Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 01-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Chocolate tasting party

I'd heard of a chocolate tasting party before, but Hershey's actually has a bunch of PDF files to help people set one up.

Thing is, though, that I would really like to find some interesting and tasty chocolates. They recommend both varying the percentage of liquor, of course, but also getting some single-source bars due to the complexities of flavor from regional cacao pods.

What brands do you recommend for the various categories of chocolate? What specialty bars do you recommend? Are there any organic or fair-trade bars that are especially good?

Aside from basics like water and coffee, I was thinking of some drinks like a chocolate [or raspberry] martini. They don't have to be chocolate centric, but what else do you like to pair with chocolate?

What are really good resources for ordering chocolate since I'm guessing some will be hard to find locally?

[[[To copy and paste]]]
Categories:
-White [yes, I'll include it, because I like the continuity of tasting across the spectrum]
-Milk
-Sweet [including low percentage dark]
-Bittersweet [including high percentage dark]
-Unsweetened
-Regional
-Organic/fair-trade
-Drinks

Last edited by Sweet Tooth; 01-23-2007 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Additional question
Sweet Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
Shikamaru
Blurry

Shikamaru can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesShikamaru can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I've heard good things about people mixing chocolate and spicy peppers...
Old 01-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Ya know, for as much as I hear about chocolate on this board, I kinda expected more input....
Old 01-29-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
ashmamma84
Om Namah Shivayah

ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!

All I can say is, I'd happily sit and taste the varying confections...I know it would be hard work, but hey, somebody's gotta do it.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

unfortunately, I am not a chocophile...so can't help much. Come on chocolate lovers...what say you?
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
ashmamma84
Om Namah Shivayah

ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Oh and I'd say Godiva...absolutely love the chocolate! There's also Scharffen Berger, though I personally have not tried it. A good friend of mine says it's delectable and she's a major chocohalic.

www.scharffenberger.com/ - Check it out!

www.godiva.com/
Old 01-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

Make SURE to get a good array:

American

English

Swiss

German

South American

Mexican

Belgian

You can actually find a pretty diverse collection in regular discount stores like Wal-Mart and Target.

As far as brands, I adore Lindt & Sprungli, Cadbury, Hershey's...
Old 01-30-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
dreamer72fem
hmmm....

dreamer72fem is a member of the 500 clubdreamer72fem is a member of the 500 clubdreamer72fem is a member of the 500 clubdreamer72fem is a member of the 500 clubdreamer72fem is a member of the 500 clubdreamer72fem is a member of the 500 club

I do love this chocolate my boyfriend brings me from Germany. THe brand is Milka and they have various types. I am sad because I only have 2 bars of it left from his last visit here when he brought my around 40 bars are various kinds.
Stacey
Old 01-30-2007, 06:17 PM   #9
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I found this thread on eGullet - it's about a chocolate party (with pictures!) Hope you can get some good ideas from it.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #10
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
I found this thread on eGullet - it's about a chocolate party (with pictures!) Hope you can get some good ideas from it.
Oooooh, pictures!

I had originally considered doing this for around Valentine's Day, just for something seasonal, but I think I'm going to wait until March as I have stuff going on the weekend after VD. I'm trying to pay more attention to what brands are around at even just local stores. Heck, Target carries Lindt, Green & Black's, Chocolove, etc.

I think I'm just going to have to break down and buy some bars to test them. The things we have to do as good hostesses.... <sigh>
Old 02-01-2007, 09:09 PM   #11
HugKiss
@}-}{--}---- XOXOXOXOX

HugKiss is a member of the 500 clubHugKiss is a member of the 500 clubHugKiss is a member of the 500 clubHugKiss is a member of the 500 clubHugKiss is a member of the 500 clubHugKiss is a member of the 500 club
Default yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer72fem View Post
I do love this chocolate my boyfriend brings me from Germany. THe brand is Milka and they have various types. I am sad because I only have 2 bars of it left from his last visit here when he brought my around 40 bars are various kinds.
Stacey
That is the brand my Nephew always buys me for holidays. LOVE IT!

HugKiss
Old 02-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #12
Veronica VonDiesel

Veronica VonDiesel has said some nice things

Yummmy chocolate tasting party. Sounds good.

You should include Scharffen Berger, a chocolate maker out of Berkley, CA.

http://www.scharffenberger.com/

Their dark chocolate is heavenly! And the milk is just the right mix of creaminess and chocolate flavor.

Hurry, though, because apparantly they're going to be bought out by Hersheys. (Oh darned capitalist takeover!)

Enjoy!

-VV
Veronica VonDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #13
Happy FA
Loving Lovely Large Lady

Happy FA has super-sized repHappy FA has super-sized repHappy FA has super-sized repHappy FA has super-sized rep
Default chocoholics unite?

I must confess that though I love chocolate, I don't really enjoy eating huge amounts of it. I do love really really good chocolates, but not to eat lots and lots of different types.

Over time, much in the same way that my wine preferences have shifted from sweeter fruitier wines to the drier, more complex whites and more robust reds, my preferences in chocolates have evolved from white to milk to dark chocolates. And, among the dark chocolates I particularly enjoy the very high percentage cacao varieties, such as those with more than 60 or 70% cacao. But, on the few occasions that I tried more than one or two of these varieties I found it too cloying and not as enjoyable.

However, one of my favorite chocolate tastes is a dark chocolate entombed pretzel which mixes the savory saltiness of a great crispy pretzel with the rich, bittersweet fecundity of amazingly complex dark chocolate.

Okay, sign me up for the tasting...
Happy FA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:38 AM   #14
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

Try CostPlus World Market if they'll ship to Canada. My local one has shelves of different domestic and imported chocolates and I know you can order online (well, from here you can anyway).
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:44 PM   #15
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Excellent ideas for stores, peeps. I hadn't even thought of some of these places. I had a girls' night dinner tonight, and my friends are really excited about the idea!