Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 09-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
Ssaylleb

Ssaylleb can now change their title
Default Global fat scale

Came across an interesting page on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328

Basically enter your stats & country and it gives you a broad comparison across the world.

For instance I am relatively light for my age/gender in my own country (70% are fatter than me).

However, I'm from a fat country as in turn I am fatter than 64% of all males in the world

More pleasingly, "If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would add 23,831,594 tonnes tothe total weight of the world's population"

Now that's a goal :-)
Ssaylleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have seen this before, great way of making people who are of an average and healthy weight feel like they have to lose weight in my opinion because it tells them most of the world is thinner than them.

I apparently have a BMI higher than 97% of women my age in my country. Damn all 175lbs of me! Oh and apparently that is higher than 99% of the world that are my age! Who knew that weighing more than 175lbs was something only 1% of the population of twenty something year old women did?
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Cool site Ssaylleb! Thanks for the link

Loopy, I wouldn't read too much into it. Yah, if you travel to some parts of the world, people are mostly really slightly built (in a lot of Asian countries they've modified the 'overweight' and 'obese' BMI values because of the average light build). On the other hand, who knows how accurate some of the data is, too?

One thing you'll see when travelling around, too, is that distributions in countries are never close to even. That you are fatter than a certain portion of women in your age range in the country doesn't mean that your size, or the size of the people around you, or how any of you feel about that, has changed.

And given their broad age ranges, I love that last year I would have been fatter than 91% of the men in my age range in Canada, but this year, at the same weight, I'm only fatter than 87% of them. Who says there are no advantages to getting older?
Old 09-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
love handles

love handles can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeslove handles can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeslove handles can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I am most like a person from Tonga! I also have a BMI higher than 99% of other women of my age range in the world! It doesn't tell you so much because a person who weighed 40st more than me would still have a higher BMI than 99% of other women in my age range. I actually underestimated my weight too as I haven't weighed myself in a while.
I secretly love things like this!!
love handles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
love handles

love handles can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeslove handles can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeslove handles can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Hu? Ok. If you put in 30st your BMI is apparently higher than 100% of people in the world. So basically if you weigh 30 stones you are the fattest person in the world. There boards would beg to differ.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love handles View Post
Hu? Ok. If you put in 30st your BMI is apparently higher than 100% of people in the world. So basically if you weigh 30 stones you are the fattest person in the world. There boards would beg to differ.
My 32st bf is going to be gutted that he doesn't exist.
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

After a little more playing around, I realized that the youngest age range is 15 to 29. In other words, they are averaging gangly teenager still getting over their growth spurt with full on adults. Yah, that will create some odd results.

On a whim I punched in my wife's stats at her heaviest, when she was 25--her BMI at the time was 38, weight in the lower half of the 200s, which is hardly small, but you certainly will see fatter people around at times....yet she was apparently fatter than than 100% of women in her age range in Canada and in the world. If only I'd know that I was married to the fattest woman in the World at the time!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
love handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
My 32st bf is going to be gutted that he doesn't exist.
Poor boyfriend!!. It's mental!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post

On a whim I punched in my wife's stats at her heaviest, when she was 25--her BMI at the time was 38, weight in the lower half of the 200s, which is hardly small, but you certainly will see fatter people around at times....yet she was apparently fatter than than 100% of women in her age range in Canada and in the world. If only I'd know that I was married to the fattest woman in the World at the time!
Hahaha Tad!!
Old 09-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
Ssaylleb

Ssaylleb can now change their title

haha of course these things are to be taken lightly. I can't imagine anyone went round the world measuring up everyone

Though on a more serious note, it is of concern that such stupid valueless sites could really set a vulnerable person off the deep edge.

Loopy for e.g clearly 175 lbs is barely above average in my opinion, so to get such a high result is ridiculous.

So, just for the record, I posted it here in fun. Now, more people check yours and report in, let's create the real Dimensions global fat scale
Ssaylleb is offline   Reply With Quote