Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 10-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
BigCutieLaurel

BigCutieLaurel knows EXACTLY what's going onBigCutieLaurel knows EXACTLY what's going onBigCutieLaurel knows EXACTLY what's going onBigCutieLaurel knows EXACTLY what's going onBigCutieLaurel knows EXACTLY what's going onBigCutieLaurel knows EXACTLY what's going onBigCutieLaurel knows EXACTLY what's going on
Default International food swap!

Based on a lot of food talk in the chat room, I thought it could be fun to have a food swap. We could send care packages to each other filled with awesome food specific to our country. Shipping may be a little pricey, but it's for a good cause (eating delicious new food). We may have to figure out a safe way of sending it out in regard to address', some people may be uncomfortable giving out their personal address. Anyways. I'm welcome to ideas. Who is keen?
BigCutieLaurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Sounds like a great idea!

But no Vegemite.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
BigCutieLaurel

BigCutieLaurel knows EXACTLY what's going onBigCutieLaurel knows EXACTLY what's going onBigCutieLaurel knows EXACTLY what's going onBigCutieLaurel knows EXACTLY what's going onBigCutieLaurel knows EXACTLY what's going onBigCutieLaurel knows EXACTLY what's going onBigCutieLaurel knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromond View Post

But no Vegemite.
Oh there will be vegemite! -maniacal laughter-
Old 10-03-2013, 02:54 AM   #4
GamerGainerGirl
SSBBW in progress

GamerGainerGirl carries a lot of weight on this boardGamerGainerGirl carries a lot of weight on this boardGamerGainerGirl carries a lot of weight on this boardGamerGainerGirl carries a lot of weight on this boardGamerGainerGirl carries a lot of weight on this board

I LOVE this idea!
GamerGainerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

But no Vegemite.
What about Marmite? I assure you, it's far, far superior!
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
Iannathedriveress
Random Heroine

Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

How about some Lamb?
Iannathedriveress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingembre View Post
What about Marmite? I assure you, it's far, far superior!
They're both brewer's yeast extract. I'm not seeing the difference.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
They're both brewer's yeast extract. I'm not seeing the difference.
Marmite is "meatier", less salty and generally more subtle. It also comes out of the jar all syrupy whereas Vegemite is much more of a paste. Obviously as a Brit I am biased, but I have come to the conclusion that, with either product, it's something you have to have been raised on. I don't think it's something you can come to as an adult. And probably not in the US where people generally seem to have a sweeter palate than in Europe.
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Old 10-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
spiritangel
AmandaClause

spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'll take promite over either of them anyday.

I would love to do this but I would only be able to cram what I could into a box-alope or two otherwise your looking at about $40 just to post a few things
Old 10-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've been told that marmite helps make a wonderful grilled cheese.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
GamerGainerGirl
SSBBW in progress

GamerGainerGirl carries a lot of weight on this boardGamerGainerGirl carries a lot of weight on this boardGamerGainerGirl carries a lot of weight on this boardGamerGainerGirl carries a lot of weight on this boardGamerGainerGirl carries a lot of weight on this board

Haha I like how the thread became about vegemite and the like xD

So what all countries could we get in on this? I am USA
GamerGainerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
Micara
Living and Learning

Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

This is an awesome idea.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
BigCutieLaurel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGainerGirl View Post
Haha I like how the thread became about vegemite and the like xD

So what all countries could we get in on this? I am USA
I am Australian. I'm thinking the best way to do is to pick someone who you want to do it with and PM them your address. You could agree on an ammount to spend if that makes you comfortable and agree a time frame in which to have the package sent off. If anyone has a different idea, please let me know =)
Old 10-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
Gingembre
radar detector

I will represent the UK if an American wants to swap some yeast-extract-free* British goods for some pumpkin flavoured things, and butterfingers!

*Not because it's not delicious and, yes Fuzzy, amazing when added to grilled cheese or mashed potato, but because it only comes in glass jars which are heeaaavvvy
Old 10-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #15
Dromond
Old school

Pumpkin flavored things and butterfingers. Hmm. When I finally get settled in my new place and get my finances sorted out, we'll see what I can do.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

I am so interested, Someone pick me, pick me...
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #17
Dromond
Old school

If someone could promise to send me some Dandelion and Burdock, I'll be your swap partner. I've heard it's similar to root beer in flavor. I want to taste for myself.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #18
BigCutieLaurel

I think it's a good idea if you're posting your first post here that you list your country and dietary requirements/allergies.

Dietary requirements: Deliciousness
Old 10-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #19
Dromond
Old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahlia View Post
I think it's a good idea if you're posting your first post here that you list your country and dietary requirements/allergies.

Dietary requirements: Deliciousness
Good point.

Dietary requirements: No mushrooms of any sort (allergic). Salty foods are bad. Sweets are good. Cookies/biscuits are fine (I'd love a package or ten of authentic jaffa cakes). Unique local sodas are welcome.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #20
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

Dietary requirements: no canned meat or fish.
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #21
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!

I've just been complaining because everything in the grocery sale paper this week is pumpkin flavored. Check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingembre View Post
I will represent the UK if an American wants to swap some yeast-extract-free* British goods for some pumpkin flavoured things, and butterfingers!

*Not because it's not delicious and, yes Fuzzy, amazing when added to grilled cheese or mashed potato, but because it only comes in glass jars which are heeaaavvvy
ConnieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #22
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Dietary requirements: no meats or sweets

I have pecans (already shelled) from my own tree to swap.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #23
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I had three pecan (puh-khan) trees in my yard when I was a kid. Saturday chores included shelling grocery sacks of pecans. I had no clue how much people pay for a 1/4 lb of those things.

I'll do anything for a black bottom pecan pie.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #24
Dromond
Old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I had three pecan (puh-khan) trees in my yard when I was a kid. Saturday chores included shelling grocery sacks of pecans. I had no clue how much people pay for a 1/4 lb of those things.

I'll do anything for a black bottom pecan pie.
For those across the pond, a pecan pie is a chess pie with pecans added.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #25
Gingembre
radar detector

As one of those across the pond, what on earth is chess pie?!