Boswell

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool -- William Shakespeare, As You Like It, Act II, Scene VII

History doesn't repeat itself - at best it sometimes rhymes -- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Zandoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
KittyKitten
Nerdysillysweetspicysaucy

KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandoz View Post
It's not something I'd even consider one way or another. But having seen your pics happyface, you are beautiful. I'd say no worries.

Thank you, Zandoz. I used to hate it, but now I feel ok.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

In this day and age i'm really surprised when I see people with very noticeable dental issues. I don't mean to come off snotty about it but I don't understand why people don't get those issues fixed. Is it a money thing for most?

I have a younger sister with some teeth overlapping and I know it bothers her a lot. I can't figure out why my parents didn't get her braces as my Dad had awesome dental coverage. My Grandma always says it creates character. But I know my sister would love to have straighter teeth.

I have a friend who had a noticeable gap between her two front teeth and as soon as she had her own dental as an adult, she got it fixed and it really changed the way she felt about herself.

I feel super-fortunate to have straight teeth!
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
randomjenerator
Mind the Lexical Gap

randomjenerator has super-sized reprandomjenerator has super-sized reprandomjenerator has super-sized reprandomjenerator has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlysomething View Post
In this day and age i'm really surprised when I see people with very noticeable dental issues. I don't mean to come off snotty about it but I don't understand why people don't get those issues fixed. Is it a money thing for most?

!
I'd say in the US, it is most definitely money related. Dental services are expensive, sometimes even WITH insurance. Health care here is a sad state of affairs. I have very healthy teeth, no cavities. I also have a slight overbite and one slightly crooked tooth on the bottom. I like it and it never warranted correction.
randomjenerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
For most people, yes, it's a money thing. And a fear thing. A lot of people are terrified of dentists, because as kids they're told by their parents, "If you're not good the dentist is going to give you a SHOT!" Burt sees this stuff all the time, and it just causes the kids to act out worse.

Most people won't go until their teeth hurt (preventative care? What's that?) and by then it's usually pretty spendy to fix. Medicaid only does amalgam (silver) fillings and if a tooth is too far gone and can't be restored, it will get pulled, leaving a nice big hole.

Quote:
I have a younger sister with some teeth overlapping and I know it bothers her a lot. I can't figure out why my parents didn't get her braces as my Dad had awesome dental coverage. My Grandma always says it creates character. But I know my sister would love to have straighter teeth.
In my own case, my brother had far worse malocclusion than I did so he got braces TWICE. Dental insurance often covers orthodontia but usually a limited amount. My daughter's $7k bill, yes that's $7,000.00, was only reimbursed to $1000, max. My teeth are beautiful -- only have a handful of tooth colored fillings -- but my upper arch is significantly larger than my lower jaw so in order to truly "fix" mine, it would require breaking my jaw, placing a bone graft, and only THEN could I have braces. My teeth don't come near to functioning the way they're supposed to and I have the abnormal wear patterns, headaches and jaw click to prove it. So in addition to probably $7-8 thousand in braces, I'd end up paying another few thousand in surgical fees. And these surgeries are rarely totally successful and usually result in pain and continuing dysfunction on some level.

Quote:
I have a friend who had a noticeable gap between her two front teeth and as soon as she had her own dental as an adult, she got it fixed and it really changed the way she felt about herself.

I feel super-fortunate to have straight teeth!
Good for her! And good for you!
Old 06-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default He not busy being born is busy dying....

Quote:
"In this day and age i'm really surprised when I see people with very noticeable dental issues. I don't mean to come off snotty about it but I don't understand why people don't get those issues fixed. Is it a money thing for most?"
Well, not to politicize things; but, here in the States, we're just coming-off a Congressional battle over health-care that's lasted longer than most of us have been alive. And it's imbuded with all sorts of issues of poverty and austerity and class and states' rights, etc.. So; yeah; lots of people in America ignore much more serious-health issues because they simply don't have an alternative, just as they ignore smaller issues until they escalate into life-threatening ones, and continue to ignore them long after that. It's changing. But it will take more time than some of us have.

Quote:
"My Grandma always says it creates character."
Well, then it sounds like your crazy-grandma may've had a hand in writing the Republican's plan for Health-Care Reform...I kid! I kid!

This might be more than the OP or anyone wants to know, but my too-candid perspective is this: When it comes to "minor-irregularities," the way the person responds to the "issue" psychologically, almost always seems to overshadow any negative effect of the issue of itself. Or at least "always" in my personal experience.

I used to talk to this one girl who didn't like something about the shape of her mouth. (And I won't go into any more detail as to the specific nature of it out of concern that she might come across this; out of a sense of, I dunno, her privacy?). To me, she was pretty, and only mildly distinctive in appearance, if at all. In fact, I actually liked/favorably-appreciated the distinctiveness of her features on an aesthetic-level, before really getting to know her. But I would consider myself a little more observant than the average person; so, maybe-even the average-person (whoever that is?!) would fail to actually notice this particular aspect of her features absent of it being pointed out. (Just as I've looked at both the OP's and Miss Vickie profile photos in other contexts/threads and failed to notice, either precisely or in general, anything irregular; that is other than that I remember feeling more favorable toward Miss Vickie's profile photo relative to her avatar for a reason that I'll delve further into below)

Anyway, as it pertains to the subject of anecdote, I only really became specifically conscious of this girl's particular distinctive feature in light of this conversation we'd had: She was showing me pictures of this cruise she'd taken. And if kind of jumped out to me that, in spite of how much fun she'd said it was and how fun it seemed based on her descriptions of everything that'd happened, it didn't seem like she was too happy in the photos. She wasn't smiling! At all. Not one smile in one picture.

And, maybe, I was subconsciously freaked-out by that and thus distracted from my better judgement; because, I just casually and without too-much foresight, too casually it now seems in retro-spect, just asked her why. And thus she explained that her smiling accentuated/drew attention to this particular feature she was unhappy with. And, again, naively, short-sighted, however you want to call-it; I reasoned; I told her that I like the way she looked, because of it, in spite of it, six ways to sunday; that her not smiling was the larger issue, etc... Of course, none of that really translates...a least not in that moment.

So, I would say, if you can afford to improve your choppers, go for it! But, if you can't, or at least for as long as until you can't, compensate in some manner that expresses your openness to others: Have a great handshake. Look people in the eye. If you can find it in yourself to smile or laugh and you want to, then do it. If you can't smile, then at least smirk....
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
Paquito
don't July to me

Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!

As far as other people go, I don't think that having "imperfect" teeth is a dealbreaker. Gaps, overbites, whatever, it's a case-by-case kind of thing.

But for me, I'm pretty self-conscious about my smile. Big front tooth gap, gaps between a bunch of teeth, overbite, you name it. I was pretty fortunate to get braces about 4 months ago, and I already feel better about my teeth (even though I'm a metalmouth). It's not like I loathed my smile before the braces, but I wasn't particularly confident in showing my teeth. I haven't taken a picture open-mouthed in years. It's just something that I ultimately did for self-esteem, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Also, braces are hella expensive, at least in the U.S. Considering that I don't really have any non-cosmetic things to fix about my teeth (aside from a slight overbite), it cost about $4,000. Luckily we have decent insurance, but with all of the moving I did as a kid and expenses, I had to wait a while to finally get braces.
Paquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
disconnectedsmile
RATING: AWESOME

disconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
my teeth are pretty fucked up.
i hate them.
they cause me no end of embarrassment.
9 times out of 10, i don't smile in photos. i cover my mouth when i laugh. i dislike living this way.
oh say, why don't i get them fixed? GEE I NEVER FUCKING THOUGHT OF THAT.
let me just dig into my bank account and... oh that's right, i can't afford braces.

you may not mean to come off snotty, but you do anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral_Snackbar View Post
"I'M A ZEBRA, I'M A ZEBRA, FUCK YOU, I'M A ZEBRA!"
disconnectedsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #12
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnectedsmile View Post
my teeth are pretty fucked up.
i hate them.
they cause me no end of embarrassment.
9 times out of 10, i don't smile in photos. i cover my mouth when i laugh. i dislike living this way.
oh say, why don't i get them fixed? GEE I NEVER FUCKING THOUGHT OF THAT.
let me just dig into my bank account and... oh that's right, i can't afford braces.

you may not mean to come off snotty, but you do anyway.

No, in hindsight I didn't come off snotty and if you think so that's only because your teeth bother you. I was curious. And it really does seem like a money issue for most which is something my middle class upbringing fortunately didn't have to deal with very often. It's unforunate that a lot of people can't afford to fix their teeth. Maybe if you had yours fixed you'd come off as a nicer person. See how that works? Both ways.

And as far as attractiveness, nice teeth are something I look for in a potential guy. Yep. Can't help what you like.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
Frankie
No longer a member

Frankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Ah, teeth - a subject that Vickie knows is near and dear to my heart!

I have a gap between my two front teeth. For the past 15 years or so, I've camouflaged the gap with bonding, and no one has been the wiser. My new dentist will replace the bonding later this year with veneers (very fine veneers that won't require my natural teeth to be ground down). He explained that most folks with gaps in their top two front teeth have a large frenulum under their upper lip that pulls on the gums and creates the gap. He tried to talk me into getting Invisalign to close the gap, but for this to work in the long run, I would need to wear a retainer every night for the rest of my life or else my frenulum would pull my teeth apart again. My dentist also suggested I have surgery to cut the frenulum! I'm not interested in going to all that trouble for what's merely a cosmetic issue. I decided I'd rather go with veneers. I might even opt to veneer more than just the two gappy teeth.

I don't care for the gap in my own teeth, but I admire the gaps that other people have. They often look unique and add character, and I don't assume that they're something that requires correction. Oral health is one thing, but aesthetics are something else. I would choose strong, yellow, gappy teeth over straight, white, weak teeth any day.
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
Adrian
??

Adrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging in
Default Re: Buck teeth/Overbites

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyface83 View Post
Do any men out there like women with buck teeth/overbites? I have a slight overbite and for the longest time, I felt self-conscious. I was just curious if some men found overbites sexy on a woman. Yeah, this is so random....
I have a slight over-bite but, it does not displease me enough to speak to a dentist about it the many time I have seen the dentist.
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandoz View Post
Agreed on all counts.

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #16
Diana_Prince245
Wise as Athena

Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I was blessed with nearly perfect teeth (I like to think it was God trying to make up for my being the family midget), but my mother has had horrible problems with hers, culminating in having two bottom teeth pulled, three years of braces, and some sort of implant to replace the bottom teeth after she was done with braces. The cost was well into five figures, but she's much more confident now and doesn't have to worry about getting dentures later. With her schleroderma, her doctor told her dentures often can't be fitted properly and people with schelorderma wind up having to just be toothless.

I wish we could all at least be blessed with teeth that didn't cause health problems.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #17
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

With regard to the original post, I think we tend to see those things in the mirror far more than we see them across the table, and that even if we notice them across the table at first, we quickly get used to them and stop noticing it.

With regard to braces: of course not everyone can afford them. They are bloody expensive, not covered by public health care except in extreme cases, and even when you have private health care orthodontics are often either not covered or have a very low lifetime cap on costs.

We are pretty solidly middle-classed, but paying for my son’s braces has replaced saving for vacations for a three year span. If we’d had another kid near the same age who also needed orthotics, I don’t know what we would have done. Then again, perhaps I do...my older brother had braces, but I just had a few teeth pulled to make enough room for the others, and still have a bit of an overbite and a bit of a cross bite. Dentists keep suggesting I get my jaw broke, re-set, then wired shut for six months. No thanks—the cross bite matches my crooked nose
Old 06-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #18
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

When I was a kid, I fell off a tall porch and landed on my face, breaking one of my front teeth. My parents had so-so dental insurance and it was repaired at some expense to them. They were told it would last maybe ten years before I needed a replacement.

That was right on time and underneath they found a cavity so my dentist had to grind the tooth even smaller and also put a new porcelain veneer over it. At the time I had my own dental insurance so my out of pocket was not horrible.

Then, days before I got married ten years ago, I bit into a bagel and the tooth crumbled. Able to do an emergency fix for the wedding, my dentist told me I was in imminent danger of losing this tooth, a front tooth, but over the years although I had insurance and my husband had insurance, it had become prohibitively expensive.

I sought a consult with a specialist and at that point needed a root canal if they could save the tooth at all, in which case I would need an implant costing up to 10K.
Because of the location of the tooth I was frankly told it would be very very painful and no matter what I chose to do to repair it, very expensive in spite of insurance.

I didn't openly smile for over ten years as the tooth began to darken. I was ashamed of my smile and I knew we are all judged first by appearance. I knew that people would dismiss me and some would (and did) think I was trash or slovenly because of that one tooth, no matter how untrue those assumptions were or how well I took care of myself.

I choose not to let people who make those assumptions close to me anymore because I know how it feels to be harshly judged.

Last year I was able to have it repaired. It required an agonizing root canal that was prolonged due to frequent infections and allergic reactions to antibiotics. I ended up paying nearly $2000 out of pocket even with a premium dental insurance policy.

Not everything is as it seems when it comes to appearances.

Happyface, you are lovely. I don't discount your concerns at all. I understand them. If they bother you then by all means, change it if you like or if you're satisfied, don't, but to me I only see a beautiful woman with a charming smile.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.

Last edited by CastingPearls; 06-23-2011 at 01:14 PM.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #19
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

Used to have an overbite of 12mm. It's now less than half that, but still a little noticeable. I tend not to show my teeth when I smile anyways.
The Orange Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #20
Angel
no apologies for being me

Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnectedsmile View Post
GEE I NEVER FUCKING THOUGHT OF THAT.
Smile anyway.

Just think. You could be ugly inside, and nothing cosmetic (including braces, etc.) would or could fix that.
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #21
Angel
no apologies for being me

Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange Mage View Post
I tend not to show my teeth when I smile anyways.
You have a cute smile.
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:13 AM   #22
sweetfrancaise

sweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going on

happyface83, I think you have a lovely smile. And the overbite? Not noticeable until you said something, and even then I had trouble seeing anything wrong.

I've always found slight overbites endearing, but then again, contrary to the prevalent SoCal ideal (perfect teeth, perfect tan, perfect hair, perfect body), I like teeth that aren't straight, white and even. I find them rather alien. Having normal teeth shows you weren't forced into this weird aesthetic many dentists have (I don't have much respect for dentists--too many have been disappointed that I didn't have cavities or needed braces). I've got a gap in my front teeth--it used to bother me, but enough people don't notice it, or think it's endearing that I don't care any longer. And I almost always show my teeth when I smile.

Love who you are. Every bit of you.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #23
luvbigfellas
Has lips like morphine

luvbigfellas carries a lot of weight on this boardluvbigfellas carries a lot of weight on this boardluvbigfellas carries a lot of weight on this boardluvbigfellas carries a lot of weight on this boardluvbigfellas carries a lot of weight on this boardluvbigfellas carries a lot of weight on this board

I have an overbite, but it doesn't seem to affect my teeth alignment, so they kind of left that alone. I had crooked bottom teeth, got braces, the retainer snapped off, they've gotten a bit crooked again. Nothing too noticeable. I actually ought to have my teeth filed to make them even again. I only show my top teeth when I smile anyway.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #24
bobsjers

bobsjers has said some nice things

Some people can not wear braces, because their mother took antibiotics when they were pregnant. This causes the teeth to be in poor condition, and the teeth could not withstand braces. They would litrally disolve under the braces.
bobsjers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #25
Miss Vickie

Just saw my dentist this week and my bite discrepancy (overbite, overjet and diastama) are so bad that I'm literally wearing my teeth down. So he asked if I'd considered braces. I've been asking for them for years but all the other dentists said I couldn't have them, but he thinks it's a good idea. My bite is so dysfunctional that it's likely contributing to my headaches and ruining my teeth.

So even though people think it's cute, it can definitely -- when extreme -- cause significant problems. I will probably still have an overbite to some extent but they're going to bring mine back to a more functional place.

I think my husband, the Dental Dude (he's a dental assistant and teaches dental assisting) will be bummed because he loves my gap and overbite but he knows that we need to get this taken care of so I'll have teeth when I'm 80.

And bobsjers, tetracycline doesn't cause weakened enamel. It causes discolored enamel but not weakened. Weakened enamel is, unfortunately, a genetic phenomenon that we don't fully understand. I've never heard of braces causing the enamel to crumble, although it can be weakened at the point where the brackets are bonded to the teeth; however the bite problems can definitely cause enamel to wear, which is what I'm dealing with right now.