Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 02-23-2017, 07:45 PM   #2451
rabbitislove
24 Carrot Magic

rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I add good luck with the job situation Xy. That is really shitty.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:52 AM   #2452
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Thanks guys. In the interim I'm going to pursue some additional schooling, then go for my fourth certification. It blows my mind how insanely far i have to reach to even get people to glance at me.
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #2453
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
It blows my mind how insanely far i have to reach to even get people to glance at me.
Welcome to the club of 98% of the 1.85 billion working women in the world. Who work more and are paid less. And mostly only get their chance when something is so deep in the shit that no man, no matter how full of himself, dares take on the challenge.

Nevertheless - the best of luck in finding a new, fulfilling job where your great talents are valued.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #2454
Rojodi

Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!

"Macho" gym types who interrupt conservations to speak with women, then try to make me feel "inferior" to them by assuming I don't have tattoos because I'm a wuss.

(Today's ass winced and ran when I showed him the scars for the daily injections and thrice daily finger pricks.)
Old 02-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #2455
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
Welcome to the club of 98% of the 1.85 billion working women in the world. Who work more and are paid less. And mostly only get their chance when something is so deep in the shit that no man, no matter how full of himself, dares take on the challenge.

Nevertheless - the best of luck in finding a new, fulfilling job where your great talents are valued.
Being that this is not The Soap Box I'm not asking this question to be antagonistic but rather since I know your penchant for statistics and that you have an analytical mind, but is that actually true? Do women get paid less when doing the exact same job as their male counterparts? I've heard that to be the case but I've also heard that the wage gap issue is also deceiving as women in general gravitate towards fields that pay less or that are more risk averse as well as frequently many leave the workplace for extended periods due to maternity and other issues. I'm curious as to what your take on this issue is with all stats considered.

Forgive me if this is beyond the scope of this particular thread. If warranted I could always pose this question in the Soap Box.
LeoGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #2456
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

I completely disagree that it has anything to do with me being female. In fact I think it helps. Too many women are hiding behind "it's because I am a girl" and in dome cases it is true, but many it is not. Women often do not fight for what they are worth. Men tend to hunt out jobs that will pay them more; I don't know many men who clasp their hands and hope their boss will someday see their worth, but I know many women who do.

I started my career as backwards; worked throughout college, worked through three certs. But the market is so saturated with university degrees I need to finish my degree an MBA while working. But it will make me far more employable.

It has everything to do with market saturation snd an increase in basic education after the 2008 crash IMO

Last edited by Xyantha Reborn; 02-24-2017 at 12:03 PM. Reason: More words
Old 02-25-2017, 06:48 AM   #2457
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Leo, I'm on my phone so won't try and dig up the stats, but even in the same job and experience bracket women tend to earn less. Gap is smaller than the overall picture, and varies by country kitchen, but still there. But some of that between professions bit ..... A lot of traditionally female jobs are underpaid when you look a responsibility and shit put up with. Pretty complex tangles of causes and effect and feedback loops, but I'll shut up now and let someone with figures say more.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:28 AM   #2458
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Just one source..

http://www.payscale.com/data-packages/gender-pay-gap

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2017, 07:29 AM   #2459
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!LeoGibson keeps pushing the rep limit!

I think it's probably a way more complex issue than any side would care to admit. I know I can't speak towards executive level jobs but in the blue collar world that I reside in, anecdotally speaking, women that I have worked beside at warehouses, manufacturing, and trucking have always made the exact same wage I have. Now due to other factors I.e. Being the nurturer or family caregiver typically I would make more per annum because I would voluntarily take on more hours and extra work or take on a higher safety risk assignment for more money. Myself and a goodly portion of the men I worked with wouldn't take off for school issues or to take care of sick children leaving that to their wives whereas the women I have worked beside would do those things. As I said I know little to nothing about the corporate world but I can say that the wage gap doesnt seem to exist in the blue collar workforce. You just don't have many women willing to do this kind of work but the few that do make no less than their male counterparts.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #2460
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca23v2 View Post
Just one source..

http://www.payscale.com/data-packages/gender-pay-gap

Thanks for the link. That was an interesting read.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:23 AM   #2461
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
Thanks for the link. That was an interesting read.
There is also this one

http://www.aauw.org/research/the-sim...ender-pay-gap/

Old 02-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #2462
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Lucca - thank you so much for the fabulous links!
Have added both to my list of resources on the issue!

For looking at the wider picture of all industrialized countries, my go-to source is always the OECD:

https://www.oecd.org/gender/data/genderwagegap.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
I've heard that to be the case but I've also heard that the wage gap issue is also deceiving as women in general gravitate towards fields that pay less or that are more risk averse as well as frequently many leave the workplace for extended periods due to maternity and other issues. I'm curious as to what your take on this issue is with all stats considered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
Women often do not fight for what they are worth. Men tend to hunt out jobs that will pay them more; I don't know many men who clasp their hands and hope their boss will someday see their worth, but I know many women who do.
Both of these factors definitely contribute to the gigantic income gap between men and women. But even if we count out all the countries where there are real codified discriminations, structural problems remain.

Women are indeed their own worst enemies when it comes to getting their share of the cake. Be it by choosing jobs/careers in sectors with low pay. Or simply not advocating enough for their fair interests.
Yet it's a little too simplistic to blame it all on the individual woman.

Little researched is for instance the fact that there are clear pay shifts in certain professions if the gender-balance tips. Significant example is the medical field. Those countries with the highest share of female doctors have the lowest doctor incomes. In reverse, the US has seen the most significant increase in pay for nurses as more and more men have moved into the profession. (Don't get me wrong - I think it is a good thing that nursing is a so well - and thus fairly - paid profession in the US. It is totally undervalued and -paid in most other 1st world health care systems). Pediatricians, in all countries the medical field with the highest rate of females, is also over the board the worst paid.

Or that women do particularly poorly when it comes to advancing within the ranks of large companies. The majority of (the few) women who make it to the upper 2 management tiers come as "outsiders" into the corporate structures, with all the drawbacks that brings (... including a high failure rate). While the majority of men in comparable positions have climbed the ladder in their company, know the ropes, the colleagues, the inside (and partially dirty) details.

Not to mention that women's work is often not recognized as much. If I read your posts correctly Xy, you're frustrated by working "for the trash can". How many of you male colleagues feel this way in your company?

It's a very complicated web of different individual and structural pitfalls - no 2 people are really identical - so that is why it is so difficult to eliminate this gap.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:32 PM   #2463
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Quote:
Not to mention that women's work is often not recognized as much. If I read your posts correctly Xy, you're frustrated by working "for the trash can". How many of you male colleagues feel this way in your company?
To me this as irrelevant and also just as dangerous mindset as "how many islam colleagues" or "how many black colleages" or, to hit closer to home, "how many thin colleagues"?

However, to answer the question, my comment had to do with being recognized by outside employers. Outside employers use their HR department to screen candidates, and this is the checkpoint I can't make it across. In all of the job interviews I have ever gone for, I only did not succeed ONCE. It's getting past that HR barrier.

The HR division is dominated by women, and they qualify candidates based on word searches, they have no understanding of the job or a good resume. This means my resume never gets to the person who is interested. I've started circumventing this process by going directly to the hiring manager, and have had far more success.

The idea of working for one company and moving up has ended, and the younger generations are hungry and goes where the pay is highest, and where we are most recognized. I have outgrown this role in less than a year, and if I had to be sexist to answer the question, the people who frustrate and limit me most are women in this department, not men. 98% of the men are calm, considerate, and respect my opinion. I only had one guy disrespect me and I quietly spread it around the department as an "lol occurance...oh, isn't he so SILLY?". And this actually undermined his position with his own coworkers/ Three hiring managers in my own department who flashed at the chance to hire me were told by my female manager they could not have me.

So, technically, if I was to use your mindset of men vs women, it would be women holding me back, not men.

My work is recognized by some of the top tier management; I just feel like I am doing the equivalent of janitorial duty in my tasks, and they bore me, and I cannot tolerate boredom. Because I can't move internally, I need to go external. And to get past HR, I need to 'flash' up my resume more.

I am in the phase of a guy asking girls out - hundreds of rejection and feelings of fuck man, why do I do this to myself, etc etc.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #2464
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Thanks for the links Agouderia and Lucca. It does help clarify it some, but I'm still left thinking that at least in the US it is more of an earnings gap than a wage gap if that makes any sense.

Last edited by LeoGibson; 02-26-2017 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Fixing autocorrect errors.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #2465
Rojodi

Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!

Racist sh*tstains harassing our Indian coworkers this afternoon at lunch.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #2466
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojodi View Post
That sucks. Hope you were able to run them off.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #2467
Rojodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
That sucks. Hope you were able to run them off.
I didn't need to. The immigrant owner of the pizzeria laughed at the racists and told them to leave.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:18 AM   #2468
Tad
mostly harmless

Forecast temperature for 5pm today: +8C (~46F).

Forecast temperature for 5am tomorrow: -16C (~3F)

A 24 degree drop in 12 hours!?!

The somewhat scary part is that this sort of thing barely seems weird anymore, after the wacky Winter we had this year.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:21 PM   #2469
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Forecast temperature for 5pm today: +8C (~46F).

Forecast temperature for 5am tomorrow: -16C (~3F)

A 24 degree drop in 12 hours!?!

The somewhat scary part is that this sort of thing barely seems weird anymore, after the wacky Winter we had this year.

I just think of it as a 'reverse Chinook' - a prairie Chinook winter can raise the temperature 25 degrees in 3 hours, eastern Ontario just gets 'Chinooks in reverse'!
Old 03-21-2017, 05:45 PM   #2470
Tad
mostly harmless

If Chinook means snow eater, what do we call this?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:34 PM   #2471
djudex
I'm out

djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
If Chinook means snow eater, what do we call this?
Frost farter

"Quia Sic Dico"
djudex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM   #2472
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
WTF is wrong with people!
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM   #2473
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
I didn't need to. The immigrant owner of the pizzeria laughed at the racists and told them to leave.
I'm glad he laughed. These asses need to be mocked mercilessly.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mad, pissed