Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA



Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #26
dodobird
 
dodobird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 16
dodobird can now change their title
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglynch View Post
I don't like kids. I find them irritating as hell.
THIS. I get such bizarre reactions when I tell people this. "But you were a child once!!!" What difference does that make? I didn't particularly like other children even then! I'm not advocating a cull of them, I just don't like to spend more time with them than I have to! And, uh, yes, that does extend to not wanting to produce any. I have no way of proving that it WON'T "be different when it's [my] own" but it seems like a hell of a risk for something I don't consider a reward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckee
I can't read ebooks on a tablet. I want a real book to hold in my hands and put on a shelf when I'm finished it.
Agreed. I wouldn't even say this opinion is unpopular, but then in recent years I have been both a literature student and employed at a book shop so my sample range may not be representative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone
And here is my most unpopular opinion... I feel no sympathy for the girl that was bitten to death by her family pet. 1. She is dead, she doesn't appreciate the sympathy. 2. The sympathy would be for her family but if they are stupid enough to leave a four year old in a room alone unsupervised with a large dog they picked up from the shelter the week before, it is their own stupid fault this happened. 99% of dog attacks are the fault of the person rather than the dog. Especially children, most of whom are like my uncle's kids and spend their lives pulling, poking, hitting and generally harassing the dog for months before it finally snaps. I also hate the 'there were no warning signs' crap. There are always warning signs before a dog bites somebody. If you are too stupid and ignorant to read them and still decide to leave your child alone with the dog, I have no sympathy for you.
Mostly agreed. I feel sorry for the kid because it wasn't her fault and now she's been robbed of the chance to do something with her life. But the issue of dangerous dogs does anger me. Even if it is the dog's fault, the dog was almost certainly mistreated to make it vicious. And yes, don't leave your child alone with a potentially dangerous animal. That shouldn't need to be said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigginZ
Christmas music is only acceptable in the month of December. Same thing goes for Christmas lights.
Oh my goodness yes. Every time I hear a Christmas song in OCTOBER WTF, another little piece of me dies.

Actually, that's my unpopular opinion: I hate Christmas. I don't want to. I miss loving it. But my last couple of Christmases have been a letdown and I don't see how it can NOT be a letdown with the ridiculous amount of hype it gets MONTHS IN ADVANCE. Everyone gets driven into an utter frenzy of shopping and excess and there's this pressure to have a PERFECT day full of WARMTH and LOVE with your family, so of course there's arguing and disappointment and bitterness. Or maybe that's just me. But I actually do love my family and get on pretty well with them now I've moved out, but I've stopped going back for Christmas because I just don't want to participate. I still get presents for them, but that's a whole barrel of stress by itself.

I do like the decorations, though. And The Muppet Christmas Carol. But then, I'm only human.
dodobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #27
Mckee
 
Mckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Milan, Italy
Posts: 199
Mckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized rep
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodobird View Post

Agreed. I wouldn't even say this opinion is unpopular, but then in recent years I have been both a literature student and employed at a book shop so my sample range may not be representative.
You are right, a little clarification is needed. I work in an high technology environment, and 90% of my colleagues are tech-nerd: always with the latest mobile, computer, tablet and so on.
When they see me reading newspapers or books, the common comment is: "Hey, we are in the 21th century you know?"
__________________
"You are a clown!"
"Ah, well, we can't all be lion tamers."
Mckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #28
Hozay J Garseeya
Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.
 
Hozay J Garseeya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,158
Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodobird View Post
Actually, that's my unpopular opinion: I hate Christmas. I don't want to. I miss loving it. But my last couple of Christmases have been a letdown and I don't see how it can NOT be a letdown with the ridiculous amount of hype it gets MONTHS IN ADVANCE. Everyone gets driven into an utter frenzy of shopping and excess and there's this pressure to have a PERFECT day full of WARMTH and LOVE with your family, so of course there's arguing and disappointment and bitterness. Or maybe that's just me. But I actually do love my family and get on pretty well with them now I've moved out, but I've stopped going back for Christmas because I just don't want to participate. I still get presents for them, but that's a whole barrel of stress by itself.

I do like the decorations, though. And The Muppet Christmas Carol. But then, I'm only human.
Same here, I'm not a fan of the "Season" simply due to the attitude of people. All year people piss and moan about bullshit, they're allholes and jerks, but come Christmas time everyone is in a great mood and wants to do good and what not. Come January 2nd, everyone is an asshole again. Fuck off.
__________________
Don't judge me based on your ignorance :wubu:
Hozay J Garseeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #29
dodobird
 
dodobird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 16
dodobird can now change their title
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckee View Post
You are right, a little clarification is needed. I work in an high technology environment, and 90% of my colleagues are tech-nerd: always with the latest mobile, computer, tablet and so on.
When they see me reading newspapers or books, the common comment is: "Hey, we are in the 21th century you know?"
Ah yes, so kind of the opposite end of the spectrum! Interestingly, I love gadgets as well, I just don't want them mixing with my reading materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozay J Garseeya
Same here, I'm not a fan of the "Season" simply due to the attitude of people. All year people piss and moan about bullshit, they're allholes and jerks, but come Christmas time everyone is in a great mood and wants to do good and what not. Come January 2nd, everyone is an asshole again. Fuck off.
Exactly. It's like how Valentines Day is stupid because you should show your love for your significant other all the time, not just because it's February 14th. If you believe in love and good deeds and like giving gifts to friends and family you should just do it, not temporarily lose your shit and then fall right back into curmudgeonliness afterwards.
dodobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #30
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei
 
Cobra Verde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The war rig
Posts: 1,019
Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBomb View Post
The War on Christmas is failing because we lack resolve.
Saying "Happy Holidays" and restricting Nativity displays on public property isn't working -- they've even broken through the line of Halloween!

Christmas lights show up quite well on drone cameras. I'm just sayin'.
It's freedom-haters like you that only allow me to celebrate Jesusmas 23 hours a day for a whole month instead of the 24 this nation was built upon!
__________________
"People tell you who they are, but we ignore it because we want them to be who we want them to be."
Cobra Verde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #31
CleverBomb
On Space Out
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,897
CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Verde View Post
It's freedom-haters like you that only allow me to celebrate Jesusmas 23 hours a day for a whole month instead of the 24 this nation was built upon!
For the first time in 152 years, and the last time ever (because the Hebrew and Julian calendars handle leap years differently so they'll diverge), the first day of Hanukkah falls on Thanksgiving this year.

Happy Thanksgivukkah!
CleverBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #32
bigmac
 
bigmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Redwood Coast
Posts: 10,364
bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default

Apparently liking kids is an unpopular opinion.

I like them -- most of the time.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #33
bigmac
 
bigmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Redwood Coast
Posts: 10,364
bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremerton View Post
here's mine: i have a dumbphone and have no intention of ever getting a smartphone/data plan.
Yes! Why pay hundreds of dollars for a phone that plays stupid games when you can buy a perfectly serviceable flip phone for less that $30.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #34
bigmac
 
bigmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Redwood Coast
Posts: 10,364
bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default

I hate Christmas shopping. I refuse to buy anything on Black Friday. I'm going to the beach.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #35
Mr Gosh
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 23
Mr Gosh can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMr Gosh can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default

Here's one that's probably going to enrage a few people but I don't care because I feel I am correct in what I'm going to say.

I blame Madeleine McCann's parents for her disappearance. Don't get me wrong, no doubt, whoever took her deserves a year spent in my company with my tools, a lot of booze and a cessation of taking my meds. As do whatever sick individuals he/she was colluding with but if an adult had been in the room then I very much doubt she would have been abducted.

I truly believe that if they weren't well respected doctors who are incredibly popular in "that social scene", and instead worked minimum wage jobs then they would have been charged at least with neglecting a child and would more than likely be serving time right now.

Anyone that leaves a child just shy of four years old unattended while they go for a meal is not fit to have children in there care.
Mr Gosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #36
Goreki
Fairy tales and Woe
 
Goreki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 987
Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default

Ukeleles are creepy as fuck.
__________________
If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck. You're out of luck.
Goreki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #37
Lil BigginZ
just a NORML guy
 
Lil BigginZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fullerton, NE
Posts: 1,199
Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreki View Post
Ukeleles are creepy as fuck.
You take that back!
__________________
facebook
Never say no to a panda

Last edited by Lil BigginZ; 11-26-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Lil BigginZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #38
Melian
Ultimate Chimera
 
Melian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,321
Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default

Oh....all my opinions are unpopular. Don't even know where to start.
__________________
Whaddya mean, "booze ain't food??"
Melian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #39
agouderia
Library Girl
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,100
agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melian View Post
Oh....all my opinions are unpopular. Don't even know where to start.
I think I know what you're talking about!
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #40
dodobird
 
dodobird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 16
dodobird can now change their title
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gosh View Post
Anyone that leaves a child just shy of four years old unattended while they go for a meal is not fit to have children in there care.
I have to agree with you there. Of course no one DESERVES what happened to them (and, much more importantly, what happened to Madeleine), but how can you leave a child that young alone with your two other (even younger!) children in a strange place so that you can go and have dinner with your friends?! Even if we lived in a world where no one did harm to children, what about the harm they can do to themselves at that age? I can't understand how they can have done what they did.
dodobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #41
Mr Gosh
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 23
Mr Gosh can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMr Gosh can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodobird View Post
I have to agree with you there. Of course no one DESERVES what happened to them (and, much more importantly, what happened to Madeleine), but how can you leave a child that young alone with your two other (even younger!) children in a strange place so that you can go and have dinner with your friends?! Even if we lived in a world where no one did harm to children, what about the harm they can do to themselves at that age? I can't understand how they can have done what they did.
Exactly the point I'm making. Surely it goes against every parental instinct to do that.
Mr Gosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #42
Tad
mostly harmless
 
Tad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,529
Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default

I don't think that pushing people and education systems to see more people get high school--and these days university-- diplomas really helps things. Offering appropriate educational options, including co-op, apprenticeship, and applied programs while still getting people some degree of academic instruction would, I think, result in a much more useful work force than what we are doing now. That those with high school degrees and university degrees made much more than those without what only partially about the education, but more about the people and situations involved. And frankly, even those who will take mostly academic training would probably benefit from more applied experience earlier in their lives.

tl;dr: I think Shakespeare is awesome, but I don't think he's a cure-all.
__________________
Criticism is so often nothing more than the eye garrulously denouncing the shape of the peephole that gives access to hidden treasure.
-Djuna Barnes, writer and artist
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #43
LeoGibson
Slangin'
 
LeoGibson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,356
LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default

'reI'm with Melian, most of my opinions are probably unpopular. At least around here anyways. But what the hell, I'm feeling a bit contrary today so I'll let a few of the milder ones out.

1. Geek culture. I find it incredibly tedious by this point. Especially people pretending to be nerds or geeks, or whatever and I know for a fact they're so dumb that they couldn't spell geek even if I spotted them the G,K, and one of the E's.

2. Sci-Fi. Doctor Who? I say more like Doctor Who gives a shit! I cannot think of one science fiction show I can point to that I find compelling or even watchable for more than 5 minutes. Yes that includes Star Wars and Star Trek and pretty much anything with aliens or alternate planets.

3. Zombies/Vampires/ Werewolves. I lump them all together as in they all suck. I'm ready for all of them to slink away and fall out of fashion again for another 20 years or so.

4. Video games- No I do not play video games. Why? Because I'm no longer a teenager. They hold no interest for me at all.

5. Comic book movies or really just comic books in general. Note; I'm not talking as much about graphic novels, I tend to view them on a case by case basis. I'm talking about stuff like Batman, Superman et al. Why you may ask? See reasoning for #4.

6. Males who are deep in their 20's or even 30's and who refuse to grow up. Dude, if you are in your 20's I would rather grind out my ear canals with a router before hearing you explain the intricacies of Pokemon to me. If you're over the age of 12 I don't even want to hear that name come out of your pie hole.

There are many, many more, but these are enough for now. Some of the others would really get the flames heading my way or even a timeout from this site.

Oh yeah, and if any of your sacred cows wound up on my barbecue pit here, please save us both some time and energy and don't bother trying to debate me or explain why you like any of the things I shat upon above and why I'm wrong. I mean this in the nicest way imaginable, if you want to argue about any of these, you can just go fuck right off! Have a glorious day.
__________________
From the tattoo on her left leg and the garter on her right. She'd have the card to bring me down
if she played it right

Last edited by LeoGibson; 11-27-2013 at 06:38 PM.
LeoGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #44
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist
 
Amaranthine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,438
Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default

Being a philosophy major sort-of requires me to be a pretentious douche about a number of things. I won't even bother being mild.

As far as substances go, alcohol is utterly terrible. If I were never drunk again in my life, I don't think I'd be missing a thing. I don't understand how someone can experience a hangover and happily partake again. There's a number of things I'd rank above it in terms of things that should be legal. Also, no more with the abstinence only drug education. It backfires something terrible. Just tell people how to handle things safely.

A popular argument against the pro-choice side is that infants aren't significantly different from fetuses, so if you support a woman's right to have an abortion you also support infanticide. So be it. And if you can tell a child has a life-changing disability or deformity before birth? I honestly don't think you're an amazing person for taking on the responsibility of raising it. Just have a normal one.

I don't see a problem with "designer babies." Eugenics doesn't have to be bad, does it?

People need to get a lot more comfortable with death. We do far too many things to prolong life at the total sacrifice of happiness. Life support? Treatments for (relatively quickly) terminal cancer and other diseases? Staying alive purely through a cocktail of prescription drugs? That's a lot of money for very little pay-out. We should focus on accepting that life doesn't go on forever, so enjoy it to the fullest while it's still around. Also, it's entirely beyond me why physician-assisted suicide isn't an option.

Most people fancy the idea of objective morality. I think it's purely a social phenomenon with evolutionary roots. Sure, you could formulate an objective set of rules IF you had a specific end-goal. But I don't think we have that. Most of the things people universally declare "wrong" are merely things that would contribute to the demise of a very newly formed civilization. The value we place on objects and actions is merely due to the emotions they elicit - it's all neutral in the end.

Hannibal is a good movie. Very good, in fact.

On that note...cannibalism doesn't seem like a bad solution to world hunger at all *shrug*

The harpsichord is a great instrument. Someone once showed me a group on Facebook along the lines of, "When I hear a harpsichord, it feels like a million tiny pins jabbing me." I found it infuriating.
__________________
"A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved."
Amaranthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #45
cinnamitch
nope
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,004
cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default

Basically agree with all of this. ESPECIALLY Sci-Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
'reI'm with Melian, most of my opinions are probably unpopular. At least around here anyways. But what the hell, I'm feeling a bit contrary today so I'll let a few of the milder ones out.

1. Geek culture. I find it incredibly tedious by this point. Especially people pretending to be nerds or geeks, or whatever and I know for a fact they're so dumb that they couldn't spell geek even if I spotted them the G,K, and one of the E's.

2. Sci-Fi. Doctor Who? I say more like Doctor Who gives a shit! I cannot think of one science fiction show I can point to that I find compelling or even watchable for more than 5 minutes. Yes that includes Star Wars and Star Trek and pretty much anything with aliens or alternate planets.

3. Zombies/Vampires/ Werewolves. I lump them all together as in they all suck. I'm ready for all of them to slink away and fall out of fashion again for another 20 years or so.

4. Video games- No I do not play video games. Why? Because I'm no longer a teenager. They hold no interest for me at all.

5. Comic book movies or really just comic books in general. Note; I'm not talking as much about graphic novels, I tend to view them on a case by case basis. I'm talking about stuff like Batman, Superman et al. Why you may ask? See reasoning for #4.

6. Males who are deep in their 20's or even 30's and who refuse to grow up. Dude, if you are in your 20's I would rather grind out my ear canals with a router before hearing you explain the intricacies of Pokemon to me. If you're over the age of 12 I don't even want to hear that name come out of your pie hole.

There are many, many more, but these are enough for now. Some of the others would really get the flames heading my way or even a timeout from this site.

Oh yeah, and if any of your sacred cows wound up on my barbecue pit here, please save us both some time and energy and don't bother trying to debate me or explain why you like any of the things I shat upon above and why I'm wrong. I mean this in the nicest way imaginable, if you want to argue about any of these, you can just go fuck right off! Have a glorious day.
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #46
Paquito
don't July to me
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,639
Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default

I thought Star Wars was really boring when I tried to watch it. I fell asleep about 10 minutes in, and I have no interest in giving it another chance.
Paquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #47
bremerton
uses ALL the buffalo
 
bremerton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ATX
Posts: 150
bremerton has super-sized repbremerton has super-sized repbremerton has super-sized repbremerton has super-sized repbremerton has super-sized rep
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther View Post
Here's mine: Pinterest is dumb, and boring.
i still use it sometimes, but i agree. i use it for what it was originally for- saving pictures of things you like or think are pretty. "art" "patterns" "cute animals" "pretty jewelry" but now it's just a bunch of diy crap and diet/exercise plans circlejerked amongst bored housewives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitScorpion View Post
Has anyone else but me noticed that as phones get "smarter", they get to be worse at "being phones", that is, with every new version of a smart phone, the sound quality becomes poorer and dropouts (including lost calls) become more frequent.
and surviving 3 ft drops off of tables.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzi View Post
I hate TexMex cuisine.
YOU MONSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodobird View Post
Actually, that's my unpopular opinion: I hate Christmas. I don't want to. I miss loving it. But my last couple of Christmases have been a letdown and I don't see how it can NOT be a letdown with the ridiculous amount of hype it gets MONTHS IN ADVANCE. Everyone gets driven into an utter frenzy of shopping and excess and there's this pressure to have a PERFECT day full of WARMTH and LOVE with your family, so of course there's arguing and disappointment and bitterness. Or maybe that's just me.
definitely not just you. couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
I don't think that pushing people and education systems to see more people get high school--and these days university-- diplomas really helps things. Offering appropriate educational options, including co-op, apprenticeship, and applied programs while still getting people some degree of academic instruction would, I think, result in a much more useful work force than what we are doing now.
as a person with a very worthless and very expensive piece of paper stating i graduated from college, i agree with you 100000x.
bremerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #48
loopytheone
Administrator
 
loopytheone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Robinhoodland
Posts: 3,466
loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default

I think that cheating in video games is immoral. A lot of people put in a lot of time and effort into making that game for you to enjoy and by using a device to just change that coding into whatever you like you are essentially sticking two fingers up at the people who designed that game. And given that you bought the game and care enough to want to cheat at it, something tells me you should be treating the programmers with more respect.

Exploiting glitches is fine to me because they are something that already exists within the coding of the game, intentional or not. And they are fascinating. I remember seeing a video online of somebody working with a save corruption glitch in pokemon red and managing to turn the whole program into what was basically a text based calculator instead of a game. Now that is awesome.

Come to think of it, the fact that I love pokemon is probably one of these unpopular opinions! I absolutely adore the games, many of my darkest hours growing up were relieved only by losing myself in that magical world where you can tame dragons and water gods and nobody can stop you because you are your friends are going to care for each other and grow together to become unstoppable! ...this emotional attachment to the games also probably explains why I never do competitive battling. It is just too cold and clinical for me.

Last edited by loopytheone; 11-27-2013 at 11:13 PM.
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #49
Lil BigginZ
just a NORML guy
 
Lil BigginZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fullerton, NE
Posts: 1,199
Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
I think that cheating in video games is immoral. A lot of people put in a lot of time and effort into making that game for you to enjoy and by using a device to just change that coding into whatever you like you are essentially sticking two fingers up at the people who designed that game. And given that you bought the game and care enough to want to cheat at it, something tells me you should be treating the programmers with more respect.

Exploiting glitches is fine to me because they are something that already exists within the coding of the game, intentional or not. And they are fascinating. I remember seeing a video online of somebody working with a save corruption glitch in pokemon red and managing to turn the whole program into what was basically a text based calculator instead of a game. Now that is awesome.

Come to think of it, the fact that I love pokemon is probably one of these unpopular opinions! I absolutely adore the games, many of my darkest hours growing up were relieved only by losing myself in that magical world where you can tame dragons and water gods and nobody can stop you because you are your friends are going to care for each other and grow together to become unstoppable! ...this emotional attachment to the games also probably explains why I never do competitive battling. It is just too cold and clinical for me.
I was 18 when I first started playing Pokemon. I was living with my sister and one Christmas my 2 nephews got Gameboys and Pokemon red & blue. Whenever they went to sleep I would take their Gameboy and play Pokemon all night. I've been hooked ever since. I also like playing the card game with them as well. Reminded me of my MTG fays back when I was a kid.
__________________
facebook
Never say no to a panda
Lil BigginZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #50
tankyguy
 
tankyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NS Canada
Posts: 519
tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthine View Post
The harpsichord is a great instrument. Someone once showed me a group on Facebook along the lines of, "When I hear a harpsichord, it feels like a million tiny pins jabbing me." I found it infuriating.
I agree, harpsichords sound fine. If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it.
I think theremins are also underrated.
tankyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BHM Thread for William Green Eyed Fairy The Lounge 22 11-02-2008 04:33 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Dimensions Magazine. All rights reserved worldwide.