Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 08-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #326
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
I put up with ten minutes of him and had to stop, because I was just getting too infuriated.
Oh but did you put up with 10 minutes or did you get distracted after 10 minutes??
Old 08-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #327
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca23v2 View Post
Not sure about that. I know language changes and it has to "update" but seriously, t.h.o.t. and bae.. give me a break is it really that difficult to add another b to bae and make the word correct?. I get why you need to shorten some words.. but when it is used as common language where kids think it is correct and not a shortened or compounded.. then there is a problem.

Where are the vocabulary lessons.. where you had to write the word 50 tines and write it's meaning 50 tines so that you fully understood what the word means and how it is used? Kids these days have no idea the meaning of words. They use them but don't really grasp their full meaning. I think we need to go back to the old way of teaching. It seemed that kids were further ahead in studies when we had music.. art.. history...vocabulary.. etc.. JMO

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I agree with this. I would say that kids probably do do more reading overall, but the type they're exposed to can be detrimental if they can't draw boundaries between more formal writing and casual/internet/text writing. It's not ALWAYS detrimental; I'm just saying that the possibility is there. There's certainly benefits to more exposure to reading as well.

I did my undergrad at a huge state school and ended up TAing for an introductory philosophy class. Some people just could not manage to write a fully professional essay; their grammar wasn't proper and they even sometimes used things that you should only find in a text. Email correspondence could be even worse. I'm not saying that this is all to blame on the type of material they've primarily been exposed to. Throughout history, there's always been people who can't manage to craft a decent essay for some reason or another. But the influence can be seen.

I do agree that there's plenty of benefits to having such a wide range of information and entertainment available immediately (internet/on-demand, video games, etc)...but I think a few lines need to be drawn, especially when someone is growing up with it.

ETA: If anyone tries to argue that text-speak and extremely truncated forms of communication are the way of the future and will eventually replace the current system (professionally, in academia, literature, etc) just realize that I'll probably go hide under my bed for a few hours and maybe cry. Feel free to argue it. Just know that that will probably happen.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:50 AM   #328
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthine View Post
Some people just could not manage to write a fully professional essay; their grammar wasn't proper and they even sometimes used things that you should only find in a text.
To be fair I went to college back just as the internet was first really moving beyond AOL chat rooms and was really not used much at all. No texting at the time either. Some people submitted writing on that level. My brother went to school 4 years before I did, no internet at all at the time and he used to bring home photocopies of examples of writing a 3rd grader would be ashamed of. My brother went to the same school as you, I went to similar state universities.

I can also add that I once submitted writing that was pretty much unintelligible in college. I guess that might not actually be surprising for me. It was pretty terrible, I had been up all night doing um.. chemistry research and threw something together for the deadline in my afternoon class in the morning.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:45 AM   #329
MsBrightside

MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
...ETA: If anyone tries to argue that text-speak and extremely truncated forms of communication are the way of the future and will eventually replace the current system (professionally, in academia, literature, etc) just realize that I'll probably go hide under my bed for a few hours and maybe cry. Feel free to argue it. Just know that that will probably happen.
Is there room for me under there?

I agree completely with the idea that students today are no less intelligent than in the past and are perhaps even more so. Certainly they're better informed in many ways. However, I do think it would be sad if language styles were to change to the point that some of them may not even be capable of reading and fully comprehending great literature, histories, or philosophical and scientific works of the past. I also agree with the lecturer that reading those sorts of things may be stimulating to the intellect in a different way than many modern works. Anything that stretches our brains and makes us think is probably a good thing.
MsBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #330
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankyguy View Post
You may be interested in this TEDx talk.
I finally got around to watching this talk. I didn't dislike it as much as Tad, though I might be biased because of his use of the term "passion bannisters." I think a lot of Tad's first impression was correct; he's putting a lot of "data" out there without context. Transforming science into something popular, exciting, and memorable...which means really altering the context in which those "facts" are interpreted. Some TED talks are very interesting...but I don't think this is a problem exclusive to this talk; it's a risk inherent in the entire concept of trying to communicate research in a way that people will find engaging.

But at the same time, even if his statistics and their application might be questionable, there were some intriguing points. For one, the idea that the entertainment industry can take advantage of human reward circuits as we gain greater psychological knowledge and greater technology. There's so many video games (and other things, but this comes to mind most strongly) that put a direct target on our reward systems. They set up goals with increasing difficulty and reward - something that can stimulate our dopaminergic pathways much more easily than doing something that requires more labor and hassle.

I mean, I love video games. I feel like I experience this myself. Sure I could be studying or working on an essay a few weeks in advance so I feel accomplished when I do well. But I could also sit here and press this button 1000 times because there's a 2x gold multiplier and I can't NOT take advantage of it. And even as I sit there, contemplating the absurdity of feeling like I need to accumulate vast amounts of 100% useless game currency, I can't quite pull myself away...
Old 08-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #331
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:
But at the same time, even if his statistics and their application might be questionable, there were some intriguing points. For one, the idea that the entertainment industry can take advantage of human reward circuits as we gain greater psychological knowledge and greater technology. There's so many video games (and other things, but this comes to mind most strongly) that put a direct target on our reward systems. They set up goals with increasing difficulty and reward - something that can stimulate our dopaminergic pathways much more easily than doing something that requires more labor and hassle.

I mean, I love video games. I feel like I experience this myself. Sure I could be studying or working on an essay a few weeks in advance so I feel accomplished when I do well. But I could also sit here and press this button 1000 times because there's a 2x gold multiplier and I can't NOT take advantage of it. And even as I sit there, contemplating the absurdity of feeling like I need to accumulate vast amounts of 100% useless game currency, I can't quite pull myself away...
Evenings and weekends I work from home performing computer based pattern recognition analysis I get paid by the job. Basically I look at computer generated images and click and press buttons to classify them, every time I complete one I can bill XX dollars. I would often stop doing this to play video games. One day I realized essentially these are the exact same activity, I see a pixel pattern and I click the correct button for that pattern. Yet somehow when the pixels look like a dragon and the reward is an imaginary magic bracelet or something I find this same vigilance task and motor response more entertaining then when I get like money for it. Long story short, my brain sucks.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:20 PM   #332
tankyguy

tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
though I might be biased because of his use of the term "passion bannisters."
Please keep both hands on the passion banisters for your safety.
tankyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #333
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Trying to type this on my phone sucks, I hope it makes sense....

The whole appealing to people via commercials was developed relatively recently, but has been well studied and was actually a form of brainwashing and propaganda that has existed in a similar form since the world wars. The video game industries actually leverage what the gambling industries have known for a long time - how to click you in, keep you seated, and keep you paying. Playing on things like click bait and people's inability to be patient, as well as foundational concepts like playing as a form of self fulfillment.

Personally, that talk irritated the crap out of me. His tonal inflection was very sermonistic and set my teeth on edge, but the information was also bankrupt with no actual facts and extensive wiredrawing in order to hold up his points. 'In the past' - care to quote us a date? Are we talking twenty years ago? The potato famine type past? Or the past where Americans were dying of scurvy? Americans have only eaten 'well' for an incredibly short period of time on the historical level.

In terms of his 'main' point - basic education has always been a method of preparing you to be the minimum required to be functioning citizens. For many years, rote memorization fulfilled that need for more basic and factory jobs. I don't necessarily think that sort of formal, staid, and rote teaching styles work best in many industries and jobs today. That's why the focus has become more teaching you how to learn, as opposed to teaching you a basic skill 100%. If you look at the technology field, programming languages sunset (a business term I will go into below) at about 3-5 years. Programmers need to be able to literally pick up and learn a whole new language every few years in order to stay employed. Rote memorization of C+ only gets them programming in C+ ...and they don't have the time to go back to school for years to learn a language that will be dead by the time they are out of school. So I think memorization has its place, but it has to be within the context of the subject and situation.

In terms of acronyms...Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who loves reading and writing, so laziness deserves to be slapped. Upside the head. Preferably with a nice heavy wooden board. It hurts me almost physically when people say I use too many big words. (Oh, I am sowwy. Do I need to dumb myself down to youw grade 3 weading level?). If you use short forms because you can't spell the word or are too lazy I get irritated. Of if you truncate to the point your entire meaning is lost.

But on the other hand, very formal and rigid writing styles no longer match the way we speak or communicate. Which can actually dull the message or cause confusion and anger. The English language is particularly prone to this because we have so many words that sound the same but are used differently, or are only used in a certain way. Just the other day I was explaining to one of our French speakers that 'incapable' in English DID mean you can't do something, but in the context of how we use it, it means that you SUCK. It has a very negative connotation.

I also work in a relatively technical industry that is, to put it bluntly, made up of acronyms and corporate slang. This makes me far more frustrated than if someone says "Goodbye" instead of God Be With Ye, or "OK" instead of "Okay" - because keep in mind that at some point, those short forms became normal. So if someone says "Thx' they are forgiven. If say "Cn u prpr a deck 4 tmrws mting? Tx" not so much forgiveness.

TLDR:
People who can spell are cool, even if they choose to use shorthand. People who cannot, annoy me.

Ultimately, I think that the intelligent and discerning will always avoid bad information, regardless of the accessibility of poor information. And I think the uninformed and stupid will always suck in bad information at the same rate. 80/20 rule of information doesn't necessarily change because it changed to 800/200 or even 8000/2000, as long as you have the education and intelligence to sort through the junk.

It's important to teach people how propaganda, click bait, and the human mind works so that they can avoid...or choose to fall into the traps laid for them. (Like minecraft...One more block...one more block...one more block...)
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #334
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankyguy View Post
Please keep both hands on the passion banisters for your safety.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #335
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

On a different topic that will probably annoy some people: http://www.salon.com/1999/06/15/brin_main/

(an old article, but it came to mind recently)
Old 08-18-2015, 02:49 PM   #336
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
On a different topic that will probably annoy some people: http://www.salon.com/1999/06/15/brin_main/

(an old article, but it came to mind recently)
Quote:
By contrast, the oppressed “rebels” in “Star Wars” have no recourse in law or markets or science or democracy. They can only choose sides in a civil war between two wings of the same genetically superior royal family.
I question the premise because it is not as if it is ever suggested that Luke Skywalker was looking to take over as an emperor replacement. Nor was as suggested was Darth Vader Hitler, the Emperor was.

Quote:
Lucas wants us to gush with warm feelings toward a cute blond little boy who will later grow up to murder the population of Earth many times over?
Well I and in fact most people hated Anakin both as the seven year old and as the angst-ridden bitchy teen.
Yeah, fuck Anakin.

Quote:
Who the heck nominated George Lucas to preach sick, popcorn morality at our children? If it’s “only a movie,” why is he working so hard to fill his films with this crap?
Pseudo-philosophical bullshit adds the feeling of depth. I wasn't just watching Ted "Theodore" Logan Kung-Fu fight Elrond. No. I was watching Ted fight Elrond while they talked about purpose and shit.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #337
Wanderer
Actor at Extra-Large

Wanderer does more than just post hot picsWanderer does more than just post hot picsWanderer does more than just post hot picsWanderer does more than just post hot pics

To be fair, Vader does find redemption at the very end. Redemption that means more when you see what he started as, rather than just how he ended up. If only it wasn't Lucas writing it...
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:23 PM   #338
MrSensible
Welcome to Moonside.

MrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging in

I was taking another study break, listening to a little metal, and a thought occurred: I've never shared the Puritania/Do the Evolution mashup video I put together years ago. (At least I don't think I have?)

Disclaimer: This video contains considerable amounts of "symphonic black metal" that may not be suitable for some viewers. It's admittedly pretty dark.

A little background: I was bored one day and a friend had just introduced me to a black metal band called Dimmu Borgir. Although the style isn't typically my cup of tea, I listened to the album he suggested, which included Puritania. I couldn't really understand the lyrics all that well, so I checked them out online, and as I was reading them, I started thinking of that "Do the Evolution" video by Pearl Jam. So, out of curiosity, I decided to merge the two of them and see how well they synced up, by only matching the ending times together (no editing other than adding subtitles.) I was baffled by how well the video synced up with the song -- with parts in the video almost going right along with the lyrics. There are differences in the meanings therein I'm sure, but it was still crazy to see how well they went together -- at least on a more surface value.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:30 PM   #339
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Like dark side of the moon and the wizard of oz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Rainbow

I tried the Dark Side of the Moon and Wizard of Oz synchronizing thing back in college. It did kind of blow my mind. Though admittedly there may have been some substances involved that predisposed my mind to such effect.

Quote:
Synchronicity[edit]
There are various approaches regarding when to start synchronizing The Dark Side of the Moon audio with the film. Several involve the MGM lion as the cue. Most suggest the third roar, while some prefer the second or first. Others suggest starting the album not immediately after the lion's roar, but after the lion fades to black—exactly when the film begins. Viewing recommendations include reducing the film's audio and using captions or subtitles to follow the dialogue and plot.[5]

The iconic dispersive prism of the album's cover purportedly reflects the movie's transition from black-and-white Kansas to Technicolor Oz; further examples include music changes at dramatic moments, and thematic alignments such as the scarecrow dance during "Brain Damage". This synergy effect has been described as an example of synchronicity, defined by the psychologist Carl Jung as a phenomenon in which coincidental events "seem related but are not explained by conventional mechanisms of causality."[6]

Detractors argue that the phenomenon is the result of the mind's tendency to think it recognizes patterns amid disorder by discarding data that does not fit.[7] Psychologists refer to this tendency as apophenia, or confirmation bias. In this theory, a Dark Side of the Rainbow enthusiast will focus on matching moments while ignoring the greater number of instances where the film and the album do not correspond.
By the way Seansible, your signature explains exactly how I got this info.

Oh look at this, you can just youtube this now no need to even sync it yourself.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:21 PM   #340
MrSensible
Welcome to Moonside.

MrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwesterny View Post
Like dark side of the moon and the wizard of oz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Rainbow

I tried the Dark Side of the Moon and Wizard of Oz synchronizing thing back in college. It did kind of blow my mind. Though admittedly there may have been some substances involved that predisposed my mind to such effect.

By the way Seansible, your signature explains exactly how I got this info.

Oh look at this, you can just youtube this now no need to even sync it yourself.
Despite being a pretty big stoner in high school/my early college years (along with a very brief dabble of more powerful psychedelics), I amazingly never sat down and watched this. You hear references to it all the time but I don't know... it always seemed to fall off my radar. It's a shame I don't smoke anymore; I figure if you're going to experience something like this, you should do it right .

In any case, thanks for the link. Once I get the lion's share of this studying done, I might finally check it out.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:27 PM   #341
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

I also have to say I liked the video that you made. Watched it all the way through, I was sad when she stepped on the ants. I doubt I could watch wizard of oz/dark side all the way without chemical assistance.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #342
MrSensible
Welcome to Moonside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwesterny View Post
I also have to say I liked the video that you made. Watched it all the way through, I was sad when she stepped on the ants. I doubt I could watch wizard of oz/dark side all the way without chemical assistance.
Glad to hear that. The part right after the ant hill is probably the one that I was the most blown away by. Quite a bit of coincidence there (even down to the explosion sound in the song syncing up to the explosion in the trenches.)
Old 09-14-2015, 08:17 PM   #343
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Wasn't sure where to post this so.. I guess this is as good a place as any.

Me today at work having issues with my top. (A boob specific FA happy place..lol)
Thankfully this blouse has ruffles that cover..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_me_2.jpg (82.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_me_3.jpg (71.5 KB, 70 views)
Old 09-17-2015, 12:35 AM   #344
tankyguy

tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

This could be a useful tool around these parts:
tankyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:13 AM   #345
MsBrightside

MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default unintentional online dating

^Great post!

This is related in only the most tangential way, but I started playing QuizUp this summer, and the categories I happen to like best tend to be dominated by males. The game has a chat function, and I've been surprised by the number of men who want a random female to Skype with them after a couple rounds of trivia. (I know, it's the Internet, what do I expect, right? ) Forget online dating sites--apparently geeky science, math, and history categories are where it's at for any woman who wants to be picked up! The last guy who asked me was from Switzerland, and I probably missed out on a great opportunity for a long-distance relationship when I politely declined.

Also, lucca, Hozay, or anyone else who might know the answer to this question: what does it mean if a man from Spain writes "jeje" followed by a winking emoji?? I'm curious, but a little bit afraid to find out. At least the French guy who contacted me was thoughtful enough to translate his comment into English--bonus points for you, sir!

After reading some of the ways in which people here have been approached online, I should probably just be glad no one (so far) has sent me a pic of his manly parts. (This is not a request, BTW.)
Old 09-17-2015, 08:26 AM   #346
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Lol.. Ms B... depending in the convo, and I woukd get her he was hitting on you because.. what man would be crazy enough not to hit on you... the "jeje" followed by a wink is along the lines of a man raising and lowering his eyebrows quickly... or a "Yeah you like this" type thing...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #347
MsBrightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca23v2 View Post
Lol.. Ms B... depending in the convo, and I woukd get her he was hitting on you because.. what man would be crazy enough not to hit on you... the "jeje" followed by a wink is along the lines of a man raising and lowering his eyebrows quickly... or a "Yeah you like this" type thing...
OK, thanks for the explanation--I'm thankful it's not something a lot worse!

I just thought it was a little strange that after answering a question about Scipio Africanus or Linnaeus, someone would feel a sudden urge to commence naughty Skyping. Honestly, I think that being female and having a pulse is enough to capture the interest of some men out there.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:59 AM   #348
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBrightside View Post

I just thought it was a little strange that after answering a question about Scipio Africanus or Linnaeus, someone would feel a sudden urge to commence naughty Skyping. Honestly, I think that being female and having a pulse is enough to capture the interest of some men out there.
Hey - some guys find intelligent women unbearably sexy!!! (and vice versa, cannot say i am immune to the charm of an intelligent bhm...

That being said - lol and rolleyes
Old 09-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #349
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Quote:
Honestly, I think that being female and having a pulse is enough to capture the interest of some men out there.
This is pretty accurate. When I was on a learning-oriented site, I would get random requests from (male) people wanting to be friends. This was also the case on a site for a speed typing game Maybe they were just imagining something with finger dexterity in that case, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
Hey - some guys find intelligent women unbearably sexy!!! (and vice versa, cannot say i am immune to the charm of an intelligent bhm...
Sapiosexuality is definitely a thing. Intelligence always gets me; I'm not even immune to the charm of an intelligent non-bhm. Sometimes I don't understand people who are into intelligence, but make no effort to come off as smart themselves...but oh well.

Also, your user-title keeps catching my attention. I'm stuck studying free will/determinism...and whenever I look over towards your avatar...it's kind of like I have no choice in thinking about it more.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #350
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:

I don't know the AHA CPR guidelines note that detecting a pulse can be difficult for even trained medical professionals in some circumstances. As such I do not use a pulse for my female standards determination. Look, listen and feel for signs of respiration is a better criteria than pulse and reduces the occurence of false negatives. Also the feeling for respiration part can be fun!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Tags
old mechanic men, passion bannisters, tornado of butthurt