Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Health Forum

Old 08-09-2017, 11:40 PM   #1
DragonFly
Ahem Prema

DragonFly knows EXACTLY what's going onDragonFly knows EXACTLY what's going onDragonFly knows EXACTLY what's going onDragonFly knows EXACTLY what's going onDragonFly knows EXACTLY what's going onDragonFly knows EXACTLY what's going onDragonFly knows EXACTLY what's going on
Default Natural Remedies and Homeopathic Suggestions

I am a big fan of essential oils and aroma therapy. I have lots of recipies that I use to make essential oil sprays and essential oil blends for different things. Anyone else into the gentler path of using the earth based things to help us feel better. I take a tone of medications and will do that to live my best life, but I find being able to get relief from other things like this, and meditating both with mantras and guided Meditation. I would love to share expierences and suggestions.
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:14 AM   #2
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

While I firmly believe in natural & herbal remedies, I have many reservations regarding actual homeopathy.

Hot, strong sage tea with honey remains the best throat decongestant there is, leagues above any chemical stuff. Or ginger or fennel seed for stomach and digestive issues. Salt water therapy for all sorts of skin and mobility issues.
And there are many more, like special vitamin and trace mineral combinations that go a long way in helping treat or manage all sorts of conditions.

But things like homeopathic globules, Schussler salts or bio-resonance therapy with electric waves ... most of that is pseudo-science, its main positive effects being on the bank account of the provider.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:54 AM   #3
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Arnica works wonders on life's little bumps: it relieves the pain of bruises, contusions, and abrasions. And valerian is good for insomnia. I take it in capsules; it smells awful but promotes relaxation. Some people prefer it in tea, but I've never tried it that way.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #4
Tracii

Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Being from the mountains of Eastern Kentucky we always treated things in a homeopathic way because thats how everybody else did it.
For honey to be effective you needed to use honey that was harvested within a 25 mile radius. We raised bees so we had our own honey.
When I was little I got a wart on my finger so my Granny said go get a piece of bacon fat rub it all over the wart and bury the remainder in the yard and forget where you buried it. It did work because within a month or two the wart was gone.
We used sassafras root for tooth aches, honey and lemon in tea for sore throats.
Boiled Kudzu leaves to pull infections out of wounds.
So much I can't remember a lot of them.
Tracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #5
ScouseFA

ScouseFA has super-sized repScouseFA has super-sized repScouseFA has super-sized repScouseFA has super-sized repScouseFA has super-sized rep

There's a world of difference between home remedies which are often herbal in nature and have a proven efficacy, and homeopathy which is effectively sugar pills doused in water. I'm a big fan tiger balm whenever I have a cold.
ScouseFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM   #6
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Decades ago I live in France for a couple of years, and homeopathy was all the rage there at the time, apparently. It was often claimed that the more dilute the solution was, the better. I remember watching one news show where they showed that many of the treatments on sale would have less than one molecule of the reported substance per recommended dose. It kind of inspired me to ignore anything with "homeopathy" in the name.

But as with anything, I suspect that there are merits in the basics, and it is people trying to sell 'new and improved' versions or to push into new markets that drive things to extremes. I do believe that there are a lot of things naturally occurring which we either need or can benefit from.

I have a couple that aren't medicinal, but maybe fit in here?

I've become a big fan of my Netti-Pot. I'd vaguely heard that Oprah had been raving about them, but ignored all of that until I had a sinus infection and a doctor demanded indignantly why, with my history of congestion and infections, I wasn't using one? I started using one, and it has really helped with the congestion, it reduces my allergies and reduces the impact of colds, and I think I even sleep better for breathing better. It doesn't make these things go away, but it makes them less severe. (and apparently this is something they've used in India for centuries, it was just that someone more recently commercialized it in the western world). Oh, and I just make my own mix using kosher salt and a bit of baking soda, rather than buying the pre-made packets of salts, so it keeps the price down.

One thing that I've learned from physiotherapy is that a lot of joint pain comes from chronically tight muscles that aren't letting a joint move properly. Stretching can help, but some muscles are easier to stretch than others. Something my awesome physiotherapist told me is that for the outside of the thighs (and I later learned the front of the thighs too), you can take a rolling pin to it. It sounds odd, but we bought a spare rolling pin, and I get myself propped up in bed or the couch, with the leg I'm working on along the edge. Key is getting it so that the muscles are relaxed. The roll upward (toward the heart) some first, finding the sore spots, then can do smaller back and forth rolling on tight/sore areas. I don't do it as often as I should because it is a bit of a bother, but it makes SUCH a difference when I do. (granted that I do a fair bit of walking and biking and have some knee and ankle damage that I'm instinctively protecting, so I might tighten up more than most people).
Old Today, 12:45 AM   #7
DragonFly
Ahem Prema

DragonFly knows EXACTLY what's going onDragonFly knows EXACTLY what's going onDragonFly knows EXACTLY what's going onDragonFly knows EXACTLY what's going onDragonFly knows EXACTLY what's going onDragonFly knows EXACTLY what's going onDragonFly knows EXACTLY what's going on

I'm really enjoying this thread! From Neti Pots to essential oils, there is so much that I know I should do but don't. I learned from a trained aroma therapist on how to make sprays. I do lavender ones for a few friends to help with sleep. They are are a big hit.
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:30 AM   #8
ScouseFA

ScouseFA has super-sized repScouseFA has super-sized repScouseFA has super-sized repScouseFA has super-sized repScouseFA has super-sized rep

I'm from the uk, what on Earth is a Netti pot?
ScouseFA is offline   Reply With Quote