Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Board Business

View Poll Results: Do you want a new political board?
Yes 20 62.50%
No 12 37.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 12:02 AM   #51
DELIMAN092262

DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deven View Post
You mean that GLBT expressing their opinions needs to be in Hyde Park? Please. They are expressing their fear, not to debate with you, who will blindly tell them that they are wrong.
Which is exactly the point. Someone wants to make a political statement, but then claim it is a “safe space” and their opinion can not be challenged.

So the Powers That Be (PTB) must either create a “space” for such discussions or crack down on posters that make debatable opinions in non-political forums.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:34 AM   #52
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELIMAN092262 View Post
Which is exactly the point. Someone wants to make a political statement, but then claim it is a “safe space” and their opinion can not be challenged.

So the Powers That Be (PTB) must either create a “space” for such discussions or crack down on posters that make debatable opinions in non-political forums.
The GLBTQ forum is for members who identify as GLBTQ. If you do not, then don't read it and don't get involved. It is absolutely no different to how men are not allowed to go hitting on women in the BBW board.

Incidentally, I don't see how it would be cowardly or shameful for us to listen to the majority of public opinion if the members here decided by majority that they didn't want a new political forum. Surely that would just be a case of the mod team listening to the opinions of everybody involved instead of just the people who shout the loudest.

As it stands, so far, it looks like most are in favour of having a new political board. We will see how the results look at the end of the poll and decide from there how to proceed.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:19 AM   #53
DELIMAN092262

DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
The GLBTQ forum is for members who identify as GLBTQ. If you do not, then don't read it and don't get involved. It is absolutely no different to how men are not allowed to go hitting on women in the BBW board.
So “members who identify as GLBTQ” are permitted to discuss politics in this forum, but everyone else is excluded. So by that logic only people with thick skins and stout hearts need to enter the rough and tumble that is a political debate in a political forum … like what Hyde Park was supposed to be.

Why was it taken down again???
Quote:
Incidentally, I don't see how it would be cowardly or shameful for us to listen to the majority of public opinion if the members here decided by majority that they didn't want a new political forum. Surely that would just be a case of the mod team listening to the opinions of everybody involved instead of just the people who shout the loudest.
One thing is I don't shout. In fact, the only people that could be said to be “shouting” are those that are upset with the results of the elections. Then: SHAZAM! down comes Hyde Park!

Second, this entire “debate” about a future “Hyde Park” reminds me of the total disaster of the timeout for ditzygirl. That in my opinion was shameful. Someone put on timeout without one public infraction. Do the Mods make up the rules as they need?
Quote:
As it stands, so far, it looks like most are in favour of having a new political board. We will see how the results look at the end of the poll and decide from there how to proceed.
Question: Will the poll results be binding on the Mods or are the results merely “advisory?”
Old 12-05-2016, 03:51 AM   #54
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Question: Will the poll results be binding on the Mods or are the results merely “advisory?”
Answer (but not an official one, as I am not and never have been staff or management here):

This is a survey, not an election.

They have the right to do whatever they want with it.

I'm surprised anyone would imagine otherwise.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:01 AM   #55
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Ok, I may have misunderstood the ground rules for that forum. Are allies allowed to post there, or only those actually identifying as GLBTQ?

Quote:
So “members who identify as GLBTQ” are permitted to discuss politics in this forum, but everyone else is excluded.
It makes sense for them to be free to discuss politics relevant to GLBTQ issues there.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:04 AM   #56
DELIMAN092262

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBomb View Post
Answer (but not an official one, as I am not and never have been staff or management here):

How true. That was the point that I was making.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:32 AM   #57
CleverBomb
On Space Out

To some extent, it might be the same point.

Except I think you were making it to highlight staff arbitrariness.

I was making it to highlight that a politics subforum is not just about politics, but also serves board content management purposes. Whether it's reinstated or not depends on how it affects the site as a whole. This survey is certainly a significant data set, but can't and shouldn't be the last word on the matter.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:28 AM   #58
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
So “members who identify as GLBTQ” are permitted to discuss politics in this forum, but everyone else is excluded. So by that logic only people with thick skins and stout hearts need to enter the rough and tumble that is a political debate in a political forum … like what Hyde Park was supposed to be.

Why was it taken down again???

One thing is I don't shout. In fact, the only people that could be said to be “shouting” are those that are upset with the results of the elections. Then: SHAZAM! down comes Hyde Park!

Second, this entire “debate” about a future “Hyde Park” reminds me of the total disaster of the timeout for ditzygirl. That in my opinion was shameful. Someone put on timeout without one public infraction. Do the Mods make up the rules as they need?

Hyde Park was taken down because there were several cases of what would be deemed slander by international law. Free speech is supported, posting things that might get the entire forum into legal trouble is not.

I never said you shouted. At no point was a) that directed at you or b) intended as some sort of negative/insult on the people who do make their opinions known to us. I am glad that people are telling us what they want for the forum, but I also understand that not everybody who comes on the forum wants to give a detailed explanation in the comments. Their opinions are equally valid.

The rules are the rules and you will find I am quite clear about them. The GLBTQ board is ran in the same manner as the BBW board. If you posted in the BBW board complaining about how much you don't agree with fat women, you would be told to leave that board. The same is true for the GLBTQ board.

Quote:

Precisely this. I created this entire board because I want to know what the members of Dims think and to work with you all. The fact that we are even questioning the future of a new political board is based on opinions given to us in the naming thread. I want to work with the members here to change and adapt our ideas for the forum to best suit the needs of the users.

Quote:
Ok, I may have misunderstood the ground rules for that forum. Are allies allowed to post there, or only those actually identifying as GLBTQ?

It makes sense for them to be free to discuss politics relevant to GLBTQ issues there.
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Allies can post in the GLBTQ forum, in the same way that men are allowed to post in the BBW forum as long as they abide by the rules of that board.

Quote:
I was making it to highlight that a politics subforum is not just about politics, but also serves board content management purposes. Whether it's reinstated or not depends on how it affects the site as a whole. This survey is certainly a significant data set, but can't and shouldn't be the last word on the matter.
Exactly, I couldn't have said it better myself. I set up the survey because I wanted to know what the popular opinion among Dims members was on this issue. And yes, it will (and has) influence(d) our thoughts and decisions about the future of the board. On this specific issue, it probably would be the deciding factor in whether or not we open up a new political board, yes.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:07 AM   #59
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Interesting... While other forums have their "safe" space... Then a safe space is needed for participants to debate... You get rid of some steam and give the offending party the FU salutation and go back your Merry Way!...

Folks are adult here and can more than handle their own business and as I mentioned earlier "No One is forced to participate and we are free to decide the level of our participation"...

The Survey is good and it is nice to see the folks have a honest discussion about things..

[SIGPIC]http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/image.php?u=841&type=sigpic&dateline=1258169105[/SIGPIC]
Old 12-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #60
Leishycat
Dark and scarry

Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!

tbh I feel a little squicky that someone who's that openly hostile toward LGBT people even read anything in the LGBT forum :\
Old 12-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #61
DELIMAN092262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leishycat View Post
tbh I feel a little squicky that someone who's that openly hostile toward LGBT people even read anything in the LGBT forum :\
A person is in a public seating area of a restaurant with their cell on speaker with the volume at the top having a “private” conversation. How exactly can they claim their “privacy” was invaded if others heard what was said?
Old 12-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #62
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
A person is in a public seating area of a restaurant with their cell on speaker with the volume at the top having a “private” conversation. How exactly can they claim their “privacy” was invaded if others heard what was said?
She never claimed it was a private conversation, she just wishes it was a private forum like one of the others is/was so that people that are openly hostile are unable to see it, but it can be accessed by PMing a moderator.

You actually highlighted why she wants that by commenting on the fact that you want to get into their thread and "challenge" them.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #63
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Even though that last one was a dumb analogy, to an extent I agree with what Deli is saying and CB is coming at it from a different angle but pretty much getting to the same conclusion.

Some random thoughts here. Hyde Park has always been contentious, at least in the years I've been here and was just as much in the election of '12 when Obama won. I do find it interesting that on a forum where the majority of posters identify as liberal that it became such a huge problem when the national politics shifted away from them. Also more interesting that even though this is an international website this forum was for good or ill predominantly American in nature politically and over the last several months with new mods added and coming into a domain that was pretty much handled by BBD alone things became a problem. International mods who come from places in the EU or Canada which has way more strict freedom of speech and slander laws than we do here in the U.S. So whose laws are we talking about here? The E.U., Canada, Australia, the World Court, or America? Look, if you restrict speech and make nothing but trigger-free "safe spaces" like many universities and other countries have all you're going to get is an echo chamber of a bunch of people agreeing with each other and anyone else with a differing opinion quietly seething in the corner. Don't believe it? Look at Brexit and the last American election!

How about this? Instead of bringing back a political forum, you bring back two of them. One can be the utopian version that y'all want and the other can be totally unmoderated altogether. Yep, anything goes. Wouldn't be that hard really. Make it like the paysite board where you can't see it unless you're a member which means you're of age and a random guest can't just bump into it and get 10 kinds of offended. Second put up a big sticky outlining the ground rules and put in the legalese that states the opinions expressed in no way are the opinions of Dimensions Magazine and solely belong to the author of the post. Also let anyone else know that hey, if you come here and you get offended, tough titty go cry into your pillow because this forum is unmoderated so don't bother trying to report anyone. If you don't like it don't visit it plain and simple. You could even take it one step further if possible and make anyone who wants to post there get approval from a mod stating they have read and are aware of the free-for-all nature of this board. Once again it will be about freedom and personal responsibility. If you don't like it don't use it. You're an adult and no one will be forcing you to go there.

After thinking on this for the last couple of days I can say this much, if it becomes what I think the more recent mods are pushing for, it's going to become so utterly flavorless and milquetoast that even though I don't post a lot in the political forum I can't see myself ever even caring enough to read it let a lone post in it.

Also, you're free to use good judgment and logic and when the usual suspects start hijacking a debate and making their own arguments up as they go along try this one simple thing, QUIT FUCKING ENGAGING THEM! If no one is responding to them, they will quit. It's not rocket science people. Hell I do that routinely. If I don't value another poster's intelligence or opinion and I think they're an assclown I just won't engage them unless I'm super bored and even then it's usually only a post or two until even that becomes tedious. You don't have to keep going down the rabbit hole of crazy unless you want to and if you do, it's your OWN DAMN FAULT!!

I have come to this line of thought not because I'm looking for an excuse to be a dick. Most of you that have interacted with me know I don't troll or inflame or personally attack people or curse at them for disagreeing with me. I just really believe in total freedom in all things and have an intense hatred for censorship and the stifling of thoughts. Even stupid ones.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #64
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post

How about this? Instead of bringing back a political forum, you bring back two of them. One can be the utopian version that y'all want and the other can be totally unmoderated altogether. Yep, anything goes. Wouldn't be that hard really. Make it like the paysite board where you can't see it unless you're a member which means you're of age and a random guest can't just bump into it and get 10 kinds of offended. Second put up a big sticky outlining the ground rules and put in the legalese that states the opinions expressed in no way are the opinions of Dimensions Magazine and solely belong to the author of the post. Also let anyone else know that hey, if you come here and you get offended, tough titty go cry into your pillow because this forum is unmoderated so don't bother trying to report anyone. If you don't like it don't visit it plain and simple. You could even take it one step further if possible and make anyone who wants to post there get approval from a mod stating they have read and are aware of the free-for-all nature of this board. Once again it will be about freedom and personal responsibility. If you don't like it don't use it. You're an adult and no one will be forcing you to go there.
The unmoderated board could be called "Dante's Inferno " with the description "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here".

Two political forums isn't the worst idea.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #65
Leishycat
Dark and scarry

Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
She never claimed it was a private conversation, she just wishes it was a private forum like one of the others is/was so that people that are openly hostile are unable to see it, but it can be accessed by PMing a moderator.

You actually highlighted why she wants that by commenting on the fact that you want to get into their thread and "challenge" them.
Yes, thank you.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #66
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leishycat View Post
Yes, thank you.
You know I got your back. You have mine on FB all the time.

Quote:
How about this? Instead of bringing back a political forum, you bring back two of them. One can be the utopian version that y'all want and the other can be totally unmoderated altogether. Yep, anything goes.
HP was shut down because it could've caused legal issues for Dims (they said libel.) An unmoderated board would be no different.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #67
DELIMAN092262

Quote:
Hyde Park was taken down because there were several cases of what would be deemed slander by international law. Free speech is supported, posting things that might get the entire forum into legal trouble is not.
That fear is totally false. I am not a lawyer, but I have read the First Amendment to the US Constitution. In areas under the legal jurisdiction of US law; which I can only assume means Dims. Such fear is unfounded.

For example, in the last election Hillary Clinton said that 50% of the people that supported her political opponent Donald Trump were “deplorables.” Which she described as being racist, sexist, etc … The other 50% percent were just as bad in her opinion since they allowed it. That turned out to be over 60 million voters. Yet, I have not heard of one legal case being brought against Hillary Clinton for slander under US or international law.

Which means this argument is bogus and is just “cover” for something else.
Quote:
I never said you shouted. At no point was a) that directed at you or b) intended as some sort of negative/insult on the people who do make their opinions known to us. I am glad that people are telling us what they want for the forum, but I also understand that not everybody who comes on the forum wants to give a detailed explanation in the comments. Their opinions are equally valid.
Which I never claimed it was not valid.
Quote:
The rules are the rules and you will find I am quite clear about them. The GLBTQ board is ran in the same manner as the BBW board. If you posted in the BBW board complaining about how much you don't agree with fat women, you would be told to leave that board. The same is true for the GLBTQ board.
Yet, if you cross into the area of politics then your opinion is subject to debate.

For example, the Obama Administration wrote a letter to all school districts concerning federal funding and bathroom use. The letter lacked the force of law, but said school districts risked the loss of federal fund unless they implemented federal guidelines as dictated by the Obama Administration.

Now the Trump Administration is coming to power. They are free to write a new letter to school districts to disregard the earlier letter. That will be seen as a political act. So if the topic comes up in the GLBTQ forum it will be political discussion. (Why, there was a political forum.)
Quote:
Precisely this. I created this entire board because I want to know what the members of Dims think and to work with you all. The fact that we are even questioning the future of a new political board is based on opinions given to us in the naming thread. I want to work with the members here to change and adapt our ideas for the forum to best suit the needs of the users.
Yet, it must be noted that you and the other Mods took down the old Hyde Park first. That does mean something.
Quote:
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Allies can post in the GLBTQ forum, in the same way that men are allowed to post in the BBW forum as long as they abide by the rules of that board.
What rules? All I saw was a sticky by the former owner Conrad in a post. Nowhere in that post does it make a provision for political debate. It make a reference to respect for members of the GLBTQ community. Yet, nowhere is that respect projected into the wider political world.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #68
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
HP was shut down because it could've caused legal issues for Dims (they said libel.) An unmoderated board would be no different.
Not neccessarily. That's the sticking point. Under whose laws? BBD has a background in journalism and as such I trust she knows the American laws well. It was never an issue until the international mods started coming around to Hyde Park regularly. I don't know if Agouderia, Loopy, or Tad do. Also, like many places that allow opinion pieces you can separate what the hosting party is liable for versus the actual person doing the speech.

ETA: Also, if that were automatically so, then youtube and any other comment site would have been sued and shut down long ago if the opinions and posts of commenters were gone after for libel or slander. I'm not buying that reasoning, at least not whole cloth.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #69
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

As to the 'why was HP taken off-line now, and not at some other time?' probably has to do with the change-over in board ownership and moderator crew. BBD is one of only a few who were moderating four years ago. Due to some of the issues that were coming up, the rest of us were getting more involved -- something that we'd avoided previously because a lot of the exchanges made us break out hives (well, not literally, but it sure felt like it at times ....)

So the questions were:

- Should we leave it as is, with BBD moderating with no other mod support? (we felt that the answer on that was no, as things seemed to be not going well with that model. Maybe it was business as usual, but to those who hadn't dived deeply into the HP waters before, it sure didn't feel like anyone was happy with the status quo, BBD included)

- Was having the other moderators getting involved going to make a better situation? (we felt 'no' because most of us knew that we could not commit to wading through HP on a regular basis, or having any patience for a lot of what went on there. And we felt that trying to reign in some of the things we found most worrying was not apt to go well in that environment)

- Should we shut it down entirely? (again we felt 'no', because of some of the reasons that have been discussed already, primarily some people like it and it keeps the political out of other parts of the boards)

And so we came to the idea of shutting down HP, and taking some time to come up with a replacement.

I would say that the timing was connected with this current election only insofar as it brought issues to a head that dragged the other moderators into the board. I suspect that had we really dived in deeply earlier, we would have done this earlier. It is like a lot of issues: they fester for a long time, with everyone trying to ignore them, then something forces people to pay attention and they finally do something about it.

Well, that may not be quite true: if we'd really gotten involved earlier we might have just shut it down, full stop. Another reason for the plan to replace it was that in the current political climate simply shutting down HP without replacement would surely have been seen as a snub to the American right. (for what it is worth, I had people on both sides of the political spectrum on ignore due to HP -- bad logic and bad behavior are not confined to supporters of any one political party. That is why in the past I favored just shutting it down if BBD every lost her willingness to moderate; I previously considered it too non-functional to salvage)

Do keep the suggestions for the new board coming. We have had some ideas since before we announced the HP shut down, and are continuing to discuss behind the scenes, but we are just a few and the people here may come up with some ideas that we haven't thought of. No doubt the suggestions won't all be feasible, consistent, or in the end implemented, but they will all be read and thought about.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #70
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
I do find it interesting that on a forum where the majority of posters identify as liberal that it became such a huge problem when the national politics shifted away from them. Also more interesting that even though this is an international website this forum was for good or ill predominantly American in nature politically and over the last several months with new mods added and coming into a domain that was pretty much handled by BBD alone things became a problem. International mods who come from places in the EU or Canada which has way more strict freedom of speech and slander laws than we do here in the U.S. So whose laws are we talking about here? The E.U., Canada, Australia, the World Court, or America?
We based our decision on the State of California Speech Code - since the Dims server to our knowledge is based there.

Despite the US (in general, all 50 states) having a very liberal interpretation of freedom of speech - think Nazi symbols which are outlawed in many other countries - there are legal limits to it. Libel and slander are penalized - and people take action against it. Look into the libel lawsuits history of your President-elect and his family; you might be surprised.

The election was only another escalation level in an already toxic board climate - mirroring the general public debate antagonism in the US. On both sides of the political aisle actually - I also moderated some 'liberal' threads for brazen, brainless provocation.

Quote:
I just really believe in total freedom in all things and have an intense hatred for censorship and the stifling of thoughts. Even stupid ones.
I actually agree with you, having a strong anarchist streak myself.

And if we were talking real thoughts, no matter how provocative or opinionated, I'd be with you.

But what please is the intellectual content of a turd emoticon? How insightful is persistent name-calling of your political opponent (again goes both ways)? What's the educational added-value of just throwing the same mud under different thread titles back and forth between the regulars? Without bothering to listen to arguments, include other positions or posters or consider real-life facts (...yes I know, dated argument, we're living in the post-factual world).

Bad manners aren't a political statement. They're a basic disregard of your human opposite. So why bother "discussing" with someone you disregard - and have a board for that?
Old 12-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #71
loopytheone
Administrator

Quote:
That fear is totally false. I am not a lawyer, but I have read the First Amendment to the US Constitution. In areas under the legal jurisdiction of US law; which I can only assume means Dims. Such fear is unfounded.

For example, in the last election Hillary Clinton said that 50% of the people that supported her political opponent Donald Trump were “deplorables.” Which she described as being racist, sexist, etc … The other 50% percent were just as bad in her opinion since they allowed it. That turned out to be over 60 million voters. Yet, I have not heard of one legal case being brought against Hillary Clinton for slander under US or international law.

Which means this argument is bogus and is just “cover” for something else.

Which I never claimed it was not valid.

Yet, if you cross into the area of politics then your opinion is subject to debate.

For example, the Obama Administration wrote a letter to all school districts concerning federal funding and bathroom use. The letter lacked the force of law, but said school districts risked the loss of federal fund unless they implemented federal guidelines as dictated by the Obama Administration.

Now the Trump Administration is coming to power. They are free to write a new letter to school districts to disregard the earlier letter. That will be seen as a political act. So if the topic comes up in the GLBTQ forum it will be political discussion. (Why, there was a political forum.)

Yet, it must be noted that you and the other Mods took down the old Hyde Park first. That does mean something.

What rules? All I saw was a sticky by the former owner Conrad in a post. Nowhere in that post does it make a provision for political debate. It make a reference to respect for members of the GLBTQ community. Yet, nowhere is that respect projected into the wider political world.
1. ....hah, I was about to say that I don't know the details of this but agouderia does, and she got in there before me!

2. There is no provision for political debate in the GLBTQ board because it is not for political debate. It for GLBTQ people to discuss their issues. If you are anti-GLBTQ then you are not welcome on that board. I don't know how much clearer I can make this. To quote the rules for that board:

Quote:
...this is not a place to dissuade, denounce, or criticize anyone’s choice to claim a GLBTQ identity. If you cannot refrain from being negative or critical about the rights of GLBTQ people to exist happily and healthily, then you may find yourself heavily moderated on this forum. Claims of religious or legal beliefs to support anti-GLBTQ sentiment will not be accepted.
These have always been the rules for that board. If you don't like them, there is an entire internet full of places you can go to complain about how much you don't like GLBTQ people. The GLBTQ board is not one of them. And yes, they will be allowed to discuss political matters that directly impact GLBTQ people/lifestyles and not allowed to discuss political matters that are outside of the scope of this. Again, from the rules for that board:

Quote:
...measured discussions about the structures in place that oppress GLBTQ people will be an inevitable part of any community of GLBTQ people.
Again, it has always been the case that this was allowed on the GLBTQ board. What isn't allowed and will not be allowed is political talk outside of issues pertaining to the GLBTQ lifestyle.

I hope I have clarified this for everyone?
Old 12-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #72
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
But what please is the intellectual content of a turd emoticon? How insightful is persistent name-calling of your political opponent (again goes both ways)? What's the educational added-value of just throwing the same mud under different thread titles back and forth between the regulars? Without bothering to listen to arguments, include other positions or posters or consider real-life facts (...yes I know, dated argument, we're living in the post-factual world).

Bad manners aren't a political statement. They're a basic disregard of your human opposite. So why bother "discussing" with someone you disregard - and have a board for that?
My two cents...

There is a core group that has become almost co-dependent on each other for an argument. They relish in it even when they say they don't and want civil discourse. I've noticed so few people calling for anything drastic in terms of changes. No one has spoken about handing out banishments. No one wants to change the moderator's role and involvement. Not much in the way of offering up a framework for the rules either. Hell, we've actually had people say that HP was the only reason they came here.

Let that sink in for a minute...the only reason a person might come to Dimensions is to participate in Hyde Park. With all the other things this board offers...size acceptance, laughs, porn, food, fashion, stories...you came just to argue. And it's probably with someone who already has them on ignore.

The libertarian in me wants to see a free for all forum ,where the people who are hell bent on verbally destroying the other side can just get it out of their systems. My hope is that they will then lose interest and move on to a more productive role as a poster elsewhere on the board...but I am too damn cynical to accept that as a possibility.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #73
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
...But what please is the intellectual content of a turd emoticon? How insightful is persistent name-calling of your political opponent (again goes both ways)? What's the educational added-value of just throwing the same mud under different thread titles back and forth between the regulars? Without bothering to listen to arguments, include other positions or posters or consider real-life facts (...yes I know, dated argument, we're living in the post-factual world).

I am in full agreement with you. There is no intellectual content in a turd emoticon. But I'm ok with allowing that simply because it tells me all I need to know about that person. It tells me they are dumb and intellectually lazy. It informs me exactly of who I am dealing with and their mental capacities. It tells me they are a person not worth engaging about anything at any time.

There is no added value to giving the regulars a place to sling mud, at least not in the new board. But, if they have a place where they can do so without restraint, it's more likely to keep them from doing so in the new board. Especially if the leash is much tighter there and they get their posting privileges booted from that forum. It makes the only place they can spew their bile is in the unprotected forum and then whether or not anyone goes back and forth with them in their vitriol is purely their own choice as adults.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:12 PM   #74
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

We were not looking for moderator nominations (not to say we won't bring in any new moderators in the future, but certainly won't go about it in this way). We didn't delete those posts initially as they seemed innocuous enough, but as they are not creating acrimony and diverting the thread from its intent, I'm going to go through and delete them.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #75
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I am in full agreement with you. There is no intellectual content in a turd emoticon. But I'm ok with allowing that simply because it tells me all I need to know about that person. It tells me they are dumb and intellectually lazy. It informs me exactly of who I am dealing with and their mental capacities. It tells me they are a person not worth engaging about anything at any time.

There is no added value to giving the regulars a place to sling mud, at least not in the new board. But, if they have a place where they can do so without restraint, it's more likely to keep them from doing so in the new board. Especially if the leash is much tighter there and they get their posting privileges booted from that forum. It makes the only place they can spew their bile is in the unprotected forum and then whether or not anyone goes back and forth with them in their vitriol is purely their own choice as adults.
Best suggestion yet... Now I may have to nominate you as the inaugural "Brass Knucks" Champion of this Forum....

[SIGPIC]http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/image.php?u=841&type=sigpic&dateline=1258169105[/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread