Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 09-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
TearInYourHand
Mistress Member

TearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Low Glycemic Index

Hi All!
I have some health issues that I have to eat low glycemic index- basically no white stuff (bread, rice), but lots of whole foods, and whole grains. Slowly digesting carbs. Anyone else have to or like to eat this way and have any good recipes or ideas?

Tear
Old 09-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I try to live this way. I eat a lot of whole grain brown rice mixed with beans or meat and veggies as a staple. You can always substitute quinoa or couscous for rice if you want to. Brown rice is quite versatile and you can mix in a lot of stuff with it. Essentially, just follow the directions on your rice bag/box for cooking and throw in the other ingredients. I like hot sauce for flavoring, but you can use other seasonings if you want to.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Sounds all too familiar, and you have my sympathy. Since there's a health food store only half a mile from me, I have no trouble getting whole grain bread, cereal, and pasta. I refuse to eat brown rice, though: I DO have my standards. As a vegetarian, I pretty much base each meal on a starch of some kind; I think it helps to vary them and alternate between wheat, rice, corn, and potato (I'm not yuppie enough to embrace quinoa yet) on a daily basis.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

What's wrong with brown rice? There are whole grain varieties of it.

Some of us cannot afford to go to Whole Foods on a regular basis. Yeah, there's stuff I like there, but Whole Foods = whole paycheck.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
What's wrong with brown rice? There are whole grain varieties of it.
Brown rice tastes like it's already been through somebody's digestive tract. Other than that, it's fine.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I suggest this site, it's a blog full of really healthy, whole food type recipes. You can always add the meats and other things you like to it, so don't let the vegan part throw you off. I use her site a lot since i am following the Eat To Live diet (google it if you're interested). Even when i wasn't doing the extreme, whole food diet, i used her site. The recipes are really yummy and mostly plant based so not terribly starchy.
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/
Old 09-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

" Brown rice tastes like it's already been through somebody's digestive tract. Other than that, it's fine. "

I'm not much of a fan either.

Also, I've found that ALL rice, be it brown, red, black, or white, short grain or long grain, causes my blood glucose to spike. So, nowadays when I get a craving for rice, I just cook good old white Basmati, or the multi-variety whole grain rice blend I like and enjoy it as a special treat.

But when I was still regularly eating brown rice, I found that toasting the raw rice in a little oil before cooking, like you'd do with pilaf or Mexican rice, greatly improved the flavor and texture of the finished product.

Tracy
Old 11-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm a fan of Basmati rice. mmm There's a brown rice variety and if you soak the rice in cold water for 15 minutes before boiling for whatever the package recommends...the flavor is wonderful and the rice is fluffy.
FatAndProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I like wild rice, farro and quinoa (technically, it's a seed) and love basmati. I'm not a fan of brown rice either, but it's not quite as unpalitable if you add a tiny bit (it's strong) of sesame oil, garlic and salt to the cooking liquid. Don't be afraid to cook grain in stock either. It helps out the flavor a lot, as do herbs. Sometimes I add small amounts of salsa verde to the cooking liquid. There are lots of options these days for mixed grain breads and cereals, and blending them can create something more palatable. Also, adding seeds (poppy, sesame) or toasted nuts after cooking grain can be good for flavor and interesting for the texture.

Last edited by one2one; 11-24-2013 at 02:57 PM.
one2one is offline   Reply With Quote