Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 06:18 PM   #26
comngetmeFA

comngetmeFA has said some nice things

i couldn't resist....if it is solely genetics or a medical condition why are three out of four deceased, at an early grave? doesn't make sense...
Old 07-24-2006, 06:34 PM   #27
EbonySSBBW
California Dreams

EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comngetmeFA
if it is solely genetics or a medical condition why are three out of four deceased, at an early grave? doesn't make sense...
The point is this: you don't know their story or anything about them. What if they had weight loss surgery and died from complications of that? I don't know if they have all passed or the reasons behind it (it might have been related to their weight). I guess I just actually find out about people and situations before I arrive at any conclusions...that's just me. I can tell you this though, I now understand why fat discrimination will never go away. How will we ever change things with non fat people if the people in this very community don't even get it?

And Les Toil, of course fat people don't get fat from eating salad every day. I've been fat my whole life and I come from a middle class family and I did not grow up eating fast food every night for dinner...your explanation is not always the case. Genetics do play a role and my dad's side is fat...all of us kids carry extra weight. That coupled with a slow metabolism and a food addiction (that didn't just include unhealthy foods) are the reasons for my size.

For you to look at that picture and make those statements about them based on just that picture is plain silly. Someone might capture a picture of me in Vegas this week pigging out at a buffet. Does that mean that I eat that way every day? Hell no! I really can't believe that I'm having this discussion with people in this community. How sad!

"The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts" Marcus A. Antoninus

"If I were asked to give what I consider the single most useful bit of advice for all humanity, it would be this: Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life, and when it comes, hold your head high. Look it squarely in the eye, and say, I will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me" Ann Landers

Last edited by EbonySSBBW; 07-24-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:30 PM   #28
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

But at the end of the day..this mother let those cameras into her house..and while I am ALL for talking about how complicated this(and about a billion other)situations in life can be...let's not navel gaze to the point of NEVER seeing any personal responsibility..I have to do that with myself..and it is not pretty at times..but...but...but...

Leonard..give me a break..that is like saying that nowadays people do not know how horrible cigarettes are for you..I do not doubt that her daughters might very well be(have been) big people...but you cannot place most of this on genetics...would you have the same understanding and compassion for parents who do not feed their children enough??..because..they just don't understand?...I feel for and understand the judging that goes on when it comes to fat.....but let's not be blind to situations like this...

and no doubt...this photo should not sum up the lives of 4 human beings...let's just be honest here...
Old 07-24-2006, 11:52 PM   #29
Leonard
Large Marge sent me.

Leonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossystate
Leonard..give me a break..that is like saying that nowadays people do not know how horrible cigarettes are for you..I do not doubt that her daughters might very well be(have been) big people...but you cannot place most of this on genetics...would you have the same understanding and compassion for parents who do not feed their children enough??..because..they just don't understand?
I think my genetics comment drew attention away from the point I was trying to make. I can easily see a mother say to herself, "I've always been a big girl, it makes sense that my daughters would be too". That's all I meant. The fact of the matter is, people do justify certain things by saying they run in the family. If a child is extremely thin, the mother might justify it by saying "he's just like his father, such a string bean growing up!"

I'm pretty sure that made sense. Perhaps there's a better way I could articulate it.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:54 PM   #30
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySSBBW
For you to look at that picture and make those statements about them based on just that picture is plain silly. Someone might capture a picture of me in Vegas this week pigging out at a buffet. Does that mean that I eat that way every day? Hell no! I really can't believe that I'm having this discussion with people in this community. How sad!
So true! The pic might be cute but it's SO staged. I saw it years back in the National Enquirer or Weekly World News fer chrissake! (I forget which one but it was one of the trashy supermarket tabloids.) Believing it makes as much sense as taking all characters in TV commercials at face value.

And Smurftums in Tasmania, I appreciate you de-lurking for this thread and I enjoyed your story about anthrax spores making the search through the newspaper archives impossible, but I'm skeptical.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:51 PM   #31
wabullets

wabullets can now change their title

Why does everyone assume they are dead because of their weight? Not that I wish bad on anyone........but they could have been in an accident.....hit by a bus.....murdered.....or whatever. No where in the article (unless I have overlooked something) does it say anyone died to due to being overweight or related issues.

Also, being that it is the National Examiner everyone is talking about.....and things being staged...maybe the mom is being photographed with "actors" using the real daughters names for the sake of selling magzines. Like Ebony and Miss Toddles have said you can not go bashing people with out knowing any of the circumstances
Old 07-26-2006, 09:11 PM   #32
Leonard
Large Marge sent me.

Leonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I was thinking the same thing last night, wabullets. The bottom line is it's all speculation. Though it certainly is a streak of awful luck if the mother and two of the three daughters are dead.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:58 PM   #33
GWARrior

GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabullets
Why does everyone assume they are dead because of their weight? Not that I wish bad on anyone........but they could have been in an accident.....hit by a bus.....murdered.....or whatever. No where in the article (unless I have overlooked something) does it say anyone died to due to being overweight or related issues.

Also, being that it is the National Examiner everyone is talking about.....and things being staged...maybe the mom is being photographed with "actors" using the real daughters names for the sake of selling magzines. Like Ebony and Miss Toddles have said you can not go bashing people with out knowing any of the circumstances
who the hell is bashing? jebus you people are crazy.

IMHFO. the fact that the mother let the National freakin Enquirer takes pics of her and her "daughters" is stupid. shame on her.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:16 PM   #34
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWARrior
IMHFO. the fact that the mother let the National freakin Enquirer takes pics of her and her "daughters" is stupid. shame on her.
Not necessarily so. First, they probably were paid OK and they DO look adorable in the pic. Second, I don't believe the "story" nor the newly brought-to-light "info" on this thread.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:38 PM   #35
GWARrior

GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaclear
Not necessarily so. First, they probably were paid OK and they DO look adorable in the pic. Second, I don't believe the "story" nor the newly brought-to-light "info" on this thread.

paid or not, it was stupid. the national enquirer sucks.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:41 PM   #36
Santaclear
User

Quote:
paid or not, it was stupid. the national enquirer sucks.
This thread sucks and is stupid too. Yet we're both reading it.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:44 PM   #37
GWARrior

Quote:
This thread sucks and is stupid too. Yet we're both reading it.

kinda funny huh.

she exploited her children, for them to be ridiculed by thousands... for some money? not cool.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:46 PM   #38
Santaclear
User

Quote:
kinda funny huh.

she exploited her children, for them to be ridiculed by thousands... for some money? not cool.
Maybe they're poor. Maybe it doesn't bother them. Maybe they're not her children. I'm not ridiculing them.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:48 PM   #39
GWARrior

Quote:
Maybe they're poor. Maybe it doesn't bother them. Maybe they're not her children. I'm not ridiculing them.

because you happen to be on a fat acceptance board. derrrr
Old 07-27-2006, 12:00 AM   #40
Santaclear
User

Quote:
because you happen to be on a fat acceptance board. derrrr
No, that isn't why I'm not ridiculing them. It's because I don't believe everything I read nor make ANY assumptions about a stupid pic in the National Enquirer. They might be actresses. We don't know.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:02 AM   #41
GWARrior

Quote:
No, that isn't why I'm not ridiculing them. It's because I don't believe everything I read nor make ANY assumptions about a stupid pic in the National Enquirer. They might be actresses. We don't know.

you didnt understand me, but thats ok.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:45 AM   #42
Santaclear
User

Quote:
you didnt understand me, but thats ok.
I understood you just fine. My point is that for anyone to assume ANYTHING about that pic and based on that to pontificate about mothers exploiting children or child abuse and it's horrors is um, moronic.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:38 AM   #43
steely

steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Judge not lest ye be judged.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:46 AM   #44
mossystate

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

As one of those moronic pontificating mofo's..I say..this is size acceptance run amok...serious..like I said in a previous post,these human beings should not be reduced to one photograph..of course not!!..but let's get real..me thinks the preferences of some are getting in the way of things..and to me..THAT is not just moronic, but downright sad...no matter what, at the end of the day, this mother did not do a good job of things..I feel for her,I do, she might have had severe mental health issues..etc..but don't let your desires or defenses get in the way of clear thinking...now, I have some traffic to play in...
Old 07-27-2006, 06:35 PM   #45
Paul Fannin
On Timeout

Paul Fannin is a member of the 500 clubPaul Fannin is a member of the 500 clubPaul Fannin is a member of the 500 clubPaul Fannin is a member of the 500 clubPaul Fannin is a member of the 500 clubPaul Fannin is a member of the 500 club

I agree Monique and I felt compelled to say so
Old 07-28-2006, 05:17 PM   #46
ripley

ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.ripley has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Before you all cast your stones, look in the mirror. A lot of the people here spouting this stuff are fat themselves. If you can't even control your own weight (when obviously you know everything about nutrition) how would you guarantee your kids wouldn't be fat? Perhaps (like me) this woman tried everything she could think of to lower her own weight, and was really concerned about her daughter's health? Perhaps (like me) these girls gained weight after puberty, and (like me) would listen to just about nothing their mother said? Is my mother a child abuser because I am SS? Or is she absolved because she's a normal weight, and it's all my fault?

A lot of the posts in this thread make me very uneasy. I thought this would be one place where "Blame the fat" wouldn't be the knee-jerk response. No one knows why they died. It's a shame that even here there is such a stereotypical fat-negative vibe.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:34 AM   #47
mossystate

I have looked in the mirror...lots..maybe that is why I feel ok about what *I* said.Like I have said, these women are not just one picture..they are complex human beings...etc..etc.etc.....but this mom should NOT have allowed this picture to be taken.We could switch out fat and in its place put kids who were very underweight..kids who were very unhealthy for a variety of reasons..and I could feel compassion that the parent(s) might themselves be suffering from depression..anxiety...or are angoraphobic..bi-polar...etc..etc..etc......but at the end of the day?...a person who decides to bring children into this world...ummm..they have a BIT of responsibility to find help when help is needed...and we as a society need to help them find what they need.I agree, just judging them is not going to make matters better, but it IS a natural reaction, when you see children being neglected.It is not an unusual thing for a parent with problems to want their children in the same boat..for company(is it more complex than that?..yes..but let's not be afraid to see in this situation what you would see in a myriad of others)
If she thought that the picture being taken might get her the help she needed..then I feel so very sorry for her.But I cannot erase the feeling that she did her children one more disservice...may they rest in peace.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:00 AM   #48
Ulysses

Ulysses can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesUlysses can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Does anyone have any information (at all) about the contents of this article besides this one picture - with weights displayed? I remember reading this same article long ago (and was deeply..hm..stimulated by it. Boyhood.) and can just remember few fragments of info.

1) I remember that the "lightest" of the bunch, Kenethia 445lbs., was the only one who still could fit herself into family's car. So she was their main link into the world outside and did most if not all their shopping.

2) At least one of them used a wheelchair for mobility. I'm half guessing here, but I think it was the mother, Myrtle - 570lbs.

3) Youngest, Teriney 507lbs. and probably also Katrina, 604lbs. were forced to drop out from school because they couldn't fit into their desks anymore. Think about that, and think about how hard it must have been before they finally decided to stay home..

4) The reason they got into the newspaper in the first placewas that they were pretty desperate to lose weight and wanted some help. I recollect that Richard Simmons were doing a weight-loss plan for them. So all the talk here about how bad a mother she was can be met with at least this defence: She tried to do something about the situation. Maybe letting photographers in to do a stupid article wasn't just for money, I think it was a sort of a desperate attempt to get some help from somewhere.

EbonySSBBW (and MissToodels), I totally get what you are saying here. Even if their deaths were somehow connected to their obesity (which is, sadly, still quite propable) I certainly don't have the will to condemn the mother (or her daughters). Nobody chooses to die because of obesity (if that was the cause of death, which we don't know..) like nobody chooses alcoholism or any other non-voluntary plight. It just happens. Our wills aren't as free as we'd like them to be.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:58 AM   #49
Rainahblue

Rainahblue makes people happy simply by logging inRainahblue makes people happy simply by logging inRainahblue makes people happy simply by logging inRainahblue makes people happy simply by logging inRainahblue makes people happy simply by logging inRainahblue makes people happy simply by logging inRainahblue makes people happy simply by logging inRainahblue makes people happy simply by logging inRainahblue makes people happy simply by logging inRainahblue makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley
...A lot of the posts in this thread make me very uneasy. I thought this would be one place where "Blame the fat" wouldn't be the knee-jerk response. No one knows why they died. It's a shame that even here there is such a stereotypical fat-negative vibe.
It is a shame isn't it? Maybe our society's mentality has affected some of us more than we'd care to admit.

I am always amazed and appalled by those who feel absolutely no qualms in judging people they donít even know. Iíve never felt comfortable doing that and I still donít understand the mentality behind assumptions. From one photo - a photo staged by a magazine infamous for their slanted stories - that many of you didnít see until today, you deem that a woman is a bad mother, unethical, and unconcerned about the welfare of her children? From one photo, their lifelong diets and habits are obvious, and from their hairstyles, we can determine what sort of neighborhood they live in???

This is beyond ridiculous and reminds me of the ignorance Iíve encountered throughout my own life.
From my gender, people have assumed that Iím helpless.
From my skin tone, people assume that Iím uneducated.
From my weight, people assume that Iíd rather take the elevator than the stairs.

I loathe presumptuousness.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:19 PM   #50
mossystate

Rainahblue,if I saw a picture of a small child locked in a car(or unlocked car) while the parent on dutywas not on the scene, you better BELIEVE I would judge that parent!!!!!!!!!!!
Now, would I then, after my inital anger, look at all the issues surrounding the very image or information which boiled my blood in the first place?....of course.So, seems you are doing the very thing you hate..you are lumping all of us 'horrible' people together.
I think there can be at least WHISPERS of taking some personal responsibilties for our lives, and certainly the lives of human beings we decide to bring into this world.I find the whole situation sad beyond belief..on so many levels.I wish that mom could have gotten help for herself and her babies.
Ulysses, you mentioned alcoholism.While I am the first person to see all those layers of an onion(much to the irritation of many I know), if that alcoholic got into a car and rammed it into another car..full of people not drinking and driving..you would not just say.."gee, he/she had an addiction"...and neither would I.I would get around to that, trust me(onion peeler that I am), but I would feel A LOT of anger that this person got into a car and killed other human beings.
I also understand that my comments about this woman came from my initial reaction to what I saw..and Rainahblue and a few others have reacted to ME the same way...sooooo..now that I hope we understand the layers involved in situations liek this..we can understand why we ALL feel/felt the way we do/did.Pretending we don't see something never solves anything...and to never feel any compassion is the biggest killer of them all.
Closed Thread