Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Clothing/Fashion

Old 04-17-2013, 04:54 AM   #26
largenlovely
Still a Fat Girl lol

largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyarts View Post
" Oh cute...I'm gonna try sleeves soon. "

Sleeves can be a little bit tricky, with fitting and attaching them into the armhole. But once you get the hang of it, you can change the length, fullness, and style without needing a different pattern.

Tracy
That's what I'm hoping to eventually achieve lol. Right now, I've been doing everything the hard way and pinning it on me, trying it on, adjusting, pinning it, trying it on. I figure I'll eventually get to where I can do it all easy peasy if I keep practicing. This whole learning process has been a lot of fun for me though.
largenlovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #27
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

" Right now, I've been doing everything the hard way and pinning it on me, trying it on, adjusting, pinning it, trying it on. "

That's actually a good way to go.

One thing I do, is find a basic pattern I know I will use over and over again, and make it up in some cheap nonstretchy fabric that doesn't fray easily. In the fashion industry, it's called "making a muslin" because cheap muslin fabric works great. Once I've adjusted it to fit perfectly, I take it apart, and make notes on the fabric with a marker, and use the actual fabric pieces as a pattern. I can change up a lot of details by just laying the cloth pattern out on the garment fabric and making adjustment marks with chalk and rulers. Another plus is that fabric patterns grip a bit and don't slide around like paper patterns, and don't need much pinning. And they last forever, no worries about tearing fragile tissue paper.

Tracy
Old 04-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #28
largenlovely
Still a Fat Girl lol

largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
" Right now, I've been doing everything the hard way and pinning it on me, trying it on, adjusting, pinning it, trying it on. "

That's actually a good way to go.

One thing I do, is find a basic pattern I know I will use over and over again, and make it up in some cheap nonstretchy fabric that doesn't fray easily. In the fashion industry, it's called "making a muslin" because cheap muslin fabric works great. Once I've adjusted it to fit perfectly, I take it apart, and make notes on the fabric with a marker, and use the actual fabric pieces as a pattern. I can change up a lot of details by just laying the cloth pattern out on the garment fabric and making adjustment marks with chalk and rulers. Another plus is that fabric patterns grip a bit and don't slide around like paper patterns, and don't need much pinning. And they last forever, no tearing fragile tissue paper.

Tracy
I have thought about that for a minute myself lol. Well, I made mine more complicated and figured I would have to draw it and then cut it out of tissue paper. I will totally do that thank u

I've got this fabric here that I've been meaning to do something with. I have a tank top that I love but it's getting old. I think I'm gonna deconstruct it and make a new one with this other fabric based on the shirt pieces. We'll see how it goes lol
Old 04-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #29
dharmabean
♥ ɢrтıтuɗɛ◦ɢӏ ♥

dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

This is a lovely thread..

But pics...

Or the clothing didn't happen.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #30
largenlovely
Still a Fat Girl lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabean View Post
This is a lovely thread..

But pics...

Or the clothing didn't happen.
Lol I agree

Here's a tutu I made for my niece yesterday. The lace part is actually from an old lacey curtain that I've been looking for a way to use. I cut off the bottom lacey part and sewed it into the waist.

I'm sewing up a tank top today that I can wear tomorrow night for band practice. So I will post a pic tomorrow

PicsArt_1366575838074.jpg
Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #31
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I plan on going through my box of fabric as soon as I feel better. I want to make some sun dresses since it's heating up. (Hurt my back and am incapacitated at the mo.)
Old 04-29-2013, 01:07 AM   #32
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

Knitted, not sewn.

I bought this pom-pom yarn on impulse at Michaels, since it was on clearance and I loved the colors. I wanted to use it to make a simple scarf, and it worked up really easily and quickly.

It looks awesome with this coral colored top and denim jacket. I've got jeans that are a close enough match to the jacket to pull the whole thing together. Hopefully the cool front that's supposed to be coming through towards the end of the week makes it here, because I want a chance to wear it before next Fall.

Tracy
Old 04-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #33
dharmabean
♥ ɢrтıтuɗɛ◦ɢӏ ♥

dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!dharmabean has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

[QUOTE=Tracyarts;1976680]Knitted, not sewn.

OMG I totally adore this!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #34
largenlovely
Still a Fat Girl lol

Quote:
Knitted, not sewn.

Tracy
I so love this!!
Old 05-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #35
katherine22

katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I love seeing this wonderful sewing. I just made a silk tunic. If you want to learn to sew get the Reader's Digest sewing book, the best sewing book particularly in learning pattern alteration. I may be fat but I am wearing good fabric.

Queen Elizabeth I residing within.

If I continue to eat I will grow as big as a room.
"What are rooms for?":bow:

Last edited by katherine22; 05-04-2013 at 11:46 PM.
katherine22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #36
largenlovely
Still a Fat Girl lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by katherine22 View Post
I love seeing this wonderful sewing. I just made a silk tunic. If you want to learn to sew get the Reader's Digest sewing book, the best sewing book particularly in learning pattern alteration. I may be fat but I am wearing good fabric.
Please post pics when u can I've been working on fabric size alterations here and there. It's a little difficult but I will look for that book at the library. It seems like I may have seen it.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #37
largenlovely
Still a Fat Girl lol

I had planned to have my new shirt done a lot sooner but I stopped it for a while. I just have a hem left to do on the front of the shirt and I will be finished. I'm gonna do that today. I want to wear it with a certain pair of jeans but I busted the zipper out on those jeans so I'm gonna try to put in a new one *fingers crossed* lol. I've never done a zipper before. I'm hoping I can have it done before band practice Monday night so I can wear it there. I will take pics if I do
Old 06-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #38
Tracyarts

Crocheted circle vest, 75% complete.

It's being worn in the photo by a size 22/24 who is about 5" shorter than me. So I still have a little bit more work to do before it's big and long enough to fit me the same way. I'll post more photos when I finish it, I was just excited about how well it's coming out! It's super simple to make; if you can make a double crochet hat or round coaster, you can make this vest.

I used this pattern: http://www.crochetspot.com/crochet-p...-vest-9-sizes/ The pattern is sized to a 5X (62" bust) and I made a couple very minor modifications for fit and length. If you wanted, you could pick up stitches around the armholes and crochet tubes for sleeves. But I'm keeping this one as a vest.

Tracy
Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #39
dharmabean
♥ ɢrтıтuɗɛ◦ɢӏ ♥

Quote:

Tracy
WAY COOL! love the colors.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #40
Paul

Paul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I just finished sew a Jumper for my wife. I used the Simplicity pattern 2155. Here is the picture of the dress from the Simplicity web page.

The largest size the pattern came in was a size 24W. I had to increase the size to a 30W/32W. Since my wife is 6' 2" I also had to increase the height of the jumper. Here are some pictures I took today of the finished dress.

I'm a Canadian.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #41
Tracyarts

I finally finished my big fuzzy purple sweater tunic. I had completed all of the knitted pieces a while back, but procrastinated the assembly & finishing process.

I've got a second one I hope to assemble and finish over the weekend.

Tracy
Old 12-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #42
azerty
Life is worth living

azerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions communityazerty is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Congratulations and very nice color.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #43
supersizebbw
Who run the world..Girls!

supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Resurrecting this thread...some really beautiful clothing items made!

I recently bought a sewing machine and have started making some simple tops, skirts etc I hope to post soon. I seem to start alot of things and not finish, sigh!

Would love to get more ideas of plus size clothes I can make from this thread.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:13 AM   #44
prplecat

prplecat does more than just post hot picsprplecat does more than just post hot picsprplecat does more than just post hot picsprplecat does more than just post hot pics

I haven't sewed anything since last year's carpal and cubital tunnel surgery. *sob* There is a great blog that I read occasionally, though. The author is totally addicted to sewing, makes all her own clothes, and is plus-size. Not a SSBBW, but she sometimes shows her alterations process. That helps a LOT if you're not used to doing it.

http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/
prplecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #45
supersizebbw

supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!supersizebbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

@prplecat: thanks alot for the blog link, i really loved all the dresses she's made!
Old 09-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #46
supersizebbw

Here is a sample picture of a top and circle skirt that I made, was really excited to try out the applique on the top.

*please excuse the poor picture quality and clutter in the background, will try take some better pics tomorrow *
Old 09-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #47
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Cute! .......
Old 09-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #48
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I just finished sew a Jumper for my wife. I used the Simplicity pattern 2155. Here is the picture of the dress from the Simplicity web page.

The largest size the pattern came in was a size 24W. I had to increase the size to a 30W/32W. Since my wife is 6' 2" I also had to increase the height of the jumper. Here are some pictures I took today of the finished dress.

you did a wonderful job! she looks great!
luvmybhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #49
Paul

Paul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPaul is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybhm View Post
you did a wonderful job! she looks great!
Thanks.......

I'm a Canadian.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #50
FionaForemost

FionaForemost does more than just post hot picsFionaForemost does more than just post hot picsFionaForemost does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersizebbw View Post
Here is a sample picture of a top and circle skirt that I made, was really excited to try out the applique on the top.

*please excuse the poor picture quality and clutter in the background, will try take some better pics tomorrow *
They look great!! I sometimes sew but I end up getting so overwhelmed by all the possibilities that I end up not doing much other than admire others work and wonder if I could do it. heh. The top is very cute, good job with the applique and can't wait to see the other pics!
FionaForemost is offline   Reply With Quote