Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 02-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Vol-au-vent available anywhere?

I'd been under the weather for several days this past weekend, but then Carol made this wonderful birthday dinner that I had asked her for. Vol-au-vents!

Only problem was that she was unable to find any normal, full-sized vol-au-vents anywhere and eventually had to settle for those little hors-d'oeurvre ones from Pepperidge Farms. Vol-au-vents, for which I don't know the English name, were one of my favorite things way back when I grew up in Switzerland. They are puff pastries that are totally flat when you buy them, but puff up into those neat puffy cylinders. The filling is usually sort of a cream of mushroom with peas and chicken, kind of like in a chicken pot pie, but there are all sorts of recipes.

Does anyone know if full-size vol-au-vents are available anywhere? Has anyone had them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 027.jpg (137.2 KB, 63 views)
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
~nai'a~

~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
I'd been under the weather for several days this past weekend, but then Carol made this wonderful birthday dinner that I had asked her for. Vol-au-vents!

Only problem was that she was unable to find any normal, full-sized vol-au-vents anywhere and eventually had to settle for those little hors-d'oeurvre ones from Pepperidge Farms. Vol-au-vents, for which I don't know the English name, were one of my favorite things way back when I grew up in Switzerland. They are puff pastries that are totally flat when you buy them, but puff up into those neat puffy cylinders. The filling is usually sort of a cream of mushroom with peas and chicken, kind of like in a chicken pot pie, but there are all sorts of recipes.

Does anyone know if full-size vol-au-vents are available anywhere? Has anyone had them?
I love vol-au-vent.
Not sure where to find them in the US but up North, we find fresh ones in grocery stores (often near the cooked chickens) or in bakeries. We also find them frozen like you did but never saw the little ones you had.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

there are some great videos out on youtube on how to make a vol-au-vent at home out of puff pastry

here's an easy one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn9jqA6Sh1I
luvmybhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
firefly

firefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this board

Yes, they can easily be made at home. Blätterteig / puff paste: cut out two circles of the same size and then cut out a little bit smaller circle from one of them. Put the two circles together with egg yolk, spread them with the yolk and bake like it is said in the package.