Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 04-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default BHM friendly 'sports' ?

The last long while I've been pretty wrapped up in a world of parenting and work. But as the kid gets older, potentially even moving out in a couple of years, I'm thinking I need to look at getting outside the nest myself more often again.

I am far from a jock, but I am always looking for ways to add more activity into my life (as opposed to going off to a gym or somewhere specifically to exercise), so I figured finding some 'sports' could be a two-birds/one-stone type situation. Get out of the house, meet new people, and be at least somewhat active.

The challenge with a lot of sports being, of course, that I'm heavy enough I'd struggle to keep up (speed, endurance, agility) in a lot of traditional sports like hockey. So I've been thinking, what sports are good for fatter guys, that are done in at least small groups? I figure others might find some use in such a brainstormed list too, so I won't go on about my personal preferences.

Golf would be an obvious answer.

Up here curling is popular, and is kind of the winter equivalent of golf.

beyond that.....suggestions?
Old 04-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Well, you said you want to stay out of the gym, so that leaves out powerlifting, which is well suited for a BHM as you need to eat as well as lift to get bigger and stronger. Other than that, maybe beer-league softball. That doesn't take too much out of you nor does it require a ton of endurance. The main problem I see with most sports and being suited for a BHM, is that if one was hardcore into playing and living a sporting lifestyle, odds are good that they probably wouldn't be a BHM to begin with.* So that will limit your search predictably.

* Yes I know not all people into playing sports are thin athletic types and there are some bigger people that are in great shape and play regularly, but those are exceptions and not the rule.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Interesting that you brought this up Tad, as I was researching adult sports this week myself. Since we live in the same town, you may want to check the city website as they have a ton of links to rec leagues for sports.

I was thinking of signing up for an over-35 football league ('soccer', not 'handegg'), but despite my recent running program I'm real worried about screwing up my knees. Like Leo said, maybe look at softball. There are leagues in every part of the city.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
kilo riley

kilo riley makes people happy simply by logging inkilo riley makes people happy simply by logging inkilo riley makes people happy simply by logging inkilo riley makes people happy simply by logging inkilo riley makes people happy simply by logging inkilo riley makes people happy simply by logging inkilo riley makes people happy simply by logging inkilo riley makes people happy simply by logging inkilo riley makes people happy simply by logging in

Any sport that involves beer. So, bowling (indoor or lawn) is ideal.

Or if you want something a little more cutting edge may I suggest Extreme Ironing?

Look at this fella. Water-skiing while ironing his trousers.

kilo riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Local YMCAs and parks and recreation departments often sponsor adult leagues in a variety of sports. There are often over 40 or over 50 leagues. In larger metropolitan areas you would likely have a choice between recreational leagues and competitive leagues. The recreational leagues will be full of people who want to have fun but are not super competitive (many of whom are also likely to be in less than tip top shape).
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:18 AM   #6
Mckee

Mckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized rep

Tad, what about futsal, of five a side football, or, well any kind of indoor soccer?

I'm 330 lbs and I have no problem playing.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:13 AM   #7
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Now this isn't going to be the most 'manly' sports idea - but what about dancing?

Ballroom, Latin, square, line, free-style, jazz .... any kind you want.
Plus it comes with often fun music.

It's always with partner(s) or in a group, so a great way of social interaction.
And although many men won't acknowledge it - it's serious exercise if done in the usual 60-90 minute sessions.

Also - all women love any man who dances - they're so rare!
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:36 AM   #8
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo riley View Post
Or if you want something a little more cutting edge may I suggest Extreme Ironing?

Look at this fella. Water-skiing while ironing his trousers.
Well, I do iron, and I do water-ski (although my parents just sold their boat, so I donít know how much skiing Iíll get in going forward), but I donít think that meets my definition of something done in groups? ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
Now this isn't going to be the most 'manly' sports idea - but what about dancing?

Ballroom, Latin, square, line, free-style, jazz .... any kind you want.
Plus it comes with often fun music.

It's always with partner(s) or in a group, so a great way of social interaction.
And although many men won't acknowledge it - it's serious exercise if done in the usual 60-90 minute sessions.

Also - all women love any man who dances - they're so rare!
First: I endorse the idea, for anyone else looking at ideas.

Second: I was trying to resist getting into much personal stuff, but apparently I'm weak willed this morning. So.......

Actually I do enjoy dancing, or at least 'dancing' (I can dance all night to rock songs in 4/4 time without looking entirely spastic. Anything else, well, good thing my wife loves me anyway...) I also totally agree that it is great exercise. However, my wife and I did take a dance class together long ago, and I enjoyed learning to waltz well enough, but then they tried to teach us to cha-cha. Apparently I have trouble doing more than just 'cha'

It is somewhat odd, as my strength in hockey and soccer, as a youth, was always mobility, positioning, and anticipation, but apparently those don't translate into dancing as well as I might have hoped? I have played around with the idea of trying again, perhaps with close to another couple of decades under my belt I'd be less easily frustrated and more forgiving of my failures? (although, a decade ago when I was trying to pick up golf, this did not yet prove to be the case....)
Old 04-24-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
biglynch

biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Darts, I love darts. Sure its not super active but its an addictive game.

Archery is also good fun, and also addictive.
biglynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #10
tankyguy

tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I've found baseball/softball to be reasonably fat friendly. I mean, look at some of the old time greats; Babe Ruth wasn't exactly svelte.
It boils down to short bursts of running with time to recoup in between and long periods of chilling out sitting down waiting for your turn to bat.
tankyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #11
Lil BigginZ
just a NORML guy

Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lil BigginZ has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
Other than that, maybe beer-league softball.
This made me laugh so hard. The other day I saw this post picture on a tumblr called TL;DRwikipedia and it made me laugh for a good while.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #12
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil BigginZ View Post
This made me laugh so hard. The other day I saw this post picture on a tumblr called TL;DRwikipedia and it made me laugh for a good while.

Sounds about my speed (would just need to find a league friendly to newbies, since I never played much of the catching-throwing-batting games)
Old 04-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #13
Durin

Durin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized rep

Cigar Smoking?
Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #14
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!

Considering darts and bowling have been mentioned...

Pool/billiards is pretty great. Doubles games can make for a more "group" feeling experience. And if you enjoy mathematical/geometrical pursuits, they're very relevant in perfecting shots.

Along the lines of less manly, but more actual exercise...

Ah, badminton. I personally love badminton. It's not as taxing as tennis, can be played with 2-4 people, and can offer a pretty great work-out without requiring too much physical prowess.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #15
Anjula
miss wonderfulamazing

Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Anjula has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

amurican football
Old 05-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #16
nolon2020

nolon2020 has said some nice things
Default Anything that inolves water

Sports I do regularly:

Under Water Rugby
Diving
Swimming

in that order
nolon2020 is offline   Reply With Quote