Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 05-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Cuisine from Your Region That You Don't Like

As a card Carrying Southerner (20 years in Tennessee and the past 20 in Texas), I have a few food that will not cross my lips..

-Cole Slaw-I get dirty looks when I order a Pork sandwich in Memphis with no slaw
-Banana Pudding- The smell turns my stomach. It's bananas in general.
-Greens/Mustard Greens- Not no but hell no.
-Boiled Peanuts- No thanks.
ScreamingChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

i have lived in the charlotte area for about 10 years now and several items that are popular in the south i just never got into...

i feel you on the greens...i like my green leafy items raw crunchy or lightly steamed...i can't do the slimy greens that have been cooking with onions all day...

i also can't get behind grits...it is a texture thing...

let me tell you...they eat some weird stuff here...

i don't do pig knuckles, chicken livers, pork rhinds, chitlins, scrapple, etc.
luvmybhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybhm View Post

i also can't get behind grits...it is a texture thing...

let me tell you...they eat some weird stuff here...

i don't do pig knuckles, chicken livers, pork rhinds, chitlins, scrapple, etc.
I felt the same about grits until about 8 years ago. It took a lot of butter, ham, and cheese but I ate them. I rather enjoy them now especially with butter and tabasco.
Pig knuckles, chitlins, and scrapple I am with you on. I LOVE fried chicken livers and pork rinds though.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

In Oklahoma, the four basic food groups are beer, cigarettes, Slim Jims, and Moon Pie. I'm not crazy about any of them.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

Been in Minnesota since 2000 and I REFUSE to eat Lutefisk.

Being a native Texan you won't catch me eating Chitterlings, pig's feet, or grits
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingChicken View Post
As a card Carrying Southerner (20 years in Tennessee and the past 20 in Texas), I have a few food that will not cross my lips..

-Cole Slaw-I get dirty looks when I order a Pork sandwich in Memphis with no slaw
-Banana Pudding- The smell turns my stomach. It's bananas in general.
-Greens/Mustard Greens- Not no but hell no.
-Boiled Peanuts- No thanks.
LOL I'm from Alabama and like every one of those

Living in the NC/VA region, I say no to:

Whoopie Pies

Red Dogs -- People around here get all excited about a brand of cheap red hot dogs (Jesse Jones).

Any type of organ meat or products made from said organ meats.
ConnieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieLynn View Post
LOL I'm from Alabama and like every one of those
LOL I knew it. I always picked up on a Deeper South vibe from you, ConnieLynn.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Vernors.

But then I'm not a native Michigander. The only time I can handle it is when my friend does a holiday ham that's braised with brown sugar and Vernors. My friends are flipping over the new Vernors Slurpee at 7-11. Ick.

[Do drinks count as cuisine? Suppose it may as well since it's a staple here.]
Old 05-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #9
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

lol.. well.. I am from NYC.. We have all kinds of food here. However, from my Puerto Rican background, I don't eat ox tails, cow tongue, pig's feet/pig's knuckles, Morcilla (blood pudding) YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate beans. I will use the "sauce" to flavor the rice, but will not eat the grain.
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've lived all over the West, so I have several to tackle:

Texas: Beer. Canned piss.. don't like the smell, let alone the taste.

East Texas / Louisiana: Shell fish.. mussels, oysters, lobster, crayfish.. yeck.
And Okra. Not deep fried and especially not stewed. I use file to thicken gumbo, thankuverymuch.

Idaho: Trout. I loves all kinds of fish but trout is like rotten salmon. yeck.

Utah: Squash. Be it zucchini or all the varieties of squash.. just wrong. All my neighbors grow tons of the stuff and then try to push it off on me when they plant too much.

Oregon: Crab. Ew. Just no. Gimme more salmon.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #11
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

People are crazy about sushi in Vancouver and I can't stand it.
Same with authentic Chinese food, Thai food, Vietnamese food, Filipino food. No thanks.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

Black pudding
Liver & onions
Boiled bacon ribs
Steak & kidney pudding

All bloody awful, although the steak & kidney pudding is acceptable so long as i can pick the kidney out! Offal? It's awful (ba-dum ching).
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Lutefisk. 'Nuff said. Tastes like warm jello, and if you put butter and salt on it, it tastes like warm jello with butter and salt.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #14
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

OK, I love New York, but why, oh why, must they deep fry most of their seafood with a thick crust of breading (unless you're in a very upscale restaurant, and sometimes even then)? Or when they say "stuffed with crabmeat", that means mostly bread with a little bit of crab. Maybe it's a west coast thing, but I prefer my seafood "naked", so I can actually taste it, not the bread.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #15
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lypeaches View Post
OK, I love New York, but why, oh why, must they deep fry most of their seafood with a thick crust of breading (unless you're in a very upscale restaurant, and sometimes even then)?
Would it help if you thought of it as a doughnut with a shrimp in the middle?
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #16
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

oh geez, no! lol.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #17
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlysomething View Post
People are crazy about sushi in Vancouver and I can't stand it.
Same with authentic Chinese food, Thai food, Vietnamese food, Filipino food. No thanks.
Maybe it's because your taste buds are RACIST!
Old 05-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #18
spiritangel
AmandaClause

spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!

Veggiemite yukkity yuck yuck
Old 05-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #19
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Nooooo! I grew up with Canadian Chinese food. Not Hong Kong Chinese food.
And i'm kind of picky to begin with. Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardon_grip View Post
Maybe it's because your taste buds are RACIST!
Old 05-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #20
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Nooooo! I grew up with Canadian Chinese food. Not Hong Kong Chinese food.
And i'm kind of picky to begin with. Haha
Gotta love that Canadian chow m(EH!)n
Old 05-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #21
Surlysomething

Haha. I know.
I'm terrible.

I do like Don Buri and tempuras etc. Just not down with raw fish and whole fish with their eyes still intact. Blech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardon_grip View Post
Gotta love that Canadian chow m(EH!)n
Old 05-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #22
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

Quote:
Haha. I know.
I'm terrible.

I do like Don Buri and tempuras etc. Just not down with raw fish and whole fish with their eyes still intact. Blech.
It used to gross me out when my mom would make fresh whole fish and she and my dad would fight over the head and the eyes.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #23
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

There are a lot of popular foods here that I don't like.

Chicken fried steak
Cream gravy
Sweet tea
Sweet barbecue sauce
Not all, but most "Tex-Mex" dishes
Sweet salads (sugar in the cucumber salad, sugar in the three bean salad, sugar in the broccoli salad, sugar in the cole slaw, sugar in the pasta salad, even sugar in the damn potato salad).

Tracy
Old 05-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #24
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm from New England but both of my parents are southerners. I grew up with southern food in the house almost exclusively and though I adore my roots, there are a few things that I simply could not like:
  • corn, tomatoes and okra
  • yams
  • sweet potato pie
  • mustard greens
  • chitterlings
  • potato salad
  • oxtails
  • cornbread (the real stuff)
  • pigs feet

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~

Last edited by LillyBBBW; 05-21-2014 at 07:32 AM.
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #25
Surlysomething

Sugar in salads? That's so weird to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyarts View Post
Sweet salads (sugar in the cucumber salad, sugar in the three bean salad, sugar in the broccoli salad, sugar in the cole slaw, sugar in the pasta salad, even sugar in the damn potato salad).

Tracy