Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Health Forum

Old 01-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #1
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Yoga

I do lots of yoga...and I just searched YouTube today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE1cz0WSZpQ

I found it neat
FatAndProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I bought two amazing Yoga DVDs for fat people but miscalculated that I'd need at least a few feet in my house to actually practice it. Maybe in the spring if I don't brain myself on a rock, I'll try it out at a park. Yoga mats don't exactly cushion concrete gym floors. LOL

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I've done yoga. The only thing is that I have to buy the yoga for weight loss DVDs, because the other ones don't take into account that we may not be able to move the same as skinny people. It would be nice if someone did a yoga for non-skinny people DVD that did not emphasize the weight loss aspects.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #4
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I know there are a couple of yoga dvds out there for fat people, but I'm not sure how good they are. I have been thinking of trying them out to see.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default The DVD's and YouTube are great...

in terms of introducing folks who otherwise wouldn't get the chance to try.

But, once you're feeling confident enough to try something-more, don't rule out going to an actual class. I know that the general reputation of yoga-culture has taken some heat around here. But (just as the video expertly decribes) the best instructors often have very practical insights into customizing or modifying postures and moves for different types of bodies or folks whose mobility or strength is compromised for any number of reasons. And you can get the most of these when attending a live-session. Where they can work directly with-you in more of a "hands-on" approach.

And, if it doesn't work-out or if the connection with the instructor just isn't there.....try another.
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:17 AM   #6
KHayes666
Go away

KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!

DDPYoga.com changed my life as well as others. Check it out if you can.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHayes666 View Post
DDPYoga.com changed my life as well as others. Check it out if you can.
That was really great to watch KHayes666. Thanks for sharing!

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
BigCutieAspen

BigCutieAspen can now change their title

awesome share
BigCutieAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
lille

lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
in terms of introducing folks who otherwise wouldn't get the chance to try.

But, once you're feeling confident enough to try something-more, don't rule out going to an actual class. I know that the general reputation of yoga-culture has taken some heat around here. But (just as the video expertly decribes) the best instructors often have very practical insights into customizing or modifying postures and moves for different types of bodies or folks whose mobility or strength is compromised for any number of reasons. And you can get the most of these when attending a live-session. Where they can work directly with-you in more of a "hands-on" approach.

And, if it doesn't work-out or if the connection with the instructor just isn't there.....try another.
I too recommend a class. The instructor can not only help tweak your position to help you and prevent injury, a good instructor will also help tailor the moves to each person's capabilities. One of my friends who did yoga with me couldn't kneel due to knee surgery so our instructor always have her alternate poses that worked the same muscles when possible.
lille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:10 AM   #10
x0emnem0x

x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!

I LOVE yoga. I definitely want to get back into it someday. I did it weekly in highschool and ever since I graduated I haven't done it at all LOL. But it is very relaxing and helps you stay flexible and all that good stuff, I absolutely love it.
x0emnem0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:57 AM   #11
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lille View Post
I too recommend a class. The instructor can not only help tweak your position to help you and prevent injury, a good instructor will also help tailor the moves to each person's capabilities. One of my friends who did yoga with me couldn't kneel due to knee surgery so our instructor always have her alternate poses that worked the same muscles when possible.
This is my issue as well. I didn't have a good initial experience in a class because the alternate poses most often required me to step out of position so that I could not flow easily from one move to the next. Having to reconnect with the next move made me feel like I had been changing a tire on an 18 wheeler all afternoon. The opposite of what I was going for. I haven't given up though, I'm hoping there's a class out there for me or I can go custom.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

@~;~~
Old 05-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Love Thy Fatness

I think this post is really cool.

We said:
Don’t assume that we aren’t as strong or flexible.
Don’t assume that this is my first ever yoga/fitness class.
Don’t assume that I hate my body.
Don’t assume that I’m there for weight loss.
Don’t assume anything about what I eat.
Don’t assume anything about my health.

And how cool is this place? The Fat Yogini

Last edited by Surlysomething; 05-21-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #13
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Lots of good sources for many workouts on youtube including yoga.
I haven't practiced it in awhile, but I do enjoy it. I would love to be able to do the splits again someday. Great activity that has benefits on many levels.

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #14
1love_emily
COLLEGE

1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I've always been envious of those who can do yoga. I love yoga and do as much as I can, but because of my Erbs Palsy, I really struggle to do the poses right. Sigh.

Love, Emily
1love_emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:15 AM   #15

362436 has said some nice things

Not only do I do yoga, I'm a yoga teacher. I always joke that yoga is great for all sizes, but that it was invented 5000 years ago by stick thin men. Some poses just have to be modernized.
362436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:52 AM   #16
Deacone
For Azeroth!

Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'd love to start yoga, but I don't have the confidence to do it outside yet, and I don't have enough space in my tiny flat for it.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #17
x0emnem0x

x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacone View Post
I'd love to start yoga, but I don't have the confidence to do it outside yet, and I don't have enough space in my tiny flat for it.
You should do it! It's so fun. Try to make some space, well worth it.
x0emnem0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #18
Deacone
For Azeroth!

Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!

If I could make space, I totally would. I live in a glorified bedsit. When I move I'll have more space and definitely make time - it probably would do me wonders
Old 08-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #19
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacone View Post
If I could make space, I totally would. I live in a glorified bedsit. When I move I'll have more space and definitely make time - it probably would do me wonders
Deacone you can try this one. The entire routine takes place on the floor but there's no reason you can't do it on the bed. Might make for a nice intro to yoga.

http://youtu.be/DvOBVb-15OA

@~;~~
Old 08-29-2014, 07:14 AM   #20
Deacone
For Azeroth!

thanks lilly, I'll give that a try tonight!
Old 10-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #21
FluffyButterfly80
Let's be friends!

FluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging in

I'm excited to find this thread. Lately I have been having huge problems with my low back and general stiffness. I started working at a grocery store about 2 months ago since then I have been sore non stop- even MORE so since I started back in the deli dept a few weeks ago.. all the bending and lifting from the deli cases has wreaked havoc on my body. I was wondering if there are any good yoga dvd's or routines for a short, stiff, fat girl such as me. LOL So glad to have found this thread! Thanks for sharing, everyone!!
Old 10-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #22
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
I know there are a couple of yoga dvds out there for fat people, but I'm not sure how good they are. I have been thinking of trying them out to see.
How would it be different for fatter people? Is yoga hard for a bigger person?

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #23
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

I don't know if there's anyone here in the DC area but there is a studio out there called Lighthouse Yoga Center that is going to offer a yoga class for the larger body. The class is called "Embodying Ahimsa: Teaching Yoga to Larger Bodied Students." I got a notice in the mail but I don't live near there so I'm passing it on. The class in in November.

http://www.lighthouseyogacenter.com/workshops/

@~;~~
Old 10-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #24
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
How would it be different for fatter people? Is yoga hard for a bigger person?
Speaking only for myself, there are some weight bearing poses in yoga that although they work really well for average sized people it is not necessarily a healthy pose for someone at my size. Some poses require rocking on the spine of being on your knees, something that is not recommended for people at my weight. Also with thighs as thick as mine and the knee surgeries I've had, the cross legged seated pose is not possible. Many of the poses have to be altered for me which requires me to step out of position into a completely different pose than everyone else is doing, putting me out of synch with the flow of a class. A class that's geared toward poses with lower injury risk for people at my size would be ideal.

I purchased Heavyweight Yoga by Abby Lentz. It looks very nickel and dime but I found it very well done. I enjoyed it.

http://youtu.be/doK_XRhio4g

@~;~~

Last edited by LillyBBBW; 10-22-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:52 AM   #25
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post
Speaking only for myself, there are some weight bearing poses in yoga that although they work really well for average sized people it is not necessarily a healthy pose for someone at my size. Some poses require rocking on the spine of being on your knees, something that is not recommended for people at my weight. Also with thighs as thick as mine and the knee surgeries I've had, the cross legged seated pose is not possible. Many of the poses have to be altered for me which requires me to step out of position into a completely different pose than everyone else is doing, putting me out of synch with the flow of a class. A class that's geared toward poses with lower injury risk for people at my size would be ideal.

I purchased Heavyweight Yoga by Abby Lentz. It looks very nickel and dime but I found it very well done. I enjoyed it.

http://youtu.be/doK_XRhio4g
That's exactly what I was wondering: is there a balance problem and do some of the poses pose a possibility of injury. I worry about that at my size and have only seen vids of thin people doing it. However, all that stretching does have the potential for some type of natural high, IMO
Thanks for that link-- like the woman in the video I don't want to fall either and I liked seeing a pregnant woman being able to balance- makes it all seem more possible because yoga really is something I have been considering.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"

Last edited by Green Eyed Fairy; 10-23-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote