Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Health Forum

Old 07-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Scorsese86
Likeable conservative

Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default I Am Struggling With Depression

I don't know where else to post this, but I am new to this page, like it a lot, nothing to do with that, but I have a major health problem. I am not overweight, and it has nothing to do with my love with BBW to do...

...I am a clinical depressive, and have been in therapy for two years. I just wondered if anyone else have struggeled with depression, know how to get out of it and such.

Sorry, if this ain't the right place to post this kind of thing.

Last edited by Risible; 07-11-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Scorsese86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

This is the right forum to post in. You don't have to be any particular size, gender, ethnicity, orientation or faith to post your health problem here. Just remember, if you are having a serious health problem (and based on your description of "major", I'm guessing your's is serious) you need to see a professional for real help.

That said, there are several threads started by other Dims members on depression here in the Health forum. There is this thread; I don't know if this is something you suffer from. Here is another thread; this one may be more helpful to you.

I didn't scroll through all the pages contained in the Health forum, though I believe there may be other threads you'd be interested in.

And, again, please consider seeing a doctor for professional advice. Depression is a very serious condition.

Risible
Health forum moderator

Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Struggled with it my whole life, Scorsese. And I think that you'll find a lot of understanding people here to talk to.

And Risible is right, of course, depression is a serious thing and something that you can't go through totally alone. Talk to someone who can help.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Scorsese86
Likeable conservative

Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Scorsese86 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Thanks.
Yeah, I see a shrink, and I am in a group, and I'm trying really to do something about it... I mean, things are looking better now than it did just a couple of months ago, but I've had good periods before, then fallen way down again.
Scorsese86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorsese86 View Post
Thanks.
Yeah, I see a shrink, and I am in a group, and I'm trying really to do something about it... I mean, things are looking better now than it did just a couple of months ago, but I've had good periods before, then fallen way down again.
And it will be like that for a while..maybe even forever.

But those better times do make up for it, in the long run.

I have a ring that has etched on it the translation of a Latin saying which is:

One single bright day equals all the black ones
Old 07-14-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
Scorsese86
Likeable conservative

It seems you know what I'm talking about, and that's a shame.

But I hope the good periods will be more often, and I'm just sick and tired of being always sad, crying and feeling like the ugliest and most stupid person in the room, if I walk into a pub, a coffee shop or anything. I've sort of tried to push myself a little more, not to choose isolation and keeping away from crowds, and things are going better. My anixety level has shrunk quite a bit, but the depression is still hanging over me... a little too much. I'd just like to be a little more positive towards myself. My shrink says it's a good thing that I realize all that now at least, that's a form of beginning...

Gee... sorry for my bad English
Old 07-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Your English is just fine.

And it IS good that you are realizing and dealing with all of this now. It will improve, even if sometimes that seems impossible.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
Scorsese86
Likeable conservative

Thanks a lot for the nice words. It means a lot. I've been a bit up-and-down now lately. It's fine to be up, but it sucks being down. My shrink and my therapy group has had a little summer holiday, but it has gone better than I expected... they gave me a number I could call if I needed it in the summer break, but I haven't used it.
Going back to therapy on Wednesday anyway, so... yeah.

And thanks for being so nice to my English
Old 08-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

Actually, your English is very good. I wish our education emphasized a foreign language more here in America. Most people I know who were born and educated here in the U.S. don't know a second language.

Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:48 PM   #10
Scorsese86
Likeable conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risible View Post
Actually, your English is very good. I wish our education emphasized a foreign language more here in America. Most people I know who were born and educated here in the U.S. don't know a second language.
Thanks. I guess I'm not the worst in English, but it's different when you talk (erm, write) with people that has English as their original language. I feel.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #11
Scorsese86
Likeable conservative

Thanks for those replies... I feel really low today, my mood couldn't be worse. I don't know why the heck I'm writing this... I just feel so sad... oh, good to know about those nice replies, and also pm's that people has sent since I posted this the first time.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #12
steely

steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm sorry you're feeling low today.Some days are better than others.Just wanted to let you know I'm listening.
steely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:54 PM   #13
southernfa

southernfa never has a post go unnoticedsouthernfa never has a post go unnoticedsouthernfa never has a post go unnoticedsouthernfa never has a post go unnoticedsouthernfa never has a post go unnoticedsouthernfa never has a post go unnoticedsouthernfa never has a post go unnoticed

In as much as I have any right to comment on such things I have found the following to be useful;
1. If you need help, don't hesitate to ask for it. If you need to take medication, do so.
2. No matter how black the darkness gets, it simply is not true. You are not it and it is not you.
3. There is always hope.
4. There are some simple practical steps you can take that may help. I have found the following to be useful;
- Keep good company. In the people you associate with, the books you read, the music you listen to, the thoughts you entertain, the places you go; choose the ones that make you feel lighter and happier. Be polite but ruthless about this. Choose to not associate with negative influences.
- Exercise. It gives you a natural high (endorphins?) that lasts and also helps stabilise sleep patterns which is also useful in itself.
- Do some charity work. It is really useful to go help other people for a bit; gets you out of your own head for a while.
- Don't spend prolonged periods on your own.

Since you live in the far north, make sure you get enough sunlight, or eat lots of fish or take Vitamin D supplements or something.

"There isn't enough darkness in the whole world to extinguish the light of one, small candle" - Spanish proverb

Good luck
southernfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:04 AM   #14
Scorsese86
Likeable conservative

Southernfa, all your suggestions are very good, and thanks for posting. You too, steeley.

I feel much better today. Had a long talk with my mother on the phone last night, and got some of the sadness out of me there, plus a good night sleep. I feel completely different today.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #15
alison.victoria

alison.victoria can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesalison.victoria can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesalison.victoria can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. It's good to know that you have someone you can talk to that can help you feel better. Me, I just sit and mire in it because I don't really have anyone to talk to, and I wouldn't even know what to say anyways...
alison.victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #16
steely

steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alison.victoria View Post
I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. It's good to know that you have someone you can talk to that can help you feel better. Me, I just sit and mire in it because I don't really have anyone to talk to, and I wouldn't even know what to say anyways...
You sound just like meI'd rather not even bother to try to explain it,even if I could.

Glad things are a little bettter Scorsese86.
steely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:27 AM   #17
LalaCity

LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!

I have shied away from this thread because it hits too close to home for me. Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. It's difficult to speak about this on a public forum, but you are always welcome to PM me.
LalaCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:41 AM   #18
Shosh
Susannah

Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfa View Post
In as much as I have any right to comment on such things I have found the following to be useful;
1. If you need help, don't hesitate to ask for it. If you need to take medication, do so.
2. No matter how black the darkness gets, it simply is not true. You are not it and it is not you.
3. There is always hope.
4. There are some simple practical steps you can take that may help. I have found the following to be useful;
- Keep good company. In the people you associate with, the books you read, the music you listen to, the thoughts you entertain, the places you go; choose the ones that make you feel lighter and happier. Be polite but ruthless about this. Choose to not associate with negative influences.
- Exercise. It gives you a natural high (endorphins?) that lasts and also helps stabilise sleep patterns which is also useful in itself.
- Do some charity work. It is really useful to go help other people for a bit; gets you out of your own head for a while.
- Don't spend prolonged periods on your own.

Since you live in the far north, make sure you get enough sunlight, or eat lots of fish or take Vitamin D supplements or something.

"There isn't enough darkness in the whole world to extinguish the light of one, small candle" - Spanish proverb

Good luck
That is really good and sound advice.
Shosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #19
Scorsese86
Likeable conservative

Also, a thing I am trying my best not to do is drink when I feel down. It's so easy to take a bottle of Jack Daniel's and drink, drink, drink when I feel down. I've been trying lately to rather talk, go for a walk, anything but drink alcohol when I'm so down as I can be. I mean, it's so easy, I know, for lot of depressed people to take alcohol and expect to feel better, but that's just for a short period of time. I feel worse afterwards, guilty 'cause I drank, so stupid for drinking alone etc. etc. For anyone who thinks that the answer to depression is in the bottom of a bottle, it isn't. Believe me, I've tried.

Also, the "Don't spend prolonged periods on your own" is perhaps my next big thing to do something about...
Old 09-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #20
lily352

lily352 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeslily352 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

It is a good idea to stay away from alcohol when you are depressed. My friends never understand why I don't want to have drinks when I'm feeling down. But I've learned that the day after drinking will leave me feeling even lower.
Talking really is a great thing. I've only recently started participating here, but it's helps knowing there are people who understand and have been there. It's also nice to distract myself from my depression. I've gone through bad periods of depression before, and I know that things will turn around. It's best to stay as active as possible. That is not easy, but I try to take as many small steps as I can.
lily352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #21
southernfa

southernfa never has a post go unnoticedsouthernfa never has a post go unnoticedsouthernfa never has a post go unnoticedsouthernfa never has a post go unnoticedsouthernfa never has a post go unnoticedsouthernfa never has a post go unnoticedsouthernfa never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorsese86 View Post
Also, a thing I am trying my best not to do is drink when I feel down. It's so easy to take a bottle of Jack Daniel's and drink, drink, drink when I feel down. I've been trying lately to rather talk, go for a walk, anything but drink alcohol when I'm so down as I can be. I mean, it's so easy, I know, for lot of depressed people to take alcohol and expect to feel better, but that's just for a short period of time. I feel worse afterwards, guilty 'cause I drank, so stupid for drinking alone etc. etc. For anyone who thinks that the answer to depression is in the bottom of a bottle, it isn't. Believe me, I've tried.

Also, the "Don't spend prolonged periods on your own" is perhaps my next big thing to do something about...
Well seen. Good for you. Alcohol and other "social" drugs definitely fall into the bad company category particularly because of their apparent attractiveness.

Here is a challenge for you; give that which you think you most lack.

Good luck
Old 09-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #22
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I really hope you're feeling better than when you posted this!
Sometimes I take comfort in knowing I'm not the only one that suffers from depression.

I've noticed no one has mentioned medications and I'm glad!
Talking, and being around people helps far more than any pill(and I've tried them all), but on those dark days..... I know the feeling, when nothing or no one can drag you back to "happiness"...

SouthernFA has some really great points there too, being alone for a great length of time seems to make depressive types "burrow" deeper inside themselves. From time to time, just contact on Dims or an IM means the start of a good day or a bad one. Friends are friends, no matter how far apart you are

Welcome to Dimensions!!
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #23
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default It's Behind Me

From 1974-to-1983 I was a severe drinker, drinking
myself to loss of consciousness dozens of times
between 1974 and 1976. I had been medicated for
depression for most of my 14 year marriage. I've
worked through my issues and finally have peace.
I am very aware that I have an obsessive/compulsive/
addictive personality and I guard my thoughts. Imfree
is more than a cute screen name, it's a life goal.

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #24
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Depression stinks. Clinical depression runs in my family, and I also have a couple of conditions (fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue) that can cause depression just on their own. So yes, I struggle with it. Throw into the mix that life is always sending challenges and difficulties our way (and usually more than one at a time) and it can be rough. You're not alone.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #25
southernfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missblueyedeath View Post
...being alone for a great length of time seems to make depressive types "burrow" deeper inside themselves. From time to time, just contact on Dims or an IM means the start of a good day or a bad one. Friends are friends, no matter how far apart you are
We are a societal species. Someone told me once that we need six meaningful conversations a day. Grunting at the bus-driver or your neighbour doesn't count and verbal conversations work better than written ones (one of the downsides of the virtual world).

Tags
depression, health