Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 07-28-2007, 07:54 PM   #226
biodieselman

biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho Ho Tai View Post
BDMan - I sent the following article to many, including Risible and several profs in my old physics department. Did you see them? Take a look. Do you think there is anything to it? I just checked. As of July 28, 2007, the article is still available.

NJIT Researchers Develop Inexpensive, Easy Process To Produce Solar Panels

http://www.njit.edu/publicinfo/press...lease_1040.php
Thanks, I read the article you referenced. The problem is that there are so many new, promising technologies that are are near market ready, I'm afraid to fork out money, only to find something cheaper & better just hit the market.

I keep reading about new materials being developed that show great promise but haven't reached the market yet. Here is a snipped article on thin film PhotoVoltaic materials.

"...The report examines key product sectors that will create revenue opportunities over the next several years. Integrated building and construction products such as PV enabled roofing and window materials are projected to be the largest market opportunity measuring $800 million ($US) in 2011 with large project and consumer electronic products the second and third largest market opportunities.

On the materials front, amorphous silicon, the best established of the various thin-film PV materials, will represent an $800 million ($US) opportunity followed by organic and hybrid organic/inorganic materials and then CIS/CIGS.

Thin film/organic PV is also generating buzz in the industry and several companies have received large VC rounds. Major multinationals are also supporting this technology as Honda has announced it will soon start full-scale production of thin film PV and Shell has just sold off its conventional PV business to focus on thin film. On the other hand, NanoMarkets points out that thin film and organic PV is also a technology space that has received its fair share of hype and controversy with competing claims by different manufacturers on where and how it can be applied and disputes over conversion efficiencies and costs per watt....
"

The electronics to convert DC voltage from PV film, paint or panels into true sine wave, 60hz, 120v AC are also getting cheaper.

I was reading in my "Biodiesel Magazine," published for worldwide commercial biodiesel producers, "Surveys show only about 5 percent of consumers are truly 'green' enough to pay more for alternative fuels...." I'm afraid I'm still in that category, the prices have to come down a little more per kilowatt before I can afford a PV system.

But I'm optimistic that with a little increase in federal & state tax incentives, plus reduced materials & electronic costs, soon my roof will be covered with PV photovoltaics, here in sunny So Cal, where we have horrible sunstorms nearly every day .
Old 07-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #227
MrChipz

MrChipz can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMrChipz can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

There are some algae that grow well in seawater and contain up to 30% oil. Making biodiesel out of them makes sense, because that wouldn't compete with food crops for land and fresh water. Salvaging used fryer oil that would otherwise be dumped or incinerated is also a good idea. OTOH, burning food in cars will only drive up the prices of the crops you make the biodiesel from, which will exert pressure on food prices generally. That's good news for the agricorps, bad news for the rest of us.
MrChipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:13 PM   #228
biodieselman

biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!

Abandoned copper smelters, old dumps, chemical refuse heaps, cesspools, contaminated heavy industrial sites, hazardous waste sites. How can the EPA's Superfund program clean up thousands of acres of polluted soils after years of heavy industry? ...No guesses?...Come on, you guys know me. BIODIESEL

DaimlerChrysler is one of several large companies that polluted a five square-mile area in Rose Township in Oakland County, Mich. The soil & ground water will remain polluted for years. Can't build schools on it, can't make a park out of it, no one will eat anything grown on it.... Wait... we can use the contaminated ground water & contaminated soil to grow soybeans for biodiesel.

DaimlerChrysler & other responsible parties formed a unique partnership to turn the Rose Township industrial area into crop land for biodiesel production. Michigan & Detroit are looking to position themselves as leaders in the development of alternative fuels.

The Department of Crop and Soil Sciences at Michigan State University & NextEnergy Center (NEC) funded by the U.S. DOE National Biofuels Energy Laboratory, will monitor the site to determine if growing crops on contaminated soil will aid in cleaning up soil & ground water contamination. They will research how best to clean up pollution, reclaim the land & work towards energy independence.

The EPA Superfund also has work underway at an additional 422 contaminated sites across the nation. The EPA is using this as a "return to use" initiative, making what is now 'useless land', productive once again.

Last edited by biodieselman; 08-27-2007 at 09:22 PM.
biodieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:57 AM   #229
J34
Purple Monkey Dishwasher!

J34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

If you live in New Jersey there are dozens of these superfund sites. Many of these places are heavily contaminated. In my town I remember there was a DuPont plant that was torn down. It took over 7yrs for them to finally build on it. I am a very strong advocate of alternative energy sources. Right now I study Architecture and Cardiology. There are ways we can build homes that waste little to no energy. The problem is that most homes in the US are terribly inefficient and very old. Even if we all fix the car situation there is the major problem w/ housing.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:25 AM   #230
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J34 View Post
If you live in New Jersey there are dozens of these superfund sites. Many of these places are heavily contaminated. In my town I remember there was a DuPont plant that was torn down. It took over 7yrs for them to finally build on it. I am a very strong advocate of alternative energy sources. Right now I study Architecture and Cardiology. There are ways we can build homes that waste little to no energy. The problem is that most homes in the US are terribly inefficient and very old. Even if we all fix the car situation there is the major problem w/ housing.
Bio and I own a home in So Cal. We'd love to get off the grid by installing a solar energy system. Pretty pricey, this is.

I wish the Bush Administration had put the country in debt to the tune of trillions of dollars to make our country oil independent rather than wage a false war. I'd like to see the government get serious about subsidizing the modernization of the energy efficiency of these older homes that you mentioned. Yeah, it'd cost the taxpayers big bucks, but it would benefit you, me, and every other citizen here.

Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:53 PM   #231
J34

J34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

^^^^ Very true. I don't want to look back in the past, but one of the reasons I wanted Al Gore to be president was because of his eco-concerns. He always fought to protect nature and advocate for many green intitiatives. Unfortanetely we got stuck with the oil barron from Texas controlling our energy policy.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:16 PM   #232
biodieselman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J34 View Post
... There are ways we can build homes that waste little to no energy. The problem is that most homes in the US are terribly inefficient and very old. Even if we all fix the car situation there is the major problem w/ housing.
I've been reading many examples of states, cities & counties across the nation acting to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Some one has to act, at the federal government level they are too busy passing laws to enrich huge multi-national corporations or passing themselves pay raises.

Here is the latest example of a local California government doing what congress can't or more likely won't do. Acting with global responsibility.

"San Bernardino County to waive fees for solar, wind systems...
By Sara Lin, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
August 28, 2007

Environmentally friendly developers and homeowners in San Bernardino County could start seeing green -- and saving money -- thanks to initiatives announced Monday by county supervisors.

Under a four-part plan unveiled by board Chairman Paul Biane that is expected to be approved by the Board of Supervisors today, the county will waive building permit fees for homeowners installing solar and wind-generated energy systems and expedite applications from developers whose projects meet certain green-building criteria.

"Time is money," Biane said. "We're encouraging residents and businesses to make changes that will help us cut our greenhouse gas emissions."

Homeowners currently pay $200 for a solar permit and $250 for a wind-energy permit, county planning officials said....

...also features a county website encouraging residents to "go green" and a pledge by supervisors that new county buildings and any renovations of existing facilities will comply with national green building standards. Several California counties, including Orange and Marin, have incorporated greenhouse gas measures in their planning....

...Under San Bernardino County's new plan, several other energy-efficient technologies for the home will be covered by the permit fee waiver, include tankless water heaters and energy-efficient heating, ventilation and air-conditioning systems. The priority processing for green builders will shave weeks off a review process that can last more than a year.

The county is also trying to cut carbon emissions by expanding its fleet of hybrid cars..."

Alternative energy is coming, alternative energy is coming.
Attached Images
File Type: gif woot2.gif (1.4 KB, 111 views)
Old 09-11-2007, 08:58 PM   #233
biodieselman

I found a good algae/biodiesel production process video (please be patient, it takes a couple of minutes to load up). This video only represents one of many processes currently being developed. Oilgae is still developing technology, but there are many nations & companies racing to develop a cost-effective replacement for Middle East oil.

Seems I was too quick to dismiss ethanol & hydrogen.

Pond scum algae for biodiesel is good at growing oil, allowing it to float on water.

Other species of algae are good at growing carbohydrates which can be used to make ethanol or possibly hydrogen. Algae may finally make elemental hydrogen production cost effective instead of today's technology, requiring more energy to produce hydrogen than the energy the process yields. Now if only they can get the cost of a hydrogen fuel cell car under $200K.

There is also tons of research in bio-plastics using soy, corn & of course algae.

Oilgae loves to eat our nitrogen-polluted sewage, loves to eat our greenhouse gas pollution, doesn't take food off our tables & doesn't need good farm land to grow.

We really need to stop funding Middle East terrorism with our gasoline nozzles.

Last edited by biodieselman; 09-11-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:26 AM   #234
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Jatropha

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodieselman View Post

Pond scum algae for biodiesel is good at growing oil, allowing it to float on water.

Other species of algae are good at growing carbohydrates which can be used to make ethanol or possibly hydrogen. Algae may finally make elemental hydrogen production cost effective instead of today's technology, requiring more energy to produce hydrogen than the energy the process yields. Now if only they can get the cost of a hydrogen fuel cell car under $200K.

There is also tons of research in bio-plastics using soy, corn & of course algae.

Oilgae loves to eat our nitrogen-polluted sewage, loves to eat our greenhouse gas pollution, doesn't take food off our tables & doesn't need good farm land to grow.

We really need to stop funding Middle East terrorism with our gasoline nozzles.
Wouldn't it be a wonderful quirk of fate of pondscum pulled the rug out from under the 'Pondscum' who who run Big Government, Big Oil, Big et c., who feed off the rest of us and our bad habits?

I'd like your comments, BDMan, on another potential alternative which was discussed in a recent NYTimes article: Jatropha. This NYTimes article appears to have an open link. If it doesn't work, try Googling [Jatropha "Lydia Polgreen"]
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/09/wo...green,%20Lydia

I offer this brief excerpt:

"Maliís Farmers Discover a Weedís Potential Power"
By LYDIA POLGREEN
Published: September 9, 2007

KOULIKORO, Mali ó When Suleiman Diarra Bananiís brother said that the poisonous black seeds dropping from the seemingly worthless weed that had grown around his family farm for decades could be used to run a generator, or even a car, Mr. Banani did not believe him. When he suggested that they intersperse the plant, until now used as a natural fence between rows of their regular crops ó edible millet, peanuts, corn and beans ó he thought his older brother, Dadjo, was crazy.

"The greatest wisdom: Love and Laughter, Inter-twined."
Ho Ho Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #235
biodieselman

I've been a lazy gardener this year, with the multiple home improvement projects taking up too much time. At least I've managed to completely stay away from gas stations for another year. Just wouldn't do to pull up into a station & stick a dino-diesel nozzle into a truck with bumper stickers reading "Biodiesel -Cleaner Than A Prius" & "Biodiesel - Helping To Reverse the Greenhouse Effect" now would it?

I've started cleaning up spent spring/summer plants, getting ready for fall/winter planting. The mild L.A. winters are actually the best time for gardening. Can't grow heat loving crops such as corn & beans but the cool season veggies love the warm days & cool nights. There's no big burst of crops greater than you can eat & the insect pest problems are greatly reduced.

You can see in Ris's basket, she loves baskets, zucchini, okra, tomatoes & sweet corn. The tomato vines are two years old, yes you heard me - two years old, & the vines are losing vigor as the fruits are getting smaller & smaller. Time for them to go. The variety of sweet corn I grew this year is a Japanese favorite called Montauk that is truly superior. Super sweet genes usually make the kernels tough & the corn flavor is lost. Montauk kernels are too tender for commercial shipping, it has a very high sugar content yet retains corn flavor. I'm probably going to grow Montauk again. Corn sugars immediately begin converting to starch & I waited just long enough to take a photo. I've already eaten this corn & I got butter all in my keyboard while typing this posting.

We had too many carrots left from last fall's planting & I didn't get around to pulling them out to replant the bed with a summer crop. Carrot is a biennial, planted as an annual for eating, flowers & produces seed the second year. After two years of growing deep into a dark hole in the fertile soil of Mother Earth, they grew a 'little woody'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize42.jpg (116.8 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg resize43.jpg (72.4 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by biodieselman; 09-20-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #236
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Great pix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodieselman View Post

You can see in Ris's basket, she loves baskets, zucchini, okra, tomatoes & sweet corn.

We had too many carrots left from last fall's planting & I didn't get around to pulling them out to replant the bed with a summer crop. Carrot is a biennial, planted as an annual for eating, flowers & produces seed the second year. After two years of growing deep into a dark hole in the fertile soil of Mother Earth, they grew a 'little woody'.
OK - I gotta ask. Somebody will, and I may as well have the bad-taste albatross hung around my neck. In that first picture, is that a zucchini you're holding, or are you just glad to see Risible?

In the second - "Carrot Critter Attacks" Gad! What is that thing?

Old 09-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #237
biodieselman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho Ho Tai View Post
OK - I gotta ask. Somebody will, and I may as well have the bad-taste albatross hung around my neck. In that first picture, is that a zucchini you're holding, or are you just glad to see Risible?

In the second - "Carrot Critter Attacks" Gad! What is that thing?
That's a cucumber! What did you think it was? BTW, I'm always glad to see Ris, she's a beautiful woman!

Why... that's a carrot! What did you think it was?

And you sir, never have bad taste. I have nothing but respect for you. I'm being serious this time.

Last edited by biodieselman; 09-20-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #238
stan_der_man
The Teflon Frog

Location: Born in The Mission, raised on Rt. 66, living in the Squirrel Ghetto, SoCal
stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Carrots are nature's original phallic symbol...

Here's an article that caught my eye in yesterday's L.A. Times:

"To go green, live closer to work"
"New study says planning compact, mixed-use communities instead of suburbs would help save the planet from effects of greenhouse gases."

Didn't the Europeans discover that 50 years ago!?

Stan

"Regardless of who runs the websites and organizations, the cause belongs to all of us.
stan_der_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #239
biodieselman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa_man_stan View Post
Carrots are nature's original phallic symbol... ...
Geez, Stan, you should have seen some of the other carrots I threw into the green waste recycle bin. Some of the ones that weren't forked were over 20" long & much thicker than a soda can.

Yesterday I went to a local Hazardous Waste Round Up, this one in nearby Covina. I save all the defective circuit boards I replace at work because of the lead solder & other toxic chemicals in the circuit boards. I dropped off an old computer, spent AA batteries, four nearly empty cans of paint from the bathroom remodel, fluorescent bulbs & the NiCad battery from Ris's electric leg shaver.

Feels good to dispose of stuff responsibly.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #240
biodieselman

"bioplastics Magazine", June, 2007, pg 5

Quote:
Metabolix and AMD announce brand name Mirel tm

Metaboliz... and Archer Daniels Midland... announced they have named their Joint venture Telles tm, after the Roman goddess of the Earth. Telles is now building its first commercial scale plant for the production of PHA in Clinton, Iowa, USA. This plant is expected to start up in 2008 and will produce the cor-based PHA, (bioplastic) at an annual rate of about 50,000 tons.

The family of high performance natural plastics that are bio-based, sustainable and completely biodegradable, ... will be marketed and sold under the brand name Mirel tm Natural Plastics.

Internet survey

In April of 2007... a USA-wide online survey for Telles... Here are some of the results...

1. 72% ... do not know that plastic is made out of crude oil/petroleum.

2. ... respondents estimated 38% of plastic material is recycled (the reality is less than 6%, according to the EPA...)

3. ...38.1% of respondents said plastic will biodegrade under ground,...in landfills, or in the ocean (plastic will not biodegrade in any of these environments).

4. After learning that plastic is made from oil and never biodegrades, half ... of respondents stated they would be likely... to pay 5-10% more for a natural, biodegradable plastic...

"Everyone knows about the reliance on oil and the impact that petroleum use has on climate change," said Jim Barber... "Similarly, people see a lot of plastic waste in the form of litter. But the fact that so many people are unaware that plastic is made from oil and that it will persist in the environment for thousands of years, shows the need for education about the impact of plastic on the environment and the various alternatives made from renewable resources".
IMO, we are beginning to see more & more evidence of the change to a bio-based economy. Few of us appreciate just how many of the materials we consume everyday are made from crude oil. As the costs of petroleum increase & the costs of biofuels & bioplastics become cheaper, it won't make a difference whether you believe in global warming or not. Simple economic forces will bring about sustainability of natural resources & finally closing the carbon cycle.

Last edited by biodieselman; 10-03-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:14 PM   #241
Ho Ho Tai

Default Dammit - foiled again!

BDMan - we just must do something about these green cans! It's been ages since the board would let me issue more of them to you, and you said your garage is already full of those green oil drums.

Hmmm! How about some gold stars instead?

Old 10-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #242
newlylarge

newlylarge has said some nice things

The thing about environmentalism that I find frustrating is how many people are not educated as to the realities of such matters. For example, how many times have we heard about "saving trees" by recycling paper? Well, the trees used for paper pulp are not high-quality "old growth" trees, but rather cheap, fast growing trees that are grown like crops. So when you use paper, you are consuming trees that have been grown for that purpose and which will be replanted. It is more like agriculture than logging.

Another matter I am familiar with because I work with the industry is wind power. I am not saying that wind power is not a good thing, but for many technical reasons, it cannot be a replacement for conventional generation. Wind generation is very expensive and would not even be economically viable if not for tax breaks. Moreover, wind energy can only be used in certain areas where the wind blows sufficiently. Additionally, wind power cannot be turned on or off as needed to meet demand, which is necessary for any primary power source. So wind energy is great and can supplement other forms of generation. But do not be fooled into thinking that it can replace our primary generation sources.

Finally, there are hybrids. Once again, hybrids are great. My Dad has one and it works very well. But if we are REALLY serious about reducing fuel consumption and emissions, there is a much more simple solution. Drive smaller vehicles.

I am not suggesting driving "tiny" little cars here. I merely point out that Americans have embraced SUVs and minivans that are really larger than necessary for most people. For most families, a standard sedan should be sufficient. But people seem to feel that, if they have a child or two, they need the extra room of an SUV or minivan. Well, when I was a kid and I had a younger brother, my mom somehow made due with a convertible coupe for both my brother and I as well as "cargo" such as groceries, diaper-bags, etc.

A standard sedan seats four (especially if two are children) and has an adequate trunk for storage. So unless you have a family of five or more, an SUV or minivan seems unnecessary. Put the kids in the back seat of a sedan and your "cargo" in the trunk. Believe it or not, it really works just as it has for decades before Detroit started pushing SUVs and minivans on us.

If everyone who does not really NEED an SUV or minivan, but drives one anyway, switches to a more fuel efficient sedan, we could save huge amounts of fuel and emissions. No fancy new tech needed.

Now I know that many here probably drive SUVs and minivans and may take issue with my assertions. But think about whether you REALLY need such vehicles. Think about what vehicles your parents used to drive you around in when you were a kid, at least, if you are over 25-years old.
newlylarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:29 AM   #243
James
vibeout

James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!

have something you dont want any more..?

dont want to use up landfill space throwing it away?

give it away to someone who wants it using freecycle!

http://www.freecycle.org/

(freecycle mission statement - "Our mission is to build a worldwide gifting movement that reduces waste, saves precious resources & eases the burden on our landfills while enabling our members to benefit from the strength of a larger community." )

Last edited by James; 10-09-2007 at 03:42 AM.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:00 AM   #244
mango
Mustachio Nut

mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!
Arrow

One Roo Burger please.....

Quote:
Greenpeace urges kangaroo consumption to fight global warming

Karen Collier
October 10, 2007 02:35pm

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...80-662,00.html

MORE kangaroos should be slaughtered and eaten to help save the world from global warming, environmental activists say.

The controversial call to cut down on beef and serve more of the national symbol on our dinner plates follows a report on curbing greenhouse gas emissions damaging the planet.

Greenpeace energy campaigner Mark Wakeham urged Aussies to substitute some red meat for roo to help reduce land clearing and the release of methane gas.

"It is one of the lifestyle changes we can make," Mr Wakeham said.

"Changing our meat consumption habits is a small way to make an impact."

The eat roo recommendation is contained in a report, Paths to a Low-Carbon Future, commissioned by Greenpeace and released today.

It also coincides with recent calls from climate change experts for people in rich countries to reduce red meat and switch to chicken and fish because land-clearing and burping and farting cattle and sheep were damaging the environment.

They said nearly a quarter of the planet's greenhouse gases came from agriculture, which releases the potent heat-trapping gas methane.

Roughly three million kangaroos are killed and harvested for meat each year. They are shot with high-powered guns between the eyes at night.

Australians eat about a third of the 30 million kilograms of roo meat produced annually. The delicacy is exported to dozens of countries and is most popular in Germany, France and Belgium.

The Greenpeace report has renewed calls for Victoria to lift a ban on harvesting roos for food.

Kangaroo Industry Association of Australia spokesman John Kelly said roos invading farmers' crops were already being illegally shot.

"They are being culled and left to rot," Mr Kelly said.

Today's report by leading scientist Dr Mark Diesendorf, from the University of NSW, says greenhouse gas emissions need to be slashed by at least a third by 2020 to avoid a climate change catastrophe.

His recommendations include:

REDUCING beef consumption and increasing kangaroo meat production.

CUTTING gas and coal production.

HALTING land clearing and deforestation.

SHIFTING to renewable energy such as wind power and bioelectricity from crop residues.

"The world is currently on track to experience runaway global warming with average temperatures soon to exceed 2 degrees above pre-industrial levels, Dr Diesendorf said.

"We face a catastrophe unless there is urgent action to cut greenhouse gas emissions by at least 30 per cent by 2020."

A major report by the CSIRO and Bureau of Meteorology released this month warned average temperatures will rise 1C by 2030 and could increase as much as 5C in Australia by 2070 unless global greenhouse emissions are cut dramatically.
mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #245
Ho Ho Tai

Default 'roo meat -

Tried it. Made me jumpy.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #246
biodieselman

DuPont of the U.S. was one of the first companies to publicly establish environmental goals 16 years ago after being bashed for years due to their pollution. DuPont has spent millions on research & it is starting to pay off. Bioplastics is still a niche market in the U.S. but it's starting to catch on in Europe. Manufacturing plants are being thrown up all over Europe.

Now China is getting into bioplastics. A Chinese company named Livan is building two, (19.6 million Euro), plants in Hungary. They will create 800 jobs & 50,000 tons of bioplastic per year using corn as feedstock. Livan will double the capacity after the first plants are operational.

This month's issue arrived wrapped in a 100% biodegradable plastic cover. Notice the richness of the colors & yes the bag was tough to tear open.

Sainsbury in the UK announced that they are going to replace the packaging material of 500 product lines. New Zealand's 'good' brand bottled water will be bottled with bioplastic.

Get out of the way petroleum-plastic!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize48.jpg (67.5 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by biodieselman; 01-16-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #247
J34

Great news biodieselman. Living in Jersey is great to see companies take personal responsibility for their actions. We had a former DuPont plant that was replaced by a community college. However the site clean-up took years. But is nice to see something thriving there for once.

We must all do our fare share in saving the environment. thanks for all the updates biodieselman
Old 10-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #248
jjx560

jjx560 can now change their title

This is a great thread, the enthusiasm behind good environmental practice is really encouraging about the future. Currently I'm trying to find a good Mercedes diesel to do the biodiesel/waste veg oil conversion like biodiesel man (though if I had the money I'd love to have a brand new Dodge Cummins diesel). It's funny to me that a lot of people who drive new hybrid cars really tout them as the end all of environmental cleanliness. They never realize how much extra energy and parts (ergo pollution as a result of energy needed for the manufacturing process) and the disposal of the batteries once they bite the dust at 100k or so. Wheras I'd rather just get a car that was built 20 years ago, has a tough diesel engine and is still a luxury car (leather, A/C full power=luxury to me) and run it on cheap or free fuel that doesn't pollute much.
jjx560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #249
biodieselman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjx560 View Post
... Currently I'm trying to find a good Mercedes diesel to do the biodiesel/waste veg oil conversion... It's funny to me that a lot of people who drive new hybrid cars really tout them as the end all of environmental cleanliness. They never realize how much extra energy and parts (ergo pollution as a result of energy needed for the manufacturing process) and the disposal of the batteries once they bite the dust at 100k or so. Wheras I'd rather just get a car that was built 20 years ago, has a tough diesel engine and is still a luxury car (leather, A/C full power=luxury to me) and run it on cheap or free fuel that doesn't pollute much.
My previous truck was a 1990 Cummins that ran on 100% biodiesel for almost two years with no hoses or fuel lines swelling & leaking. There are three problems with biodiesel.

First problem with biodiesel is that it attacks natural rubber. A car from the mid '90s & after shouldn't have natural rubber fuel lines or seals. Second, biodiesel will clean out any crud in an older car's fuel tank & could plug up a fuel filter. I changed my fuel filters three times but the third filter was still clean. Third, biodiesel has a higher gel point, meaning precautions will be required during cold weather. Mild L.A. winters are no problems.

There are newer used diesel Volkswagon Jettas & a few Mercedes diesel cars available. Most diesels in America are in heavy duty trucks. I originally bought my first Cummins for the reason to keep the truck twenty years. The Cummins is a true commercial duty engine that can run for over a million miles. I heard the president of Ford say in the "Waste Equals Food" documentary say it took 64 tons of raw material to make one new car. That's why I tried to keep my truck 20 years, but unfortunately it was parked next to a car that caught fire and the truck was never the same afterwards. I hope to keep my new truck, purchased a few months ago, over twenty years.

Since America finally switched to ultra-low sulfur diesel, starting in 2007 diesels have clean-burning technology, making them as clean as a gasoline engine, with 20% to 40% greater fuel economy. Last year was the first year diesels outsold gasoline cars in Europe. Europe is way ahead of the U.S. in being green.

Due to the high costs of hybrids & the fact that real life fuel economy is nowhere near what is advertised, starting 2008/2009 at least six auto manufacturers are betting that fuel efficient, cleaner burning & cheaper diesels will leave hybrids in the dust.

Hey, feel free to PM me if you have any questions; same goes for anyone else!

I'm not a car guy, but here is a test drive of a BMW 335d that will be imported to the U.S. starting 2009. Clean diesels are coming. The comentator is a dork but watch the whole thing to the end where they look at the tail pipe. My 2007, 350 hp, 650 lbs of torque 6.7L diesel's tail pipe is cleaner than any Prius's. Think diesels are slow? Check out this turbo charged, direct injected, straight 6 Cummins. Of course, there's no soot collector on this drag truck.

Last edited by biodieselman; 10-14-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #250
biodieselman

Default Pond scum in LA?

That's right, pond scum is coming to L.A. I was refilling home brewing supplies with my buddies at Extreme Biodiesel. I've know these guys from their beginnings & have been asked to consult with them on piping and plumbing problems; I was recently asked to design a methanol vacuum recovery system for them. When I arrived they were all excited about their good fortune. They've been bought by a large investment group that is primarily concerned with developing 'green' technologies. The investment group has contracted with AlgeaLink to build an algae photo-bioreactor processing plant & is currently looking for a building site. Extreme Biodiesel will process the algae oil feedstock into biodiesel.

This is a photo of AlgaeLink's, (a Netherlands company), Demo/Test photo-bioreactor at the Biodiesel Expo 2007 in Nottingham, England. The production capacity is easily scaled up by simply adding more piping loops.

I asked if they were looking for investors, because I'm seriously thinking of putting my money where my mouth is. Tod & Bob winked at me, telling me they hadn't announced yet, but they were ready to go public. I've watched these guys grow, from a tiny garage-sized dive in December 2005 into a much larger facility they have already outgrown since moving into last year. Now they are going to be on the NY Stock Exchange!

'Clean diesel' cars from Europe & Japan will be in the showrooms starting 2009. My 2007 Dodge 6.7L Cummins exceeds the even more stringent diesel emissions standards that will take effect 2010. People disappointed with gasoline/hybrid's overstated fuel economy will start to realize that 'clean diesels' are cheaper to purchase, cheaper to operate, get better fuel economy & have more power.

The 'green' movement is growing. Many American citizens desire to be greener & are wanting affordable alternative fuel, but aren't willing to sacrifice on size, performance & comfort in a automobile. Enter 'oilgae', algae/biodiesel. As petroleum dino-fuel gets more expensive and the public demands cheaper, cleaner fuels, I hope to be a participant in fulfilling that economic market. Wouldn't hurt to make some money for a change.

Greening the environment, reducing funding for terrorism & reducing Big Oil's profits... what's not to like!