Welcome to the Dimensions Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #2326
Post_Ironic

Post_Ironic can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
There's no one thing I can point to that Springsteen's head & shoulders the very best at (singing, guitar-playing, fluency with other instruments, arrangement, song-writing, performance, connection with audience, political-savy, cultural awareness, ect..) But he's just so strong all round.

He's like a second Elvis. If the first Elvis could write (his own) songs like Bob Dylan. And hadn't fallen to the effects of drug abuse.

If I were coaching someone who wanted to do something in music, be it professionally or as just a hobbyist or even some form of therapy, Springsteen is the example I would point to, the template, the blueprint for how to approach it. He just attacks it, persists. He's more than proven himself so many times over, reinvented himself different ways; but he's also totally exacting.

The only thing that holds someone like him back is how high he's already set the bar. Like, some of his lesser work, if it'd just been released under someone else, like one of these American Idol people or someone like that; it probably would've been better received.

And so, Springsteen....cannot be out-Springsteened. But yet, people try:
I found a near-mint of Springsteen's debut LP Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ a few weeks ago. I was so psyched. Not a scratch on the record. Songs like Lost in the Flood and It's Hard to be a Saint in the City, magical. That has to be one of the best debut albums ever. It's still his best, especially lyrically, in my opinion.
Post_Ironic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #2327
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default ^We have a number of different music threads around here...

There's even one along the lines of "Post two (or three?) of your favorite or what you think are the best two consecutive (studio-only?) albums."

For me, Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ and The Wild, the Innocent, & the E-Street Shuffle are probably among some of the better 1st &-2nd combinations out there. (Of course, adding Born to Run also makes for a pretty good 1st-3rd as well.) As I mentioned up-thread, I'm much more of an album-guy than so dialed-in to one or another particular style of music.

So, in spite of how the two are very comparable in terms of style and overall quality; maybe that's why I tend to lean a bit more towards the later. The whole story, the context of it...his motivations at the time, getting all of those guys together. Even through the possibility of his realizing that it wasn't ultimately sustainable. It makes for kind of an interesting recipe.

I will also admit that, for me, at least some of the appeal in it has to do with how, like Nebraska or The Ghost of Tom Joad, it's lost on such a good part of his audience. Of which I'm not so credible a participant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthine View Post
"The saxophone is just really satisfying. I feel like I should do something to this song, but I don't know what."
You know, just listening to it, there is particular type of setting that most immediately comes to mind. But, to say much more would give you all the wrong impression. As per the real focus of my attention, come-late afternoon. Weekdays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthine View Post
"The...everything here is satisfying. I feel like I should do all the things. "
This is only one I really didn't like. I mean, I like some metal. I enjoy swing. I like -the idea of- being experimental and progressive....but...this just sounds so intentionally busy?

Also, for about a minute, the Catfish thread had me listing to a bunch of this guy's catalogue; just some fun, clever stuff:

Short People - Randy Newman
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:00 AM   #2328
LeoGibson
Partyin' at the moontower

LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!

Just because to day is that kind of day. Here's a triple shot to get it going!

Sweet Jane - The Velvet Underground

Personality Crisis - The New York Dolls

People Who Died - The Jim Carroll Band

Bonus Track: A Million Miles Away - The Plimsouls
Old 04-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #2329
Rojodi
Master Member

Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

"In Hollywood (Everybody Is a Star)"
The Village People

Yes, it's "Disco Rog" time!!!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #2330
ClutchingIA19
Never Follow

ClutchingIA19 makes people happy simply by logging inClutchingIA19 makes people happy simply by logging inClutchingIA19 makes people happy simply by logging inClutchingIA19 makes people happy simply by logging inClutchingIA19 makes people happy simply by logging inClutchingIA19 makes people happy simply by logging inClutchingIA19 makes people happy simply by logging inClutchingIA19 makes people happy simply by logging in

I Love L.A. by OMC
Old 04-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #2331
kilo riley
Master Member

kilo riley makes people happy simply by logging inkilo riley makes people happy simply by logging inkilo riley makes people happy simply by logging inkilo riley makes people happy simply by logging inkilo riley makes people happy simply by logging inkilo riley makes people happy simply by logging inkilo riley makes people happy simply by logging in

Look at his facial expression at 3:00. What a legend.

http://youtu.be/VATmgtmR5o4
kilo riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #2332
LeoGibson
Partyin' at the moontower

LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!

Here ya go HeavyDuty24. Since you got lve for them H-town boyz I thought you might like this original, and the cover that another Houston legend did of it.

25 Lighters

I Gotsta Get Paid
Old 04-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #2333
Post_Ironic

Post_Ironic can now change their title

I just found an old King 45' of Charlie Feathers in a Vancouver record shop today. So amazing. Can't Hardly Stand It and Everybody's Lovin' My Baby. It cost a pretty penny. $75. So worth it though. Playing and replaying it tonight after a good washing. Perfect sound.

Can't Hardly Stand It
Post_Ironic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #2334
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Yakatori has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default ^Ah...that's insane. Can't see myself spending like that for "just a record"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozay J Garseeya View Post
"I hate when someone's validity as a musician contrasts with them as a person."
Yeah, it's difficult for me as well. Makes we wonder if I just care too much. Because, at times, I get these feelings. Of that I just know what a box of tools this guy & his friends must be. Yet, it's not quite enough to just outright resist his channeling of that Ray Davies type of quality:

Ode to Viceroy - Mac DeMarco
Old 04-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #2335
ClutchingIA19
Never Follow

ClutchingIA19 makes people happy simply by logging inClutchingIA19 makes people happy simply by logging inClutchingIA19 makes people happy simply by logging inClutchingIA19 makes people happy simply by logging inClutchingIA19 makes people happy simply by logging inClutchingIA19 makes people happy simply by logging inClutchingIA19 makes people happy simply by logging inClutchingIA19 makes people happy simply by logging in

Mad World by Tears For Fears
Old 04-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #2336
Ninja Glutton
Film and Music Geek

Ninja Glutton makes people happy simply by logging inNinja Glutton makes people happy simply by logging inNinja Glutton makes people happy simply by logging inNinja Glutton makes people happy simply by logging inNinja Glutton makes people happy simply by logging inNinja Glutton makes people happy simply by logging inNinja Glutton makes people happy simply by logging inNinja Glutton makes people happy simply by logging in

I can't stop listening to Sun Kil Moon.

Melancholy music is perfect for breezy spring days
Ninja Glutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #2337
ClutchingIA19
Never Follow

Nothing In My Way by Keane
Old 04-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #2338
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 makes people happy simply by logging inlucca23v2 makes people happy simply by logging inlucca23v2 makes people happy simply by logging inlucca23v2 makes people happy simply by logging inlucca23v2 makes people happy simply by logging inlucca23v2 makes people happy simply by logging inlucca23v2 makes people happy simply by logging in

ol' blue eyes..

Fly me to the moon
That's Life
I've got you under my skin
Summer Winds
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #2339
HeavyDuty24
Come on rise up

HeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post_Ironic View Post
I found a near-mint of Springsteen's debut LP Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ a few weeks ago. I was so psyched. Not a scratch on the record. Songs like Lost in the Flood and It's Hard to be a Saint in the City, magical. That has to be one of the best debut albums ever. It's still his best, especially lyrically, in my opinion.

There are SO many unreleased "scrapped" so to speak, Springsteen songs like "Cindy" and "Janey Needs A Shooter" that are so wonderful.

Last edited by HeavyDuty24 : 04-15-2014 at 06:02 PM.
HeavyDuty24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #2340
ClutchingIA19
Never Follow

Bottoms Up by Brantley Gilbert
Old 04-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #2341
mjbmxz

mjbmxz has said some nice things

MGMT-Electric Feel

Funky song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmZexg8sxyk
mjbmxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #2342
TwilightStarr
Master Member

TwilightStarr is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTwilightStarr is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTwilightStarr is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTwilightStarr is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTwilightStarr is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTwilightStarr is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTwilightStarr is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTwilightStarr is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTwilightStarr is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchingIA19 View Post
Bottoms Up by Brantley Gilbert
Love this song! Plus he is super hot in the video!!
TwilightStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #2343
HeavyDuty24
Come on rise up

HeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
Here ya go HeavyDuty24. Since you got lve for them H-town boyz I thought you might like this original, and the cover that another Houston legend did of it.

25 Lighters

I Gotsta Get Paid

Love it mayne! lol those were my jams! had the album! we jammed that all day and night lol.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #2344
Rojodi
Master Member

Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rojodi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Parliament
Flash Light
Old 04-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #2345
TwilightStarr
Master Member

TwilightStarr is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTwilightStarr is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTwilightStarr is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTwilightStarr is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTwilightStarr is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTwilightStarr is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTwilightStarr is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTwilightStarr is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTwilightStarr is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Modern Man's Hustle - Atmosphere
TwilightStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #2346
Ninja Glutton
Film and Music Geek

Ninja Glutton makes people happy simply by logging inNinja Glutton makes people happy simply by logging inNinja Glutton makes people happy simply by logging inNinja Glutton makes people happy simply by logging inNinja Glutton makes people happy simply by logging inNinja Glutton makes people happy simply by logging inNinja Glutton makes people happy simply by logging inNinja Glutton makes people happy simply by logging in

If you like punk, you owe it to yourself to check out The Menzingers.

Who knew Scranton, PA could produce such talent?

Well, other than Michael Scott & Co., of course.

Ninja Glutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #2347
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Default I like this song, but the video gives it a kind of puss-master quality:

Elevate - Grandaddy

However, in this case, the song itself is only so-so. But the video certainly elevates it, as it were:

Old 04-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #2348
Rojodi
Master Member

Village People
Go West
Old 04-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #2349
BrokenCassette

BrokenCassette can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesBrokenCassette can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Lately I've been obsessed with Sky Ferreira 's album 'Night time, My Time'. She's like early Madonna meets Lana del Rey which explains why I adore her
BrokenCassette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #2350
RentonBob
Hey. Are you that guy?

RentonBob makes people happy simply by logging inRentonBob makes people happy simply by logging inRentonBob makes people happy simply by logging inRentonBob makes people happy simply by logging inRentonBob makes people happy simply by logging inRentonBob makes people happy simply by logging inRentonBob makes people happy simply by logging inRentonBob makes people happy simply by logging in

I've been listening to this song by Queens of the Stone Age a lot lately

I Sat by the Ocean