Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 06-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
pbgainer

pbgainer has said some nice things
Default Battling Heartburn--any suggestions?

I've had a good run so far--I started gaining intentionally back in Dec. of 2011... so far I've gained 50 pounds... gone from 215-265. I'm loving every thing about this journey--except for the heartburn I've been getting -- a lot.

I stuff until I feel awesomely full... I love to feeling... love to kick back in the recliner and rub my rock-hard stuffed tummy... but then, about 3 hours later I'm fighting horrible heartburn... If I eat after 6pm---I pay for it in the middle of the night. I know I could gain more if I could eat more.

Any suggesions... foods that are naturally less inclined to cause heartburn?

Thanks!
pbgainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

A lot of heartburn can be your own stomach acids, so food choice might only make a limited difference. Especially if it is hitting three hours later, because by that point most of the food should be out of your stomach and into your intestines. I wonder if after you've been so stuffed, your body starts making extra acid to deal with all that food, then once you've emptied out it is still pumping out lots of acid?

The one thing I could think of is to plan, 2.5-3 hours after the meal, on using antacids--before you get the heartburn?

(note I have no particular expertise or knowledge around heartburn, so this is mostly just speculation)
Old 06-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
BigFA

BigFA does more than just post hot picsBigFA does more than just post hot picsBigFA does more than just post hot picsBigFA does more than just post hot pics
Default Prylosec OTC

One Prylosec OTC a day took care of my heartburn. Get the generic equivalent that begins with a O (something like Ozylecpan sp?) which is Walgreen's generic. Box says don't use for more than 14 days but my doctor said I could take one pill in the morning indefinitely. Keeps my heartburn in check for 24 hours. Like you, I enjoyed gaining and went from 175 lbs. to 300 lbs.
BigFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
pbgainer

pbgainer has said some nice things

Awesome... you know--I don't battle heartburn nea as much when I'm maintainin my weight---it's just when I'm on a pushing to gain... perhaps I just need to chill a bit and gain slower.

But I could do the prylosec during big eating seasons... and lay off during maintenance seasons.

Thanks!
pbgainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
BigFA

BigFA does more than just post hot picsBigFA does more than just post hot picsBigFA does more than just post hot picsBigFA does more than just post hot pics
Default A Few More Heartburn Tips

Eating more smaller meals would help as well. You can pack in as many calories a day without having huge meals. Although like you I love the pleasure that comes from having a very full belly, something I call being "pleasantly stuffed". When you are stuffed and your belly is packed with food, heartburn occurs a lot easier when you lay down to sleep. Don't overstuff before going to bed. That may help as well. Soft drinks and coffee with caffeine can also cause heartburn. Good luck.
BigFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:31 AM   #6
Jim Miller

Jim Miller never has a post go unnoticedJim Miller never has a post go unnoticedJim Miller never has a post go unnoticedJim Miller never has a post go unnoticedJim Miller never has a post go unnoticedJim Miller never has a post go unnoticedJim Miller never has a post go unnoticed

There may be specific foods that contribute more than their fair share to your heartburn. For example, I know that for me canned ravioli is almost guaranteed heartburn. You can try selectively filtering foods out of your diet and then reintroducing them to see if there are any leading culprits.

I've always had heartburn problems regardless of my weight; it runs in the family. I just keep a good supply of antacids on hand for the minor stuff, Alka-Seltzer at home and Tums or Rolaids in my pocket when I go out.

I take an all-day pills like famotidine or ranitidine when it's especially bad or when I know I'll be eating heartburn-inducing foods in the course of the day. Don't mix both basic antacids and the all-day pills.

A tip: When you take the basic antacids, and afterwards, don't burp. It kills their effectiveness.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
KittyKitten
Nerdysillysweetspicysaucy

KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!

Unfortunately, heartburn is sometimes caused by weight gain where the stomach expands and pushes into the lower esophagus, making acid leak out. I've read that a tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar (with the bacteria unfiltered) in a cup of water helps with the heartburn.

Last edited by KittyKitten; 06-26-2013 at 06:32 PM.
KittyKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
GainingGloria

GainingGloria has said some nice things

I dont know if you guys get Gaviscon Advance over in the US, but that's what I use, in liquid form. Has to be prescribed by your doctor though. I wouldn't take anything else
GainingGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
instantkarma
we all shine on

instantkarma can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesinstantkarma can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesinstantkarma can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I take Dexilant for heartburn and it works wonderfully, no heartburn, even when I eat tomatoes, onions, spicy foods...but it does have to be prescribed by a doctor.
instantkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
veggieforever
High Carb Low Fat Vegan

veggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging in

Try a glass of milk (soy or dairy, whatever your pref) and if that fails I have been told peppermints work a treat!xXx
Old 07-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
KittyKitten
Nerdysillysweetspicysaucy

KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieforever View Post
Try a glass of milk (soy or dairy, whatever your pref) and if that fails I have been told peppermints work a treat!xXx
No, that's the worst thing to do. Milk would cause to stomach to produce even more acid later on. I think peppermints help more to settle the stomach, but not for heartburn.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
Diana_Prince245
Wise as Athena

Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Diana_Prince245 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKitten View Post
No, that's the worst thing to do. Milk would cause to stomach to produce even more acid later on. I think peppermints help more to settle the stomach, but not for heartburn.
Peppermint helps with nausea, not so much with heartburn.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

That chili cheese dog was calling your name, and now that you downed the entire thing in five minutes flat, heartburn and indigestion are making you wish you hadn't. That burning pressure in your chest is unbearable, and if you don't like reaching for over-the-counter meds like Zantac, take advantage of a natural remedy — papaya.

This tropical fruit encourages digestion, eases indigestion (and constipation), and is known to relieve heartburn. The magic is in the enzymes papain and chyomopapain, which break down proteins and soothe the stomach by promoting a healthy acidic environment.

You can reap the benefits by eating fresh papaya or drinking fresh juice, but these options are not always convenient when heartburn hits. Also, eating unripe papaya may lead to uterine contractions making the fruit off-limits for the many pregnant women who suffer from heartburn. Since I should be counted among the pregos plagued with digestive issues, I found some papaya extract tablets that contain ripened papaya fruit with papain, amylase, and protease enzymes. I keep the little $3 tube in my purse, and when I eat something I know won't sit well, I chew one tablet. I'm amazed at how well it works

Source:
Popsugar Fitness

[SIGPIC]http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/image.php?u=841&type=sigpic&dateline=1258169105[/SIGPIC]
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:24 AM   #14
veggieforever
High Carb Low Fat Vegan

veggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Worked wonders for me in the past! xXx
Old 09-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
kendall

kendall has said some nice things
Default caution

Some are genetically endowed with both the craving to grow erotically obese and the guts to overeat enough to surpass 500 lbs and eat more and grow fatter with no ill effects. others will experience gastrits, reflux, the ulceration
of digestive tissue and eventually cancer. for some the antacids and more complex drugs will be the fix but generally a short term, 5-25 year, fix.

if you do not have a 'cast iron' stomach and you are , say 25, you are risking irreversible damage by 50 plus or earlier. yes, its thrilling to become a huge feedee. to be blunt you might choose to take the risk of medicating now and choosing a painless quick death when things go seriously wrong.

the truth is not popular. only born feedees can stuff and fatten for life. on the other hand, we may not have that many years left at this point in history and maybe medicating 'heartburn' and blowing up as big as you want is to embrace your passion in the twilight of the age. live for today; know the risk.
kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
BigCutieMiley

BigCutieMiley can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesBigCutieMiley can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Depending on what I eat, I can get wicked bad heartburn. Honestly I usually just take zantac, about 300 mg, when I know I'm about to eat something acidic. I take it an hour before I eat and then wait for it to settle in...and then go crazy
BigCutieMiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
Ojiryojoji

Ojiryojoji can now change their title

One thing I might mention is something I am dealing with currently. I have never had heartburn in my life until about two months ago. It was pretty serve and was near constant even while taking acid reducers and was showing no sign of letting up. I eventually when to the doctor to ask about it and after a blood test it turns out I have a stomach bacteria called H. Pylori. I'm currently still on antibiotics for it but my symptoms have certainly lessened so I am hopefully the treatment has worked.

If your problem persist it might be something worth looking into.
Ojiryojoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #18
AmyJo1976
Corpulently Content

AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Unfortunately, heartburn is sometimes caused by weight gain where the stomach expands and pushes into the lower esophagus, making acid leak out. I've read that a tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar (with the bacteria unfiltered) in a cup of water helps with the heartburn.
I second this option. If you do it on a daily basis like say taking vitamins it could stop you from having heartburn. I don't know how common that is, but I know two people who do it and it works for them. I also drink, pickle juice. Not for heartburn, I've never had it. I just like pickle juice
AmyJo1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:27 AM   #19
BigCutieBambi

BigCutieBambi can now change their title

I have extreme heartburn and I take a pills prescribed from the doctor.

I haven't gone through all the answers on here, but I thought I might just add my opinion!

-Bambi xx
BigCutieBambi is offline   Reply With Quote