Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Hyde Park (Archive Only)

Old 06-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
Russell Williams

Russell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default What should be the symbol of the American-Israel Air Force.

It already has a band.

Around 1974 I had to install a new back door on my house. It was a very substantial door. I painted the whole door a bright white. Then, on the outside of the door I put a light blue circle that had a diameter of about 2 feet. Inside the blue circle I painted a Star of David. On each side of the circle, in the space between the circle and the edge of the door, I painted three stripes. One three-inch wide stripe was crimson red, beneath it was a three-inch wide stripe of snow white, and beneath it was a three-inch wide royal blue stripe.

When people would ask what the symbol represented that I would tell them that I was proposing the symbol for the Israeli-American Air Force.

Now as Hezbollah is getting more arms from Iran, and there is talk of Russian surface-to-air missiles being provided the Syrian government, and Iran is developing both nuclear weapons and long-range delivery systems it becomes increasingly possible that the Sunnis and Shiites may manage to reconcile their differences in the attempt to make the Hamas charter's clause that talks of, "Soon in the rocks and the trees will call out, 'There is a Jew hiding behind me. Come and kill him' " become a reality.

Therefore my suggested symbol for the Israeli-American Air Force becomes more relevant.

Last night as I was searching on the Internet I found and downloaded a group playing the Israeli national anthem. I found it interesting that the group playing the anthem was the" American- Israeli Air Force band"
Old 06-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

...whut?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
DELIMAN092262

DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I agree. Please post your link.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
...whut?
It's an odd pair of anecdotes to build a statement around, but there's actually something at the core of it. The core premise is that all of the sectarian Syrian opposition will unite and the US will intervene militarily on behalf of Israel toward some unspecified end.

And as to what that end might be, I'm just as puzzled as you are. We aren't going to support the Assad regime, and the Alawite Christians are too small a minority to ensconce as a leadership class without destroying any pretense to democracy.

Last edited by CleverBomb; 06-14-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default I can admit that I was tempted...

But, I held-back only because so many of you did. I mean, there are so many....where to begin. Part of me just want to revel in the imagining of what it must be like for Russ's neighbors, how they must wonder. It would make for great candid-camera just to get their reactions at his antics. ("What-is-that!? What-hell-IS-ThaT!? Is-it, like, supposed to be a flag? Is this actually politcal? Or is it supposed to be some sort of satire?")

As for this Airforce's mascot, I'm envisioning some type of drone, okay; but bearded & with curls, decked out like the El Al plane of the Airplane franchise.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
But, I held-back only because so many of you did. I mean, there are so many....where to begin. Part of me just want to revel in the imagining of what it must be like for Russ's neighbors, how they must wonder. It would make for great candid-camera just to get their reactions at his antics. ("What-is-that!? What-hell-IS-ThaT!? Is-it, like, supposed to be a flag? Is this actually politcal? Or is it supposed to be some sort of satire?")

As for this Airforce's mascot, I'm envisioning some type of drone, okay; but bearded & with curls, decked out like the El Al plane of the Airplane franchise.
What the hell is that?

(Link is to a brief Steve Martin/Bill Murray Saturday Night Live sketch.)

For the record, this is mostly a riff on your "what the hell is that?" comment, and not so much directed at the OP.

Last edited by CleverBomb; 06-14-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
CleverBomb
On Space Out

Oh, and as for a symbol?

☆ ∩ ✡ = ∅

(Not strictly true, but close enough in this case for comedian's work. We do in fact have some common interests with Israel in this situation, but they're unlikely to require joint military action.)
Old 06-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
Russell Williams

Russell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELIMAN092262 View Post
I agree. Please post your link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas_Covenant
The Hamas charter, selected clauses.

Specific articles [edit]
• Article 1 describes the Movement's program as "Islam".[17]
• Article 2 of Hamas' Charter defines Hamas as a "universal movement" and "one of the branches of the Muslim Brotherhood in Palestine".[12][17][18][19]
• Article 3 the Movement consists of "Muslims who have given their allegiance to Allah".[17]
• Article 5 Demonstrates it Salafist roots and connections to the Muslim brotherhood. [17]
• Article 6 Hamas is uniquely Palestinian,[20] and "strives to raise the banner of Allah over every inch of Palestine"[12][17]
• Article 7 describes Hamas as "one of the links in the chain of the struggle against the Zionist invaders" and links the movement to the followers of the religious and nationalist hero Izz ad-Din al-Qassam.[17][19]
• Article 8 The Hamas document reiterates the Muslim Brotherhood's slogan of "Allah is its goal, the Prophet is the model, the Qur'an its constitution, jihad its path, and death for the sake of Allah its most sublime belief."[12][17]
• Article 9 adapts Muslim Brotherhood's vision to connect the Palestinian crisis with the Islamic solution and advocates "fighting against the false, defeating it and vanquishing it so that justice could prevail".[17]
• Article 11 Palestine is sacred(waqf) for all Muslims for all time, and it cannot be relinquished by anyone.[17]
• Article 12 affirms that "Nationalism, from the point of view of the Islamic Resistance Movement, is part of the religious creed" .[17]
• Article 13 There is no negotiated settlement possible. Jihad is the only answer.[17]
• Article 14 The liberation of Palestine is the personal duty of every Palestinian.[17]
• Article 15 "The day that enemies usurp part of Muslim land, Jihad becomes the individual duty of every Muslim".It states the history of crusades into Muslim lands and says the "Palestinian problem is a religious problem".[17]
• Article 20 Calls for action "by the people as a single body" against "a vicious enemy which acts in a way similar to Nazism, making no differentiation between man and woman, between children and old people".[17]
• Article 22 Makes sweeping claims about Jewish influence and power. [17][21]
• Article 28 Conspiracy indictment against "Israel, Judaism and Jews".[17][21]
• Article 32 Hamas condemns as co-plotters the “imperialistic powers” .[21] References The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.[

According to Abraham Foxman of the Anti-Defamation League, "The Hamas credo is not just anti-Israel, but profoundly anti-Semitic with racism at its core. The Hamas Charter reads like a modern-day 'Mein Kampf.'" According to the charter, Jewish people "have only negative traits and are presented as planning to take over the world."[23] The charter claims that the Jews deserve God’s/Allah’s enmity and wrath because they received the Scriptures but violated its sacred texts, disbelieved the signs of Allah, and slew their own prophets.[24] "The Day of Judgement will not come until Muslims fight the Jews, when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say, ‘O Muslims, O Abdullah, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him. Only the Gharkad tree would not do that because it is one of the trees of the Jews"(related by al-Bukhari and Muslim).[25] The charter contains references to antisemitic canards, such as the assertion that through shrewd manipulation of imperial countries and secret societies, Jews were behind a wide range of events and disasters going as far back in history as the French Revolution. The document also quotes Islamic religious texts to provide justification for fighting against and killing the Jews, without distinction of whether they are in Israel or elsewhere.[26] It presents the Arab-Israeli conflict as an inherently irreconcilable struggle between Jews and Muslims, and Judaism and Islam, adding that the only way to engage in this struggle between "truth and falsehood" is through Islam and by means of jihad, until victory or martyrdom.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
Russell Williams

[QUOTE=Yakatori;1989121] Part of me just want to revel in the imagining of what it must be like for Russ's neighbors, how they must wonder. It would make for great candid-camera just to get their reactions at his antics. ("What-is-that!? What-hell-IS-ThaT!? Is-it, like, supposed to be a flag? Is this actually politcal? Or is it supposed to be some sort of satire?")

Actually, two male neighbors did stop speaking to me about the time that I painted the symbol on my back door. Both of the neighbors had been very friendly and helpful up to that point. While they refused to discuss why they had stopped speaking to me the last words of one of them were suggestive of the reason. After he had ordered me never to walk on the sidewalk in front of his house he then added, "We don't want niggers in this neighborhood". The other male neighbors simply stopped speaking to me and if I happen to walk up to him he would turn and walk away. Both of their wives, if their husbands were not around, would sometimes wave back if I was walking by and, with a friendly smile, said hello and waved.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #10
Russell Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
Part of me just want to revel in the imagining of what it must be like for Russ's neighbors, how they must wonder. It would make for great candid-camera just to get their reactions at his antics. ("What-is-that!? What-hell-IS-ThaT!? Is-it, like, supposed to be a flag? Is this actually politcal? Or is it supposed to be some sort of satire?")

While thinking about these things I happen to remember, some of my college friends said that they were afraid to come visit me out of fear that they might be lynched. My white friends never expressed this fear. Only my black friends expressed this fear.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

The entire middle east is a great example of how religion totally ruins everything.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
The entire middle east is a great example of how religion totally ruins everything.
Only if you take it seriously.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Old 06-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
mango
Mustachio Nut

mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!
Arrow

Quote:
Ummm... you could say the same thing about 'merica.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #14
CleverBomb
On Space Out

Or Ireland not that long ago, or Europe itself a bit further back.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
DELIMAN092262

DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Except the leaders of the nations in the middle east don't make decisions that effect the future of their countries based on religion. It is based on national power and security.

For example, if the Iranians exploded a nuclear weapon as a test; with the implied threat to the nations of the gulf. The nations of the gulf would be willing to enter into a de facto defense arrangement with Israel. Even though they are of different religions. The security of the nation trumps religion.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Saudi Arabia would be the most likely to cooperate with Israel. They're not really invested in the destruction of Israel. On the other hand, an ascendant Iran would be a huge threat to them. Syria is too messed up in it's own little bloodbath, and Jordan would likely just cower and hope nobody notices it.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #17
CleverBomb
On Space Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
Saudi Arabia would be the most likely to cooperate with Israel. They're not really invested in the destruction of Israel. On the other hand, an ascendant Iran would be a huge threat to them. Syria is too messed up in it's own little bloodbath, and Jordan would likely just cower and hope nobody notices it.
On the other hand, they might just cut out the middleman and seek American security guarantees. After all, Israel can't pledge atomic retaliation because they officially deny having nuclear weapons.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #18
Dromond
Old school

The threat is implied, because even though Israel officially denies having nukes, it's common knowledge that they do have them. However, you are right that Saudi wouldn't publicly work with Israel, and would instead turn to the US. Secretly, they would. They have in the past.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #19
hal84

hal84 never has a post go unnoticedhal84 never has a post go unnoticedhal84 never has a post go unnoticedhal84 never has a post go unnoticedhal84 never has a post go unnoticedhal84 never has a post go unnoticedhal84 never has a post go unnoticedhal84 never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Such a simple generalization to blame something you don't like, bravo. The middle east is screwed up and has been screwed up sense the end of World War 1 where the allies in there wisdom took the old Ottoman Empire and made countries combining people that should nt be combined. The combined ethnic groups that strongly disagreed into countries and regions that never once had anything to do with each other became united.

After World War II th allies in there wisdom took an old British Colony and thru the guilt of the halocaust (Let's be honest if we didn't have world war 2 what are the odds we would have a Jewish state today?) because the allies waited to intervene and let's not forget the terrible story of the Ocean Liner St. Louis Isreal was born in 1947. Displacing the people who have lived there for centuries. So yes Bigmac religion plays alittle into it, however, can we stop the over simplification. I haven't even gotten into the messed up stuff America has done in the Middle East or the worlds worst kept secret that Isreal has a nuke and that's the driving force behind Iran wanting a nuke.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default In an alternate timeline...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal84 View Post
"...and thru the guilt of the halocaust (Let's be honest if we didn't have world war 2 what are the odds we would have a Jewish state today?"
I would say it's a virtual certainty.