Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 03-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Cologne/Aftershave

After doing a quick search, I determined that the few threads on this subject were all around 5 years old, so i figured what the hell, instead of reviving one from the dead I'd start a new one since there are several posters on those threads that aren't around these days and several new folks here now and those that contributed then may have changed their tastes in the 5 years since.

I would like to add a twist to this one though. Fellas, list what you wear and what you have and a brief description of why you like them. Also, if you feel like it, list any you have had and don't particularly care for and why. Another thing, do you prefer aftershave or cologne?

I'll kick this one off with what I currently have on the dresser.

1.Bay Rum aftershave by Pinaud - It is as old school as old school gets. To me it smells like pirates (the romantic glamorous kind from the Caribbean, not the raggedy kind from Somalia) or maybe Hemingway in his hard drinking Cuban years. It smells pretty much just like Old Spice but without the softer, powdery undertone that Old Spice has.

2. Clubman aftershave by Pinaud - another old school man's aftershave. It is softer and sweeter than the Bay Rum with a more floral note to it. I tend to wear it more when it's cooler out. Smells like old barber shops.

3. Stetson aftershave - classic, rugged and cheap. Still gets nice comments from the opposite sex and has a classic masculine smell to it. A little on the sweet side, again I prefer it in cooler temps.

4.Stetson Fresh aftershave - a new scent from them that is ok, very citrus-y and spicy which I like on warmer days. Doesn't last long on my skin though.

5. Adidas aftershave - not a bad daily one. It is cheap and has that citrus smell I like for warmer weather, but this one if used in high dosage can smell a little like medicine or linament.

6. Drakkar Noir aftershave - I still like this one, even though it reminds me of high school since that is what I wore back then, and often too much of it! Still has that dark musky smell. It is my go-to in the winter months.

7. Lagerfeld cologne - I used to not like this one as it didn't really appeal to me or smell particularly good on me, but I got a free bottle a year or so ago and gave it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised that it smelled good on me and I liked it. It has a sweet yet spicy smell that I like for cooler weather.

8. Cool Water by Davidoff aftershave and cologne - My absolute favorite in the summertime. To me it smells fresh and clean, just like coming up out of a fresh, cool lake.

That covers what I currently use. Some honorable mentions that I have used and liked in the past, CK1, Aqua Di Gio, and one that I got a lot of comments on from the ladies, Blue Jeans by Versace.

Also, one that disappointed me because it smelled so good in the store, but I just didn't care for how it smelled on me when it mixed with my body chemistry was Paris Hilton for men. It was BOGO at Perfumania so I wound up stuck with two damn bottles of it! I learned to always put some on my skin and walk around for a bit and come back later for my purchase to see how a scent mixes with my body chemistry.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
djudex
I'm out

djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I use Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue for Men. Makes me smell all purdy, unsolicitedly verified by nearly every female friend close enough to me to get a hug of some sort.

The line starts here for sniffing appointments ladies

"Quia Sic Dico"
djudex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!

I never wear scent, but I love men that smell good. One of the best scents I've ever smelled on a man is Platinum by Chanel. LOL If you were wearing Platinum and a flannel shirt, I'd rub against you like a cat. It smells like being in the woods.

Quote:
Egoiste Platinum by Chanel is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for men. Egoiste Platinum was launched in 1993. The nose behind this fragrance is Jacques Polge. Top notes are rosemary, lavender, neroli and petitgrain; middle notes are galbanum, clary sage, jasmine and geranium; base notes are amber, sandalwood, oakmoss, vetiver and cedar.
ConnieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
biglynch

biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Anything fresh smelling is good by me. I was also a big fan of coolwater, and that was my favourite for a very long time but I got a bottle or of 212 on ice, which was the best and freshest aftershave I have ever owned. They don't make it now so if anyone ever finds a bottle send it to me I'm begging.
biglynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
violetviolets

violetviolets carries a lot of weight on this boardvioletviolets carries a lot of weight on this boardvioletviolets carries a lot of weight on this boardvioletviolets carries a lot of weight on this boardvioletviolets carries a lot of weight on this board

All boys should wear Spice Bomb by V&R or L'Homme Nuit by YSL
violetviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I never realised that there were guys out there that made so much attention to different scents like this! Not that that is a bad thing at all! To be honest I prefer it when a guy doesn't wear any scent at all because my nose is sensitive and prefer the smell of soap and shampoo and... well, the person themselves, if you know what I mean? I think I am unusual with that though, perhaps too much experience smelling the overpowering scent of things my uni friends used to use to cover up not showering!
loopytheone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
dublover42

Location: Rural Michigan, looking to move to the PNW in a year or two.
dublover42 can now change their title

I've gone through a few different scents, but I love classic old spice for aftershave

Lately though I've been using Verace Men's Eau Fraiche, and I've had nothing but compliments from it, definitely my favorite cologne so far!
dublover42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
gythaogg

gythaogg can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesgythaogg can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Actually, does anyone here wear indie scents? There are a few small businesses online that sell perfumes and colognes at cheaper rates than department store designer scents, but it's always such a gamble picking up a scent based on reviews and descriptions alone. I hear that Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs, Haus of Gloi and Alchimia Apothecary both make gorgeous, often complex scents. I bought my SO a scent from One Hand Washes The Other, but later found out that their owner was a somewhat unpleasant person, so I'm not sure I would reorder from them.
gythaogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

1. Old Spice - It was my father's favorite and I've always associated it with the businessman mystique.

2. Elsha - I still like it as my step up from Old Spice.

3. Aqua Velva - For when I run out/can't find Old Spice.

4. Preferred Stock - It was a gift that also reminded me of the businessman mystique.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #10
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My wife tends to be allergic to most scents, so nothing for me.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
8. Cool Water by Davidoff aftershave and cologne - My absolute favorite in the summertime. To me it smells fresh and clean, just like coming up out of a fresh, cool lake.
A classic by now, especially for summer - smells good on most guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieLynn View Post
I love men that smell good. One of the best scents I've ever smelled on a man is Platinum Egoiste by Chanel. LOL If you were wearing Platinum and a flannel shirt, I'd rub against you like a cat. It smells like being in the woods.
I totally know what you're talking about. Plus the full name of the after shave sounds so naughty, probably part of it's appeal.

A real old-timer I like a lot because it's very masculine but understated is 'Aramis'.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
Hozay J Garseeya
Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.

Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've been wanting to respond to this.

As much as I'd love to be a manly man and wear woodsy/musky scents, they just don't work for me.

On the off occasion I do wear anything NEAR manly, I wear the original Paco Rabanne for men, rarely, but once in a while it's the perfect scent.

I tend to stick to the Ralph Lauren Polo brands a majority of the time.

Polo Blue, Polo Red, Polo #2, Polo Black and sometimes Polo Double Black.

All of these scents are on the sweeter side and they just seem to work for my body type.

I have used the mainstay Acqua Di Gio before and it works for me as well.

I currently have all of the above mentioned on my dresser except Acqua Di Gio. I just switch them out depending on how I feel for the day. My current scent of choice is definitely Polo Red with it's fruity and citrus tones.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #13
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

I hate the stuff -- won't wear any of it!!!
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #14
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I love scents on men as long as they don't swim in it.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #15
Treach

Treach knows EXACTLY what's going onTreach knows EXACTLY what's going onTreach knows EXACTLY what's going onTreach knows EXACTLY what's going onTreach knows EXACTLY what's going onTreach knows EXACTLY what's going onTreach knows EXACTLY what's going on

Nemat Amber White. It is a lovely scented oil that I heard best-described by a woman as smelling "like clean man".
Treach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #16
Crumbling
Distilled Evil

Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

My dirty secret for the longest time....

axe/lynx ... they used to do one with a very simple sandalwood based scent...

and apparently

sandalwood + me + ~20 minutes = OMG! YOU SMELL YUM!

Based on that, I picked out woody scents with a Sandalwood component and that worked even better

My wife has actually banned me from wearing Green Irish Tweed in mixed company, it gets noticed ;D
Old 03-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #17
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I always loved fahrenheit cologne on a man. But for the most part, any scent a man wears is ok. Just please.. sparingly.. I don't want the scent to hit me 5 minutes before you get to me...
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #18
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
Blue Jeans by Versace.
I helped a friend cologne shop once, and I believe it ended up being the final choice. I guess it's just popular overall!

A long while ago I dated someone who wore Bvlgari Black. It was entrancingly good. I personally love well-chosen cologne on a guy. After all, scent is strongly tied to memory - so it might help you make a lasting, pleasant impression Also, I like some of the scents so much that I'm tempted to wear them myself, and someone else doing it saves me from that.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #19
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthine View Post
I helped a friend cologne shop once, and I believe it ended up being the final choice. I guess it's just popular overall!

A long while ago I dated someone who wore Bvlgari Black. It was entrancingly good. I personally love well-chosen cologne on a guy. After all, scent is strongly tied to memory - so it might help you make a lasting, pleasant impression Also, I like some of the scents so much that I'm tempted to wear them myself, and someone else doing it saves me from that.
Luckily in NY you can get away with wearing mens cologne as a female..lol
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #20
biglynch

biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
I hate the stuff -- won't wear any of it!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca23v2 View Post
Luckily in NY you can get away with wearing mens cologne as a female..lol
Of all my visits to NY, I learned you can get away with mostly everything. Roll on October.

I have a lot of aftershaves as it goes but the one I'm really loving at the moment is lacost white. Really refreshing scent. I'm not a fan of woody deep fragrances. More importantly on a woman I quite like citrus based scents so most of the aftershaves I wear would be better on a lady than on my mush anyway.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #21
terpsichore

terpsichore does more than just post hot picsterpsichore does more than just post hot picsterpsichore does more than just post hot pics

i'm one of those terribly annoying people who legit has breathing problems if i'm close to someone wearing any kind of scent, even a little bit. to be completely honest i think a guy smells best when he's gone a day (or several) without a shower anyway.
terpsichore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #22
biglynch

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpsichore View Post
i'm one of those terribly annoying people who legit has breathing problems if i'm close to someone wearing any kind of scent, even a little bit. to be completely honest i think a guy smells best when he's gone a day (or several) without a shower anyway.
Bit of good old fashioned man musk.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #23
Treach

Treach knows EXACTLY what's going onTreach knows EXACTLY what's going onTreach knows EXACTLY what's going onTreach knows EXACTLY what's going onTreach knows EXACTLY what's going onTreach knows EXACTLY what's going onTreach knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpsichore View Post
As a fat guy I feel like I owe it to society to shower at least once a day.
Treach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #24
Wanderer
Actor at Extra-Large

Wanderer does more than just post hot picsWanderer does more than just post hot picsWanderer does more than just post hot picsWanderer does more than just post hot pics

I normally favor scents with a bit of citrus to them -- for some reason the tanginess works for me. I don't currently have a cologne, though, unless you count the Old Spice Wolfthorn body spray I got for Christmas. It's not bad. (shrug) But citrus still works better for me.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #25
BigChaz
His Eggy Roundness

BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

This is my cologne of choice:
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Irish-Tw.../dp/B000XE64XA

I've tried a lot of colognes, but this is the only one that when I wear it I feel like it "matches" if that makes sense. It's a very manly scent. It smells very fresh and outdoorsy.
BigChaz is offline   Reply With Quote