Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 05-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default leftovers

we had a bbq on saturday for family and friends. had tons of leftovers even after sending plates home with family. i decided to wing it and try to make something to use up some leftovers. i boiled the leftover veg from the veggie platter (carrots, broccoli, celery and grape tomatoes) along with some onion, peppers and salt/pepper. then cut up and put in the last of the leftover hamburgers. let it simmer for an hour and it came out awesome! almost like a stew, but had more of the smokey flavor from the leftover burgers.

what kind of creative dish have you made out of leftovers?
luvmybhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
Ms Charlotte BBW
Fantasy Land

Ms Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybhm View Post
we had a bbq on saturday for family and friends. had tons of leftovers even after sending plates home with family. i decided to wing it and try to make something to use up some leftovers. i boiled the leftover veg from the veggie platter (carrots, broccoli, celery and grape tomatoes) along with some onion, peppers and salt/pepper. then cut up and put in the last of the leftover hamburgers. let it simmer for an hour and it came out awesome! almost like a stew, but had more of the smokey flavor from the leftover burgers.

what kind of creative dish have you made out of leftovers?
Sadly I am not a leftovers kind of girl...however, my hubby is, so....Last week I made homemade baked mac & Cheese. A few nights later we had spaghetti. We had tons of leftovers of both mac & cheese and spaghetti sauce, so I mixed the two, layered in the rest of the ricotta cheese I had in the fridge, along with some mushrooms, and baked it in the oven for an hour. The mac & cheese got crispy around the edges and the ricotta just melted in between all the layers. It was very yummy.
Ms Charlotte BBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

that sounds delish!
Old 05-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I tend to plan my leftover strategy in advance: Monday's beans reappear in Wednesday's chili, the remains of which gets involved in Friday's chili mac.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Those Ingles Rotisserie chickens....I like to make soup out of the carcass. My kids love it.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

It is my personal challenge to throw away as little food as possible. Like Dr. Feelgood, I loosely plan my weeks menu for what I call "roll-over" ingredients. I also freeze lots of "bits and pieces" to be included in with a future dish. I have a bag in the freezer for chicken carcasses to make broth out of. I save the buttermilk from when I churn butter to make my bread. I save the heels and stale ends of my bread loaves to make croutons and crumb toppings for casseroles. Or, if I have a lot, I'll make stuffing or bread pudding. If milk is about to go bad I'll do a bechamel sauce or a pudding.

The truth is, I'm kind of competitive with myself about the food budget...and I've found, besides being cheaper, the more I manage my kitchen this way the better the meals taste!
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
Ms Charlotte BBW
Fantasy Land

Ms Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by lypeaches View Post
It is my personal challenge to throw away as little food as possible. Like Dr. Feelgood, I loosely plan my weeks menu for what I call "roll-over" ingredients. I also freeze lots of "bits and pieces" to be included in with a future dish. I have a bag in the freezer for chicken carcasses to make broth out of. I save the buttermilk from when I churn butter to make my bread. I save the heels and stale ends of my bread loaves to make croutons and crumb toppings for casseroles. Or, if I have a lot, I'll make stuffing or bread pudding. If milk is about to go bad I'll do a bechamel sauce or a pudding.

The truth is, I'm kind of competitive with myself about the food budget...and I've found, besides being cheaper, the more I manage my kitchen this way the better the meals taste!
I wish I was that strict with my budget...I need to take lesson from you!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Well, the truth is, for me, I find cooking and baking relaxing, it's relieves stress....and the budget thing makes it more like a game to me, like I'm competing on Top Chef or something...lol. If one doesn't enjoy cooking, I wouldn't recommend it, it is a lot of extra work!
Old 05-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #9
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lypeaches View Post
Well, the truth is, for me, I find cooking and baking relaxing, it's relieves stress....and the budget thing makes it more like a game to me, like I'm competing on Top Chef or something...lol. If one doesn't enjoy cooking, I wouldn't recommend it, it is a lot of extra work!
OTOH, it's kind of fun: it's like working a jigsaw puzzle where the ingredients are the pieces. Let's see ... I've got half a can of creamed corn ...that will go with that half a tomato there... and that cheese there...and it's a casserole!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #10
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

made delish quiche-y thing tonight with leftovers. had tons of leftover cheese and wanted something besides mac and cheese (my usual go to when have tons of leftover cheese.) tonight i tried something new.

first i cooked chopped up onions, red pepper (i keep cut up and frozen in the freezer door), a tomato that was dead ripe, salt and pepper in a pan til cooked through and most of the moisture is gone. added a little squirt of spicy brown mustard. set aside to cool.

in a bowl i mixed 4 eggs, 2 cups milk, the cooled stuff from the pan and all the cheese i had left. (prob about 3 cups. was a combo of extra sharp and mild cheddar leftover chunks that i shredded up.)

poured it into 2 prefab pie crusts and cooked at 350 on a baking sheet (eggs will puff up) for about 50 minutes. last 5 minutes i sprinkled some leftover french fried onions on the top of one and crisped up (hub loves them).

turned out delish and used up a ton of leftovers. best part is we have leftovers! going to be out most of tomorrow, so will re-heat in the oven and have as leftovers too!
Old 05-31-2014, 06:08 AM   #11
lypeaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
OTOH, it's kind of fun: it's like working a jigsaw puzzle where the ingredients are the pieces. Let's see ... I've got half a can of creamed corn ...that will go with that half a tomato there... and that cheese there...and it's a casserole!
Exactly!!! For me it is fun too....but I totally get that it isn't for everyone.
This week I roasted off 2 big pans of chicken thighs and legs (@99 cents/pound). Ate once as is with yellow rice and beans. Then I deboned and rough chopped the leftover chicken, which then became pasta with chicken,mushrooms, peas and tarragon/cream sauce once day, and another day cold chicken salad for sandwiches.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:09 AM   #12
lypeaches

Quote:
made delish quiche-y thing tonight with leftovers. had tons of leftover cheese and wanted something besides mac and cheese (my usual go to when have tons of leftover cheese.) tonight i tried something new.

first i cooked chopped up onions, red pepper (i keep cut up and frozen in the freezer door), a tomato that was dead ripe, salt and pepper in a pan til cooked through and most of the moisture is gone. added a little squirt of spicy brown mustard. set aside to cool.

in a bowl i mixed 4 eggs, 2 cups milk, the cooled stuff from the pan and all the cheese i had left. (prob about 3 cups. was a combo of extra sharp and mild cheddar leftover chunks that i shredded up.)

poured it into 2 prefab pie crusts and cooked at 350 on a baking sheet (eggs will puff up) for about 50 minutes. last 5 minutes i sprinkled some leftover french fried onions on the top of one and crisped up (hub loves them).

turned out delish and used up a ton of leftovers. best part is we have leftovers! going to be out most of tomorrow, so will re-heat in the oven and have as leftovers too!
That sounds amazing! love idea of the onions on top!
Old 06-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #13
Ms Charlotte BBW
Fantasy Land

Quote:

When I have lots of cheese I always make mac & cheese, so this sounds like an awesome alternative! And those crunchy onion thingies! Yum!
Old 06-12-2014, 11:18 PM   #14
Jah
Veggie girl

Jah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging in

If I eat pizza I often have leftovers, which usually turns out to be lunch the next day. Otherwise I usually freeze leftovers.
Jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #15
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

had london broil leftovers from last night...my husband had the last of the veal parm i made the other night. i put in the oven to reheat instead of nuking. he said it held up pretty well and didn't get rubbery like the microwave can...