Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 06-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #176
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default A great list of links, BDMan . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodieselman View Post
Not quite sure what to think of that photo Ho Ho Tai. Where's the female posteriors? I don't even want to speculate what that man rode through to cause that yellow stripe up his spine. But it was all for a good cause.

Thought I would post these links from the June 11th, Newsweek 'Environment' section.

1. rateitgreen "...helping consumers and businesses find ecofriendly building materials and services..."

2. thegreenoffice "...Ideas include buying ecofriendly office supplies...asking your company to buy carbon offsets for corporate travel and pushing for more opportunities to work from home..."

3. treehugger Come on you guys , there's more here than just another biodiesel site.

4. usgbc "...a group of people in each field who are working to make their profession more green...which describes its certification course and lists other helpful resources..."

5. ecotourism Self explanatory.

6. idealist "...lists jobs and volunteer opportunities with a wide variety of socially responsible organizations..."

7. cerc.columbia "...Columbia University's certificate program in conservation biology..."

8. environment.yale "...earn a master's in forestry from Yale..."
Can't comment on the yellow stripe, nor on the absence of feminine derrieres. Actually, I did cheat a bit on that picture. I couldn't find a good one directly connected with the article. Most were taken at night, with low resolution and detail. I found this one to illustrate the point.

A good list of links, which I will forward to those on my list who have an interest in such things. I am familiar with some of them, but not many.

I add this link, which I received unsolicited today. The lead article is on carbon ranching. I think that Mr. Hurowitz' ideas make sense. I have seen similar before. The title of the website does seem to be an oxymoron, though.

I may copy you on my reply to him, using the on-board e-mail channel.

"The greatest wisdom: Love and Laughter, Inter-twined."
Ho Ho Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:50 PM   #177
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default You got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagimawr View Post
So, humanity's last throes, or yours, whichever comes first, eh? enjoy!
You got it!

Old 06-16-2007, 11:37 PM   #178
Lady at Large

Lady at Large has super-sized repLady at Large has super-sized repLady at Large has super-sized repLady at Large has super-sized repLady at Large has super-sized rep

I saw those bike riders on the news the other night and I meant to be impressed with their determination to make a difference...but sadly all I thought of was the safety issues involved in riding nude...*sigh*

It's always fun and games until someone falls off and gets road rash on their yo-woo!

But yes, as was mentioned, it was for a good cause!
Lady at Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #179
biodieselman

biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!

Yet another example of our federal government's failure to do their damn job & address the concerns of the people who elected them to office. Cities, states & individuals are taking action to improve our environment, but congress is too busy representing their big money corporations to take care of the concerns of the majority of Americans, one of which is global warming & the environment.

Gov.'s climate change speech is a hit
By Jia-Rui Chong, Times Staff Writer
June 24, 2007

Gov. Arnold ...encouraged local governments to take the lead in combating climate change.

"I was so happy and so delighted when I found out that you've made climate change No. 1..."

...praised Mayor Michael Bloomberg's initiative to replace New York's fleet of gasoline-powered taxicabs with hybrids and Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa's bid to reduce the Department of Water and Power's reliance on coal-burning power plants for energy.

Hundreds of mayors also have signed a U.S. Mayors Climate Protection Agreement calling on cities to meet or beat targets set in the 1997 Kyoto Protocol, an international plan to reduce greenhouse gases.

"Just like you mayors are doing, we are applying leverage so that at some point the whole environmental thing will tip," Schwarzenegger said. "We are not waiting for Washington."

The governor touted the law passed last year mandating a 25% cut in California's greenhouse gas emissions by 2020 and his executive order requiring car and trucks to reduce carbon emissions in their exhaust 10% in the same time frame...

The ballroom was filled with almost all of the approximately 1,000 mayors and other city officials attending the U.S. Conference of Mayors' annual meeting.

"He is on target," said Larry Nelson, mayor of Yuma, Ariz. Like other cities that draw their water from the Colorado River, Yuma is worried that global warming could mean more droughts and could diminish its water supply, he said.

He proudly described Yuma's project to remove water-hogging nonnative tamarisk trees from the riverbank as a way that cities could contribute.

"I agree" with the governor," said Patricia Christensen, mayor of Port St. Lucie, Fla. "Washington is taking too long. It really is up to cities and towns to lower fuel emissions."

Her city is building an environmentally friendly East Coast home for La Jolla's Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies. The building will feature heating and air-conditioning systems with top efficiency ratings, furniture made from recycled materials and a roof covered in living grass to help with drainage by absorbing the water, she said.

"I'd rather do something now than wait for the feds to give us unfunded mandates," she said.

It's commendable that cities, states & responsible individual citizens are doing something about global warming, but to really be effective our own federal government & all other nations need to accept responsibility. We need to press our representatives to do the right thing.

Why am I telling you guys this? I'm preaching to the choir here.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:42 AM   #180
Ho Ho Tai

Default re: "Why am I telling you guys this? I'm preaching to the choir here"

Quote:
Why am I telling you guys this? I'm preaching to the choir here.
"Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
Hallelujah!Hallelujah!
Halllllll-leeeeeee-luuuuuuuuu-jaaaaaaaah!"

The Choir

Old 06-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #181
biodieselman

biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho Ho Tai View Post
"Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
Hallelujah!Hallelujah!
Halllllll-leeeeeee-luuuuuuuuu-jaaaaaaaah!"

The Choir
This video about global warming is for you Ho Ho.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:19 AM   #182
QuasimodoQT
Shy viking

QuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticed
Default Green thread, hooray!

I so rarely venture into Hyde Park, but this thread was worth it!

My husband wasn't raised in a "green state" like I was, so sometimes it's a bit like running up the down escalator around here, but he's really starting to try. Here's what the household policies are:

-we have the compact flourescents in about 75% of our lights, all of our often-used ones.
-we only have hand-crank flashlights and a hand-crank paper shredder, and we have a hand crank radio/cell charger anda solar shower, though those are for the emergency kit.
-we live in a big city, so we don't own a car, just mass transit, bicycles, and our trusty feet. Actually, we are planning to use zipcar if we really need to at any point to avoid a car purchase.
-we have cloth grocery bags, and when those aren't with us, we reuse all of our plastic bags for trash and bringing in again for fruit, etc.
-we do not dry clean.
-we cold water wash, and hang dry the easier items.
-we buy locally grown when possible.
-we don't ask for printed receipts at ATMs.
-we selected a green poer provider option through our utility.
-we recycle.
-we use biofriendly cleaning products whenever possible, most often Shaklee or Method.
-we mostly use an orange oil product as a pesticide
-we buy Energy Star. That doesn't mean that we're not still using appliances that aren't so efficient that were purchased before my advent, though.
-we set our TVs on more energy efficient settings. We don't really notice the difference enough to warrant the blinding brightness.
-we buy the less-packaged items whenever there is a choice. This includes soda (2-liter bottles only).
-we don't buy bottled water at all- we use tap + Brita.
-we use less water, turning off taps when brushing teeth, only using shower, not baths, I have a spray bottle I use to soak dishes with instead of running water, we have weights in our toilet tank, no dishwasher.
-we make epayments and ask for estatements whenever practical. I really only want my bank statements, as I need them anyway for taxes, and there's a fee for back statements.
-we keep the blinds closed when the sun is brightest in the rooms that have blinds. We need to have them on all windows, but we have really big ones, and sliding glass doors and whatnot, and as a renter, purchasing custom blinds has not been feasible yet.
-we use smart power strips on computer systems that can tell when you are active and power down peripherals when you aren't.
-when I did own a car, I tried to pick the least egregious of the multinational corporations/gas stations (Chevron at that time), didn't speed, and didn't keep heavy loads in my trunk longer than necessary.

That's all I can think of for now.

I saw a program on alternate energy sources in development. Wow. The wind farm of the coast of Holland, the solar collector in the Outback, and there's a project in the UK that is saying it can supply the energy needs for 1 person for 30 years using a bathtub of water, with no toxic byproducts... of course it will take about 30 years to develop.

And actually, there are tidal turbines going in several places, even right here in NYC! For the last two years, there has been one in the East River, supplying power to the Roosevelt Island Gristede's. That project is expanding.

And a building going up by Bryant Park that isn't just energy efficient, it will actually filter the air around it as well! I need to see that one again, I think it was on D-Health. It was on at 4 or 5 am, and I was starting to be sleepy. Note current posting time.

Finally, if you need instant motivation, here is a link to an amazing article. I had no idea about many of the issues raised here. I think it's as important to know about these things as An Inconvenient Truth.

http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/pu...c_are_we.shtml

Sorry for rambling a bit. Sleepy again, finally.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:21 AM   #183
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

Wow, QT! That's quite a list! Your post goes to show that living green within your own home is doable. Even if our government isn't make much of an effort to encourage green practices or go green themselves, I believe it's important for individuals to re-evaluate their lifestyles and incorporate green alternatives where practicable, as you obviously have.

We make an effort as well. One area that I'd like to take advantage of, and that would really make a difference is solar power. I guesstimate that, right now, it would cost around $20,000 to go solar in our So Cal home, and that's with current rebates. I'm hoping that there'll be more incentives at the federal and local levels to reduce that cost, and that the solar equipment manufacturers will reach the point where they're selling enough to bring the costs of manufacturing down. I also read about new, smaller, and better solar technology is in the works; hope it's not too expensive. I'd love to have a solar-powered home. It's something that every So Cal home should be taking advantage of, the energy of the sun.

Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #184
Jane
Photo (c) Fatlane

Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuasimodoQT View Post
I so rarely venture into Hyde Park, but this thread was worth it!

My husband wasn't raised in a "green state" like I was, so sometimes it's a bit like running up the down escalator around here, but he's really starting to try. Here's what the household policies are:

-we have the compact flourescents in about 75% of our lights, all of our often-used ones.
-we only have hand-crank flashlights and a hand-crank paper shredder, and we have a hand crank radio/cell charger anda solar shower, though those are for the emergency kit.
-we live in a big city, so we don't own a car, just mass transit, bicycles, and our trusty feet. Actually, we are planning to use zipcar if we really need to at any point to avoid a car purchase.
-we have cloth grocery bags, and when those aren't with us, we reuse all of our plastic bags for trash and bringing in again for fruit, etc.
-we do not dry clean.
-we cold water wash, and hang dry the easier items.
-we buy locally grown when possible.
-we don't ask for printed receipts at ATMs.
-we selected a green poer provider option through our utility.
-we recycle.
-we use biofriendly cleaning products whenever possible, most often Shaklee or Method.
-we mostly use an orange oil product as a pesticide
-we buy Energy Star. That doesn't mean that we're not still using appliances that aren't so efficient that were purchased before my advent, though.
-we set our TVs on more energy efficient settings. We don't really notice the difference enough to warrant the blinding brightness.
-we buy the less-packaged items whenever there is a choice. This includes soda (2-liter bottles only).
-we don't buy bottled water at all- we use tap + Brita.
-we use less water, turning off taps when brushing teeth, only using shower, not baths, I have a spray bottle I use to soak dishes with instead of running water, we have weights in our toilet tank, no dishwasher.
-we make epayments and ask for estatements whenever practical. I really only want my bank statements, as I need them anyway for taxes, and there's a fee for back statements.
-we keep the blinds closed when the sun is brightest in the rooms that have blinds. We need to have them on all windows, but we have really big ones, and sliding glass doors and whatnot, and as a renter, purchasing custom blinds has not been feasible yet.
-we use smart power strips on computer systems that can tell when you are active and power down peripherals when you aren't.
-when I did own a car, I tried to pick the least egregious of the multinational corporations/gas stations (Chevron at that time), didn't speed, and didn't keep heavy loads in my trunk longer than necessary.

That's all I can think of for now.

I saw a program on alternate energy sources in development. Wow. The wind farm of the coast of Holland, the solar collector in the Outback, and there's a project in the UK that is saying it can supply the energy needs for 1 person for 30 years using a bathtub of water, with no toxic byproducts... of course it will take about 30 years to develop.

And actually, there are tidal turbines going in several places, even right here in NYC! For the last two years, there has been one in the East River, supplying power to the Roosevelt Island Gristede's. That project is expanding.

And a building going up by Bryant Park that isn't just energy efficient, it will actually filter the air around it as well! I need to see that one again, I think it was on D-Health. It was on at 4 or 5 am, and I was starting to be sleepy. Note current posting time.

Finally, if you need instant motivation, here is a link to an amazing article. I had no idea about many of the issues raised here. I think it's as important to know about these things as An Inconvenient Truth.

http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/pu...c_are_we.shtml

Sorry for rambling a bit. Sleepy again, finally.
Save the 2-liter bottles for your friends who garden. I use them as early-spring hot houses for getting plants to grow while the air is still a little nippy. They work to extend the season both in Spring and Fall.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #185
QuasimodoQT
Shy viking

QuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
Save the 2-liter bottles for your friends who garden. I use them as early-spring hot houses for getting plants to grow while the air is still a little nippy. They work to extend the season both in Spring and Fall.
I'm in a 28 story bldg in Manhattan, and I don't know any gardeners locally, but if I did, I would certainly do that, good idea! I save a few for "emergency purposes" ie: to fill with water immediately if anything horrible went down, a few more to use with plant spikes (they autowater from the 2-liter when you're gone), and the rest I recycle, they're a pain, but until we have the corn plastic, probably my best choice. I simply can't live without diet cola. I keep trying, but the siren song calls, calls, calls to me.

Actually, I'm a bit on the fence about corn plastic/fuel. Corn prices have soared, and that's cattle feed, so meat and dairy have soared. And as more corn is needed, more fertilizer. Back to the petroeum loop. Of course, I can sit and be skeptical, but do I offer another idea? Nope.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #186
Jane
Photo (c) Fatlane

Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
I'm in a 28 story bldg in Manhattan, and I don't know any gardeners locally, but if I did, I would certainly do that, good idea! I save a few for "emergency purposes" ie: to fill with water immediately if anything horrible went down, a few more to use with plant spikes (they autowater from the 2-liter when you're gone), and the rest I recycle, they're a pain, but until we have the corn plastic, probably my best choice. I simply can't live without diet cola. I keep trying, but the siren song calls, calls, calls to me.

Actually, I'm a bit on the fence about corn plastic/fuel. Corn prices have soared, and that's cattle feed, so meat and dairy have soared. And as more corn is needed, more fertilizer. Back to the petroeum loop. Of course, I can sit and be skeptical, but do I offer another idea? Nope.
It's all on speculation. Trust me, here in corn country, I don't hear the farmers crowing.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #187
biodieselman

Quote:
...Actually, I'm a bit on the fence about corn plastic/fuel.
I'm all for plastic from vegetable oil. There is a relatively new materials concept coined "Waste Equals Food". Following is a brief description. Michael Braungart is my hero!

"...Cradle to Cradle Design is a new strategy for business growth and prosperity that generates ecological, social, and economic value. It represents a fundamental conceptual shift away from the flawed system design of the Industrial Revolution, not just a damage management strategy.

Background

In response to widespread environmental degradation, many industries have adopted a strategy known as "eco-efficiency"-minimizing waste, pollution, and natural resource depletion. But eco-efficiency is not a strategy for long-term success. It seeks to make the current, destructive system sustainable.

Minimizing toxic pollution and the waste of natural resources are not strategies for real change. Designing industrial processes so they do not generate toxic pollution and "waste" in the first place is true change. Long-term prosperity depends not on the efficiency of a fundamentally destructive system, but on the effectiveness of processes designed to be healthy and renewable in the first place.

Cradle to Cradle Design's strategy of eco-effectiveness is rooted in the systems of the natural world, which are not efficient at all, but effective. Consider the cherry tree. Each spring it makes thousands of blossoms, which then fall in piles to the ground-not very efficient. But the fallen blossoms become food for other living things. The tree's abundance of blossoms is both safe and useful, contributing to the health of a thriving, interdependent system. And the tree spreads multiple positive effects-making oxygen, transpiring water, creating habitat, and more. And it is beautiful!

Eco-effectiveness seeks to design industrial systems that emulate the healthy abundance of nature. The central design principle of eco-effectiveness is waste equals food..."

Quote:
Corn prices have soared, and that's cattle feed, so meat and dairy have soared. And as more corn is needed, more fertilizer. Back to the petroeum loop. Of course, I can sit and be skeptical, but do I offer another idea? Nope.
I'm all for any alternative energy sources that gets us off oil & completely out of the Middle East. IMO it is the height of ignorance to fund both sides of the war. First, throwing billions of dollars at governments that fund jihadists. Secondly, paying billions in taxes for military actions when trying to fight elusive terrorists that hide amongst women & children when confronted.

However, ethanol has serious problems. You all know I believe algae/biodiesel makes the most practical sense.

1. Ethanol evaporates readily, is itself a Volatile Organic Compound & is a greenhouse gas. Biodiesel has no VOCs, making no greenhouse gas.

2. Ethanol production fouls 12 gal of good drinking water per gal of ethanol. Algae/biodiesel feeds off sewage fouled water, aiding water treatment efforts.

3. Ethanol gets 30% less fuel economy than gasoline. Biodiesel gets 30% greater fuel economy than gasoline.

4. Ethanol isn't greenhouse gas neutral. Corn needs fertilizer, requires lots of energy to produce & doesn't totally eliminate the use of gasoline. Biodiesel from soy beans is 100% carbon neutral. Biodiesel from algae actually removes CO2 from the atmosphere, reducing global warming.

5. Automobiles must be modified to burn 85% ethanol/15% gasoline. 100% biodiesel can already be used with current diesel engines without any modifications. Eliminates the 'chicken or the egg' arguments.

6. Ethanol is more expensive than gasoline. Algae/biodiesel is projected to cost less than what we pay for gasoline today.

Mark my words, diesel power is the future. Audi is beating everything with a diesel powered car & all the other engine manufacturers are scrambling to catch up. Check out the cool sound of the TDI future. Can you say Turbo Direct Injection?

Last edited by biodieselman; 07-08-2007 at 01:57 PM.
biodieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #188
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Was watching "Who Killed the Electric Car?" last night. Hope biodiesel doesn't go the way of the electric car. Damned oil and car manufacturing companies.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #189
biodieselman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina View Post
Was watching "Who Killed the Electric Car?" last night. Hope biodiesel doesn't go the way of the electric car. Damned oil and car manufacturing companies.
I wouldn't write off electric cars just yet. There are many new electric vehicles ready to hit the market. I have recently changed my opinion of electric cars. Electric cars have range problems but most of us only drive less than 80 miles a day. For short commutes they make practical sense only if they are charged during off peak energy demand times.

I subscribe to 'Biodiesel Magazine', an industry publication for commercial biodiesel producers. Countries all around the world are throwing up new biodiesel plants. I don't support agri/biodiesel because I believe it's a mistake to divert acreage away from food production, increasing the cost of many products, not just the price of my corn tortillas. Several of these new biodiesel facilities utilize algae as feedstock with millions of dollars going into research to improve algae/biodiesel production techniques.

Alternative energy is coming!

Alternative energy is coming!
Old 07-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #190
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I don't support agri/biodiesel because I believe it's a mistake to divert acreage away from food production, increasing the cost of many products, not just the price of my corn tortillas.
I agree! We're losing enough agricultural land to development as it is. My concern isn't just price, but the need to import when we hand over production to other countries, as has happened with steel production, electronics production, automobile production, et al. We end up screwing ourselves over, in so many ways.

Lately, just one of those ways has become very apparent in the manifestation of poison products coming out of China. Not even to mention the loss of jobs that pay actual living wages, and cities that have become ghost towns because of the loss of our manufacturing base.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Old 07-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #191
Tina
Older and wiser now

Exactly, Missa. So much land has been taken over by wind production -- it's crazy. Who the hell needs that much wine? There are so many labels that it's dizzying when trying to pick something out. Not only that, but more often than not, I end up seeing a lot of them in the bargain bin, simply because, IMO, there are too many out there. The whole supply and demand thing is way out of balance there.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #192
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
I agree! We're losing enough agricultural land to development as it is. My concern isn't just price, but the need to import when we hand over production to other countries, as has happened with steel production, electronics production, automobile production, et al. We end up screwing ourselves over, in so many ways.

Lately, just one of those ways has become very apparent in the manifestation of poison products coming out of China. Not even to mention the loss of jobs that pay actual living wages, and cities that have become ghost towns because of the loss of our manufacturing base.
Excellent points, T, not to mention that we're virtually supporting the sub-human living conditions and criminally low wages of laborers in countries like China.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #193
Tina
Older and wiser now

Bingo. It has such far-reaching consequences. Another being the WalMart-ization of cities all over the world, where small business owners have been run out of town because they cannot afford to operate. It's all of a piece and all interrelated, and it all sucks.

We have been sold down the river by our various politicians ever since there have been politicians.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #194
biodieselman

..................................Oh!...Sorry, were you ladies saying something?

All I could hear was the first 12 seconds of this video on a continuous loop.

Don't ask me to explain. It's a man thing.

Oh......yeah...yeah...I completely agree with all you beautiful ladies.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #195
Tina
Older and wiser now

Yeah, yeah, I read all about it a month ago or so. Something about some study made of how men can't hear certain frequencies well, and womens' voices just happen to fall within that range, blahyakettyblah.

(BTW, of course you do! Just because you can't hear us, that doesn't negate the fact that us women are usually correct! *pffffffffffft!*)

Old 07-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #196
James
vibeout

James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
hahaha... ahh... thats a classic.

that one's going to go round my office tomorrow.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #197
Risible
Monkey Daze

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, I read all about it a month ago or so. Something about some study made of how men can't hear certain frequencies well, and womens' voices just happen to fall within that range, blahyakettyblah.

(BTW, of course you do! Just because you can't hear us, that doesn't negate the fact that us women are usually correct! *pffffffffffft!*)
Off topic, but I've heard of this study also. My experience with men, i.e., working in a male-dominated industry supervising a group of men, and being married to a man, is that they Just Don't Listen. I don't know whether or not they can hear us, but I do know that they are very good at tuning women out!

Disclaimer to whosoever doesn't agree: Of course there are exceptions - besides, this is my experience, okay?

Old 07-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #198
Ho Ho Tai

Default Oh! How did I miss this?

Quote:
BDMan - I didn't catch your response until someone else did, replied, and it showed up in my e-mail repeater. That's wonderful. Something else with which I can afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #199
biodieselman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho Ho Tai View Post
...That's wonderful. Something else with which I can afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted.
When I first saw this kid imitating Dubya I almost fell out of my chair laughing. This kid is really funny! Glad you guys enjoyed it.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #200
stan_der_man
The Teflon Frog

Location: Born in The Mission, raised on Rt. 66, living in the Squirrel Ghetto, SoCal
stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
That was a funny video, the kid can really do Dubya's voice!

I noticed your's and Risible's sayings below your avatars about the recent heat... We had an unusual situation last week, the high clouds seemed to trap the heat all the way up to our elevation. On Thurs. and Fri. it was hotter up here (by about 3 degrees F...) than it was in Redlands. That doesn't happen very often. I'm glad things are finally cooling down a bit now!

Stan
stan_der_man is offline   Reply With Quote