Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 06-30-2007, 05:12 AM   #1
puppy

puppy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokespuppy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Chowder Battle!

Manhattan Clam chowder or New England Clam chowder

Which reigns supreme?

New England. Yessssss.
puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:31 AM   #2
William
On Timeout

William makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging in

100% Crab Chowder!!!

No self-respecting New Englander would put corn in their chowder!!!

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

William

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppy View Post

Which reigns supreme?

New England. Yessssss.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:36 AM   #3
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

New England. Thick, rich, creamy........
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:42 AM   #4
William
On Timeout

William makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging in

Does anyone else puts extra Black Pepper on their New England Chowder???

William

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
New England. Thick, rich, creamy........
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:56 AM   #5
SuperMishe
Single. Wanna mingle?

SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppy View Post

Which reigns supreme?

New England. Yessssss.
There's a debate on this?? No way - New England wins, hands down! LOL!
SuperMishe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

New England, of course. Sheesh, silly question.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:28 AM   #7
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

What!? Manhattan is the only chowder. Silly people.

Maybe we should post recipes...
Old 06-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #8
ValentineBBW
seeking Vegas

ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

New England Clam all the way, thick and creamy
ValentineBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
IdahoCynth
Cockchafer

IdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions community

New england, there is "no other". The thicker the better.
IdahoCynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
sweetnnekked
Back From The Dead.

sweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going on

NE, hands down!

- J. Garcia
- R. Hunter
sweetnnekked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #11
wistful

wistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Actually I enjoy both!! However I do enjoy New England more..

"Look at that. Look how she moves. That's just like jell-o on springs. She must have some sort of built-in motor or something. I tell you, it's a whole different sex.
wistful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:32 PM   #12
MLadyJ

MLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot pics

There is no better than New England and I make mine with lots of creammmm. Maybe we should post recipes?
Old 06-30-2007, 10:43 PM   #13
wistful

wistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLadyJ View Post
There is no better than New England and I make mine with lots of creammmm. Maybe we should post recipes?

Oh please do!! Also I want to put in my vote for corn chowder.Yeah it's not clam chowder but when it's good it's soooooooo good.

"Look at that. Look how she moves. That's just like jell-o on springs. She must have some sort of built-in motor or something. I tell you, it's a whole different sex.
wistful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:15 PM   #14
TearInYourHand
Mistress Member

TearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I've gotta give a vote for Manhattan. But it needs to be made with big chunks of real clams. To me, all of the cream in the New England version can distract from the seafood!

I see that this is a rather unpopular opinion!!!
Old 07-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #15
QuasimodoQT
Shy viking

QuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticed

New England.

I used to go to a place that chopped the clams really fine, so they were tender instead of rubbery, and added potato. It was really thick and dense, sprinkled with paprika, and it was served in one of those massive flat bowls, with a pat of butter melting into the top. *sigh*

I also like chicken corn chowder, so I stock up when I get to Stew Leonard's.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #16
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Manhattan Chowder

But I will admit to cheating and enjoy both at the same time

I will take a bowl of new england clam chowder and put a 'dolup' of manhattan clam chowder at the center of the bowl. hmmmm
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #17
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistful View Post
Oh please do!! Also I want to put in my vote for corn chowder.Yeah it's not clam chowder but when it's good it's soooooooo good.
Clam chowder is nasty to me either way, sorry, but I love corn chowder with lots of potatoes and corn, and maybe some chicken. Soup rocks
Old 07-03-2007, 12:20 PM   #18
Kimberleigh
gardening, mostly.

Kimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions community

New England.

1/2 pound of bacon, sliced into strips
2 large yellow onions, peeled and diced
2 pounds of russet potatoes, diced (peel if you like, but I like the color the peel adds)
2 pounds of cleaned clams, gently chopped ( whole clams only, soaked in fresh water 20 minutes, scooped out of water - no draining - the sand they just spit out will be poured back on them...then scrubbed and shucked)
2 bottles clam juice
1 pint of heavy cream
1 quart of half and half
3 tablespoons flour
salt, pepper and vermouth to taste.

Cook bacon in large soup pot, remove meat, reserve 2-3 tablespoons of grease, cook onions until just translucent in remainder of fat.
Layer potatoes, bacon and on top of onions, pour clam juice over all and cook potatoes until soft - about 15 minutes. Add clams, cream and half and half. Bring up to simmer slowly. Whisk flour with reserved bacon fat and add slowly to simmering soup. Allow soup to simmer 15 minutes, then remove from heat and add a splash of vermouth. Salt and pepper to taste.
Good tonight, better tomorrow.
Kimberleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #19
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberleigh View Post
New England.

1/2 pound of bacon, sliced into strips
2 large yellow onions, peeled and diced
2 pounds of russet potatoes, diced (peel if you like, but I like the color the peel adds)
2 pounds of cleaned clams, gently chopped ( whole clams only, soaked in fresh water 20 minutes, scooped out of water - no draining - the sand they just spit out will be poured back on them...then scrubbed and shucked)
2 bottles clam juice
1 pint of heavy cream
1 quart of half and half
3 tablespoons flour
salt, pepper and vermouth to taste.

Cook bacon in large soup pot, remove meat, reserve 2-3 tablespoons of grease, cook onions until just translucent in remainder of fat.
Layer potatoes, bacon and on top of onions, pour clam juice over all and cook potatoes until soft - about 15 minutes. Add clams, cream and half and half. Bring up to simmer slowly. Whisk flour with reserved bacon fat and add slowly to simmering soup. Allow soup to simmer 15 minutes, then remove from heat and add a splash of vermouth. Salt and pepper to taste.
Good tonight, better tomorrow.

*swoon*

You had me at 1/2 pound of bacon.

But it got better and better. That is one killer recipe!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 07-04-2007, 06:29 AM   #20
Kimberleigh
gardening, mostly.

Kimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Thanks Randi!

That's one of my recipes from the Florida restaurant days (reduced of course ).
I can make it in my sleep, and in season, we could make and serve 20 gallons a week.
We bought clams by the 50 pound bag, and at one point, hired a girl to do nothing but clean clams and shell shrimp.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:23 AM   #21
LifeAndTimes55

LifeAndTimes55 has said some nice things
Question The clams spit out their sand?

Kimberleigh,

Please explain more about how you got the clams to "spit out their sand".

If I understand you correctly, you soak 'em in cold fresh water for 20 minutes and then take them directly out and shuck them with no delay or draining between removal from the water and the shucking?

The sand ends up inside the shell, but outside the clam's body? Have I got this right? Sounds like a neat trick.

John R.
LifeAndTimes55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #22
Kimberleigh
gardening, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeAndTimes55 View Post
Kimberleigh,

Please explain more about how you got the clams to "spit out their sand".

If I understand you correctly, you soak 'em in cold fresh water for 20 minutes and then take them directly out and shuck them with no delay or draining between removal from the water and the shucking?

The sand ends up inside the shell, but outside the clam's body? Have I got this right? Sounds like a neat trick.

John R.
Clams are filterers. You clean them out by providing them with fresh clean water to siphon in - they spit it out.
The sand is outside of the clam's body AND outside of the shell - in the bottom of whatever you soaked them in.
The trick is to not dump that whole bowl of water into a colander or drain off the water - you need to scoop the clams out without disturbing all that sand.
Then shuck away - no draining necessary. All seafood wants to remain moist. Letting molluscs of any type sit out "to drain" impacts their quality.

Here's a diagram (thanks google!) - note incurrent siphon and excurrent siphon. When all the clam has to siphon in is cold fresh water, he spits out any remaining sand inside his body, when he uses the excurrent siphon.

Make sense?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clam.JPG (39.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 07-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #23
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberleigh View Post
Clams are filterers. You clean them out by providing them with fresh clean water to siphon in - they spit it out.
The sand is outside of the clam's body AND outside of the shell - in the bottom of whatever you soaked them in.
The trick is to not dump that whole bowl of water into a colander or drain off the water - you need to scoop the clams out without disturbing all that sand.
Then shuck away - no draining necessary. All seafood wants to remain moist. Letting molluscs of any type sit out "to drain" impacts their quality.

Here's a diagram (thanks google!) - note incurrent siphon and excurrent siphon. When all the clam has to siphon in is cold fresh water, he spits out any remaining sand inside his body, when he uses the excurrent siphon.

Make sense?

Man, I LOVE clams but I confess that pic does not have me craving them right now mmmm gimme some chewy mantle and palp! With a side of siphon!

(altho with melted butter, it's all good.)

Last edited by SoVerySoft; 07-04-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #24
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

*laugh* Some people can shuck.. and some people can't.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:46 AM   #25
LifeAndTimes55

LifeAndTimes55 has said some nice things
Default Thank you for the clear explaination!

Kimberleigh,

Thank you for the clear explanation of clam behavior, and how to outsmart them!

Will anyone post a Manhattan CC recipe?

Despite the fact that it's summer, I've been on a soup & stew kick lately. I may have to try making homemade CC, although Spike's Restaurant and Fish Market in Point Pleasant NJ makes a wicked chowder.

John R.
LifeAndTimes55 is offline   Reply With Quote