Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 02-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Banana Puddin'

Hello y'all,

Being the Yankee that I am, I had never heard of banana pudding. I'm reaching out to fellow foodees in hope to find an authentic southern recipe, so that I don't mess it up! I want to make it for a good, ol' southern man as a gift because he has hinted that he likes it. I know it's relatively simple, but I want to make his taste buds dance lol
FatAndProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Just brain-storming...

See also, Butterscotch-pudding, ways to combine the two.
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Ms Charlotte BBW
Fantasy Land

Ms Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAndProud View Post
Hello y'all,

Being the Yankee that I am, I had never heard of banana pudding. I'm reaching out to fellow foodees in hope to find an authentic southern recipe, so that I don't mess it up! I want to make it for a good, ol' southern man as a gift because he has hinted that he likes it. I know it's relatively simple, but I want to make his taste buds dance lol
My son loves banana pudding and since I am not a fan of boxed pudding mixes, this is the recipe I use. It's simple enough, yet very good!

Old Fashioned Banana Pudding
Ms Charlotte BBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm not a fan of bananas. However, if you want a southern-style recipe I'll refer you to the best New Orleans' based chef I know, Emeril Lagasse.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

since moving south, i have learned to love banana pudding. for me, it is not so much the type of pudding...i use instant vanilla pudding...but it is

a. how far ahead you make it
b. how many banana/vanilla wafers you use
c. meringue vs whipped cream/cool whip

banana pudding seems to be a personal preference sort of thing. my hub, who grew up in the charlotte region, likes me to make the banana pudding the day before we serve it. that gives the cookies time to suck up some of the moisture from the pudding and get that weird soft texture that he loves. as long as you give it a few hours in the fridge to meld, anything short of super hard cookies is good.

also, the key is to get the cookie/banana/pudding ratio right. some folks just line the bottom with cookies and banana and then add the pudding as the filling and top with whipped cream/meringue on top. I tend to do the layer thing. cookies/bananas/pudding/cookies/banana/pudding/whipped cream.

i have had banana pudding with meringue, which is less sweet and very airy. it is a nice offset to the dense pudding, but honestly, i prefer whipped cream. usually i cheat and use cool whip, but have had it with honest to goodness whipped cream and it is delish.
luvmybhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #6
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!

Use the recipe on the nilla wafers box

Here: http://www.backofthebox.com/recipes/...pudding-g.html

Last edited by ConnieLynn; 05-15-2014 at 07:32 PM.
ConnieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:42 AM   #7
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

" Use the recipe on the nilla wafers box "

OMG, yes!

That's how my mom always made it. Cooking the custard from scratch isn't that difficult and it tastes so much better than box pudding. Also, the meringue topping is optional. She never made it, she just covered the top of the pudding with a layer of the cookies.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!

I love the meringue topping, but only make it if I am going to serve the pudding within a few hours. It can get sticky or tough if you plan to leave it in the fridge for long.

Also, do not overcook the pudding in the oven. I was excited the other day when my local diner had real banana pudding on the menu. Both the bananas and the meringue were chewy -- from too much time in the oven.

For those of you scared by a recipe that says 'use a double boiler', just use a metal bowl on top of one of your regular stovetop pots. This recipe is really easier than you think and real custard/pudding is the bomb
ConnieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #9
fat9276

fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This thread just reminded me of my Dad. He LOVES and I mean LOVES banana pudding! He didn't make his pudding from scratch but would only use the vanilla "cook and serve" type (he despises instant). He would just pour this over layers of fresh sliced bananas and vanilla wafers. He loved to eat it warm, while I preferred it chilled (I love when the cookies soften).

Thanks for this thread! You brought up some good memories for me
fat9276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
Ohio Lady

Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ohio Lady has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

My son request banana pudding for Thanksgiving every year from me.. no one else is allowed to make it according to him.. I use the boxed Banana pudding mix instead of Vanilla pudding mix..
Old 03-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #11
ReneeD70

ReneeD70 can now change their title

I am a Yankee too and we've always eaten banana pudding...well as long as I can remember anyway. Lately, I've used the Paula Deen recipe and my husband who hates bananas, LOVES this recipe. lol
I've made it numerous times since I discovered it. Darn PD! <3
ReneeD70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:31 AM   #12
Rojodi

Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm from the North, but no Yankee: I'm in upstate NY and not in New England. We had banana pudding for as long as I can remember: My mother made it with boxed vanilla pudding mix, bananas, and Nilla Wafers.

For Thanksgiving, I would make some for my in-laws, using a basic vanilla pudding recipe and adding banana to it. If I made it at their house, I never had to clean up, since someone would offer to - and scrape all the leftover bits. LOL
Old 03-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #13
Aust99

Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I want someone to make me this!!!!

I wonder what biscuits to use here in Australia instead....
Aust99 is offline   Reply With Quote