Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 01-05-2006, 04:59 PM   #1
Delaney

Default crock pot cookery!

I love my crock pot almost as much as my pressure cooker. Here are a few recent dishes I've made with it:

Sweet & Sour Meatballs (or Keilbasa)

1 jar chili sauce
1 small jar grape jelly
frozen meatballs or a link of keilbasa

toss into the pot, stir, and heat on high for about 4 hours. AM thought it was a little too grape-y....I really liked it. I made it again with less grape jelly, and found it lacking the sweet to go with the savory. I decided a jar of apple jelly would probably be a good substitute--its a blander sweet so the jelly flavor won't overwhelm. Eat alone with toothpicks as an appetizer, or on rice as a main dish.

quick & easy pot roast

1 envelope beefy onion soup mix (Lipton makes it)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
flour, salt, pepper
2-4 lb. roast
butter

coat the roast with flour, salt & pepper and brown all sides in a medium-hi skillet. Mix together the soup mix, mushroom soup, and half a soup can of water. put the roast in the crockpot, cover with the soup mixture, and cook on low for 8-10 hours. I like this with mashed taters, but you can probably toss in some carrots and cut up potatoes for a more traditional pot roast.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Off topic (as always), but the first time I saw this I read it as "crack pot cookery" and thought "what a wild title!"
Old 01-06-2006, 12:07 AM   #3
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Re: Crock Pots!

Creamy Potatoes and Sausage

2 lbs large link smoked sausage, cut into 3" or 4" pieces
1 1/2 lbs small red potatoes, quartered

Mix the following:
1 (8 oz) tub cream cheese (with chives and onions)
1 (1 oz or less) envelope Ranch dressing mix
1 ( 10 oz. ) can cream of potato soup

Place ingredients in crock in order
1. Sausage
2. Potatoes
3. Soup mixture on top

Cook 6 hours on Low. (Doesn't work right on High)
Old 01-06-2006, 12:12 AM   #4
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Re: Re: Crock Pots!

Cocacola Pork Chops and Baked Beans

2 (28 oz) cans baked beans, undrained
8 bone-in pork chops or 4 thick cut boneless cut in half crosswise

1/2 cup brownsugar
1 cup CocaCola
1 cup bottled BBQ sauce

Mix Coke and BBQ together.

1. Place beans in crock.
2. Top with chops.
3. Sprinkle brown sugar.
4. Pour Coke mixture on top.

Cook 8 hours on Low, OR 4 hours on High.

( Serve with Coleslaw, and corn bread )
Old 01-06-2006, 04:24 AM   #5
Delaney

oh fuzzy........that first one sounds divine!! Can't wait to try it!

And Mr.clear....LOL....trust me, some days at my house, it *is* crack pot cookery!!
Old 01-06-2006, 09:29 AM   #6
Jane
Photo (c) Fatlane

Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!

A crock pot tip:

Line the crock pot with a baking bag, and you can remove the whole bag when done, and you don't have to scrub for hours getting the little bits off the sides.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:36 AM   #7
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane
A crock pot tip:

Line the crock pot with a baking bag, and you can remove the whole bag when done, and you don't have to scrub for hours getting the little bits off the sides.
I'll have to try that Thats the thing i hate about cooking with my crockpot.. that and the torturous yummy smells that waft my way ALL day and i have to wait for dinner lol

I just bought a crock pot vegetarian cooking book i havent tried it yet.. this thread makes me want to try it
HottiMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:19 PM   #8
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney
I love my crock pot almost as much as my pressure cooker. Here are a few recent dishes I've made with it:

Sweet & Sour Meatballs (or Keilbasa)

1 jar chili sauce
1 small jar grape jelly
frozen meatballs or a link of keilbasa

toss into the pot, stir, and heat on high for about 4 hours. AM thought it was a little too grape-y....I really liked it. I made it again with less grape jelly, and found it lacking the sweet to go with the savory. I decided a jar of apple jelly would probably be a good substitute--its a blander sweet so the jelly flavor won't overwhelm. Eat alone with toothpicks as an appetizer, or on rice as a main dish.
Oh boy, BB is going to love you for this -- she was just saying in another thread that she needs to learn how to make those meatballs herself so she's not always monopolizing them at parties... They're great, aren't they? Also good using those Little Smokies bite-size sausages.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #9
Delaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina
Oh boy, BB is going to love you for this -- she was just saying in another thread that she needs to learn how to make those meatballs herself so she's not always monopolizing them at parties... They're great, aren't they? Also good using those Little Smokies bite-size sausages.
They sure are great. I could eat them all day long. And they are obscenely easy to make!
Old 01-06-2006, 04:59 PM   #10
Mr. Jigglesworth

Mr. Jigglesworth can now change their title
Default Boy am I glad to see you here Megan

Awww, it must be sheer torture for you to have to wait til your crock pot meal is finished cooking...I can just see you now pacing back & forth to check on it

Mr. Jigglesworth/adam
Mr. Jigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #11
Mr. Jigglesworth

Default I'm gonna have to try these

They sound delicious, Delaney...but I'll also leave you with another one to try since we're talking meatballs here.

I made these at a nightclub I used to work at in Indy.

Sweet & spicy meatballs

1 big bag of meatballs
your favorite bbq sauce
hot sauce

Mix the bbq in a separate bowl adding as much hot sauce as you personally like, then pour over the meatballs and cook for 4 hours or until you can't stand the smells coming from your crock pot.

Can be eaten as an appetizer or on hoagie rolls as a sandwich, and if you really enjoy spciy foods, for the sandwich add some sliced hot pepper cheese.

Mr. Jigglesworth
Old 01-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #12
Mr. Jigglesworth

Default Hey Fuzzy

Hey there Fuzzy, I've never talked to you before, so I'm not sure if you're male or female, but this recipe and the cocacola pork chop recipe sound pretty darn good,thanks for posting them.

Mr. Jigglesworth
Old 01-06-2006, 06:01 PM   #13
Mr. Jigglesworth

Default Hey Fuzzy

Hey there Fuzzy, I've never talked to you before, so I'm not sure if you're male or female, but this recipe and the cocacola pork chop recipe sound pretty darn good,thanks for posting them.

Mr. Jigglesworth
Old 01-06-2006, 06:06 PM   #14
Mr. Jigglesworth

Default Hey Santa, you think that was weird...

when I was typing out the post to Megan, I at first typed cock pot instead of crock pot, that would have been a faux pas

Good thing I caught it in time.

Mr. Jigglesworth
Old 01-13-2006, 02:46 PM   #15
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I have one of those mini crock pots. I wonder if any of these will work if I cut back the amounts. I should try and Ill let you know.
bigsexy920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:04 PM   #16
Mr. Jigglesworth

It should work, just cut everything in the recipe by halfs or thirds and it should turn out fine, and let us know what you think by all means.

Mr. Jigglesworth
Old 01-14-2006, 01:17 AM   #17
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

I use mine to make beans all the time. I also make stew and pot roast in it. Chili too. I really haven't branched out into much other crockpot cookery. I should. But never get around to it.

Tracy
Tracyarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #18
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

What I don't like about them is that most of the recipes I've found ujse things I just wouldn't cook with in life. Bags of hash browns or tator tots. Cans of condensed soup. I know it's convenience cooking, but I don't like to use so many processed things in my cooking in general. Don't throw anything at me, I'm not judging, just saying.

I was at Williams Sonoma the other day though and saw a small collection of gourmet recipes for crockpots...that might be something. I just don't like pouring a bunch of cans together and thinking that's good eating for ME. Too many preservatives and not enough fiber.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:50 AM   #19
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'll post my pot roast recipe again.

I usually pick up chuck roast around five pounds. I then trim off some of the extra fat. I then cut slits throughout the roast and stuff it with cloves of garlic.

I brown it on all sides in a separate frying pan. Then I drain off most of the fat and fry sliced onions in it. I scrape up the fond (the brown bits from meat) with a wooden spoon. Transfer everything into the crockpot, add a bottle of beer, tomato paste, beef stock--use high quality stock, most canned ones have a metallic flavor. Set on low and cook for about 12 hours. It will be fork tender and deeeeelicious.

Here is a good site for crockpot cookery:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/what_a_crock/
Old 01-14-2006, 01:16 PM   #20
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Default Pork chops and stuffing

Cut three thick boneless pork loin chops in half. Place in bottom of crock, Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Place (1 8oz box) dry stuffing mix on top of chops.

Sprinkle chopped onion on top (either a fresh medium onion, or frozen )

Pour 1 stick butter, melted and 2 cans of chicken broth over the top.

Cook 6 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:21 PM   #21
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Default All Day Brisket

3 - 4 pound brisket, remove and discard fat

Place brisket in crock, and cover with sliced onion.

Sprinkle with Seasoned Salt, Pepper, Old Bay, and Celery Seed.

Mix 1/4 cup Liquid Smoke (in the bbq sauce aisle) with 1 bottle of chili sauce, and pour over meat.

Cook 12 hours on low. (Doesn't work right on high)
Old 01-14-2006, 01:23 PM   #22
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jigglesworth
Thanks!
Old 01-14-2006, 01:37 PM   #23
TaciturnBadger

TaciturnBadger can now change their title
Default A pair of quick and easy ideas..

Here's a couple of ideas for the board:

Sweet & Sour Pork Ribs

2lbs. Country Style Pork Ribs
1 10oz. bottle Sweet & Sour Sauce
1 Tbsp. Corn Starch
2 Tbsp. Teriyaki Sauce (I like using Kikkoman's Roasted Garlic Teriyaki)

Mix the teriyaki, sweet & sour, and cornstarch in a bowl thoroughly until the cornstarch is completely dissolved and incorporated. Place ribs in crock pot, pour sauce over the ribs to glaze, and cook on Low 7-8 hours. Great shredded over steamed rice.

Beer Balls
Yet another crock pot meatball snack for parties, potlucks, etc.

1 bag frozen meatballs
32oz. bottle ketchup (or catsup, if you prefer!)
1 can beer

This one's really tough -- toss everything in the crock pot and stir. Heat on Low until the meatballs are tender and cooked through.

--B.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:53 PM   #24
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Badger, do the meatballs have a heavily beer-laden flavor? I'm not a beer fan at all, but it can certainly enhance the flavor of some cooked foods.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:02 AM   #25
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Crockpot Honey Ham with Ginger Ale

This one sounded so good to me that I saved it. And I don't even really like ham. Or crockpots.

Crockpot Honey Ham with Ginger Ale and Vegetables

INGREDIENTS:
3 pound fully cooked ham
4 to 6 medium sweet potatoes, unpeeled, halved
1 bunch carrots
1 cup ginger ale

Glaze:
1/2 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

PREPARATION:
Scrub the sweet potatoes and trim. Cut in half. Peel carrots and slice diagonally in 2-inch lengths. Place vegetables on the bottom of the crockpot, place ham on top and pour ginger ale over all. Cover and cook on LOW for about 8 hours, or until vegetables are just tender. Mix about 2 tablespoons of liquid from the pot with the glaze ingredients in a buttered measuring cup and pour over ham. Continue cooking on LOW for 1 or 2 hours, basting frequently. Slice ham in thin slices, serve with vegetables.

I found it here: http://southernfood.about.com/od/cro...s/r/bl30c1.htm
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote