Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Fat sexuality

Old 06-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #401
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyc View Post
So... what is "moon eyed" did you have this guy "dumb struck" and in "awe"

Seems like two ships passing through several nights - never to meet...

1. Did you ever get an idea or clue as to the identity of know your "mystery" admirer?

2. Maybe you gave off vibes that you were unapproachable- you might have scared the shit out of this person and may not have felt that he was in your league....

So if a "good Looking guy" gets old in 5 minutes -that would leave folks with less than average looks with the 30 second pitch in your estimation...

moon eyed as in can only spend most of their time staring.

yes i knew him quite well in a way.

i'm not an unapproachable person as people who've met me know. i wasn't rude to you when we met. anyone who thinks i'm unapproachable simply has not approached me and made something up in their own head. and if he still contends i'm unapproachable without having really met me i'm not going to change who i am to suit some stereotype of what approachable is. i want to be able to be myself with whomever i'm with. any woman is lucky to be without someone who can't relax and appreciate her real self. it's weird because the very thing that attracts some men are the very things that intimidate them. they have some thinking to do before they approach anybody.

i think he was just scared anyway -- of everything. i knew his background and his story because i was nice to him and we did talk. this was not the first time he went through that. i can take awkward but there was no spark. there was no connection or communication on a certain level. i personally need to be with somebody i can really relate to. i'm sure even a lot of guys here can relate to somebody you think would otherwise be attractive but is so god awful fearful of the situation.

any guy who isn't nice gets old quick average or not. if i see a guy do something mean etc... i go right off him no matter what. actually i prefer average or even less than average looking guys. to me they usually have a much better developed personality and sense of self so i have a prejudice on their side. they are usually more attractive to me. is a guy is not handsome that is fine as long as he isn't petty and doesn't have low self esteem regarding his looks. that gets in the way too much. the worse thing is guys who assume all you're about is how good somebody is supposed to look. it's hard to like someone who is insulting you and acting like you are lookist.

guys who are extra handsome can have a downside. they can come with a lot of junk and drama following them everywhere. a lot of it isn't even really their fault. there are some women who are all about eye candy because they have low self esteem. so, when they get some or even just meet some they find it really hard to let go and it gets to be your problem if he is interested in you. i absolutely hate drama.

the guys i have dated who were handsome were mainly not my first choice. they only became a first choice after i saw they had a good character and they tried to keep the drama low -- the same as i feel about guys who aren't all that handsome.

personally the things i find most irresistible, kindness, intelligence, sensitivity humor etc... i can do without the other stuff. if a guy has those things he looks better and better every time you see him anyway.

Last edited by superodalisque; 06-25-2014 at 10:26 PM.
superodalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:46 PM   #402
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I am completely unable to rep this post.
it wouldn't let me either
Old 06-26-2014, 01:26 AM   #403
KHayes666
Go away

KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
The fact they had a chance to treat you like shit seems to indicate you sought their company. And yes most people will sooner or later distance themselves from toxic people. However, the fact remains that, as long as their looks hold, there will be a never ending stream of guys seeking the affection of these "gorgeous" women regardless of how loathsome they may be on the inside.
Well when you're 21-22 years old and new to the scene, you seek the company of those you feel share the same interests as you. Unfortunately just because you share similar interests don't mean they have the same personality or the one you're looking for. I found that out the hard way.

And once more for the hard of hearing that continue to say white guys do this, white guys do that, why can't they be like black men, etc.
Some white men suck, not all of them suck. Some black men suck, not all of them suck. No one is superior to the other. We're all created equal but everyone has different personalities.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #404
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superodalisque View Post
moon eyed as in can only spend most of their time staring.

yes i knew him quite well in a way.

i'm not an unapproachable person as people who've met me know. i wasn't rude to you when we met. anyone who thinks i'm unapproachable simply has not approached me and made something up in their own head. and if he still contends i'm unapproachable without having really met me i'm not going to change who i am to suit some stereotype of what approachable is. i want to be able to be myself with whomever i'm with. any woman is lucky to be without someone who can't relax and appreciate her real self. it's weird because the very thing that attracts some men are the very things that intimidate them. they have some thinking to do before they approach anybody.

i think he was just scared anyway -- of everything. i knew his background and his story because i was nice to him and we did talk. this was not the first time he went through that. i can take awkward but there was no spark. there was no connection or communication on a certain level. i personally need to be with somebody i can really relate to. i'm sure even a lot of guys here can relate to somebody you think would otherwise be attractive but is so god awful fearful of the situation.

any guy who isn't nice gets old quick average or not. if i see a guy do something mean etc... i go right off him no matter what. actually i prefer average or even less than average looking guys. to me they usually have a much better developed personality and sense of self so i have a prejudice on their side. they are usually more attractive to me. is a guy is not handsome that is fine as long as he isn't petty and doesn't have low self esteem regarding his looks. that gets in the way too much. the worse thing is guys who assume all you're about is how good somebody is supposed to look. it's hard to like someone who is insulting you and acting like you are lookist.

guys who are extra handsome can have a downside. they can come with a lot of junk and drama following them everywhere. a lot of it isn't even really their fault. there are some women who are all about eye candy because they have low self esteem. so, when they get some or even just meet some they find it really hard to let go and it gets to be your problem if he is interested in you. i absolutely hate drama.

the guys i have dated who were handsome were mainly not my first choice. they only became a first choice after i saw they had a good character and they tried to keep the drama low -- the same as i feel about guys who aren't all that handsome.

personally the things i find most irresistible, kindness, intelligence, sensitivity humor etc... i can do without the other stuff. if a guy has those things he looks better and better every time you see him anyway.
Well it does make a big difference once the complete facts are known....

1. To clarify by "unapproachable" I did not want to imply that you were going to be mean or horrible OR any other stereotype. It's just something that some guys goes through when they see someone that they find attractive...

a. some guys get nervous
b. some guys wonder if they are wasting their time

2. It really depends how you approach someone you find attractive and what you can chat about. I know here in the City folks tend to have their guard up about their personal space.

3. In some way- one can almost have "sympathy" for the guy when there is clearly "no spark". These things happen.

4. What folks can perceive as being an asshole or bad boy qualities can be viewed as confidence or charming-but, this can be open to many interpretation. This is something that can be viewed on a case-by-case basis.

5. As far as the drama for dating "attractive" partner - that depends how one handles things and what is meant by "drama".

I only know that regardless of ethnicity and in my limited experience - some folks in the Northeast are bold and aggressive about admiring BBW.

[SIGPIC]http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/image.php?u=841&type=sigpic&dateline=1258169105[/SIGPIC]
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #405
superodalisque

Quote:
Well it does make a big difference once the complete facts are known....

1. To clarify by "unapproachable" I did not want to imply that you were going to be mean or horrible OR any other stereotype. It's just something that some guys goes through when they see someone that they find attractive...

a. some guys get nervous
b. some guys wonder if they are wasting their time

2. It really depends how you approach someone you find attractive and what you can chat about. I know here in the City folks tend to have their guard up about their personal space.

3. In some way- one can almost have "sympathy" for the guy when there is clearly "no spark". These things happen.

4. What folks can perceive as being an asshole or bad boy qualities can be viewed as confidence or charming-but, this can be open to many interpretation. This is something that can be viewed on a case-by-case basis.

5. As far as the drama for dating "attractive" partner - that depends how one handles things and what is meant by "drama".

I only know that regardless of ethnicity and in my limited experience - some folks in the Northeast are bold and aggressive about admiring BBW.
i used to have more empathy for guys who thought in terms of approachability before i realized the main reason they feel intimidated is because they look at you as an it, even though an attractive it. they still don't see you as a person with feelings just like everyone else. they think of you as shallow, materialistic etc... because they are absolutely sure that all that matters is what they look like and what they have. that's insulting to me and who i am. i would never want to be with someone with such a low opinion of me as a person no matter how attractive they were or how attractive they thought i was. i cut my ties with people who can't treat me like a human being because that is simply disrespectful. i took me a long time to realize but as a woman i don't want to have anything to do with anybody who needs me to feel sorry for him. the self editing actually does me a favor.

Last edited by superodalisque; 06-26-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:49 PM   #406
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
i used to have more empathy for guys who thought in terms of approachability before i realized the main reason they feel intimidated is because they look at you as an it, even though an attractive it. they still don't see you as a person with feelings just like everyone else. they think of you as shallow, materialistic etc... because they are absolutely sure that all that matters is what they look like and what they have. that's insulting to me and who i am. i would never want to be with someone with such a low opinion of me as a person no matter how attractive they were or how attractive they thought i was. i cut my ties with people who can't treat me like a human being because that is simply disrespectful. i took me a long time to realize but as a woman i don't want to have anything to do with anybody who needs me to feel sorry for him. the self editing actually does me a favor.
Now have folks accused you of being shallow, materialistic and with no feelings...
Which then goes back to full circle.... Regardless of gender and ethnicity in some circumstances "meek" folks can be seen as annoying. Now if you see shy people as treating you disrespectful there's not much room for the assholes.....

[SIGPIC]http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/image.php?u=841&type=sigpic&dateline=1258169105[/SIGPIC]
Old 06-27-2014, 07:14 AM   #407
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
I'm thinking you've got this backwards. Many times its the guys who have no problem approaching women who consider women "its" -- although if they're good the woman won't realize this (at least not initially). If women are basically interchangeable accessories being blown off or rejected is no big deal -- there's always another woman to approach.

It should be pretty obvious that guys who can easily approach women take advantage of this skill. Such guys may indeed be able to make each woman feel like a special human being -- one in a long line.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #408
superodalisque

Quote:
Now have folks accused you of being shallow, materialistic and with no feelings...
Which then goes back to full circle.... Regardless of gender and ethnicity in some circumstances "meek" folks can be seen as annoying. Now if you see shy people as treating you disrespectful there's not much room for the assholes.....
when a guy automatically assumes you won't accept him because of his looks or income, then yes it is a negative accusation of your character. if he didn't think you were a lookist or materialistic deep down then there would be no reason to fear you for those reasons.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #409
Blockierer
FAntastic

Blockierer keeps pushing the rep limit!Blockierer keeps pushing the rep limit!Blockierer keeps pushing the rep limit!Blockierer keeps pushing the rep limit!Blockierer keeps pushing the rep limit!Blockierer keeps pushing the rep limit!Blockierer keeps pushing the rep limit!Blockierer keeps pushing the rep limit!Blockierer keeps pushing the rep limit!Blockierer keeps pushing the rep limit!Blockierer keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthine View Post
Well, there is the stereotype that black men love fat white women. Maybe they're just trying to gather evidence for that...
I'm a black man with a white skin.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #410
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockierer View Post
LOL I can't rep youuuu!
FatAndProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:37 PM   #411
firefly

firefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this boardfirefly carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAndProud View Post
LOL I can't rep youuuu!
No problem - [strike]we[/strike] I can help you!
Old 06-28-2014, 01:27 AM   #412
mimosa
Fluffy Mama

mimosa keeps pushing the rep limit!mimosa keeps pushing the rep limit!mimosa keeps pushing the rep limit!mimosa keeps pushing the rep limit!mimosa keeps pushing the rep limit!mimosa keeps pushing the rep limit!mimosa keeps pushing the rep limit!mimosa keeps pushing the rep limit!mimosa keeps pushing the rep limit!mimosa keeps pushing the rep limit!mimosa keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
LOL I can't rep youuuu!
I got him as well.
mimosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:52 AM   #413
superodalisque

Quote:
LOL I can't rep youuuu!

lol i got blue eyed soul for you too
Old 06-28-2014, 04:36 AM   #414
superodalisque

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
I'm thinking you've got this backwards. Many times its the guys who have no problem approaching women who consider women "its" -- although if they're good the woman won't realize this (at least not initially). If women are basically interchangeable accessories being blown off or rejected is no big deal -- there's always another woman to approach.

It should be pretty obvious that guys who can easily approach women take advantage of this skill. Such guys may indeed be able to make each woman feel like a special human being -- one in a long line.
nope. i've dated enough guys to know. a guy who respects women will respect your right to choose. he won't kick you in the teeth and try to make you a bad person just because you and he were not a fit. he WILL move on. he won't force it. it has to be something that you want too. he is mature enough to know that a connection doesn't happen with everyone and it doesn't matter how handsome or wealthy he might or might not be. he doesn't need to make a woman a bad guy just like a grown up woman doesn't get mad just because some guy she likes might not respond to her. the op was talking about initial meetings. it's mentally unhealthy to behave as though a person you hardly know is the last man or woman alive. there is something wrong with someone if they are acting that way.

that was the problem with Elliot Rodgers. he felt he was entitled to every woman he was attracted to. no one is entitled to anyone. he made up all kinds of shallow reasons why but even his own father said he sucked the joy out of a room. you are into biology. maybe women are just biologically tuned to know when guys have something wrong with them. maybe they also understand intellectually that men who think they are all about looks and money are really misogynist and have very low opinions of women and themselves.

sometimes women might be attracted to those "successful" types but not for the reasons people think. i think women actually like some men with money but not for the cash, especially now when we are really capable of making our own, but because men who are successful often have a passion in life. they don't waste time blaming other people or whining a whole lot about their situations. they are people who are into action and not so much talk. quite a few also tend to have more self confidence. that's good for women because they can be nicer to us because they spend a whole lot less time criticizing us and examining all of the little particulars of what we do because they have a life and they are involved and secure. so, when they are with us they spend time doing what you are supposed to do with a life partner or even a one night stand , which is love them, enjoy their company and not use them as a trophy to hold up in front of other guys to make up for personal insecurity.

just like a lot of men aren't particularly interested in always having to totally prop up women emotionally all of the time neither are some women interested in doing that for men in their lives. IMO codependency isn't a healthy relationship. some women are attracted to fragile men. but, some women are not. the same goes for looks. there are guys out there who are hostile with the world because they aren't considered handsome. they give off a bad vibe just like Elliot did. he was also a hypocrite because he was probably even more shallow in his wants and wishes than the women he accused of that. even if you care about the person living with that on a daily or even a temporary basis is a headache. it isn't even attractive for a hookup

the main thing is a lot of women don't want to be pulled down by negative nellies who are constantly talking about how bad things are and how unfair things are when adults should pretty much know that's life for everybody and everyone has a challenge even if we can't see them. at least Elliot had the excuse of only being 22 and probably having some level of mental illness.

the kinds of guys that i think are really good especially for fat women IMO are positive can do guys. they aren't always talking about how unattractive the world must think fat women are. they aren't always acting as if being healthy is a hopeless cause and they should just give up and die or be thin. they aren't always talking about how fat women can't possibly make it in their career in the name of "keeping it real". the only thing real about that is really low expectations. a good guy is going to encourage her, like men have to do with smaller partners as well, to break every last glass ceiling and reinforce with her why that is possible and why she is worthwhile. he is going to be her cheerleader and not another abuser who tells her in oh so many ways in the typical language of abuse that" nobody wants you except me".

most guys deemed unattractive are totally unattractive for their personality alone. so when young women say guys are creepy they use the word to describe some stuff so vile they don't even have the words for it yet. i personally hope they never have to learn the words because they've invited it into their lives. for some it's easier to blame everything on either what they look like, income or penis size and blame everyone else for why they aren't accomplishing goals and why women don't like them instead of carving their own path regardless of what society says. fat women are smart to stay from away those men because they drag us down and we don't need that. there are plenty of guys who are supportive and see possibilities where ever they look and want to find ways around roadblocks and not stop and build a whine monument in front of them. they don't have time for prejudiced racial comparisons as a distraction from the fact that basically they are just not that good of a guy to be around or have in your life for the long term or even for a night and that is why women are not attracted to them.

Last edited by superodalisque; 06-28-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:42 AM   #415
superodalisque

Quote:
btw at my stage in life i have little patience for shy. meek is irritating to me. it's a time waster IMO. so that person naturally will not be my type and does not have to be. some women love shy men. i would just leave him alone.

if being shy bothers the person who is shy and impacts their lives very negatively they need to realize that there are plenty of shy folk with careers and with partners they actually pursued. if they can't deal when they are getting to my age that may be clinical and they should seek some kind of help before they fritter their lives away being scared of everything. being shy does not mean you aren't lucid enough to manage your own solution. women are not sacrificial psychologist and they don't have to be. men should not have to be either.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #416
swordchick
Deeeeeeeeeeeeez Nuts!

swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Unfortunately, I couldn't rep you either.

Quote:
btw at my stage in life i have little patience for shy. meek is irritating to me. it's a time waster IMO. so that person naturally will not be my type and does not have to be. some women love shy men. i would just leave him alone.
This reminds me of Eddie Murphy and his dislike of shy women from Raw. I'm not into that shy shit myself. You'll have to give me a clue.

Rest in peace, Cinda
and all the others that have passed.
We will miss you sweet angels.

swordchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #417
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordchick View Post
This reminds me of Eddie Murphy and his dislike of shy women from Raw. I'm not into that shy shit myself. You'll have to give me a clue.
Seems like the perfect opportunity for this thread to have an Eeyore moment....

Old 06-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #418
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Quote:
Great way to look at things ...summoning up the essence of both Rocket Monroe and Norvell Austin and sprinkling in some Dusty Rhodes.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:52 PM   #419
KHayes666
Go away

KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Great way to look at things ...summoning up the essence of both Rocket Monroe and Norvell Austin and sprinkling in some Dusty Rhodes.

but da American dream dusty Rhodes baby is one real baaaaaad butt lemme tell ya baybee. Da American dream dusty Rhodes is gonna take it to da pay windah after he's done a knockin and a boppin on da nature boy ric flair baybee!
Old 06-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #420
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHayes666 View Post
but da American dream dusty Rhodes baby is one real baaaaaad butt lemme tell ya baybee. Da American dream dusty Rhodes is gonna take it to da pay windah after he's done a knockin and a boppin on da nature boy ric flair baybee!
One of the more clever WWF 1980's gimmick : Dusty Rhodes and Sapphire

Old 06-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #421
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Quote:

if being shy bothers the person who is shy and impacts their lives very negatively they need to realize that there are plenty of shy folk with careers and with partners they actually pursued. if they can't deal when they are getting to my age that may be clinical and they should seek some kind of help before they fritter their lives away being scared of everything. being shy does not mean you aren't lucid enough to manage your own solution. women are not sacrificial psychologist and they don't have to be. men should not have to be either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordchick View Post
This is why some women are drawn to some of the qualities of the "asshole" or "bad boy" type...

Interesting article in Forbes business magazine why "jerks" get ahead...

1. Overconfident people are perceived as having more social status, and social status is golden.

2.Being rude is a categorically negative behavior by most standards.. .research suggests that we also see it as a sign of power.

A. A study published in the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science indicated that the ruder someone acts, the more convinced observers become that he or she is powerful, and therefore does not have to respect the same rules the rest of us bow to.

Source

Why Jerks get ahead

Old 06-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #422
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Regardless of the opinions in this thread, I love that we can bring up such a pertinent stereotype within the fat community and its associated racial taboos that are very real with society at large (I'm not sure if it's just a USA issue or if other countries also experience these racially-induced unpleasantries).
FatAndProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #423
superodalisque

Quote:
This is why some women are drawn to some of the qualities of the "asshole" or "bad boy" type...

Interesting article in Forbes business magazine why "jerks" get ahead...

1. Overconfident people are perceived as having more social status, and social status is golden.

2.Being rude is a categorically negative behavior by most standards.. .research suggests that we also see it as a sign of power.

A. A study published in the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science indicated that the ruder someone acts, the more convinced observers become that he or she is powerful, and therefore does not have to respect the same rules the rest of us bow to.

Source

Why Jerks get ahead
a man who can just say hello to me is not rude. a man who can ask for my phone number because he likes me is not a bad boy. a man who is not always hating on himself is not a bad boy or an asshole. a bad boy is someone who is nasty emotionally abusive or violent. being able to open your mouth and say hello or i like you is neither nor rude violent abusive or pushy unless there is something wrong with someone's social perceptions. people don't have to be a constant bundle of nerves in order to be a good person. perhaps if people are relaxed and not feeling that they have to prove anything it shows how much they do like and trust other human beings, which is often necessary when it comes to forming healthy relationships of any kind.

actually many truly dangerous misogynistic men like Elliot Rodgers who do intend to abuse women and shoot strangers are often described as shy loners and "nice guys".

it's not breaking any rules to be able to say hello to anyone. the kind of rule breaking your talking about would be more akin to questioning a woman you've just met on the the race of her previous dates. now that is a rude question that breaks every social rule of normal behavior there is and indicates to someone that those rules don't apply to him and his social and emotional compass is way off.

the problem is that for many who really are dangerous to women and others at the least emotionally there is a disconnect between what is socially acceptable and what isn't and what is rude and what isn't. most normal social rules that others find very easy to understand somehow totally escape them, just like it escaped Elliot Rodgers that he should not be judging women in ways he would want to be judged. lack of empathy for another is a real telling point.

it's pretty oddball to think that a normal adult male who can speak up, say hello and comfortable enough in his skin to have a common every day conversation is suddenly a bad boy.

Last edited by superodalisque; 06-29-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #424
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Quote:
a man who can just say hello to me is not rude. a man who can ask for my phone number because he likes me is not a bad boy. a man who is not always hating on himself is not a bad boy or an asshole. a bad boy is someone who is nasty emotionally abusive or violent. being able to open your mouth and say hello or i like you is neither nor rude violent abusive or pushy unless there is something wrong with someone's social perceptions. people don't have to be a constant bundle of nerves in order to be a good person. perhaps if people are relaxed and not feeling that they have to prove anything it shows how much they do like and trust other human beings, which is often necessary when it comes to forming healthy relationships of any kind.

actually many truly dangerous misogynistic men like Elliot Rodgers who do intend to abuse women and shoot strangers are often described as shy loners and "nice guys".

it's not breaking any rules to be able to say hello to anyone. the kind of rule breaking your talking about would be more akin to questioning a woman you've just met on the the race of her previous dates. now that is a rude question that breaks every social rule of normal behavior there is and indicates to someone that those rules don't apply to him and his social and emotional compass is way off.

the problem is that for many who really are dangerous to women and others at the least emotionally there is a disconnect between what is socially acceptable and what isn't and what is rude and what isn't. most normal social rules that others find very easy to understand somehow totally escape them, just like it escaped Elliot Rodgers that he should not be judging women in ways he would want to be judged. lack of empathy for another is a real telling point.

it's pretty oddball to think that a normal adult male who can speak up, say hello and comfortable enough in his skin to have a common every day conversation is suddenly a bad boy.

simply... it all depends on how the person is approached - how the statement is made and other cues (tone - facial expression - body language). Whether someone is a "bad boy" or "nice guy" can be on a case-by-case basis...

Old 06-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #425
superodalisque

Quote:
simply... it all depends on how the person is approached - how the statement is made and other cues (tone - facial expression - body language). Whether someone is a "bad boy" or "nice guy" can be on a case-by-case basis...

you've got that right. which is why judging a woman by the race of her suitors is also a load of hooey. everything is individual.