Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Board Business

View Poll Results: "What Happened To...?" Threads
Leave the system as it is 6 46.15%
Post these threads in the forum where the person in question regularly posted 3 23.08%
Start a new forum for these types of threads 2 15.38%
Other (please explain) 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Threads Asking "What Ever Happened To...?"

Seeking word from moderators and opinions from all.

Every now and then, a thread will appear on the Main Board asking about someone who may have posted regularly but hasn't in a while.

Every time I see someone's name on the main board, I assume they've either appeared in mainstream media, or died.

Should such threads be placed in the sub-boards relevant to the subject of the query? For instance, a thread asking about a Library contributor could be placed there, threads wondering where a Lounge or Soap Box (Foodie, Health Board, etc.) regular could be placed in one of those boards, inquiries about models would go in the Paysite forum, and those pertaining to Size-Rights activists would go on the Main board? Such a policy may be confusing in the case of those who contributed regularly on several boards.

Perhaps a separate "Wondering About..." or "What Ever Happened To.." sub-forum could be established. I don't know if the logistics of this approach would create a big moderatorial hassle, or if it would even be possible.

NOTE:

I am not a moderator, and the inclusion of the poll should not be taken as a suggestion that such a course of action my take place.

Your thoughts?
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:20 AM   #2
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Interesting and important point, FreeThinker.

I agree with your assessment, these posts often irritate me - and I even find them troubling in the cases when the person in question has passed away.

My personal suggestion - not as a mod - would actually be to move all such questions here to the Board Business Board. Because afterall, it is non issue or topic related business of what and who is going on at Dims.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I agree that these topics are annoying and little good often comes out of them.

I'm not sure what the best solution would be, though. I don't think we could 'put them on the right board' for the person they are asking it about as this would require the mods to know from name alone who this person is and where they used to post. The vast majority of these questions are also about models, and it definitely isn't appropriate to post them in the model forum.

I don't think they belong in the BBB either; the BBB is supposed to be about issues affecting the running of the forum and random 'is x still alive' questions don't relate to the functioning of the forum.

The only real alternative I can think of is to either start a thread on the main board for "What happened to x?" and ask people the post there, or to just say "No asking those questions" completely. What does everyone else think?
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
AmyJo1976
Happy Holidays

AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I wouldn't think that making a rule against asking would stop people. Make a place for them to ask seems like the best way to get it under control. Like a lost puppy thread lol! Just my thought
AmyJo1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:17 PM   #5
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think we need a separate void, er, board for these postings. We could call it the Kelligrrl Board...
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
We could call it the Kelligrrl Board...
I was wondering how long it would be until someone mentioned her.

...wondering ever since I fought the urge myself, that is...
Old 04-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #7
FreeThinker

On a serious note, I do think the Main Board is still an appropriate place to post obituaries. To include them in the 'where you at?' thread would not afford death announcements the dignity they deserve.

I don't know if a separate obituaries board might be a good idea.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #8
Angel
no apologies for being me

Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post
On a serious note, I do think the Main Board is still an appropriate place to post obituaries. To include them in the 'where you at?' thread would not afford death announcements the dignity they deserve.
Agreed. A combination death notice / remembrance thread could be made as a sticky thread on the main board so that it would remain visible and not get lost among other newer threads. As a sticky thread it would be easy for mods to move new postings/notifications to (that were initially posted as a new thread).

The what ever happened to model threads should be posted in the paysite forum, IMO. Again one thread should be sufficient there, also.
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #9
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

I don't know if a separate obituaries board might be a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Agreed. A combination death notice / remembrance thread could be made as a sticky thread on the main board so that it would remain visible and not get lost among other newer threads. As a sticky thread it would be easy for mods to move new postings/notifications to (that were initially posted as a new thread).

The what ever happened to model threads should be posted in the paysite forum, IMO. Again one thread should be sufficient there, also.
I think what you guys are talking about is a slightly different but related issue, right? I absolutely agree that a rememberance/obituary thread might be a good idea and the best place for that would be in the main board, as a sticky.

However, most of these "What ever happened to..." threads aren't announcing that a person has died, they are asking what happened to a model/former member who may still be alive. After thinking it over, I really do think a "What happened to" thread in the main board would be the best idea. Questions can be asked and answered there. A separate obituary thread could also be started so there is a permanent place to announce the deaths of former members.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:34 AM   #10
FreeThinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
I think what you guys are talking about is a slightly different but related issue, right? I absolutely agree that a rememberance/obituary thread might be a good idea and the best place for that would be in the main board, as a sticky.

However, most of these "What ever happened to..." threads aren't announcing that a person has died, they are asking what happened to a model/former member who may still be alive. After thinking it over, I really do think a "What happened to" thread in the main board would be the best idea. Questions can be asked and answered there. A separate obituary thread could also be started so there is a permanent place to announce the deaths of former members.
That's what I was thinking, too.

To read of someone's passing in a thread full of "Is ******* still modeling? She's HOT!" would be jarring.

Occasionally, someone will ask of the whereabouts of posters other than models, of course (where is Jack Skellington, anyway?), so maybe separate boards for those trying to find models and those trying to find other posters, as those who have an interest in one category but not the other may end up not reading a question they might be able to answer.

Of course, this multiple-sticky-thread thing could get out of hand if I keep trying to sub-divide it. Just a thought.

I really appreciate that the mods are so engaged with the boards. Thank you.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #11
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Starting a sticky thread on the censored paysite board to ask about former models might make sense? (most people can't start threads on those boards, but they can respond to them). And that would seem to be the prime location for people wondering about paysite models.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:37 PM   #12
loopytheone
Administrator

Update: I made the obituary thread in the Main Board! But now I have to get to work so I'll make the "Whatever happened to..." thread when I get back home.

Also, Freethinker, you are welcome. I'm always happy to hear other people's suggestions/feedback.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:02 AM   #13
LarryTheNoodleGuy

LarryTheNoodleGuy knows EXACTLY what's going onLarryTheNoodleGuy knows EXACTLY what's going onLarryTheNoodleGuy knows EXACTLY what's going onLarryTheNoodleGuy knows EXACTLY what's going onLarryTheNoodleGuy knows EXACTLY what's going onLarryTheNoodleGuy knows EXACTLY what's going on

A big difference between "Where are they?" and obituaries. I agree there should be a thread for announcements of the passings of longtime community members, or any members.

What sparked this debate (I think!) is someone posting on the main board about a webmodel who hasn't been around lately. Not only do webmodels occasionally hit "pause" on their modeling, they also do frequently disappear and reappear (or not) and the person inquiring, more often than not, has been blocked by said webmodel for rudeness, obsessive-compulsive tendencies, requesting endless free content, inquiring about weight and measurements, sending all-caps rants when the webmodel dares to step away from the computer and, say, go spend time with her family or friends or on vacation or-what-have-you - or all the above!

The issue is that at any person so oblivious that they don't understand the above is also too oblivious to post "What happened to BigBooty?" in the paysite section where it might belong, or to back up a few steps and go clean his house or walk his dog, or to simply move on to someone else after really, truly comprehending the concept that "She's not my girlfriend."

Either way, not a monumental issue...but good for you for starting a thread about it.
LarryTheNoodleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:22 AM   #14
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I do believe this thread was sparked by Larry asking the guy on the main board why he asked where a paysite gal went on the main board to as opposed to asking on the paysite board.
I never saw that paysite lady post anywhere but the paysite boards....hence, Larry had a point (IMO).
Posting about posters on the main board seems logical to me. But then again, asking the correct group of posters may be more helpful to begin with.
A lot of those peeps that come to look for naked pictures don't really care about the rest of the board so why post it on the main board? Just my two cents.

Oh and the "what ever happened to" thread seems like a good idea....as well as the obituary thread. But then again, what's wrong with the ones that have passed on having their own thread dedicated to them exclusively? Honoring the dead isn't that much of an inconvenience, is it?

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #15
loopytheone
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
Oh and the "what ever happened to" thread seems like a good idea....as well as the obituary thread. But then again, what's wrong with the ones that have passed on having their own thread dedicated to them exclusively? Honoring the dead isn't that much of an inconvenience, is it?
Nothing at all, I don't think that it has to be 'either/or' in this case. Posting a thread about a person passing away is fine, but it might be helpful for people to have a thread where they report of people passing as well, like an obituary in the newspaper.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #16
Craiger16

Craiger16 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesCraiger16 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Not sure what Larry's problem is. You assumed a bunch of things and trash me in this thread. I don't think you acting like a mini mod helps anyone.

Really dude? You act like posting a simple question in the main board is some big sin because it was about a model. Lighten up. I haven't done anything to anyone on this board and I'm not someone so jaded I forget these are really people.

I'm not asking about Brooke or KelliGrrrl it was one model who posted quite often and suddenly stopped. If you google the clips4se site it says it moved but not to where. I saw posts on the main board related to other models so I didn't think it was a big deal.

I'm fully aware that people have lives and likely take time off. I truly was not trying to be creepy and simply thought the main board would be the best place for people who may have know if she retired or moved sites or what. I felt like the pay site board was for models to post their work. Not for asking questions.

I apologize if this was the wrong place to post. I'm sorry I don't post often.
Craiger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:30 PM   #17
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger16 View Post
I'm fully aware that people have lives and likely take time off. I truly was not trying to be creepy and simply thought the main board would be the best place for people who may have know if she retired or moved sites or what. I felt like the pay site board was for models to post their work. Not for asking questions.

I apologize if this was the wrong place to post. I'm sorry I don't post often.
No need to apologize.

What you in essence did was raise awareness for the issue that the boards so far might not have had the best system of handling what I would call "personals".
Be it asking about models whereabouts or sharing the news of members passing.

As the Parzival legend tells us - only those who ask questions will advance in life.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #18
FreeThinker

Craiger, you seem like an alright guy.

Agouderia, nicely said.

Loopy, I very much like the idea that we can continue to pay our respects to the departed in new threads. The obituary thread will be a good way for returning members to keep abreast.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:55 PM   #19
FreeThinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post

Starting a sticky thread on the censored paysite board to ask about former models might make sense? (most people can't start threads on those boards, but they can respond to them). And that would seem to be the prime location for people wondering about paysite models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post

Posting about posters on the main board seems logical to me. But then again, asking the correct group of posters may be more helpful to begin with.

That's what I was thinking.

This initiative isn't just to shield our delicate sensibilities, but should also help out the people who post the questions.

By asking about models on the Paysite Board, the question is there in front of the people most likely to provide relevant information.

Also, while I realize that it is not our place to act as a 'Better Business Bureau' for the paysite industry, it could let prospective clients know that a paysite they're considering subscribing to is no longer active.

Perhaps this is behind the reluctance to do so, as we don't want Dimensions to be cited as a cause of decreased business on a paysite, simply because a member may have posted that the model in question is no longer updating.

I realize it's a complex issue, and that any action taken should not be taken in haste.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:53 AM   #20
loopytheone
Administrator

Hey guys, sorry for being AWOL for a while, there's a stomach bug going around where I live and I've been dealing with that all week.

I have been giving this some careful consideration though and looking over some of the past thread asking about people. My main realisation is that overwhelmingly, it isn't a fellow model that knows the answer and is a friend of theirs on here instead. Often through emails or facebook groups etc. As such, I'm starting to the think that the main board might be the better place for a "Whatever happened to" thread rather than the paysite. There is also the fact that the paysite boards have been very strictly for advertising paysites and nothing else and I don't really want to break with that tradition.

I'm also going to update the Obituary thread to make it clear that you can start new threads honouring the deceased as well.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #21
Craiger16

Craiger16 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesCraiger16 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Craiger, you seem like an alright guy.

Agouderia, nicely said.

Loopy, I very much like the idea that we can continue to pay our respects to the departed in new threads. The obituary thread will be a good way for returning members to keep abreast.
I try to be, I'm glad there will be other threads now. Was hoping to keep it simple and I wasn't trying to bother anyone. I get how I could be misinterpreted that way. I'm not someone who posts much because I don't know what to say to people. I'm still here because I do believe it's a community of good people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
Hey guys, sorry for being AWOL for a while, there's a stomach bug going around where I live and I've been dealing with that all week.

I have been giving this some careful consideration though and looking over some of the past thread asking about people. My main realisation is that overwhelmingly, it isn't a fellow model that knows the answer and is a friend of theirs on here instead. Often through emails or facebook groups etc. As such, I'm starting to the think that the main board might be the better place for a "Whatever happened to" thread rather than the paysite. There is also the fact that the paysite boards have been very strictly for advertising paysites and nothing else and I don't really want to break with that tradition.

I'm also going to update the Obituary thread to make it clear that you can start new threads honouring the deceased as well.
Thanks. hope you feel better.
Craiger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:45 AM   #22
loopytheone
Administrator

I've made the "What ever happened to..." thread in the Main board. Depending on how things go, I might move it to the model forum in the future, but I think for now we shall see how things go.

Thanks for your input and suggestions everyone!