Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 09-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default The Paleo Thread

I'm thinking about going Paleo, at least temporarily, but really unsure about giving up grain entirely. I'm not the least bit interested in denying my body the nutrients it needs. Plus, I love bread. Does anyone have any experience with it?
Old 09-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I haven't tried it, but I've just been reading about it in Dr. Robert Lustig's book Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease. Here's what he has to say:

"...even ten days of a Paleolithic diet can improve blood pressure, insulin sensitivity, glucose tolerance and lipid profiles whether or not you lose weight. One issue with the Paleolithic diet is the lack of vitamin D and calcium ... which could potentially be made up with supplements."

He says the main drawback is the expense, but if you're not planning to stay on it for months and months and months, that's probably not an issue. It sounds like nutrients aren't a major problem, though. Incidentally, I was very impressed with the Lustig book and highly recommend it for anyone who eats food.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

I don't follow the Paleo diet because I don't need to entirely give up grains, legumes, and dairy. But I do limit those things and eat a lot of Paleo-friendly meals to help manage my metabolic syndrome.

I could and would go completely Paleo if my endocrinologist felt that a more radical dietary change was necessary for health reasons. There are enough of the things I really like eating allowed on the diet to counterbalance the things I really like that aren't allowed.

I have a cookbook called "Paleo Lunches and Breakfasts on the Go" by Diana Rodgers and have made several of the recipes in it. They were all pretty tasty and easy to prepare, and the ingredients were available in my larger local supermarkets.

One thing I have had a bad experience with was fake breads and the like. There are Paleo-friendly baking recipes that use things like coconut flour, almond flour, etc... and most of the ones I tried weren't worth the expense and hassle of tracking down the specialty ingredients. If I were actually on the Paleo diet then they'd be good enough to satisfy a craving. Probably. I did have one Paleo-friendly muffin at an organic farmer's market that was so good I didn't care that it was Paleo-friendly and not really a real muffin. But it cost $5. For one muffin. It was a pretty big muffin, but still.

It is a restrictive diet, but based on real, whole foods. It does help with conditions like insulin resistance, diabetes, PCOS, and metabolic disorder. The way I see it, it's just different choices. Try it for a while and see how you feel. If it's too restrictive or doesn't make any difference, then add what you feel you're missing out on back into your diet. At any rate, look into some Paleo recipes, they're generally pretty healthy and tasty. If nothing else it'll give ideas to add new things to your diet.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
Saisha
Delphinum natare doces

Saisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I'd love to do a Paleo diet but due to medication interference and being allergic to a lot of foods, I'd have to do a modified version, which I am seriously thinking of doing as I want to lose a good 50 pds for health reasons.

Child of the ocean.
Saisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I follow a paleo/primal diet and you will be amazed at how much better you feel without grains. Your body doesn't need them. I eat meat, fruit, nuts, seeds, good fats and veggies except for legumes, corn and white potatoes.

As a diabetic, it's an immediate response by my body with lower blood sugars. I also have more energy and the cravings go away. I stay away from fraken foods such as breads, pasta, etc and just go without. I do bake with almond flour every now and again and it makes a great pizza crust, biscuits and an amazing banana bread.

If I have a day where I really want something, I will have it, feel like crap and get back on plan the next day.

I do still enjoy dairy, but try to limit it to hwc with my occasional iced coffee and some cheese now and again.

As far as the vitamin d issue, almost all fat people have a vitamin d deficiency. It's worth getting checked out!

I have a pinterest board if you are interested.
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
Saisha
Delphinum natare doces

Saisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
I have a pinterest board if you are interested.
Misty, is your Pinterest board under your username?

Child of the ocean.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saisha View Post
Misty, is your Pinterest board under your username?
It's not. There's actually 2. Lillybbw started this one http://www.pinterest.com/justsomelady/low-carbpaleo/

and here's mine that's just paleo

http://www.pinterest.com/thejollyfatelf/oh-oh-pa-le-o/
Old 10-04-2014, 01:29 AM   #8
Saisha
Delphinum natare doces

Quote:
It's not. There's actually 2. Lillybbw started this one http://www.pinterest.com/justsomelady/low-carbpaleo/

and here's mine that's just paleo

http://www.pinterest.com/thejollyfatelf/oh-oh-pa-le-o/
Thanks for the links.

Child of the ocean.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #9
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saisha View Post
I'd love to do a Paleo diet but due to medication interference and being allergic to a lot of foods, I'd have to do a modified version, which I am seriously thinking of doing as I want to lose a good 50 pds for health reasons.
It would be interesting to read a first-person account of what it's like: I hope you'll keep us posted.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #10
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm sorry I've been MIA on this thread for a week and really appreciate everything that's been posted.

Doc: I will look for the book; it sounds very interesting!

Tracyarts: Thank you! I really appreciate your perspective, and the cookbook suggestion is very helpful. Especially for breakfast ideas because I need breakfasts I can grab and go. I take a thyroid supplement in the morning and can't eat for at least an hour, by which time I need to be on my way to work. I usually do a Kashi granola bar and fruit because they're mobile and I can eat as I'm logging in and checking email.

MisticalMisty: I'll checkout your Pinterest board, and really appreciate all the information. I think one of my concerns was that I'd feel tired or have blood sugar that dropped too low with out the grain, but maybe that's not the case. I saw a coconut flour cookbook the last time I was at the library, and I live in a foodie part of the country; finding specialty ingredients is probably not a big barrier for me, but I know I'm fortunate for that.

I'll let you know if I do it and how it goes. I'm definitely in favor of whole, natural foods and for the most part eat like that anyway. I've been thinking about it as a way of helping my body do some healing, and I'm becoming more convinced I may have food sensitivities I don't know about. I'm not sure it's an effective way to identify those, though.

I'm also really confused about quinoa. I know it's a seed that many people assume is a grain (and it doesn't help at all that a lot of sources of information refer to it as a grain), so can I still eat it and be grain free? And what are my other options if I'm going completely grain free?

Last edited by one2one; 10-05-2014 at 05:15 PM.
one2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
MisticalMisty

Not sure what you're asking as far as what your other options are for going grain free.

The first few weeks are hard because your body basically detoxes. After that, I don't crave grains any longer.

At the end of the day, you have to do what you think will work for you. I'm super carb sensitive and even the slightest amount of grains/potatoes cause a huge spike in my blood sugars. I do check my blood sugars often and keep nuts/seeds and a piece of fruit with me if I test and it's too low for me.

I went to the endo in March and my A1C was 6.5 I went Friday and it was down to 6.2. It's all because of a grain free/sugar free lifestyle.

I personally don't care for coconut flour, but enjoy using almond flour for some things. I know die hard purists are against quinoa, but so many people enjoy it. Check out Mark's Daily Apple or Robb Wolfe. They have a lot of information and it makes primal/paleo easier to navigate! Good luck!

Old 10-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #12
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

Quote:
Not sure what you're asking as far as what your other options are for going grain free.

I guess that was confusing. I was wondering about seeds that come from grain like buckwheat, chia, flax, amaranth and quinoa. It looks like there are differing opinions about including those in a grain free diet, and the purists say nay. I'll check out those websites. Thank you so much!
Old 10-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #13
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2one View Post
I guess that was confusing. I was wondering about seeds that come from grain like buckwheat, chia, flax, amaranth and quinoa. It looks like there are differing opinions about including those in a grain free diet, and the purists say nay. I'll check out those websites. Thank you so much!
I know I have seen paleo recipes with flax and possibly chia, but not the rest. Again, I think you have to adopt it to fit your needs. Hope those sites are helpful!