Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 07-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
Chongo

Chongo can now change their title
Lightbulb Advice anyone?

Heya all, I'm come to a question I've never really been able to ask anyone at home. I get the "oh you're just fine and dandy" response all the time here no matter what. But never really get an answer. (I could be dressed in a burlap sack)

Ladies and gents, I've lived a simple existence so far, and was never really concerned with the way I look. So I never learned any sort of fashion outside of regular joe schmoe, or military fatigue styles..

What can I do to improve my appearance to be more appealing to the outside world? I've been in a relationship for 16 years, and never really had a need to learn these things. I'm sick of feeling self loathing, and fear whenever I think of going out and maybe meeting someone. Anything constructive is greatly appreciated, and thanks for your time.

Sorry for the darker pic quality. Only one handy I have of myself with hair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg light.JPG (10.9 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpeg dark.jpeg (25.2 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by Chongo; 07-14-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a sentence.
Chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
MasterShake
My Fist, Your Face!

MasterShake never has a post go unnoticedMasterShake never has a post go unnoticedMasterShake never has a post go unnoticedMasterShake never has a post go unnoticedMasterShake never has a post go unnoticedMasterShake never has a post go unnoticedMasterShake never has a post go unnoticedMasterShake never has a post go unnoticed

What do you like? Personally I would suggest two things:

1) What kind of stuff do you like (that you're NOT wearing)? What exactly do you not like with what you're currently wearing? Bored with it? Feel you don't look as good as you could with it? Kinda sounds like the latter, but just to be sure....

2) Do you have female friends that you can get advice from? Obviously people here can do that too, but nothing IMO beats having people in person at a clothing store that can look at stuff and suggest if they think it'd work on you.

It's nice having an idea of what ladies typically like, or feel looks good on you, which sometimes can surprise a guy who otherwise thinks a look would never work for them, but I think at the end of the day clothing fashion is about what makes you feel good about yourself - the confidence from that greatly enhances your overall look.

So it's important to think about how your 'ideal' self-image looks - what do you want to portray? Do you want to look more athletic or jock-ish - i.e. sports jerseys and whatnot? More formal, like khakis and dress shirts or polos? More hipsterish, as it were?

Just my .02 cents.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Broadside

Broadside has super-sized repBroadside has super-sized repBroadside has super-sized repBroadside has super-sized rep

I tend to shop at Casual Male since their prices are fairly reasonable. I just buy the outfits there.

You could try asking a gay guy, they seem to have good fashion sense. At least that old show used to think so.

Advice from this straight guy though...
If you don't want to show off your frame I can tell you that dark colors are friendly and light colors aren't.

Unless you want to draw unwanted attention stay away from paisley's and Hawaiian shirts. Though I tend to like the Caribbean Joe shirt lines.

If you're shopping for a suit, tailoring really is the best way to go. If you're on a budget, then buying a jacket and pants at a thrifty price and having them taken-in let out by a tailor is also an option.

Red, no. Maroon, yes. Burgandy, yes. OD Green, no. Dark Green, yes.

Also, be honest with yourself about your ass. If you don't have one, then buy suspenders and use them. You'll be fidgiting with your pants much less often and it's far more comfortable than pulling your pants up every time you stand up.

If you're on vacation and partying though, forget everything I said, give the finger to anyone who says you might look bad, and wear whatever you want.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadside View Post
Also, be honest with yourself about your ass. If you don't have one, then buy suspenders and use them.
Rep!
ConnieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
So I never learned any sort of fashion outside of regular joe schmoe, or military fatigue styles.
OK, here's advice from a fat chick who also has years of past experience shopping for fat guy.

You are in a big, comfy rut. You can get out of that rut while maintaining the comfy.

A brick and mortar CasualMale store is a good place to start. They have a nice selection and knowledgable sales folks.

First rule: If you ain't gonna wear it, don't buy it. Regardless of how cute someone else tells you it is.

For myself, I add another rule to this. I don't buy anything that has to be ironed or dry cleaned. Life is too short to spend time on that stuff!

Natural fabrics are your friends. Read the labels. This includes more than cotton t-shirts. Before you ever buy a shirt, feel it. Would a woman want to run her hand down it?

If you find a shirt that you like and that you thinks look good on you and that you feel good wearing, buy it in every PRETTY color! Not blah colors (black, white, brown, tan, navy) and not neon colors. Don't tell me you don't know which colors are pretty. If it's a color you'd like to see a woman wearing as lingerie, it's a pretty color

Most guys look good and feel comfortable in jeans and khakis. Stay away from the ones with fifty pockets and loops, and all that spot faded, worn out before you buy them stuff. Make sure they fit. Buy the relaxed cut if you need it, but don't buy them too big or too small, or too long.

Keep a couple of pairs of decent, clean , unscuffed "going out" shoes. Nothing drags down your look like worn shoes.

Remember, to go less casual, add buttons, and to go even dressier, tuck it in.

Don't forget to buy some nice underwear and socks as well
Old 07-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
Paquito
don't July to me

Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!

Just really make sure that you're staying true to yourself. Don't go GQ 24/7 if you're casual. Don't bling out if you like to keep it simple. Just make it the best version of your style. I'm not inclined to tell someone to stay away from a certain color palette or whatever. If that's your style, rock it out. For example, Hozay wears some ridiculous socks and I'm super jealous of that. Don't confine yourself to some preset rules if you're not that kind of guy.

Don't hesitate to check out the fashion board, or this nifty little thread with some outside resources.
Paquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

As an aside....learn how to wash and dry your clothes properly. A lot of colors run. A lot of fabrics shrink. Know how to use the machines. Don't overstuff the washer or dryer. Putting the dryer on supernova hot will kill your clothing so take it easy with that. Fabric softener is your friend as long as you don't go crazy or have allergies. Follow directions!

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Broadside

Broadside has super-sized repBroadside has super-sized repBroadside has super-sized repBroadside has super-sized rep

Well I wasn't going to get into undergarments, but I'm a fan of the George Foreman collection.

Black and white socks, bottom of the shin high.

Black boxer briefs. Sure they're slimming, but maybe that will be a fun surprise later.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Boxer briefs ARE hot...good suggestion...

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 07-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
Hozay J Garseeya
Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.

Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.

awww paco, I feel so special I got a little shout out.

Like Paq said, don't confine yourself, wear something crazy, and if you feel you can pull it off, you probably can. Fashion is like art. It's not the same for everyone, different things appeal to different people.

Much like paq said, you can't tell someone to stay away from stripes or specific colors or patterns. It's about how YOU feel in the close. Step out of your comfort zone and try something new.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #11
escapist
Belt Buster!

escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

#1 Find clothing that is you! If you can set your budget high for at least 1 outfit that is very you no matter the cost. Take your time putting it together. If you can find a cool shop that actually has women with a good eye have some fun and be playful with them and get them to help you find stuff that works well (but make sure you only buy it if its you who likes it not just them).

#2 Build from rule 1. If you purchased casual, get something dressy, or visa-versa. Also add in accessories that are still VERY you. A watch, bracelet, ring, necklace

and basically here ya go again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapist View Post
Well I'll just make this simple:

Quote:
Yeah I think i'm sticking with Casual Male XL. Very much my Size style and everything (remember I'm a SSBHM 450 lbs. +).

I wear this shirt a lot I just love it:

My Belt:

My Shoes:

Add some cool Inox Jewelry and your ready to roll in Vegas

Like an interesting Pendant:

A cool ring or 2:

lets not forget a cool bracelet:

And now you pretty much dress like me....

The only update is now I'm in a 6x and have a 24" neck
Old 07-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think people here have covered most of what I was going to say, so I'll focus on one small area....not because I think it is most important, but because it was the one that hasn't been discussed in as much depth.

Details matter. Fabric, 'accessories' (to the degree that guys use them), shoes...

The difference between a shirt that looks blah and one that looks sharp is often the fabric, and when it isn't the fabric it is how the cut sits on you. So always take things out of the package, touch them, hold them up to the light, and try them on. When things are getting older, they don't look as sharp, even if there is 'nothing wrong with them' because the colour is getting unever, they've stretched a bit, a couple of stitches have gone, etc. Polyester, even just 35%, tends to wear out faster than other fabrics in my experience.

Ironing: much of male clothing really does need ironing. The 'no iron' stuff still needs ironing, just it is much faster to iron. Become friends with your iron....it is a good activity to get out of the way while watching TV (just not sports, because your eyes are off the screen a lot). t-shirts, golf shirts, jeans, those don't need ironing, thank goodness, but most of the rest does.

If you wear a watch, don't have the outdoor survivalist 24-function monster on with a dress shirt If the strap is getting old and worn, replace it.

Shoes: if leather, keep them at least lightly polished. Don't need to gleam with most clothes, but not scuffed either. If the shoes are getting broken down, save them for mucking around in and get new ones. You do need a few pairs of different styles, if possible.

Belts: see shoes, except for the polishing part.

Socks have already been addressed....but make sure you have a variety of socks, so you can have something that isn't going to look too odd with the rest of what you are wearing (don't want wool hiking socks with a suit, or super fine silk sockds with jeans and sneakers, etc)

And most of all, head up, shoulders back, look the world in the eye. You look like you have decent height and wide shoulders, and given that build you can probably pull off almost anything if you look like you are confident and ready to take on life!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Not the biggest fan of man jewelery...no...it's your choice but I like one piece (not counting a watch) ONE ring and maybe possibly one stud in an ear but after that it's too freakin showy and trying too damned hard.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 07-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #14
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Heya all, I'm come to a question I've never really been able to ask anyone at home. I get the "oh you're just fine and dandy" response all the time here no matter what. But never really get an answer. (I could be dressed in a burlap sack)

Ladies and gents, I've lived a simple existence so far, and was never really concerned with the way I look. So I never learned any sort of fashion outside of regular joe schmoe, or military fatigue styles..

What can I do to improve my appearance to be more appealing to the outside world? I've been in a relationship for 16 years, and never really had a need to learn these things. I'm sick of feeling self loathing, and fear whenever I think of going out and maybe meeting someone. Anything constructive is greatly appreciated, and thanks for your time.

Sorry for the darker pic quality. Only one handy I have of myself with hair.
This the most blunt, simple answer I can give (and it is completely subjective): don't shave your head, but lose the moustache. Don't change your wardrobe - military type clothes are awesome.

That would look great
Old 07-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
Ninja Glutton
Film and Music Geek

Ninja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNinja Glutton is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I'd always take a woman's advice on how to dress (as long as she was well-dressed herself, of course)

Personally, I rock the khakis and short-sleeved polos year round. It's simple and it can be casual or somewhat dressy depending on if you tuck your shirt in, choice of shoes and belt, etc.

The cardinal rule is that your shoes and belt should always match.

A few button down shirts are always nice to have on hand if you want to go out on the town or feel like dressing up a bit.

Other than that, I say go with what you like. There is no right or wrong way to dress if you feel confident and attractive wearing it. The fact that you have the balls to even ask for advice shows that maybe you're in need of a slight change, but you don't have to be Mario Lopez.
Ninja Glutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #16
escapist
Belt Buster!

escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!escapist has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
Not the biggest fan of man jewelery...no...it's your choice but I like one piece (not counting a watch) ONE ring and maybe possibly one stud in an ear but after that it's too freakin showy and trying too damned hard.
I tend to agree, for me really dressed up is 1-2 Rings 1 watch, 1 bracelet, 1 necklace (if shirt is appropriate for it). I'm fairly Conservative though so no piercings or anything on me. I'm sure for the Emo, Goth, Rockers this might be to little. Like I said personal style is important for sure. Find stuff that works for you. Interestingly enough the 1 ear-ring thing went away in the 90's for guys. I personally can't Gage my ears so the Plug thing just isn't going to happen.

Ok I guess I agree except for the ring part, pretty normal to have a wedding/engagement/relationship status ring and 1 other ring like a school, military, religious, achievement type ring (or just personality)
Old 07-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #17
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
I tend to agree, for me really dressed up is 1-2 Rings 1 watch, 1 bracelet, 1 necklace (if shirt is appropriate for it). I'm fairly Conservative though so no piercings or anything on me. I'm sure for the Emo, Goth, Rockers this might be to little. Like I said personal style is important for sure. Find stuff that works for you. Interestingly enough the 1 ear-ring thing went away in the 90's for guys. I personally can't Gage my ears so the Plug thing just isn't going to happen.

Ok I guess I agree except for the ring part, pretty normal to have a wedding/engagement/relationship status ring and 1 other ring like a school, military, religious, achievement type ring (or just personality)
I'm not a fan of man piercings myself but like you said, personal style. That being said, piercings through one's junk is a huge turn-off. The only hardware I want in me is human flesh.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 07-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #18
escapist
Belt Buster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
I'm not a fan of man piercings myself but like you said, personal style. That being said, piercings through one's junk is a huge turn-off. The only hardware I want in me is human flesh.
Yeah can we say YIKES! I have a friend who thinks its awesome, and yeah that just taking it to damn far lol.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #19
SillyLady
I am random.

SillyLady can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSillyLady can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSillyLady can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

My personal preference on a man is cargo pants or shorts. *sigh* I am a sucker for a guy wearing those! I swear it makes all men look better. But that is just me.

I have also noticed when a BHM wears button down shirts as opposed to t-shirts it looks better as well. I don't necessarily mean the stuffy-buisness-apparel. I just mean a comfortable button down shirt that you can find in the casual section.

I think it is awesome that you asked for advice on what to where here! Instant rep for that!!

Good luck!!

Twitter @amberbombshells (make sure to add the S at the end)
SillyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #20
Chongo

Chongo can now change their title

I thank you all so much. I was really apprehensive about looking the fool with a post like this. The wonderful responses have been staggering to say the least. I've been kicking around the idea of shaving the stache for a while, the only things stopping me is a crooked smile, and a baby face. What would you honestly rather see ladies?

As for the hair.. Unfortunately, I'm beginning to bald up front. I'm doing the minoxidil thing, but I don't think its working. So I figure may as well shave it down, rather then fool with a rug, or weird patches. I guess this is just a natural part of aging I'll have to accept.

I love the button shirts, I just can't ever seem to find any long enough, but I'll be trying to shop more at that Fashionable Male. I'd never seen that place, and appreciate the heads up.

I never realized what a pain it would be to try and dress right till I had to try it. I'd never had to learn. Old BDU uniforms don't have much variety for style, and whatever fits from Walmart is a drag.

I certainly appreciate any further input, and will post again soon. Thanks a million all!

Probably my most natural pic. See what I mean? I can't even dress for fun?
-Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lakeside.jpg (84.2 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Chongo; 07-15-2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #21
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

Quote:
What would you honestly rather see ladies?
When it comes to hair, whether on your head on on your face, I personally like it nicely trimmed / maintained.

What you see as a crooked smile, others may see as endearing

Quote:
I love the button shirts, I just can't ever seem to find any long enough
Just in case you don't know, shirts for men come in sizes that are both extra large plus extra long. I also forgot to mention that Marshalls stores usually have a pretty good large guy section.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #22
FishCharming
derailer extraordinaire!

FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!FishCharming has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
I think people here have covered most of what I was going to say, so I'll focus on one small area....not because I think it is most important, but because it was the one that hasn't been discussed in as much depth.

Details matter. Fabric, 'accessories' (to the degree that guys use them), shoes...

The difference between a shirt that looks blah and one that looks sharp is often the fabric, and when it isn't the fabric it is how the cut sits on you. So always take things out of the package, touch them, hold them up to the light, and try them on. When things are getting older, they don't look as sharp, even if there is 'nothing wrong with them' because the colour is getting unever, they've stretched a bit, a couple of stitches have gone, etc. Polyester, even just 35%, tends to wear out faster than other fabrics in my experience.

Ironing: much of male clothing really does need ironing. The 'no iron' stuff still needs ironing, just it is much faster to iron. Become friends with your iron....it is a good activity to get out of the way while watching TV (just not sports, because your eyes are off the screen a lot). t-shirts, golf shirts, jeans, those don't need ironing, thank goodness, but most of the rest does.

If you wear a watch, don't have the outdoor survivalist 24-function monster on with a dress shirt If the strap is getting old and worn, replace it.

Shoes: if leather, keep them at least lightly polished. Don't need to gleam with most clothes, but not scuffed either. If the shoes are getting broken down, save them for mucking around in and get new ones. You do need a few pairs of different styles, if possible.

Belts: see shoes, except for the polishing part.

Socks have already been addressed....but make sure you have a variety of socks, so you can have something that isn't going to look too odd with the rest of what you are wearing (don't want wool hiking socks with a suit, or super fine silk sockds with jeans and sneakers, etc)

And most of all, head up, shoulders back, look the world in the eye. You look like you have decent height and wide shoulders, and given that build you can probably pull off almost anything if you look like you are confident and ready to take on life!

ahhh, now the stafford "super shirt" truly is wrinkle free. it's a poly-cotton blend so it doesn't breathe great but really, you could pull it out from under your couch after being there for a week and after 10 minutes of wear there's not a wrinkle to find! they hold their color for a long time too.

another thing to look for when buying dress shirts is length. if you're not buying a long or tall cut often times the last button will end somewhere near your belly button (at least it does on me) so if you're not careful you end up with your belly playing peekaboo (although even stafford regular lengths are long enough for me)

my favorite style is dress shirt with sleeves folded up, cargo shorts and flipflops. it's casual without being sloppy.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #23
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Re hair and beard--as long as a man is neat and clean it's a non-issue for me. Crooked smiles and baby faces can have a lot of charm.

Your look in the fishing pic is appropriate, Chongo. If you wore that to a dinner out or a wedding, then I would have a serious issue with your choices.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Last edited by CastingPearls; 07-15-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:03 AM   #24
lovelocs
Nunc est Bibendum

lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Hair.

Mr Chongo,
I agree with Melian re the hair, and honestly, the best solution I've ever seen was on my doctor, he had a receding hairline, as well. He simple kept his facial hair and head hair at the same 3/16" length (I'm guessing that was the length). I knew he was balding, but didn't "notice." Also, hair of that length is very touchable...

As for clothing, don't forget thrifting. You get a much greater variety, and at least, where I am, there's a lot of larger sizes.