Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 04-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
Karebehr

Karebehr can now change their title
Default Advice for 1st time BHM flyer

HI all!
I am going to be flying from Ontario out to Newfoundland next week. This is the first time I have ever been in the air, so I was wondering if any of the other BHM's, or the women who have been with someone of size, can give me some advice or stories of their experiences flying (I am 5'8"...460lbs, so am a large person for the seats...lol). As I have mentioned, it is the 1st time I have ever flown, and am a little nervous about it. We have booked 3 seats for the 2 of us, so we hope that will work. We are flying WestJet, and they have been quite helpful so far. We are moving to Newfoundland to help care for my G/F's parents, so this is a big adventure all around!......lol
Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
Karebehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebehr View Post
HI all!
I am going to be flying from Ontario out to Newfoundland next week. This is the first time I have ever been in the air, so I was wondering if any of the other BHM's, or the women who have been with someone of size, can give me some advice or stories of their experiences flying (I am 5'8"...460lbs, so am a large person for the seats...lol). As I have mentioned, it is the 1st time I have ever flown, and am a little nervous about it. We have booked 3 seats for the 2 of us, so we hope that will work. We are flying WestJet, and they have been quite helpful so far. We are moving to Newfoundland to help care for my G/F's parents, so this is a big adventure all around!......lol
Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
I don't know how big the other one of you two is, but three seats for two of you should be OK. As a general rule I think that BBW, with their hips, have worse seat fitting problems than BHM do. You might find that you can't get the tray to come down because your belly is in the way, and you'll need a seat belt extender, but those are pretty minor issues.

Good luck on the trip, and wow, what an adventure!

-ed
Old 04-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
SamanthaNY
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!

If you have 3 seats for 2 people you should be fine... good for you for making those arrangements. That will take away a lot of the "will I fit?" anxiety.

You may want to do two other things:

1) Check your seating on www.seatguru.com. Which seating row you pick can make a huge difference in your comfort. You want to be sure that you have a) the biggest amount of leg room and b) armrests that go all the way up. Call the airline in advance and ask which type of plane has been scheduled for your flight. Seatguru can then give you all the specifics for that plane, including seat size, food service, etc. Make sure you book your exact seat numbers far in advance of your traveling date.

2) Advise the airline beforehand (and the ticket agent as well) that you would like a seatbelt extender, and you don't want to have to wait until everyone is boarded before they give it to you.

3) If you wish more time to get to your seat without knocking into other passengers while you go down the aisle (I don't know your size and shape, so I can't say if this will be an issue for you), make sure the gate agents know that you'd like to be boarded first (along with the people with small children, and "those who need more time to be seated", etc)- so that you don't annoy others, and won't have a line of impatient people waiting behind you.

Note that you should be allowed extra carryon bags because you are paying for an extra seat. However - go over this with your airline... some will look at you like you're on glue at first.

Happy traveling!

Seatguru page:

Last edited by SamanthaNY; 06-16-2009 at 06:49 AM.
SamanthaNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:47 AM   #4
cute_obese_girl
Herbivore

cute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging in

Just a heads up, buying 3 seats for 2 large people works only if you are flying an airline that assigns a seat when you buy your ticket.

If you are flying an airline that seats first come first serve at the gate like Southwest they won't accept this solution because they say that it is not guaranteed that you will be able to sit together. That is also their reasoning for making large people buy two seats even if they are traveling with family members who won't mind being squeezed in together.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."-Albert Pine
cute_obese_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
fat hiker

fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Westjet is fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute_obese_girl View Post
Just a heads up, buying 3 seats for 2 large people works only if you are flying an airline that assigns a seat when you buy your ticket.

If you are flying an airline that seats first come first serve at the gate like Southwest they won't accept this solution because they say that it is not guaranteed that you will be able to sit together. That is also their reasoning for making large people buy two seats even if they are traveling with family members who won't mind being squeezed in together.

Good heads up, but karebehr is in luck, for while Westjet's price policy is lifted from Southwest's, they do book the seat when you make the reservation - they're a discounter who puts the passenger first.

And checking out the seat with seatguru should be easy - Westjet has only two kinds of planes in its fleet, both 737s (-600s and -800s). All the Westjet planes that I've ever been on had seatrests that went all the way up.

It's a good idea to have bought the extra seat, though, as Westjet flies more than 85% full all the time...empty seats are rare.
fat hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
fat hiker

fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fat hiker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Oh, and enjoy Newfoundland - it's a great place. It's an unfortunate reason to have to go, but I hope you do get out and meet people. You may occasionally get a very direct comment on your size, or your GF may, along the lines of "you've landed yourself a big one!" These are almost never negative, more admiring and descriptive, as there's a strain amongst hard-working Newfoundlanders that runs to a certain degree of girth. Check out the band "The Irish Descendants" if you want to know what I mean.
fat hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:39 AM   #7
Wanderer
Actor at Extra-Large

Wanderer does more than just post hot picsWanderer does more than just post hot picsWanderer does more than just post hot picsWanderer does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat hiker View Post
Oh, and enjoy Newfoundland - it's a great place. It's an unfortunate reason to have to go, but I hope you do get out and meet people. You may occasionally get a very direct comment on your size, or your GF may, along the lines of "you've landed yourself a big one!" These are almost never negative, more admiring and descriptive, as there's a strain amongst hard-working Newfoundlanders that runs to a certain degree of girth. Check out the band "The Irish Descendants" if you want to know what I mean.
I see what you mean, all right. And you're right, especially given the 39% obesity rate, that Newfies don't seem to be much upset about their weight, despite the constant criticism from the Canadian board of health.

Canadians are wonderful people, in my (admittedly limited) experience. I can hardly wait to head north for a convention this June.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
Karebehr

Karebehr can now change their title
Default Thanks everyone!

Hi all...just got some time to come on and post my thanks to you all for the kind words and advice. I had an awesome time flying, but did require the 2 seats to be comfortable. The flight attendants already had the seat belt extender in my seat, and were at the cabin door when we pre-boarded, also knowing it was my first flight. They were very helpful making it a good experience for me. As for Newfoundland, all I can say so far is the people are the friendliest I have ever met, and the city of St. John's where we live, is beautiful.

Again...THANKS EVERYONE for the advice!!

Take care
Larry
Karebehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #9
BeautifulPoeticDisaster

BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!

hahahaha I just realised this post was late....owell, lol.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Just a heads up from someone who has racked up quite a few air miles this year in the US and international to the UK.

Just because an airline says the arm rests go up...does not mean they go comfortably up. I love Southwest...they may have been the pioneers of charging two seats...it would have happened reguardless, but their seats are comfy and staff is kind.

Now back to my point. I flew United. Mike and I told everyone and their brothers uncles cat that I was large and needed to ensure the arm rest would go up. We got on the plane...and yes the armrest went up...but on 95% on the way...which means there were armrests on both sides of me digging into my shoulders...which was a no go...so I had to ride the whole 12 flight with arm rests digging into my belly. This is where I would envy the pear shape..small shoulders etc.

We actually filed a complaint with United that took nearly 4 months to sort out. They have given us seat letters and numbers that should have arm rests that can be removed. If this does not work, I will do my best to get my hands on a solicitor/lawyer and "correct" the situation since I now have a guarentee in writing that I will not be subject to humiliation on their airlines again.

I wish you luck my friend.

PS- at time of flight I was 5'10" and 530ish lbs.
BeautifulPoeticDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:04 AM   #10
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellySSBBW View Post
hahahaha I just realised this post was late....owell, lol.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Just a heads up from someone who has racked up quite a few air miles this year in the US and international to the UK.

Just because an airline says the arm rests go up...does not mean they go comfortably up. I love Southwest...they may have been the pioneers of charging two seats...it would have happened reguardless, but their seats are comfy and staff is kind.

Now back to my point. I flew United. Mike and I told everyone and their brothers uncles cat that I was large and needed to ensure the arm rest would go up. We got on the plane...and yes the armrest went up...but on 95% on the way...which means there were armrests on both sides of me digging into my shoulders...which was a no go...so I had to ride the whole 12 flight with arm rests digging into my belly. This is where I would envy the pear shape..small shoulders etc.

We actually filed a complaint with United that took nearly 4 months to sort out. They have given us seat letters and numbers that should have arm rests that can be removed. If this does not work, I will do my best to get my hands on a solicitor/lawyer and "correct" the situation since I now have a guarentee in writing that I will not be subject to humiliation on their airlines again.

I wish you luck my friend.

PS- at time of flight I was 5'10" and 530ish lbs.

Oh man what an unpleasant 12 hours!!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:07 AM   #11
Mercedes

Mercedes can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMercedes can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Hope you had a nice trip!
Mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote