Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 02-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #26
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melian View Post
You know, I had the same question a while ago. I collaborated with a researcher who studied molecular mechanisms underlying eating disorders and some of her work overlapped with mine - she said that EDs don't tend to precipitate past the early 30's, and symptoms generally fade with age, provided that the ED was not so severe as to cause death (they normally do not reach that level).
In lay speak, what would "don't tend to precipitate past the early 30's" translate to? That is, does precipitate mean start, continue, something else? (I'm presuming it doesn't mean to fall out of the sky onto people?)
Old 02-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #27
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default ^That's interesting...

Because I would just intuitively look at comparisons to substance-abuse. Like how addicts can develop a functionality within their compulsion to use or abuse. Like an alcoholic gravitating toward a line of work where they can be drunk most of the time or living over a bar.

For an anorexic or bulimic or, especially, an exercise-bulimic, I would speculate that there are a good number of coping-mechanisms which might help to mitigate the noticeability of whatever condition. Things many of us wouldn't even normally conceive of without having lived with such a disorder or at least a person afflicted with it.

So, in that way, people can certainly continue to live and appear to thrive while still enduring and being affected by all kinds of difficulty....
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #28
PolarKat
Digital Sun tanning

PolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
In lay speak, what would "don't tend to precipitate past the early 30's" translate to? That is, does precipitate mean start, continue, something else? (I'm presuming it doesn't mean to fall out of the sky onto people?)
::GEEK MODE ENABLED::
"don't tend to precipitate.." = will not continue to be triggered...

Last edited by PolarKat; 02-05-2014 at 05:27 AM.
PolarKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:20 AM   #29
PolarKat
Digital Sun tanning

PolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarKat View Post
lost the stupid internet connection / can't edit
"don't tend to precipitate.." = will not continue to be triggered = effect does not go past.. usually something that occurs abrubtly and with a spread/diminishing effect like rain..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melian
studied molecular mechanisms underlying eating disorders and some of her work overlapped with mine
Was there any progress in the study/findings?

Last edited by PolarKat; 02-05-2014 at 06:23 AM.
PolarKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #30
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melian View Post
I collaborated with a researcher who studied molecular mechanisms underlying eating disorders and some of her work overlapped with mine
Damn, that's fucking hot.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #31
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
PolarKat basically got it. In psychiatric terms, "precipitate" usually refers to first incidence of disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
Because I would just intuitively look at comparisons to substance-abuse. Like how addicts can develop a functionality within their compulsion to use or abuse. Like an alcoholic gravitating toward a line of work where they can be drunk most of the time or living over a bar.

For an anorexic or bulimic or, especially, an exercise-bulimic, I would speculate that there are a good number of coping-mechanisms which might help to mitigate the noticeability of whatever condition. Things many of us wouldn't even normally conceive of without having lived with such a disorder or at least a person afflicted with it.

So, in that way, people can certainly continue to live and appear to thrive while still enduring and being affected by all kinds of difficulty....
That may be the case - it's hard to get an accurate estimate, and I think they mainly use hospitalization records and psychiatrist reports to document. Basically, there are fewer self-reports of new disease emergence, fewer hospitalizations, and the patients report disease remission, to a degree. That's what she was saying, at least - I can't personally vouch for it, because I never did that research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarKat View Post
Was there any progress in the study/findings?
I haven't spoken to this woman in ~2 years, because she changed institutions. The last time we corresponded, I advised her on some methods and possible gene targets, but am not sure what she decided to do. Should really look this up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Verde View Post
Damn, that's fucking hot.
Scientists get mad pussy.

Last edited by Melian; 02-11-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Melian is offline   Reply With Quote