Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-06-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
Boteroesque Babe
All cookies cleared!

Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default The "Foods I Wish Were Still Around" Thread

Kraft Bacon Tomato Salad Dressing

Green Goddess Dressing (I understand someone is still making it, but I never see it.)

Kraft Cucumber Dip (I've never been able to duplicate it)

These little Planter's snacks with sweet peanut butter filling and a crisp wafery shell, in the shape of a peanut - came in a foil stand-up bag, and weren't around too long, as I recall. DAMN they were good.

Bacon Crackers (hey, I just had deja vu... I've posted about this before, haven't I?)

Since discovering hometownfavorites.com, most of the candy I miss can still be had. But the rest of the list gives me cause to whine. And there are dozens of others I just can't think of now. Soon's I hit 'submit,' I guess.
"If you stand on a soapbox and trade rhetoric with a dictator you never win. That's what they do so well; they seduce people. But if you ridicule them, bring them down with laughter, they can't win." ~ Mel Brooks

"The country is run by extremists, 'cause moderates have shit to do." ~ Jon Stewart

"And she doesn't wear polyester except when she's kidding."~ Egbert Souse

Last edited by Boteroesque Babe; 11-06-2005 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Edited 'cause she forgot to insert a hyperlink. Always thinking only of herself, that one.
Boteroesque Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:46 PM   #2
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Three words:

Bonomo Turkish Taffy

It was a real treat when I was a kid. You buy a bar, bring it home, and stick it in the freezer. After dinner, you'd smack it against the table, open the wrapper, and you were greeted with irregulatly-shaped shards of taffy.

My favorites were Chocolate and Banana....

From what I can gather, they stopped making it in the Late '60s.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:47 PM   #3
fatlane
Starting Arvist

fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Mint Skittles. Can't find 'em ANYWHERE for love or money.

Just remember that acceptance is 71.4% of size acceptance.
fatlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:54 PM   #4
Gordo Mejor

Gordo Mejor can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesGordo Mejor can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Koolees

Tough competition for Icees in the South in the 60's. IMHO far better. Sold in Little Generals as I recall.

By the way Bo Babe, I saw that Oxford American Magazine is looking for an Art Director.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:03 PM   #5
fatlane
Starting Arvist

fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Australian Toaster Biscuits. My grocery store carried them for a year, then stopped. This was ten years ago, and I miss them dearly.

Just remember that acceptance is 71.4% of size acceptance.
fatlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:16 PM   #6
Boteroesque Babe
All cookies cleared!

Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo Mejor
Tough competition for Icees in the South in the 60's. IMHO far better. Sold in Little Generals as I recall.

By the way Bo Babe, I saw that Oxford American Magazine is looking for an Art Director.
Koo-Koo-Koolie
Orange Koolie
Lemon Koolie
Koolie Fruit Punch
Koolie in the morning
Koolie at lunch
Natural fruit flavors
Orange... lemon... PUNCH!

I have no idea why I know that jingle. We didn't have 'em where I lived, but during trips to Grandma's in North Carolina, that radio ad was in heavy rotation. I remember my cousins blowing their allowance on Koolies.

Are you going after the OA gig, Gordo? Could be cool.
"If you stand on a soapbox and trade rhetoric with a dictator you never win. That's what they do so well; they seduce people. But if you ridicule them, bring them down with laughter, they can't win." ~ Mel Brooks

"The country is run by extremists, 'cause moderates have shit to do." ~ Jon Stewart

Old 11-06-2005, 04:37 PM   #7
sweetnnekked
Back From The Dead.

sweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne_Zitkus
Three words:

Bonomo Turkish Taffy

It was a real treat when I was a kid. You buy a bar, bring it home, and stick it in the freezer. After dinner, you'd smack it against the table, open the wrapper, and you were greeted with irregulatly-shaped shards of taffy.

My favorites were Chocolate and Banana....

From what I can gather, they stopped making it in the Late '60s.
OH MY GOD!!!

I saw the thread, immediately thought of Turkish Taffy, read the post before yours, and then...
...was totally blown away!!!

- J. Garcia
- R. Hunter
sweetnnekked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:37 PM   #8
Gordo Mejor

Gordo Mejor can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesGordo Mejor can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default I considered it.

Quote:
Are you going after the OA gig, Gordo? Could be cool.
Well, it does appear that our company is running on fumes right now. My background is more in video and animation than magazine work. It would be a hoot though.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:42 PM   #9
sweetnnekked
Back From The Dead.

sweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going on
Default Easily found!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boteroesque Babe
Kraft Bacon Tomato Salad Dressing

Green Goddess Dressing (I understand someone is still making it, but I never see it.)

Kraft Cucumber Dip (I've never been able to duplicate it)

These little Planter's snacks with sweet peanut butter filling and a crisp wafery shell, in the shape of a peanut - came in a foil stand-up bag, and weren't around too long, as I recall. DAMN they were good.

Bacon Crackers (hey, I just had deja vu... I've posted about this before, haven't I?)

Since discovering hometownfavorites.com, most of the candy I miss can still be had. But the rest of the list gives me cause to whine. And there are dozens of others I just can't think of now. Soon's I hit 'submit,' I guess.
Annie's makes Green Goddess. You can probably look up a store near you by Googling them. Most natural food stores carry Annie's.
I believe Nabisco still makes the bacon crackers otherwise, I've been eating stale ones made years ago!
P.S. Bacon crackers are great with the bacon flavored Kraft cheese in a can!!!

- J. Garcia
- R. Hunter
Old 11-06-2005, 04:46 PM   #10
Boteroesque Babe
All cookies cleared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo Mejor
Well, it does appear that our company is running on fumes right now. My background is more in video and animation than magazine work. It would be a hoot though.
And you could hire me to photograph Roy Blount, Jr. for his column, and we'd fall in love, marry, and pop out a brood, all with aviator glasses and the cutest little drawls.

Go for it. We'll have you over at Thanksgiving.

Old 11-06-2005, 04:48 PM   #11
Boteroesque Babe
All cookies cleared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnnekked
I believe Nabisco still makes the bacon crackers otherwise, I've been eating stale ones made years ago!
P.S. Bacon crackers are great with the bacon flavored Kraft cheese in a can!!!
D'oh! I guess we just don't have 'em in NYC. Damn Yankees.

Old 11-06-2005, 04:49 PM   #12
sweetnnekked
Back From The Dead.

Angry Snapple Disasters!

Mint Snapple Iced Tea!
It was the only Snapple I truly loved.
Why, oh why did they discontinue my little breath of heaven?

Also, Ben & Jerry's Rainforest Crunch and Kellogg's Maple Buckwheat flakes.

- J. Garcia
- R. Hunter
Old 11-06-2005, 05:00 PM   #13
Boteroesque Babe
All cookies cleared!

Tastykake Coconut Kandy Kakes, which I'm hoping they'll have again when around Easter. They have a wonderful website, which tells you what products they have at which stores, but their "seasonal" section remains empty.

I'm sure I've posted about them before. The waiting is killing me.

And oh yeah. Those chalky little penny candy lipsticks in gold foil. Yeah.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:18 PM   #14
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

fried pudding pies: As in the fried fruit pies Drakes or Hostess makes only with your choice of vanilla or chocolate pudding.

a three bean salad I used to buy from costco: it's easy to make three bean salad but this was more convienent. It was in a refrigrator case, and the beans were not mushy and sugar wasn't added. Consistent garlic flavor too.

Buddy burgers from Burger King: Obviously a gimmick but I was eight or nine and enthralled by them. They were two mini burgers with two buns that were attached.

Salad bar in Wendy's.

Old El Paso's line of frozen chimichangas.

the entermann's cake with mocha frosting in it.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:31 PM   #15
Boteroesque Babe
All cookies cleared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles
fried pudding pies: As in the fried fruit pies Drakes or Hostess makes only with your choice of vanilla or chocolate pudding.
Oooooh. I'd forgotten about these! Hostess chocolate pies... so heavy and delicious.

And I remember Buddy Burgers, too. One I really miss is something McDonald's marketed as the burger made for adults. It had a creamy dijon mustard, and a tomato slice of much higher quality than is normally found in fast food chains. Things were so tasty.

Again I'm having deja vu. Either I recently posted about these, or I discussed them with someone in the last few days.

God, I'm hungry.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:35 PM   #16
LurkingBBW
Foodee extraordinaire

LurkingBBW can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesLurkingBBW can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Does anyone else remember a really great chocolate bar by Nestles called The Triple Decker Bar? It had a layer of white chocolate, sandwiched between a layer of dark and milk chocolate. It was my favorite in the 60' and 70's but, shortly after I discovered Drakes Ring Dings and Yodels which are still around but, not nearly as good as they used to be.
LurkingBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:43 PM   #17
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

How could I forget chocodiles? I did a google search and apparently they are still made. But I cannot find them in the new york area.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:46 PM   #18
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Tastykake Coconut Kandy Kakes, which I'm hoping they'll have again when around Easter.
Actually...look what I bought 2 weeks ago...

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:52 PM   #19
Boteroesque Babe
All cookies cleared!

And Caravelle bars. Caramel and crispies in milk chocolate.

Have y'all seen this book? Candyfreak: A Journey Through the Chocolate Underbelly of America.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:54 PM   #20
Boteroesque Babe
All cookies cleared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft
Actually...look what I bought 2 weeks ago...

Ack! That's them! They went and changed names on me. The bastids! Am I too late to find 'em? Easter's a long ways away.

Old 11-06-2005, 06:01 PM   #21
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Ack! That's them! They went and changed names on me. The bastids! Am I too late to find 'em? Easter's a long ways away.
Well, looks like a Halloween issue...not sure if they are still around. I got them at Walmart.

I love them also! So I couldn't resist.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 11-06-2005, 06:05 PM   #22
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
And Caravelle bars. Caramel and crispies in milk chocolate.
I think 100 Grand bars are similar. (Used to be called "Hundred Thousand Dollar Bars")

I have those too. Shall I take a pic?
Old 11-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #23
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Some favorites that are no more:

Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips

The Gino's Giant - like a Big Mac, only better.

Wetson's Milk Shakes

The Double R Bar Burger at Roy Rogers. A cheeseburger with slices of ham on top of it.

Kenny Rogers Roasted Chicken

Chicken Delight (it was a franchise operation in the NY/NJ area that delivered chicken dinners to your door. You'd get a few pieces of fried chicken, fries, and cole slaw on a partitioned Chinet plate with a second one stapled on top of it. Sandie and I still remember their radio jingle ' "Don't cook tonight - Call Chicken Delight."

Banana Splits at The Minuteman (a chain of NJ restaurants owned by Raritan Valley Farms.) They were the reward prize in my family for good report cards and similar achievements,

Victoria Station. A restaurant that looked like a collection of railroad cars. Great salad bar and EXCELLENT steaks.

Beefsteak Charlies. Good steaks and all the beer, wine, or sangria you could drink.

And Burger Chef. They were good, but now they're gone.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:11 PM   #24
Mr. Brian

Location: NY by PA and NJ "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom."
Mr. Brian can now change their title
Default Bonomo Turkish Taffy

A reasonable imitation can be found here:

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/

as well as a few other favorites.

Anyone remember Jello 1-2-3? A sort of atomic dessert that separated into 3 layers by itself? The middle layer was a lot like 'Whip and Chill' which isn't around anymore either.

Junket Renet Custard? The Growing Up Dessert

Coco Marsh Syrup? (fortified milk amplifier) aka Chocolate Milk and it's strawberry companion, Yumberry.

Mr. Brian
Snapple Real Fact #37 A snail breathes through its foot
Mr. Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 08:46 PM   #25
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Lipton Rice and Sauce Chicken Parmesan Risotto - this was still made until earlier this year, and I ate it about 3 times a week. Then, POOF!

Seriously, I'll pay top dollar if any of you can still find a bag on your supermarket shelf. I'm not kidding, just let me know.

Doo Dads - Nabisco I think, used to be a Chex mix type snack, but with the good ol' seasoning, none of the melba junk, and peanuts.

It was divine.