Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 06-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #51
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybhm View Post
i was at one of the local grocery stores today and actually saw pigs feet for sale. it is just something you can't un-see....

ug.
lol... spanish people cook with pigs feet..they use it to flavor the beas
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #52
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca23v2 View Post
lol... spanish people cook with pigs feet..they use it to flavor the beas
peas?

They're popular in Eastern European cooking too. The only thing you can't eat from the pig is the squeal.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:49 PM   #53
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

" i was at one of the local grocery stores today and actually saw pigs feet for sale. it is just something you can't un-see.... "

My grandpa used to LOVE those things. Pickled pigs' feet jarred up in a sour aspic type gelatin. He'd eat them with saltine crackers. He offered me some and being a little kid who was totally into anything gross or creepy I decided that I loved them too. My mom was SO unamused when she found out that the old man fed me pigs' feet. She also about lost her poo when she found out he fed me squirrel stew.

Is it really that bent and twisted that whenever I see a jar of pigs' feet at a supermarket I get a pang of nostalgia for my grandpa? LOL!
Old 06-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #54
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

" They're popular in Eastern European cooking too. The only thing you can't eat from the pig is the squeal. "

That's the truth.

My Czech-Bohemian grandma used to serve this sausage called "Jaternice" that is made from various parts of the pig that never make it to the local supermarket meat case. I keep meaning to take a daytrip to the nearest town where there is still an old Czech family owned meat market to buy a few links. I know exactly what's in it. I don't care. I was raised eating stuff like that. It's grandma food for me.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #55
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

In this part of the country, they call them pigs' knuckles. As a vegetarian, I can't claim to know, but I'm told there's nothing like a knuckle sandwich!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #56
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
peas?

They're popular in Eastern European cooking too. The only thing you can't eat from the pig is the squeal.
lol.. Beans.. sorry..I guess I was hungry and ate the "n"..lol
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #57
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyarts View Post
" i was at one of the local grocery stores today and actually saw pigs feet for sale. it is just something you can't un-see.... "

My grandpa used to LOVE those things. Pickled pigs' feet jarred up in a sour aspic type gelatin. He'd eat them with saltine crackers. He offered me some and being a little kid who was totally into anything gross or creepy I decided that I loved them too. My mom was SO unamused when she found out that the old man fed me pigs' feet. She also about lost her poo when she found out he fed me squirrel stew.

Is it really that bent and twisted that whenever I see a jar of pigs' feet at a supermarket I get a pang of nostalgia for my grandpa? LOL!
My grandmother made a dish called 'zimne' nogi' which literally means 'cold feet' in Polish, which was exactly that, cold seasoned gelatin (she originally used the collagen from the bones, then when she got older, Knox unflavored gelatin) with onions and sometimes finely shredded carrots, and whatever part of the pig they could get. Some call it head cheese (same thing, only using the head), and Pennsylvania Dutch call it 'sulze or salceson and sometimes salsify', the latter being weird because that's the name of a plant and that plant is definitely not in the dish. In either case, a number of cuisines use the feet, head, and/or the legs to make the dish. Strangely, I've never actually eaten jarred pigs feet but am not adverse to it. My mother loved them.

For the past 15 years, my grandmother had been making it with shredded poached chicken or turkey breast, stock, onions cooked with the meat, gelatin and seasoning. It was usually served in bite-sized chunks in a saucer of apple cider vinegar. I know I can make it myself, and I do indeed miss it. And I also do confess to eating head cheese, even deli head cheese to this day and sometimes asking the butcher/deli clerk to cut a chunk so I can eat it with apple cider vinegar like grandma made it.

EDT: I just did a little research---the dish dates back to 1410.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.

Last edited by CastingPearls; 06-05-2014 at 02:32 PM.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #58
Donna
wait...what?

Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm probably the only fat person on the face of the planet who doesn't like BBQ. I like plain grilled meats and veggies fine, but no sauce--hot, smokey or sweet.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote