Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 01-07-2016, 05:08 PM   #376
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Wait...

Is the (whole) episode actually 5 minutes? Or does it end right at that 2 minute point before they ask if you want to sign-up for that free-trial?
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:55 PM   #377
tankyguy

tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
Is the (whole) episode actually 5 minutes? Or does it end right at that 2 minute point before they ask if you want to sign-up for that free-trial?
From what I understand the episodes are only 3-4 minutes total.

On Crunchyroll, people without a membership have to wait a week after an episode airs to see it in full. A 14-day free trial membership gets around that.

They used to just automatically give you a free month trial when you first visit the site. I guess they stopped.

Someone uploaded it to youtube. It will probably get taken down before long.
https://youtu.be/F-0JHrQzNro
tankyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #378
bayone

bayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankyguy View Post
It appears to be about a BHM nicknamed "Huge" Habahiro who absolutely loves marshmallows more than anything. He works in an office with Iori Wakabayashi, who despite being aloof, desperately tries to win Habahiro's affections, usually with marshmallows, but to her frustration he remains oblivious to her intentions.
I like how everyone else in the office is just "oh, they're at it again."
bayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:27 PM   #379
tankyguy

tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayone View Post
I like how everyone else in the office is just "oh, they're at it again."
I can't wait to see what she tries next. The series poster and the manga suggests she will have some competition to deal with.
tankyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #380
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Looking for for people to write more hai ku on Crumblings wall. DO IT! Please do not quote this post I hope to delete it before he logs in so he will just find a ton of hai ku on his wall!

Wall
http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...er.php?u=10851

Haiku resources:
http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/st...ing-haiku.html
http://www.poetrysoup.com/haiku_syllable_counter/

Or just steal one from here instead of writing it!
http://www.haiku-poetry.org/fan-haiku.html
Old 02-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #381
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Four times in my life me and another person have stared at each other and both sworn up and down we've met even though its been impossible after an investigation of our past. Its creepy!!!
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #382
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwesterny View Post
Looking for for people to write more hai ku on Crumblings wall. DO IT! Please do not quote this post I hope to delete it before he logs in so he will just find a ton of hai ku on his wall!

Wall
http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...er.php?u=10851

Haiku resources:
http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/st...ing-haiku.html
http://www.poetrysoup.com/haiku_syllable_counter/

Or just steal one from here instead of writing it!
http://www.haiku-poetry.org/fan-haiku.html
This!!! Steal one!
And no explanations, just post them. He must log in and find his wall inexplicably covered in hai ku. It is a moral imperative.

If you are wondering why post a hai ku on his wall it is because he posted this on his wall also listing hai ku as an interest in his profile. :
Quote:
Empty message box.
To lift my heart: Write things here,
so I can read them.
He wants a hai ku response.Help out and mysteriously fill it with them! As I said I hope to delete this before he logs back in so there will be no explanation as to why. ACT NOW!!!
Old 02-19-2016, 01:18 PM   #383
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:
This!!! Steal one!
And no explanations, just post them. He must log in and find his wall inexplicably covered in hai ku. It is a moral imperative.

If you are wondering why post a hai ku on his wall it is because he posted this on his wall also listing hai ku as an interest in his profile. :

He wants a hai ku response.Help out and mysteriously fill it with them! As I said I hope to delete this before he logs back in so there will be no explanation as to why. ACT NOW!!!
My plan; epic fail
Perhaps a bad idea
But Xyantha I blame
Old 02-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #384
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Ok.. I found this article today...Some of the jobs on this list I never even though about! nevermind that people get paid for them. lol...

IE: Golf ball diver: $100,000 a year, or sex toy tester: $39,000, Waterslide tester: $30,000, Papewr Towel Sniffer: $52,000....

http://www.z100.com/photos/articles/...16#/1/24781353
Old 03-06-2016, 05:40 PM   #385
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

While driving to a competition today, I drove between two large hills. As I crested the top of the first, it looked like a lake of fog. As I descended, I actually went BELOW the fog.

The fog bank bottom was at the height of the trees, and gave an absolutely stunning, and unreal look, smooth above me like the surface of a lake that I was looking at from the bottom. It reminded me of those 'lakes' at the bottoms of oceans. Very, very cool.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:12 PM   #386
ODFFA
Ainsi sera...

ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!

I recently thought back to when Amaranthine posted a link to the Big Five personality test here, that some of us did. After doing the test myself (and not posting the results :-P ) I was looking up some things about neuroticism vs. emotional stability and came across this outstanding piece-of-art-icle: How To Be Emotionally Stable Without Getting Bored.

I've read it a few times over in the last few months and found myself going back to it today. I'm just really curious as to what other people make of it. I sometimes struggle with the "not getting bored" part
, and to not equate emotional stability with numbness. As much work as I've been putting into curbing my neuroticism, I do find myself missing the intensity.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:58 AM   #387
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

My husband can exhibit neurotic tendancies about safety (compulsively turning the handle dozens of times, unplugging every outet in the house before we leave, visually and auditorily checking every component in the house before exiting)...

So i totally get what you mean about missing the intensity! It can be quite intense, at least in the way he displays it.

I can have similar tendancies, and i found keeping myself soooooo busy helped. I have no time to be perfectionist about one thing, because it is time to do the next. I aso experience high levels of anxiety around my performance, so i try and have more than just my job as an outlet, or i become obsessively anxious (like i will have paranoid moments of omg, they are going to fire me, even as i complete awesome work). So for me, i have multiple outlets to vent the emotions and fend off boredom.

As an intelligent person, i do not do well with boredom. My mind will spin and spin and spin, and all i do is turn all rhat energy inward, fooling others, making me stressed AND bored at the same time
Old 05-09-2016, 06:20 AM   #388
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODFFA View Post
I recently thought back to when Amaranthine posted a link to the Big Five personality test here, that some of us did. After doing the test myself (and not posting the results :-P ) I was looking up some things about neuroticism vs. emotional stability and came across this outstanding piece-of-art-icle: How To Be Emotionally Stable Without Getting Bored.

I've read it a few times over in the last few months and found myself going back to it today. I'm just really curious as to what other people make of it. I sometimes struggle with the "not getting bored" part
, and to not equate emotional stability with numbness. As much work as I've been putting into curbing my neuroticism, I do find myself missing the intensity.
It sounds pretty terrifying. I canít say that I can relate much from my life, Iíve been fortunate never to have to deal with depression personally, but it I was really glad to read it to gain more understanding of other people. That sort of arc is something Iíve always had a hard time understanding because it is so far from my own experiences, but I want to understand what others deal with more (including to some degree my wife and son). And honestly, going through that all may well make for a stronger and clearer sense of self than what most otherís will ever achieve, so while I am glad Iíve never had to go through such pain, I admit some jealousy for what may be achieved at the other end of it all.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #389
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

I just finding it a little disturbing that it's title suggests it's a how to or model for behavior and then goes on describe a period of near suicidal depression. The trick would be to get help and medications before you hit rock bottom. I understand that suffering and hardship can build character and widen perspective but self-inflicted suffering is unnecessary and courting or protecting your own misery is so self-destructive. Not that I don't do this myself a fair bit.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #390
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

I took that to more of a dramatization of emotions than a biography. If it is literal, than no, i have never been that bad. I also read it with ODFFA's post in mind. I don't think that the posting, if taken literally, is just neurotic behaviour, there is other issues going on. But if identifying neurotic sympoms in that article, yes; emotionally i understand the violent swings; as an adult i experience them more rarely, but as a child and teen it was a rollercoaster ride.

The up and downswing of your emotion triggers chemicals; qnd just like people who seek a natura high by doing dangerous deeds, the person has to goto greater and greater lengths to feel alive. Knowing it and controlling it is hard; and can be incredibly boring until your brain chemistry tries to reset a bit. After experiencing vast highs and low, just 'existing' can make you feel even MORE depressed, because what is the point to not feeling?

(Anne of green gables; always feeling 500%, either high as the sky or in the depths of despair)
Old 05-09-2016, 07:37 AM   #391
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Well the upswing and downswing like any other behavior can be considered both results and causes of brain chemistry. This whole article sounds like it's describing biploar disorser rather than primary obsessive and or compulsive disorders. I get that the instructions aspect can be interpreted as artistic as Odffa said but I would classify it as a cautionary tale rather than a how to.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:38 AM   #392
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Oh, absolutely. Hitting rock bottom should never be a planned part of the process.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #393
ODFFA
Ainsi sera...

ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
I took that to more of a dramatization of emotions than a biography. If it is literal, than no, i have never been that bad. I also read it with ODFFA's post in mind. I don't think that the posting, if taken literally, is just neurotic behaviour, there is other issues going on. But if identifying neurotic sympoms in that article, yes; emotionally i understand the violent swings; as an adult i experience them more rarely, but as a child and teen it was a rollercoaster ride.

The up and downswing of your emotion triggers chemicals; qnd just like people who seek a natura high by doing dangerous deeds, the person has to goto greater and greater lengths to feel alive. Knowing it and controlling it is hard; and can be incredibly boring until your brain chemistry tries to reset a bit. After experiencing vast highs and low, just 'existing' can make you feel even MORE depressed, because what is the point to not feeling?

(Anne of green gables; always feeling 500%, either high as the sky or in the depths of despair)
Exactly this, is what I get from that article. And by missing the intensity, I really meant the natural highs, obviously. But I feel like, if your proclivity is to feel everything at 500% intensity, that'll count for the lows too. Your skin is just a little thinner than most, you pick up on every minute social cue and everything feels like a relatively big deal to you. That's what it takes to "love everything" with that much fervor. Your antennae must be out all the way.

And if you happen to ever experience any kind of trauma / betrayal / something that'd be on the "Seriously Shitty" end of the emotional pain scale for anyone.... that is even less fun at 500% intensity. Now, not everyone who feels things very keenly will have Bipolar Disorder or inevitably sink into a deep depression. If you're lucky enough, circumstantially and neurochemically, you can live out most / all of your life without knowing too many intense lows, and keep the Polyanna alive inside. Most Annes of Green Gables aren't that fortunate, but there are some.

Xyantha also perrrrfectly elucidated what happens when you start turning the intensity dial down on purpose, because you recognise the benefits of a more equilibrious way of being. That whole "What is the point of not (really) feeling" thing. It's probably not logical to equate contented stability with numbness, but after all that HD-feeling, I find it hard not to.

Quote:
Well the upswing and downswing like any other behavior can be considered both results and causes of brain chemistry. This whole article sounds like it's describing biploar disorser rather than primary obsessive and or compulsive disorders. I get that the instructions aspect can be interpreted as artistic as Odffa said but I would classify it as a cautionary tale rather than a how to.
I agree. And that's the one thing which does frustrate me about the article. It's not really a "how to" at all. But I think it is an "it's possible."

....but HOW, goddamn it?! :-P
Old 05-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #394
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODFFA View Post
about neuroticism vs. emotional stability and came across this outstanding piece-of-art-icle: How To Be Emotionally Stable Without Getting Bored.

I've read it a few times over in the last few months and found myself going back to it today. I'm just really curious as to what other people make of it. I sometimes struggle with the "not getting bored" part[/SIZE][/SIZE], and to not equate emotional stability with numbness. As much work as I've been putting into curbing my neuroticism, I do find myself missing the intensity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
As an intelligent person, i do not do well with boredom. My mind will spin and spin and spin, and all i do is turn all rhat energy inward, fooling others, making me stressed AND bored at the same time
Maybe I have bizarre thought patterns, but I don't really get the connection between emotional stability and boredom. They hinge on two very different things imo - one is indeed more emotional, hinging on hormones, brain chemistry, vagus nerve stimulation and the like. The other is more mental, about being intellectually occupied and fulfilled.

Maybe it's because I don't really know what boredom is. When I have to go about a boring and repetitive task, or watch a boring movie, sit in a boring meeting - my mind wanders off to more interesting places, leaving boredom behind. To maybe develop a new story, re-visit something I just learned, start all sort of hypothetical planning .... with the unfortunate result that I no longer concentrate on the boring task at hand and do particularly poorly in those. It's always been that way, like back in school, I'd overlook an entire page of fill-out exercises in text books because they were so repetitive and boring - resulting in a test D for a task I literally could do in my sleep. At least I wasn't bored though, but mentally nicely busy in my own fantasy world.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:38 AM   #395
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Emotional volatility, the opposite of stability, is the antithesis of boredom. I think that's the idea. There are myriad causes for such volatility I suspect, some the result of chemical repsonses conditioned to cause overload (conditioned hypersensitivity to dopamine release for example or other loop gain problems in chemical feedback) and some caused by transient or environmental factors. Again even "chemical" causes are often conditioned so maybe the conditioning can be changed without outside chemical intervention (happy pills) or the chemical intervention can be facilitated by behavioral change. I'll happily admit I take an antidepressant and am quite satisfied with it. It controls my anxiety, boosts my energy and has made me the shining example of mental health and stability that I am today (internet sarcasm)...
Old 05-09-2016, 05:31 PM   #396
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

I think I understand what you mean. I mean, many people cannot understand the connection between taste and needing to eat. Many people I know literally eat to fulfil a biological urge to survive. Although they can identify food which tastes "good" or "bad", they take zero delight in the food and the idea of eating more of a "good" food is alien to them.
Food goes in your face so you don't die. Overeating? Craving food? Nah.

My intellectual hunger, my social hunger, and my attention are all linked together. I cannot enjoy something that is not stimulating. Without my emotions being stimulated, I receive no gratification, no fulfillment.

I live in the moment. I would love to daydream in those scenarios, but I feel aggression and irritation at the thing preventing me from emotional and intellectual fulfillment. I begrudge, with every molecule in my body, boredom. It is like watching seconds pass by in the hourglass of my life; you are wasting my god damn time and I can't get it back. I utterly resent the imposition on my life for something so trivial, because it prevents me from living. I combat this by ensuring I stay stimulated in my job, or else I would probably mouth off and get fired, because the people in charge are generally so, so incompetent.

I receive no intellectual stimulation unless I am emotionally engaged. It is why I can memorize a novel but find things like history impossible to memorize. Why can't I remember when WWI started, or any important events? Because emotionally, I don't care. It also has zero social utility for me, so gets a double bump into the "meh" pile. Yet, I can literally memorize books I enjoy after one reading, or after travelling somewhere I enjoy, retrace my steps without so much as glancing at a map. I can memorize whole philosophies, comprehend entire branches of social sciences which I find interesting with no trouble.

Work? When I love what I do and am challenged? I am unstoppable. If I know what I am doing, but am not emotionally engaged? I literally want to put my head on the desk and beat it until I go unconscious, I am so bored. That lack of emotional stimulation means I know I am not operating at full capacity. Which creates anxiety; are they going to fire me???

It took years for me to realize 'my' 70% was other people's 150%. And that I needed to stop measuring my success with how challenged I was, and instead look at the bar as how low others had set it. Instead of being like "omg, I did 70 but I know I am capable of doing 100" I had to stop myself and say "yes...but everyone else can only do 50. You are a supastar, gold star for u! Now, take the extra two hours and keep your credentials in good standing on the company's dime, because even after you asked for work they said you were overloaded. Take all you can, give nothing back!"

And THAT makes me angry. Because why am I wasting my time doing something I am good at, but only uses 70% of my capacity? I am arrogant enough (re: other post ) that I have realized I am capable of more, so why should I let stupid, ignorant, aggressive people lead me? Why should I waste my precious time listening to [you] when I could be at home engulfed in my menagerie and cuddling my hubby?

So then I become frustrated, wondering and looking for what I could do that might re-spark that fulfilment. And then I realized; I will never receive fulfilment from work alone. I needed to balance it with other things.

I LOVE cooking; therefore I excel. To engage my intellect, you need to engage my passion. Once I am passionate, my entire being is devoted to that interest. And someone cannot beat you at something you love...because if you love it, you are glad to see it bettered, regardless of who does it. My hubby tried for YEARS to get me to have a real hobby. When he realized I LOVED dog sport, he threw up his hands in defeat because he knew that I received mental, social, intellectual, and emotional stimulation from it. But, conversely, I receive a great deal of pride, social acknowledgement, and mental challenge from aspects of my job.

So, by giving myself dozens of outlets, I never allow myself to feel failure in any one thing, only successes.

---

Part of this stems from receiving abuse/trauma as a child, I suspect, at least in my cause. It blasts open all our barriers, and makes us emotionally overstimulated, constantly. We have to be 150% aware of everyone around us; how they feel, what their motivations might be, how and why they may act a certain way, because we need to be ready to JUMP at any second. Betrayal of trust; suddenly we peer more closely at those around us. Assessing. Reassessing. Have I upset them? Are they bored? What are they thinking?

I never knew when any family or friend might turn on me in rage, jealousy, or other emotions. I never knew who I could trust, when. I did not laugh or smile for years. When I finally realized I needed to break out, I overanalyzed each and every facial expression, body queue, and tonal inflection. If I asked a friend to hang out and they said no? They hated me. If they didn't invite me? They never actually wanted to be my friend, and I was an imposition. If I did something stupid? Everyone was always thinking about it. I basically beat myself up, watching little mental video clips of perceived social faux pas I had made, or how I had humiliated myself. If someone said something horrid to me? A tiny part of me wondered if I had deserved it.

As an adult who has truly challenged every faculty and succeeded, I have learned to leave behind those who I cannot trust, or at least limit their involvement in my life. I just do not have the time or capacity to deal with bullshite anymore, and so either I love you and you are "worthy" or I move on and you become an acquaintance. When I feel a strong kindred spirit with another I have learned to tell them, ask them if they feel the same way. If their response is YES then we equally contribute. If the answer is no; no harm, no foul, you are now an acquaintance, not a true
bosom friend" .

If my job doesn't pay enough or stimulate? I move on. etc etc.

All this emotion causes exhaustion, and although you can turn it off somewhat, our brains are wired open to stimulus. So imagine feeling all of that strength of attachment to your friends. The passion you have about your job. The fascination you have with food.

Now, turn it all off. Acknowledge what you feel on an intellectual level only.

Yay...friends (but I am also an introvert so ehhhhh...friends...?
Job? Frickin waste of time that is boring and doesn't even pay me as much as it should. Could be done in 5 hours but they will fire me for leaving early so I sit and stare at my computer and get told I am a super star.
Food? That stuff keeps me alive. So I can work another day. So I can pay for bowling to hang out with friends that, although I enjoy hanging out with, are also annoying. Oh, the joy of waking up every day to waste most of it at a job, to then spend time doing things that are also boring!

It takes passion and turns it into a grinding drone of things you "have to do" as opposed to things you "want to do". So balancing is an art, and if you are like me, you will have to compromise between allowing yourself joy and moderating your 'levels'. Like a dieter's dilemma. Like, going from a "gainer" diet of junkfood anytime, whenevertime, to iceberg lettuce salad with no veggies and no dressing. After a while, you realize there is SOME variety in salads, and cake is ok to have sometimes. But that first bit feels that way, even if it isn't true, because your brain is all agog for sugar and fat and salt and craves it so much that everything else tastes like ash. After it calms down, you relearn to appreciate other things...but you may still find the diet bland overall.

If that makes sense

Again, I don't feel that way as strongly now, but the struggle was real to me when I first started, and I remember those feelings strongly. Combined with my SAD? I spent most of every fall and spring in tears. I learned how to adapt, how to excel, and how not to self destruct, all without being bored.

But 'tis hard!

Edit: added a pic of something i came across that resonated with me (not saying correct or to take it whole cloth, just felt "right" instinctually. Like omg, the feels!

Last edited by Xyantha Reborn; 05-09-2016 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Pic
Old 05-09-2016, 06:05 PM   #397
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Dammit, I can't rep you yet.

Everything you just said applies exactly to me as well, just substitute the hobbies and passions. I don't often go very 'deep' into my Dims posts but needless to say this hits strikingly close to home. I haven't read the rest of the posts in the thread yet, but I will to get the full context. One thing I constantly have to remind myself, especially when dealing with others, is to not be so solipsistic. Adapting to others is so draining, but mandatory to make a living at this point. This is why I bury myself in my own pursuits, and subsequently bury Dims in my music posts. (I digress...)

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #398
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Angst; the newsletter!!
Old 05-10-2016, 08:03 AM   #399
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

I've said before this sounds like hyperarousal or excessive sympathetic nervous activation. That is the fight or flight system kicking in too much. I have noticed this on a fair number of FFAs, seems like a trend among a certain type. Interestingly the opposite of this hyperarousal is parasympathetic activation which relates to relaxation. That system is actually refered to as feed or breed in some contextss (as opposed to fight or flight). So it actually could tie in to why food and sex are linked in some hyperarousal types, why seeing someone eat gets them sexually aroused because it helps trigger parasympathetic activation. Or I'm just full of shit. Probably that.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #400
ODFFA
Ainsi sera...

Quote:
....why seeing someone eat gets them sexually aroused because it helps trigger parasympathetic activation. Or I'm just full of shit. Probably that.
Nono, there may well be something to this. Even in FFAs like myself who aren't necessarily aroused by seeing a BHM eat, but aroused by other associated factors. It's not too illogical to see how, if you're prone to hyperarousal, comfort feels/looks so good that it's downright seductive. Like, it could play into there being a reason why I often use terms such as 'luxuriously cuddly' and 'deliciously sexy'. *Parasympathetic happy sigh*

Tags
old mechanic men, passion bannisters, tornado of butthurt