Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 09:51 PM   #1
jaxjaguar

jaxjaguar can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesjaxjaguar can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Does Anyone Remember This Family? An SSBBW Mom and Her 3 SSBBW Daughters

About 8 years ago at the beginning of my FA odyessy, I remember seeing this photo and story in a tabloid while in the grocery checkout line. I also seem to remember some discussion about it on here. Obviously something like doesn't come along everyday.

While browsing a Yahoo group today I found the same picture. Does anyone remember this, or the story? I wonder whatever became of this lady and her three daughters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3231.jpg (58.6 KB, 13654 views)
Old 07-21-2006, 11:12 PM   #2
Smurftums

Smurftums has said some nice things

Yup, certainly do but the news is not good. They were residents of Natchez Mississippi and according to the Natchez Democrat website (before they reconstructed it and lost the data), Katrina passed away in 2005, Myrtle passed away about the same time and Teriney had died a year earlier. I couldn't find information on Kenethia. I remember the article from 1996 and have an article from "Plumpers and big Women" mentioning it. It's a tragedy as they were beautiful women.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:07 AM   #3
nyssbbbw

nyssbbbw has said some nice things

I remember their story but also didn't know what happened to them.If the news of their deaths is true it is very sad news indeed.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:23 PM   #4
jaxjaguar

jaxjaguar can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesjaxjaguar can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Thanks for the information Smurftums. How were you able to find that information so fast? I did a quick google search before I posted and found nothing.

I'm very sorry to hear that 3 of them have passed. Other than that, I'm not sure what to say. I was intrigued by this family, curious as to their thoughts on their situation, and as to what kind of people they were as individuals. On the other hand, I can't help thinking this situation was way out of hand, with one or possibly all of them enabling each other to an early grave. I mean, where do you blow the whistle?
Old 07-22-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
GPL

GPL has super-sized repGPL has super-sized repGPL has super-sized repGPL has super-sized rep

I also had the issue of "Plumpers & Big Women" back than, mentioning about these beautiful ladies. I never heard or saw anything more about them on the net.

GPL.

Avatar used with Tina's permission, ty Tina!
Old 07-22-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
exile in thighville
groups/347570880589/

exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!

very sad. they were all pretty, if the three daughters were very supersized for their age.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
skunkspot

skunkspot can now change their title

I was kinda hopin it was just a newbie tryin to mess with people but yeah, at least Myrtle and Teriney are deceased. natchezdemocrat.com/articles/2004/03/19/obituaries/obits43.txt And I guess I'll take Smurftums word on the rest.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:03 PM   #8
Smurftums

Smurftums has said some nice things

The newspaper site that I got the information from 2 years ago went through a redesign and all the info was lost (and I'd found it originally by doing a name search on the web). I had also tried contacting Rosalie Bradford (who was apparently trying to get the ladies to lose weight) but had no success there. The National Enquirer would have very little (if any) info as all their archives would still be contaminated by anthrax spores and not worth the effort and risk seeking out. For what it is worth, someone stateside could call the Natchez Democrat and inquire (bit expensive to do that from the other side of the planet for me... :/).
Old 07-23-2006, 11:14 AM   #9
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Not only sad...tragic...nice parenting, mom..sorry, but this was child abuse...
Old 07-23-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
Michaela
Former BBW

Michaela can now change their title

Sorry...but have you ever tried to keep a child (or any other person) from eating (overeating) if he or she wanted to eat ? Impossible...
Old 07-23-2006, 04:58 PM   #11
comngetmeFA

comngetmeFA has said some nice things
Default it's tricky

i rather agree that this (the photo) looks out of hand....i know it is def. hard not to overeat, but 3 daughters nearly over 500 lbs?! of course this forum is about fat acceptance but i think that a situation like this--a mother who let her children become so obese along with herself is just not good at all-- for health reasons. it is sad that they are deceased at such a young age. yeah, i may sound like a hypocrite for being a fat person as well(about 250), but just as a mother, letting your children be blatant gluttons? its like saying, "i know that i am like this, but i dont want my children to be in the situation that i am in..." you know?

i think since they were still pretty young, they should have at least tried to put a reasonable limit on their weight--maximum 300 lbs. i dont know...who says they didnt try...i have only seen a picture...

but when i saw this thread last night, i was still thinking about it when i was in bed trying to sleep. i dont know, it kinda haunted me. it just makes me think, like 'please God dont let that be me somewhere down the line...."
Old 07-23-2006, 05:43 PM   #12
gentle_viewer

gentle_viewer can now change their title

It makes me so sad that they died...though from the picture, I have to wonder whether it was *what* they ate that did the damage rather than how much they weighed. I love fast food (alas) but living on fried chicken and pizza has to do bad things to your heart... :/
Old 07-23-2006, 05:44 PM   #13
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm pretty fat for my age and I'm not dead yet. My mom had two fat daughters. She tried her best and we're still fat. She's fat herself, and my dad was fat too.

Perhaps they did eat a lot and ate unhealthy things, but methinks they bought the food for the shoot for "shock value". Ever notice when Maury has his umpteenth fat toodler show, they're always topless? It's not like you can't find a shirt to fit those children? But they want to titilate the audience with their flesh, to show how dangerous it can be. The same with this photo.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:17 PM   #14
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Miss Toodles..yeah..I agree that exploitative tv..etc, will want the people they showcase to be seen in the worst light possible

but

this is just proving my point at how abusive this mother was..she did not care enough to find help for her kids when it came to food..then how about showing some care when it came to having your daughters paraded like circus 'freaks'..*sigh*..just tragic all around..
Old 07-23-2006, 11:24 PM   #15
EbonySSBBW
California Dreams

EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles
I'm pretty fat for my age and I'm not dead yet. My mom had two fat daughters. She tried her best and we're still fat. She's fat herself, and my dad was fat too.

Perhaps they did eat a lot and ate unhealthy things, but methinks they bought the food for the shoot for "shock value". Ever notice when Maury has his umpteenth fat toodler show, they're always topless? It's not like you can't find a shirt to fit those children? But they want to titilate the audience with their flesh, to show how dangerous it can be. The same with this photo.
I was thinking the same thing, MissToodles. I can't believe that some of the fat people in this thread are guilty of doing the same thing that non fat people do to fat people everyday...make assumptions about how we got to where we are. I'm 440lbs and I was in my 300's in high school. Should my mom have been accused of child abuse? Did I get that way by having a feast layed out every night like is shown in that picture? Of course not! In fact, all through high school I never ate breakfast and rarely ate lunch (because I didn't want others seeing me eat). How ridiculous to see that picture, obviously meant for entertainment purposes, and make judgements on the lives of those women whom none of you truly know anything about. Shame on you!

"The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts" Marcus A. Antoninus

"If I were asked to give what I consider the single most useful bit of advice for all humanity, it would be this: Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life, and when it comes, hold your head high. Look it squarely in the eye, and say, I will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me" Ann Landers
Old 07-24-2006, 07:20 AM   #16
comngetmeFA

comngetmeFA has said some nice things
Red face once again: it's tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySSBBW
I was thinking the same thing, MissToodles. I can't believe that some of the fat people in this thread are guilty of doing the same thing that non fat people do to fat people everyday...make assumptions about how we got to where we are. I'm 440lbs and I was in my 300's in high school. Should my mom have been accused of child abuse? Did I get that way by having a feast layed out every night like is shown in that picture? Of course not! In fact, all through high school I never ate breakfast and rarely ate lunch (because I didn't want others seeing me eat). How ridiculous to see that picture, obviously meant for entertainment purposes, and make judgements on the lives of those women whom none of you truly know anything about. Shame on you!

In fact it did cross my mind that the photos were staged for entertainment purposes to create the shocking effect, they obviously were. But my opinion stays the same, if, of course you were referring to me, if not then…I mean, yeah, I cant tell what these women went through, how they lived their lives--I didn’t live in their bodies. The photo is just a fractional representation of their lives. Yet, to me, the mother in the back of her mind, had to have ruminated over her influence over her children in some way or another, even if it was only for a split second.…and like I said, I’m definitely not a stranger to overeating, (I’ve been fat all of my life) but I think at some point there has to be a limit, has to be, when you know some things are proven to be detrimental…Do you really want to reach oblivion? Doesn't sound very fun. Each person reaches their breaking point. Im culpable of overeating myself, but, where’s the limit? At some point (well for me, I guess) you have to be like, “okay, let me stop” or “let me just put this down for a minute“ (and take one day off!) Of course, blatant overeating/binging can be seen as an addiction, or disease, or whatever malady--maybe this is what they went through, some deep rooted psychological issue, maybe their bodies were just prone to immense weight gain… maybe they did just love to eat without a care in the world--heck, certain foods are just so freakin yummy , they (the food) have to know how freakin good they taste, and the power they have over people and me!…but like I say all the time--who knows…

But I guess what I’m really trying to get at is, after reading your comment, Ebony, just because someone is fat, does not mean they automatically go along with everything that is fat, such as thinking it is okay to be nearly 600 pounds when one is only 22, or any other age. I don’t’ think I’m a threat to the ‘movement’ for feeling this way. It’s like saying that just because I like sex/tooting my own horn, (maybe bad comparison) that I will want it nearly every minute (some people do), and above all other things, desires, or whatever. I've come pretty close, but alas… It’s like, issues, to me, seem illogical when it’s an ‘all or nothing’ deal or something I should totally and utterly be down for no matter what: Just because I’m this, doesn’t mean I support everything that is this…you know? That’s just implausible. Nothing’s just rigidly black and white. That’s why I said the whole thing’s tricky…

And in high school/middle school, I pretty much did the same thing you did, probably like a lot of other fat people (or thin people), not eat breakfast, and most of the time skip lunch until I got home (that’s probably a factor to my weight anyway). I mean, I still do it now. So we’re similar…

Yeah, I’m fat--like being fat to some degree, want to be desired by an FA or any other person, want to be accepted as being fat person…but sometimes I just disagree with some things that go along with being fat…

But I partly agree with you, assumptions do only make an ass out of one. I really did feel sort of stirred by the picture--that’s what the photographer intended(yeah, it was pretty much staged)--but it was really effective…it made me think in the back of my mind about my own mortality. it made me think about being at that weight-- it’s something I dread and hope that I don’t ever get to. That’s just me. I--me, myself--(not you or any other fat person). I wouldn’t feel comfortable being that large, that’s all. If you think so, it’s no reason to think that I’m a traitor or should not belong (not saying you said that, just elaborating). Hey, are all fat people really a part of a gang? Am I going to be reckoned with for not being unflinchingly loyal?

And so, I may sound like a hypocrite for stating my opinion, by my opinion is just--just like your opinion is. So I don’t think I or anyone else who dissented from your opinion should be 'ashamed.’ It's like saying those in that photo should be 'ashamed' for being over 500lbs...Not fair really. I really don’t feel any stinging guilt or lingering remorse. To me, there is a difference between fantasy and reality. But I hate to be debating over people who have passed on…I’ll just end my commentary here--before it gets moved to the hyde park section. Just wanted to defend my point.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:59 AM   #17
EbonySSBBW
California Dreams

EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comngetmeFA
In fact it did cross my mind that the photos were staged for entertainment purposes to create the shocking effect, they obviously were. But my opinion stays the same, if, of course you were referring to me, if not then…I mean, yeah, I cant tell what these women went through, how they lived their lives--I didn’t live in their bodies. The photo is just a fractional representation of their lives. Yet, to me, the mother in the back of her mind, had to have ruminated over her influence over her children in some way or another, even if it was only for a split second.…and like I said, I’m definitely not a stranger to overeating, (I’ve been fat all of my life) but I think at some point there has to be a limit, has to be, when you know some things are proven to be detrimental…Do you really want to reach oblivion? Doesn't sound very fun. Each person reaches their breaking point. Im culpable of overeating myself, but, where’s the limit? At some point (well for me, I guess) you have to be like, “okay, let me stop” or “let me just put this down for a minute“ (and take one day off!) Of course, blatant overeating/binging can be seen as an addiction, or disease, or whatever malady--maybe this is what they went through, some deep rooted psychological issue, maybe their bodies were just prone to immense weight gain… maybe they did just love to eat without a care in the world--heck, certain foods are just so freakin yummy , they (the food) have to know how freakin good they taste, and the power they have over people and me!…but like I say all the time--who knows…

But I guess what I’m really trying to get at is, after reading your comment, Ebony, just because someone is fat, does not mean they automatically go along with everything that is fat, such as thinking it is okay to be nearly 600 pounds when one is only 22, or any other age. I don’t’ think I’m a threat to the ‘movement’ for feeling this way. It’s like saying that just because I like sex/tooting my own horn, (maybe bad comparison) that I will want it nearly every minute (some people do), and above all other things, desires, or whatever. I've come pretty close, but alas… It’s like, issues, to me, seem illogical when it’s an ‘all or nothing’ deal or something I should totally and utterly be down for no matter what: Just because I’m this, doesn’t mean I support everything that is this…you know? That’s just implausible. Nothing’s just rigidly black and white. That’s why I said the whole thing’s tricky…

And in high school/middle school, I pretty much did the same thing you did, probably like a lot of other fat people (or thin people), not eat breakfast, and most of the time skip lunch until I got home (that’s probably a factor to my weight anyway). I mean, I still do it now. So we’re similar…

Yeah, I’m fat--like being fat to some degree, want to be desired by an FA or any other person, want to be accepted as being fat person…but sometimes I just disagree with some things that go along with being fat…

But I partly agree with you, assumptions do only make an ass out of one. I really did feel sort of stirred by the picture--that’s what the photographer intended(yeah, it was pretty much staged)--but it was really effective…it made me think in the back of my mind about my own mortality. it made me think about being at that weight-- it’s something I dread and hope that I don’t ever get to. That’s just me. I--me, myself--(not you or any other fat person). I wouldn’t feel comfortable being that large, that’s all. If you think so, it’s no reason to think that I’m a traitor or should not belong (not saying you said that, just elaborating). Hey, are all fat people really a part of a gang? Am I going to be reckoned with for not being unflinchingly loyal?

And so, I may sound like a hypocrite for stating my opinion, by my opinion is just--just like your opinion is. So I don’t think I or anyone else who dissented from your opinion should be 'ashamed.’ It's like saying those in that photo should be 'ashamed' for being over 500lbs...Not fair really. I really don’t feel any stinging guilt or lingering remorse. To me, there is a difference between fantasy and reality. But I hate to be debating over people who have passed on…I’ll just end my commentary here--before it gets moved to the hyde park section. Just wanted to defend my point.
I think that you missed the point of my post. My post had nothing to do with the weight of these women or what weight is acceptable or not acceptable. My point was that you and others are making judgements based on one picture when you know nothing about these women. What if there is a medical reason as to why they are fat? What if they have dieted many times only to gain the weight back? I lost 220lbs back when I was 23 years old (from a liquid diet and exercise) only to gain it back plus more just 2 years later. You don't even know how these women flipping died (if they have indeed passed away) but because they are fat you are assuming that the fat was the reason when it could have been something totally unrelated to that. How is that any different than a non fat person taking one look at me and saying, "she just sits around and eats all day." Would that be accurate? No! In fact, last August I weighed 465lbs but I bought a treadmill so that I could live a healthier lifestyle and just from exercising alone have lost almost 30lbs over the past year. I work out at least 3 times a week and have recently started water jogging. A young ssbbw in our community recently died but it was from lung cancer (she wasn't even a smoker). So you see, unlike you, I'm not willing to look at one photo and assume that I know everything about their lives just because it is a staged photo that feeds into people who think the way that you do.

"The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts" Marcus A. Antoninus

"If I were asked to give what I consider the single most useful bit of advice for all humanity, it would be this: Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life, and when it comes, hold your head high. Look it squarely in the eye, and say, I will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me" Ann Landers

Last edited by EbonySSBBW; 07-24-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:40 AM   #18
Dutchgut

Dutchgut has said some nice things
Default Does anyone remember this family?

EbonySSBBW, well said.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:52 PM   #19
Les Toil
On Timeout

Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaela
Sorry...but have you ever tried to keep a child (or any other person) from eating (overeating) if he or she wanted to eat ? Impossible...
It's pretty clear from that photo that the mom opted for Col. Sanders, Pizza Hut and Burger King over nutritious foods. I think they're all victims of their environment. If they come from a neighborhood that's swallowed up by fast food restaurants, liquor stores and malt liquor billboards, they probably assumed that's the typical American dining fare.

BUT--when mom saw that her children were approaching her girth, she should have done anything and everything to prevent that. Surely she as a mom doesn't want her beloved children to experience the physical discomforts of that size which she knew it might lead to premature death. Food (unhealthy fatty food) probably equals happiness in that household and I guess that was the mindset mom is in.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:14 PM   #20
Les Toil
On Timeout

Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Les Toil has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

EbonySSBBW, I very much hear what you're saying, but I'll stick to my guns and assume they arrived at their weights due to poor food choices. It's very, very, very rare one could reach that size from eating chicken salads and tofu all of one's life. But again I have to stress I don't put the blame on anyone but the greedy marketers that aim their incredibly unhealthy food campaigns at certain communities in this country. And judging from those hairstyles, I don't think they're from The Hamptons.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:48 PM   #21
LeedsFeeder

LeedsFeeder has said some nice things

I recall that picture - it was staged, it was supposed to be the last big food blow out before they all went on a diet. The food in that pic is there for the purpose of the picture, that's all.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #22
Totmacher

Totmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going on

Well, there goes another adolescent fantasy.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:04 PM   #23
Leonard
Large Marge sent me.

Leonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Yeah, that certainly doesn't look like a candid shot.

Anyhow, for those of you accusing the mother of child abuse, I don't think this is fair. How can you expect someone who doesn't know how to maintain a healthy diet to teach her children to do otherwise? From her perspective, their expanding figures could have been the results of genetics. In any case, this is a story where everyone loses.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:24 PM   #24
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Thank you Ebony & Leonard! I come from a line of big folk, and I also am an emotional eater. I was over 300 lbs in high school but walked everywhere. Some people who may eat a lot gain a lot of weight. Others end up a wee bit chubby.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:00 PM   #25
Phalloidium

Phalloidium can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Toil
EbonySSBBW, I very much hear what you're saying, but I'll stick to my guns and assume they arrived at their weights due to poor food choices. It's very, very, very rare one could reach that size from eating chicken salads and tofu all of one's life. But again I have to stress I don't put the blame on anyone but the greedy marketers that aim their incredibly unhealthy food campaigns at certain communities in this country. And judging from those hairstyles, I don't think they're from The Hamptons.
Exactly. It sneaks up on you, too. For a while, once I started going to the gym, the weight came off easily -- but slowed to a stop. What was the reason? I was consuming far more calories than I thought. It's incredibly easy to consume 3000 calories in a day when you're drinking juice instead of water, or having that bit of ice cream with a meal, etc.

A lot of people would think nothing of having a small bottle of pop and a chocolate bar every day -- but that's 500 extra calories a day that's keeping 40 pounds on. A lot of convenience food isn't very filling, either, so a person naturally eats a large amount of calories to feel full. A 1000 calorie fast food meal certainly doesn't fill me, but 500 calories of raw vegetables leaves me completely stuffed.

A marketer doesn't stuff food down your throat. You do. People who blame companies who sell unhealthy food for their obesity should be blaming themselves for eating it. It's not like fast food, for instance, is cheap. It's like complaining your feet are sore from wearing shoes two sizes too small because Nike had a television commercial for that style.

There is a lot of miseducation out there though. The other month, I saw a woman tell her niece to finish her juice first when she asked for water "because it's good for you" -- probably oblivious the "juice" the child was drinking was mostly watered down corn syrup and flavouring and contained next to no nutrients. Certainly unparadoxically, both were significantly overweight. People simply assume too much about "food" products.

All this being said, I'm certainly glad for this pervasive level of ignorance -- it produces a lot of eye candy for my FA eyes, though I wish the figures I see were built with more nutritious ingredients.
Closed Thread