Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

View Poll Results: How would you proceed?
I fit that description and would contact the person 5 14.29%
I don't fit that description and would not contact the person 20 57.14%
I don't fit the description, but would contact the person if they were attractive enough 10 28.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Extremely Random Poll

Say you viewed a person's profile on a dating site and were interested, but noticed that he or she was specifically looking for a partner who hated social media and did not own a cell phone.

Last edited by Melian; 02-14-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Melian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Sounds like the woman of my dreams (sigh).
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

(from a purely theoretical perspective, since I did all my dating well before the age of on-line dating, let alone social media).

I voted doesn't fit me / wouldn't contact them (despte the fact that I have minimal use for social media and didn't have a phone until a couple of years ago), mostly because of concern of what that said about the person who posted the ad. In particular I'd worry that they were the controlling sort who likes their victim, errr 'partner' to be isolated from other social support networks.

Of course, they could just be a curmudgeonly hermit type, which could be OK.....but there would have to be a heck of a lot of prospective upside to make me think the risk was worth it.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think we need a 'I fit that description and wouldn't contact that' option! I wouldn't want a relationship with anyone who demands things of their potential partner like that and who seems to want to spread hatred/negativity instead of happiness. Just my opinion.
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Hahahaha. Ah...Tad.

I posted this poll because someone had recently told me that I'm "undateable" by current standards, because of my....special needs, i.e. I hate social media/cell phones and just want them to stay out of my life. So, if I were ever to make a dating profile, it would have those specifications, and I started wondering if anyone would ever reply to it (seriously).
Old 02-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
I think we need a 'I fit that description and wouldn't contact that' option! I wouldn't want a relationship with anyone who demands things of their potential partner like that and who seems to want to spread hatred/negativity instead of happiness. Just my opinion.
Ok, I don't see how hating phones and social media spreads hatred. If anything, asking for someone with similar views is going to prevent hatred in the future, if a relationship actually develops.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
Mckee

Mckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melian View Post
I posted this poll because someone had recently told me that I'm "undateable" by current standards, because of my....special needs, i.e. I hate social media/cell phones and just want them to stay out of my life. So, if I were ever to make a dating profile, it would have those specifications, and I started wondering if anyone would ever reply to it (seriously).
Melian, my two cents: wouldn't be the strangest thing read in a dating profile. Not even close…so…I don't think you'll have trouble finding someone replying.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckee View Post
Melian, my two cents: wouldn't be the strangest thing read in a dating profile. Not even close…so…I don't think you'll have trouble finding someone replying.
What are some of the weirdest things you've seen?
Old 02-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The sheer irony of a person having an ad on a dating site and hating social media would make my head asplode.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
The sheer irony of a person having an ad on a dating site and hating social media would make my head asplode.
Good point, although, do dating sites really count as "social media," since they're more of a service vs a platform to brag about how great you think you are?

I guess I should have just phrased the question as, "what percentage of people would be compatible with someone who hates cell phones and social media?" It doesn't really make for a good poll, though.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

To me, social media is a way to avoid boredom and nothing more. If a partner didn't want to deal with social media, I wouldn't care. Not wanting a cell phone is another matter. I am not the sort of person to demand to know your every move. I'm not jealous or possessive. Rather, I think carrying a cell phone is vital in case of emergency. Car broke down? Help is just a call away. Something came up that needs my immediate attention? You can get in touch right away.

People who spend their lives with their cell phone glued to their ear are annoying as hell. That's not me. But I still won't be without one, because it's a great lifeline in case of emergency or crisis situation.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Quote:
To me, social media is a way to avoid boredom and nothing more. If a partner didn't want to deal with social media, I wouldn't care. Not wanting a cell phone is another matter. I am not the sort of person to demand to know your every move. I'm not jealous or possessive. Rather, I think carrying a cell phone is vital in case of emergency. Car broke down? Help is just a call away. Something came up that needs my immediate attention? You can get in touch right away.

People who spend their lives with their cell phone glued to their ear are annoying as hell. That's not me. But I still won't be without one, because it's a great lifeline in case of emergency or crisis situation.
Yeah, that seems to be a very common opinion, and I can see how it makes sense.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #13
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!

I think because of the sheer popularity of them, it'd be difficult to find someone who doesn't own a cellphone.

But as for the actual question, not fitting that profile personally, I have dated people who dislike those things and no problems were had. So if I were interested in their profile, I'd give it a shot and let it be on them whether they're alright with my owning a cellphone/using social media (without my trying to coerce them into it like an asshole.)

It also might depend on how it's worded. Like, if they're SPECIFICALLY specifically looking for someone with a hatred of those things - like, if they jack off to videos of cellphones being broken, etc. Yeah, I'd probably hold off. But if it's just a personal preference that they want to be respected, that's different.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #14
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthine View Post
like, if they jack off to videos of cellphones being broken
I love you
Old 02-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #15
Esther
Queen Black Acid

Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
I voted doesn't fit me / wouldn't contact them (despte the fact that I have minimal use for social media and didn't have a phone until a couple of years ago), mostly because of concern of what that said about the person who posted the ad. In particular I'd worry that they were the controlling sort who likes their victim, errr 'partner' to be isolated from other social support networks.

^^This.
If someone hates social media and is warning you that they don't own a cellphone - cool.
If someone hates social media and doesn't want you using it, or a cell phone either... red flag for a jealous, controlling, mistrustful partner.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #16
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther View Post
^^This.
If someone hates social media and is warning you that they don't own a cellphone - cool.
If someone hates social media and doesn't want you using it, or a cell phone either... red flag for a jealous, controlling, mistrustful partner.
Hm. It's weird, but I never really considered that people would view it that way - that hating that particular device was a jealousy thing, and not just a hatred for an annoying device.

Maybe it's because people have become very attached to their phones and, since I've never had (or wanted) one, I just view it as a stupid, irritating object. Basically, my problem with them is the behaviours that people have picked up since they became so pervasive, and prefer the way things were before that happened.

ETA: I just wanted to clear up one thing: in my hypothetical situation, the person is looking for someone who actively hates these things themselves, and is not looking to convert someone who loves them - those are the people they are trying to filter out.

Last edited by Melian; 02-14-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Melian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #17
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I think carrying a cell phone is vital in case of emergency. Car broke down? Help is just a call away. Something came up that needs my immediate attention? You can get in touch right away.
This is what my wife said when she got her cell phone. She would only carry it in the car to use in emergencies. She would never, never distract herself by talking while driving. Yeah, right. It is now permanently attached to her ear, and she is learning to drive with her knees.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #18
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Quote:
I think because of the sheer popularity of them, it'd be difficult to find someone who doesn't own a cellphone.
You just found one. I don't have a TV, either. Or a Kindle: I read books made of actual paper.

Luddites of the world, unite!
Old 02-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #19
Mckee

Mckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized rep

Quote:
What are some of the weirdest things you've seen?
People who specifically stated in their ad: DO NOT contact me if you are not into...a specific political party, or a cultural/lifestyle movements…or even soccer teams (that happens only in Italy, though).
Old 02-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #20
tankyguy

tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I don't own a cell phone but I may some day. It's mostly a matter that I don't need one, so why add complication and expenses?

And social media simply doesn't interest me. Of course, being a homebody that means I have a hard time meeting people. Plus it makes it harder playing the commercial artist game.

So put me down as someone who would be compatible with someone like that.
tankyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #21
Goreki
Fairy tales and Woe

Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Goreki has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Yeah, I don't see how that's going to work for you. You can't just go around expressing opinions and stating preferences that exclude any type of person whatsoever! Where is the wuv, Melian?
Old 02-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #22
Saoirse

Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!

I would think that someone who is so against advanced communications wouldnt even go on a dating site, nevermind actually set up a profile.

And you would be ignoring a whole group of potentially awesome mates, simply because you hate cellphones and facebook.

get over it.
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #23
Hozay J Garseeya
Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.

Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.

How else am I supposed to get nudies on the fly if I don't have a cell phone?
Old 02-15-2014, 12:17 AM   #24
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

I figured as much. Let's just move this to the unpopular opinions thread
Old 02-15-2014, 04:50 AM   #25
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Ok, I don't see how hating phones and social media spreads hatred. If anything, asking for someone with similar views is going to prevent hatred in the future, if a relationship actually develops.
Okay, maybe spreading hatred wasn't the right way of putting it but if you go out there searching for people on the basis that they have to have a hatred/negative opinion of something rather than that you want to have positive things in common then it is hardly a great way of spreading happiness and creating friendships. I wouldn't message anybody who declared that I had to have a hatred for/negative opinion on anything. I would only be interested in the positive people who talked about what they do like and what they want to share with people. I would want a friendship or relationship to be based on common ground and happiness rather than a shared hatred and negativity. Just saying.

Quote:

It also might depend on how it's worded. Like, if they're SPECIFICALLY specifically looking for someone with a hatred of those things - like, if they jack off to videos of cellphones being broken, etc. Yeah, I'd probably hold off. But if it's just a personal preference that they want to be respected, that's different.
Firstly, hello there, I am one of those mysterious people that doesn't really own a phone! ...technically I have one, it is somewhere in this house but I haven't touched it or turned it on for over a year and have no intention of!

And this exactly. I wouldn't mind somebody saying that they weren't fans of social media or mobile phones, I am not a fan of either myself after all, but I wouldn't respond to somebody saying they hated them and were looking for another person to share their hatred.
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote