Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 07-09-2013, 05:36 AM   #1
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Things we can't eat

My mum came home with a lovely treat for me yesterday evening; a mixed mushroom chowmein from ASDA. Unfortunately it had shiitake mushrooms in it and as I am allergic to them I couldn't eat them.

So it got me thinking, what can or don't you eat and why?

- I am a vegetarian
- I am dairy intolerant
- I am allergic to oyster, shiitake and oriental mushrooms
- I don't eat soft mints, dolly mixture or chocolate readybrek because they make me feel weird.
- I can't have airwaves chewing gum because I am mildly allergic to menthol.
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have an allergy, an intolerance, and a dislike.

- I'm allergic to a protein found in the skin of apples and related fruits (peaches, pears, cherries). When I'm being hit be a lot of pollen allergies this will extend to almonds and carrots (almonds are apple family, carrots obviously aren't, but I don't know if they have the same protein or if it is another allergy). I can have just the flesh, and if they are cooked I seem to be OK (so for example, I can have apple sauce that was made with the whole apple)

- My "intolerance" has been classified as IBS by a nutritionist, but whatever the definition certain foods high in sulphur trigger problems. My worst triggers are:
- beer (especially dark), and to a lesser degree wine
- dehydrated onion or garlic (which are found in huge percentages of prepared food )
- peanuts
- to a lesser degree leafy greens and legumes (I can manage them in limited quantities, but no more lentil or chick pea based meals for me). Sadly this includes tofu.
- eggs. I eat an egg and ten minutes later I feel acutely nauseous. Even baked goods that are really high in egg can be an issue. Baked stuff that has an egg or two in a larger batch doesn't seem to be enough to cause a problem.
- high amounts of dietary fat also give me trouble, especially if I've been having some of the trigger foods....so if I've been good on eating low fat I can have some tofu in a stir fry without much trouble, but if I have a greasy burger and fries and it turns out that the burger was seasoned with onion or garlic salt (many are), then.....

- I'm not fond of a few textures, like watermelon or some custards. I can make myself eat them if I carefully don't think about the texture, but I'll never really enjoy them that much.

And all this from someone who loves food in general! Aside from the texture bit, all the stuff that I can't have, I love (well, eggs I only ever liked if they were cooked solid, but that was the texture thing again). I miss hummus SO much!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

I can only drink milk in small quantities,otherwise it makes me nauseous. Ice cream gives me the same problem, so you won't ever see me down a pint of ice cream.
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
snuggletiger
Clowns Fear Me

snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

for me once I hit 33 it became sausage, Bratwurst, knockwurst, kielbasa. Heck even mcdonald's sausage patties in the big breakfast gives me heartburn. The other ones I can eat, but an hour later its me running through a restaurant like OJ Simpson yelling "GANGWAYYY!!!!" as I run to the restroom.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Technically, I can eat high fructose corn syrup, but it does a number on my stomach, so I try to avoid it. I think I might be slightly dairy intolerant as I've never been able to stand the flavor of normal milk. It always gave me a weird aftertaste that made me feel queasy. So I now buy soy milk or some other substitute, but those weren't in schools when I was a kid. It was drink the milk or water, and I got yelled at by the teachers for not drinking the milk. However I don't seem to have any problems with cheese, which is quite odd. But I only eat it in small quantities.

Last edited by EMH1701; 07-09-2013 at 03:55 PM.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm lactose intolerant. Pretty massively so.
Can't eat anything at McDonald's. Every single thing from their menu makes me violently ill.
Basically the same with Burger King.
I have a come-and-go allergy to seafood and shellfish. Sometimes I can have it with no reaction, but most often I do react, so I just avoid it altogether.
Milk chocolate tends to make me sick.
Most bacon makes me sick.
Actually... almost anything made from pork will make me sick to some level.

That's about all I can remember for now. Lol.
CarlaSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Jah
Veggie girl

Jah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging in

Interesting topic!

I'm lactose intolerant. I occasionally eat small amounts of cheese. All other dairy food I eat are plant based (soymilk and soy yoghurt), including chocolate.
Some canned food gives me bile
Some fruit juices give me nausea.
Liquorice gives me nausea.
I can only have small amounts of alcohol due to my meds.
Jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #8
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Cheese apparently has less lactose in it that does equivalent amounts of milk (and harder cheeses generally less than softer cheeses), so often people who are lactose intolerant can handle some cheese. On the other hand, lactose shows up in all sorts of odd foods--like most flavoured potato chips. (my wife is lactose intolerant as well as having a reaction to one of the proteins in milk, but the latter took longer to figure out, so I got pretty educated on where lactose is and isn't before she realized she just had to avoid anything dairy-ish--including milk chocolate)
Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

-Being about 80% vegan eliminates a lot from my ability to eat. I say 80% cuz i do have cheese occasionally. I am working hard at eliminating it completely but i just love it
-I can't eat pineapple, it makes little painful sores in my mouth. I love pineapple too! If i eat a few pieces i'll be okay but i fear those little sores.
-peppers: They make me burp for days, nasty peppery burps.. Pretty sad since i really like peppers
- bananas: the texture just makes me gag. But i'm okay with baked goods with banana and i love banana-blueberry pancakes. I can't eat custardy things due to the texture too. Textures have to be just right or i can't eat them.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm severely allergic to mushrooms. Doesn't matter what kind.

High fat foods make me nauseous, excess salt will trigger vertigo attacks and hearing changes, and I just can't handle the texture of certain foods.

My dislikes are legion, and will dissect a dish to remove an ingredient that offends me. My OCD compels me to do this. I am a pain to cook for.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
breeislove

breeislove can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbreeislove can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbreeislove can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I can't do a number of fruits and veggies. Which is horrifying because 1) fruit is my favorite thing to eat and 2) I still eat these things even though I'm allergic.

Avocados seem to be the worst. They definitely make my mouth and tongue itch and my throat swell. But I could eat those babies all day long.

Bananas also kill me. They tend to leave sores in my mouth and again cause itchiness. I wish I knew why because I love bananas also.

Things like cherries tend to leave my mouth sore.

And finally onions. I love sautéed onions, especially in fajitas. Cooked onions don't bother me at all. But when they're raw, they seem to bother me a lot. I can't even cut an onion without crying from pain. It's a whole lot worse than regular onion tears, let me tell ya. Then if eaten raw, I will throw up. Can't figure out how to avoid it.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #12
SD007

SD007 does more than just post hot picsSD007 does more than just post hot picsSD007 does more than just post hot pics

Movie theater popcorn gives me headaches sometimes :/

And restaurant breakfast food makes me feel a bit nauseous.
SD007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #13
sweetfrancaise

sweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going on

I haven't spoken to a doctor about it (probs should...), but I can't eat raw carrots or zucchini without getting a massive stomach ache that lasts for hours. Same thing happened the last time I ate hummus, but I've yet to figure out what exactly set off my tummy!

And I really hate seafood. I'm pretty easy-going with most other things, though, except the odd vegetable (okra, eggplant) or food that's hot-spicy instead of tasty-spicy.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #14
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ah, yes. Seafood. The bane of my existence. The only seafood I will eat are the mild fishies. Tilapia, cod, mahi mahi, and the like. Anything that tastes fishy, as well as mollusks, crustaceans, cephalopods, and anything else of that nature are off my menu!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #15
Saoirse

Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!

Omg im so lucky to have no allergies and an iron stomach!
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:44 AM   #16
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

- Anything banana. I had a medical procedure where they put a scope down my esophagus into my stomach, and the drug they sprayed onto the back of my throat to kill my gag reflex tasted strongly of artificial banana. Almost 30 years later, banana still tops my "nope" list when it comes to food aversions.

- Green bell/sweet peppers. If I eat them raw I get heartburn, if I eat them cooked, I have pepper burps. It's only the green peppers, and only the sweet ones though. I can have red, orange, yellow, and brown/purple sweet peppers raw or cooked with no problems. And green chilies like jalapenos don't bother me at all, either.

- For medical reasons, I have to limit all carbohydrates and strongly restrict high glycemic foods. I can generally tolerate a couple portions of whole grain food every day or a portion of something sweet or starchy as a treat. And I can plan out splurges somewhat regularly, so it's not so much a hardship as just something I just have to keep on top of.

- I cannot eat much fried or oily food without having bad digestive system issues. But it's hit and miss as to which restaurants cause a problem. I can eat wings from one place, but if I go to another I'm going to have a really bad time. I can eat stirfry from some places just fine, but others cause trouble every single time. Fast food burgers and fries are pretty much a no-go no matter where, but I can eat the same thing at many diners and specialty burger restaurants and be okay. Breaded fried food is not my friend no matter where I eat it, so I have to really limit how much of it I eat.

- Aspartame causes a really weird reaction if I have more than trace amounts (like in a stick of gum or a mint). If I drink a soda with aspartame or use a packet of Nutrasweet in coffee or tea, I'll have this weird feeling in my head like the verge of a migraine that just never happens.

Tracy
Old 07-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #17
Oona
¬.¬

Oona has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Oona has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Oona has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Oona has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Oona has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Oona has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Oona has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Oona has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Oona has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Oona has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Oona has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

-Anything Spicy is a no go. Not because I don't like it, but because the mildest spices cause me physical illness and extreme pain. Not heart burn like pain, but "ohmygod someone is stabbing me from the inside out" pain.

-Dairy. Anything more than 8 ounces in a 6 hour period causes extreme pain to my insides. I once ate a larger than normal bowl of ice cream and was rushed to the ER at 2AM because I though I was dying. Turns out its severe lactose intolerance. That was a fun way to find out. -insert dramatic eye roll here-

-Mushrooms. Screw that chewy, slimy texture. No thank you.
Oona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #18
Mckee

Mckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized rep

I dont' have any food allergies...but I cannot eat mint. I just don't like it.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #19
Tad
mostly harmless

I love this thread.....maybe misery loves company or something, but I'm feeling better about my list, just knowing how many other people have lists of their own.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #20
breeislove

breeislove can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbreeislove can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbreeislove can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
I love this thread.....maybe misery loves company or something, but I'm feeling better about my list, just knowing how many other people have lists of their own.
i was thinking the exact same thing. it's good to know you're not alone!
breeislove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #21
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I forgot i can't eat french fries. If i eat more than a few i get a sour stomach and just feel icky for many many hours.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #22
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

My friends and family joke that my list of "can't/won't eat" is shorter than my list of "can/will eat". When I tell people about my allergies, I get the up-and-down once over, as if someone fat can't have food aversions.

I'm allergic to wheat, corn, soy, potatoes, tomatoes, strawberries, bananas, green beans, peas, peanuts, shellfish, chocolate, mushrooms, etc etc etc.... but mostly I just avoid the stuff that makes me feel like crap. Some of my symptoms are itchiness or hives. Some are projectile vomiting. [Yes, really.] Other foods make me stuffed up or give me gastrointestinal issues. If I love the food, I decide whether or not to tolerate the symptoms. [Ahem, chocolate... peanut butter....] Certain items I can handle better cooked or processed better than close to their natural state.

But I'm also really picky about texture of foods. I cannot handle having fat on my meat. Ick. Slimy and ick. I'm not a fan of celery, nothing to do with the taste.

Drives people nuts.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #23
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
Omg im so lucky to have no allergies and an iron stomach!
Me too. I'll eat anything that doesn't eat me first.

(But I dislike boiled cucumbers. )
Old 07-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #24
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post

(But I dislike boiled cucumbers. )
You need to move to Oklahoma: we fry everything here.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #25
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
Ah, yes. Seafood. The bane of my existence. The only seafood I will eat are the mild fishies. Tilapia, cod, mahi mahi, and the like. Anything that tastes fishy, as well as mollusks, crustaceans, cephalopods, and anything else of that nature are off my menu!
Are you also on a daily regimen of fish oil capsules?

(I take 4g (4800mg) daily. meh.)