Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Hyde Park (Archive Only)

Old 08-14-2014, 01:27 AM   #1
gangstadawg
the wanderer

gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default the murder of michael brown

has anybody been keeping up with the story? I know that it has caused protest and in a few cases looting in that area. and even a few hackers want to release the name of the officer that shot the guy.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/180943...-black-america
Old 08-14-2014, 02:04 AM   #2
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Chauncey DeVega's take is spot on:

From the American lynching tree of the 19th and early 20th centuries, to the police harassment and racial profiling of the present, white racial logic deems black humanity to be a type of perpetual threat and poison in the white body politic. The black body must be controlled and terrorized in order to create a sense of safety (and community) for the white public.

Consequently, white racial paranoia twists the murder of two unarmed black people by the police into “justifiable” acts, where the victims of gross and unjust violence are somehow made responsible for their own deaths.

http://www.alternet.org/civil-libert...nd-eric-garner
Old 08-14-2014, 03:17 AM   #3
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

How the police are responding is horrific. It's truly terrifying.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:38 AM   #4
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

The way the mainstream media ISN'T reporting on this is terrifying. The police response is literally a military occupation, and they're firing nonlethals at unarmed and peaceful demonstrators.

I'm so fucking jaded at this point that I know the officer involved is only going to get paid administrative leave and an acquittal.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #5
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm just curious why people decided to steal other people's shit and set things on fire when this happens. I find it totally gross and serves no purpose at all other than to make them look like trash.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
Iannathedriveress
Random Heroine

Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I don't live too far away from Ferguson. All that is on the local news is nothing but the Ferguson protests. I avoid that area like its a war zone.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #7
Blackjack
Fupa Troopa

Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlysomething View Post
I'm just curious why people decided to steal other people's shit and set things on fire when this happens. I find it totally gross and serves no purpose at all other than to make them look like trash.
You're more curious as to why people destroy things when they're angry than upset over the murder of a teenager.

Think about that for a minute.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #8
Saoirse

Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
You're more curious as to why people destroy things when they're angry than upset over the murder of a teenager.

She didnt say that. She just said she was curious as to why people riot. Back the fuck up.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
You can be outraged, broken-hearted, and greedy, all at the same time.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Old 08-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Again. You're not supposed to talk to me, ever. Why can't you handle that?

Think about THAT for a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post

Old 08-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

His point still stands. The police are terrorising the town and you wonder why some people are acting out? The majority of people are behaving peacefully, but some are angry or scared enough to do more. Some are taking advantage of the chaos.

It'd be such a better terror campaign if it wasn't made "gross" by those dang looters. Let the police make their unlawful arrests and bring in military grade weaponry without the hassle of upsetting the populace!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #12
Surlysomething

It was a thought. It doesn't encompass all my thoughts.
I'm sure there are a million questions you can ask about this topic, this is mine right now.

Take it down a notch. You're not the end all and be all of what can be discussed here. Worry about your own business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
His point still stands. The police are terrorising the town and you wonder why some people are acting out? The majority of people are behaving peacefully, but some are angry or scared enough to do more. Some are taking advantage of the chaos.

It'd be such a better terror campaign if it wasn't made "gross" by those dang looters. Let the police make their unlawful arrests and bring in military grade weaponry without the hassle of upsetting the populace!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

With regards to current events, if you're not angry or horrified, you're probably white, vote Republican, believe in God, and somehow are a-ok with police (and armed white people) killing black people with little or no real justification. These police think they're God, and judging by the Old Testament's portrayal of God as an all-powerful, vengeful, and capricious mass-murderer I'd say they're doing a damn good job. My 50+ year old male co-workers joked about the situation as "open season [on black people]", one bemoaned black people trying to "start a race war" (as if white folk haven't been waging and dominating it since day one) and I just saw a Confederate flag background on my co-worker's iPhone this morning and I'm just fucking ashamed to be American and ashamed of "the white race." I don't stand with my "fellow" white Americans who watch Fox News and love their gods and guns, because time after time they show that they are cruel, heartless, and oftentimes downright evil in their thoughts and actions. Obama's old pastor was right to beg, "God damn America!" We are not a world leader. We are not a first-world country. We have no reason to be proud of our country or government. Our freedoms mean nothing if they don't belong to everyone and aren't protected. And who the fuck are the police protecting? Who, god damnit? The police will not be untouchable. The police swore a god damn oath, and breaking that oath should carry incredibly harsh penalties and permanent loss of any job of any power or authority.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
penguin
Fnord

Quote:
It was a thought. It doesn't encompass all my thoughts.
I'm sure there are a million questions you can ask about this topic, this is mine right now.

Take it down a notch. You're not the end all and be all of what can be discussed here. Worry about your own business.

If you post it publicly, it's everyone's business. I'm entitled to my opinion just as much as you, and it's not your place to moderate me or anyone else. There's also nothing to "take down", so please, focus on yourself first.

If the actions of the police in Ferguson don't disgust you, then I guess you're not paying attention.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #15
Surlysomething

And it's not your place to moderate me or tell me what I should focus on in a thread/forum. I can ask any question I want. It doesn't mean I don't care or worry about what's happening. You don't know me.

I would suggest you not talk to me at all. How's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post

If you post it publicly, it's everyone's business. I'm entitled to my opinion just as much as you, and it's not your place to moderate me or anyone else. There's also nothing to "take down", so please, focus on yourself first.

If the actions of the police in Ferguson don't disgust you, then I guess you're not paying attention.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:11 AM   #16
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Is it really all that difficult for some to hold two opposing thoughts in their head at the same time?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #17
Surlysomething

Apparently not. It was a comment on something going on there.
I'm supposed to be shocked and outraged about the police? In the US?
That's a given as far as i'm concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
Is it really all that difficult for some to hold two opposing thoughts in their head at the same time?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #18
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

Hey Surly, I can't imagine why white cops would want to do these kinds of things to black people. Can't you keep your people in line?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #19
Surlysomething

What are you talking about? You don't know me. Haha.
Nice assumption though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange Mage View Post
Hey Surly, I can't imagine why white cops would want to do these kinds of things to black people. Can't you keep your people in line?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #20
Surlysomething

It's funny, i'm Canadian. I'm horrified automatically by so many things about the US that I guess I assume people would know that about me. Or at least take the time to find out about me before they judge one comment I make. Did I say anything bad about black people? No.

I'm talking about something horrid that comes out of something horrid. I'm not judge or jury on what happened because I don't know all the facts, I wasn't there and I don't believe the US media machine very much.. I made a comment and observation on a forum where we're encouraged to do so. If you don't like it, feel free to block me, I could care less.

Why is asking about looting and the ramifications of rioting not ok to talk about? Am I not being fuzzy enough and sad enough about this in your mind? Aww. I need to justify everything to you people? I'm still trying to process Trayvon Martin and the fear it puts in me for my young black cousins that live in Florida. I worry about my black sister too because she travels all over the world for her job. I guess you didn't know that about me because you know NOTHING about me other than one comment I made. I have black family. I'm socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I drive a blue car.

Piss off.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #21
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

Quote:
This. The endorsement of the idea that the looters represent the protesters.

Quote:
I'm socially liberal and fiscally conservative.
I know people who claim that combo of titles and they can be summed up as "I'm for the legalization of weed and maybe gay marriage but poor people sure are being uppity about being poor."
Old 08-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #22
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've been reading about the "riots," and if there is a riot it is the police doing the rioting. This is the logical end result of giving police sweeping powers, military surplus equipment, and topped off by a "war on..." mentality. War on drugs, war on terror, war on whatever, becomes "war on the citizens."

The people who founded this nation must be spinning in their graves.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #23
Big Beautiful Dreamer
ridiculously contented

Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!

Surlysomething: Chill.

Everyone else: Chill.

By which I simply mean: Back off slinging mud at each other. By all means, discuss the events in and around Ferguson. But please do so without jumping on each other.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #24
Mathias
SAMCRO

Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I wonder where all of those right wing America loving "Patriots" that defended that racist rancher in Nevada are now.

My wishlist
Old 08-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #25
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
I wonder where all of those right wing America loving "Patriots" that defended that racist rancher in Nevada are now.
Cheering?.

Tags
fuck the police, spin, trust the police, what was the topic again?, whitey is the devil