Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #26
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post
So....Would ya like to expand on that, just a little bit? Recipe? Photo?
I take 2-3 large baking potatoes, wash them well and use the mandolin to slice them very thin. I take a pint to a pint and a half *depending on how many potatoes I have* of heavy whipping cream and steep 6-7 cloves of garlic, a couple tsp of dried thyme and a couple tsp of dried rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste for about 10 minutes. I strain the liquid and pour a little in the bottom of my pan. Layer all the potatoes in the pan and then pour the remaining liquid on top. Bake covered in a 350 oven for about an hour. Take the lid off and bake another 30 minutes. They taste creamy and cheesy and there's no cheese involved. So good!
Attachment 117428
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #27
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange Mage View Post
Just some good ol' potato soup. Almost no bad way to make it, but I gotta have cheese, scallions, and a little bacon in mine.
The potato soup at IHOP is surprisingly good. And it's really great at Chilis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCutieJuliet View Post
I think I like pretty much every potato dish, BUT my favorite would probably be loaded potato skins with bacon, cheese, and everything else on them. Oh yeah, definitely hungry now.

No lie, though, I have a friend who loves potatoes even more than I do. I have seen him pick up a raw potato and eat it more than once. O.O
Yeah I love most things made from potatoes

However, I quoted you because Asheville wants to wave to Gastonia

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #28
Jah
Veggie girl

Jah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging in

Jacket potatoes with cheese and pineapple, mashed potatoes in general and baked potatoes.
Jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #29
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah View Post
Jacket potatoes with cheese and pineapple, mashed potatoes in general and baked potatoes.
I'd like to find a good jacketed potatoes recipe. Hmm.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:11 AM   #30
Jah
Veggie girl

Jah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'd like to find a good jacketed potatoes recipe. Hmm.
So would I. I usually get jacket potatoes from fast food places and pick the ingredients from what they have available.
Jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #31
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Thanks, Misty. That couldn't possibly suck!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:02 PM   #32
Jigen

Jigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going on

It's hard to choose only one. I'd say potato croquettes with diced speck and brie.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:41 AM   #33
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

All the canadians on this board and no votes for poutine yet? I still refuse to try it but they seem to love it.

My favorite is baked with the skin rubbed with olive oil and coarse sea salt.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:28 AM   #34
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwesterny View Post
All the canadians on this board and no votes for poutine yet? I still refuse to try it but they seem to love it.
I can think of two factors there: a favorite dish usually suggests something that you have with some regularity, and something that you have at home.

I would think that very few people eat poutine regularly. Let’s face it, the combination of deep fried carbs, gravy, and cheese has probably justifiably earned the nickname “heart-attack in a dish.” Even teenagers that I know enjoy it occasionally, but not even weekly (I’m sure there are people who have it more often, but I don’t think that a lot of people do).

And it is something that is almost always eaten out: stereotypically at a chip-wagon or snack bar, but sometimes at a restaurant. You can make it at home if you have a deep-fryer, gravy, and fresh cheese curds—but that makes rather a lot of effort and special shopping (cheese curds are only really nice for one or two days, so you pretty much need to buy them when you are going to use them).

So it would be a bit like if you asked people their favorite cookie, you wouldn’t expect a lot of answers of “deep-fired Oreos.”
Old 07-15-2015, 06:43 AM   #35
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm mot certain I agree that your favorite has to be something eaten regularly and prepared at home. My favorite meal would have to be Paella. I made it once properly and have had it out less than 10 times in my life. Casa Luis in Smithtown, NY with plenty of Sangria if anyone is from Long Island.

The fried oreo comparison makes sense if you consider it more of a specialty preparation.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:03 AM   #36
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I recently discovered potatoes O'Brien, and I think they deserve a mention.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #37
MsBrightside

MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
All the canadians on this board and no votes for poutine yet? I still refuse to try it but they seem to love it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
I can think of two factors there: a favorite dish usually suggests something that you have with some regularity, and something that you have at home.

I would think that very few people eat poutine regularly. Let’s face it, the combination of deep fried carbs, gravy, and cheese has probably justifiably earned the nickname “heart-attack in a dish.” Even teenagers that I know enjoy it occasionally, but not even weekly (I’m sure there are people who have it more often, but I don’t think that a lot of people do).

And it is something that is almost always eaten out: stereotypically at a chip-wagon or snack bar, but sometimes at a restaurant. You can make it at home if you have a deep-fryer, gravy, and fresh cheese curds—but that makes rather a lot of effort and special shopping (cheese curds are only really nice for one or two days, so you pretty much need to buy them when you are going to use them...
This is going off on a bit of a tangent, but I watched Chopped last night (US version), and the basket of ingredients for the appetizer round contained poutine, Italian sausages in buns, tomatillos, and morel mushrooms.

It's tough to pick a favorite potato dish. I agree with all the baked/jacket potato lovers, though: a big, well-prepared baked potato with your toppings of choice is hard to beat.

I also love natural-cut fries with salt and vinegar, but they're not so easy to get in the US unless you carry a bottle of malt vinegar around with you. But Cullers always has them at the Illinois State Fair (you can find Cullers booths at lots of other fairs, too. ).
MsBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #38
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

i am all about the mashed. with butter, salt, pepper and milk. old school.
if i am feeling wild i might mush in some cheddar cheese or some sauteed garlic.

i don't make them very often, but i love scalloped potatoes. they are usually super messy to make (even when i put the casserole dish on a sheet pan the milk seems to boil over and make a mess). i usually end up cutting them by hand. i like the whole thin slices and i always end up having to cut the potato at least in half if i want to use the slicer disc in my food processor to cut them. when they come out right, they are super delish!
Old 07-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #39
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

What's taters, precious?
Old 07-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #40
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Does anyone here like colcannon? It's mashed potato mixed with sauteed cabbage and onion, covered with cheese and baked as a casserole. At least, that's the recipe I have; an authentic Scot (are you reading this, Ruby?) might do it differently.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #41
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
Does anyone here like colcannon? It's mashed potato mixed with sauteed cabbage and onion, covered with cheese and baked as a casserole. At least, that's the recipe I have; an authentic Scot (are you reading this, Ruby?) might do it differently.
I love colcannon (isn't it irish??), but I've never had it with cheese on, or baked in the oven. When I make it, it's just mashed potato with lots of butter, milk (/cream ) and salt & pepper, and then the sauteed onion and cabbage is just stirred in. Not sure if that's the authentic way, but that's how my family does it!
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #42
WTF

WTF can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesWTF can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingembre View Post
I love colcannon (isn't it irish??), but I've never had it with cheese on, or baked in the oven. When I make it, it's just mashed potato with lots of butter, milk (/cream ) and salt & pepper, and then the sauteed onion and cabbage is just stirred in. Not sure if that's the authentic way, but that's how my family does it!
Thats how my family makes it! MMMMMMM
WTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:58 PM   #43
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

My colcannon recipe comes from Abbot George Burke of Holy Protection Monastery. He is neither Scots nor Irish, so I don't vouch for the authenticity of his recipe. But he likes cheese and so do I.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:56 PM   #44
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I like all the potatoes.

Seriously.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:04 PM   #45
WTF

WTF can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesWTF can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
My colcannon recipe comes from Abbot George Burke of Holy Protection Monastery. He is neither Scots nor Irish, so I don't vouch for the authenticity of his recipe. But he likes cheese and so do I.
Cheese is amazing, but its not needed in traditional colcannon, it would just take away from the lake of melted butter! mmmmmmmm
WTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #46
deanbpm

deanbpm carries a lot of weight on this boarddeanbpm carries a lot of weight on this boarddeanbpm carries a lot of weight on this boarddeanbpm carries a lot of weight on this boarddeanbpm carries a lot of weight on this boarddeanbpm carries a lot of weight on this board

A popular drunken takeaway dish in the UK is fries, melted cheese, chilli sauce and mayo.

Kind of looks like this but in a polystyrene tray.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (79.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 07-31-2015, 09:14 AM   #47
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I agree with Gingembre that I've never heard of it covered with cheese and baked. But then I always say that Americans put cheese on and in, everything they just can't leave it!

I like colcannon so long as it's made with white cabbage, not terrible kale or spring cabbage.
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:28 AM   #48
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

My favorite is baked with the skin rubbed with olive oil and coarse sea salt.
Ok, I'll be the Canadian guy that votes for poutine. I don't even really care for french fries or potatoes in general, but a well-crafted poutine is comfort-food heaven.

It's such a simple recipe for a basic poutine, but every ingredient has to be perfect and in proper proportion to each other. You can have an amazing gravy, but if you use the wrong cheese the poutine is ruined.

We just had an awesome BBQ joint open up in our neighbourhood, but they fail at poutine. Unacceptable. The gravy is flat, and they don't use enough of it. (A mixed blessing, I guess...) If they fix it, I will be their best friend...

You can get poutine in all styles and different toppings, but if you can't handle the basic I won't try the fancy.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:02 AM   #49
Windigo
The wolf spirit

Windigo has super-sized repWindigo has super-sized repWindigo has super-sized repWindigo has super-sized repWindigo has super-sized rep

I love German style home fries; potatoes fried in a skillet with garlic or onions and some fresh parsley added at the end. They go well with just about anything.

And I love French Gratin Dauphinois, that's a potato bake with garlic and cream. Delicious with steak.

But it's hard to pick a favourite; potatoes are actually my favourite carb and so delicious in so many ways.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:01 AM   #50
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
I love German style home fries; potatoes fried in a skillet with garlic or onions and some fresh parsley added at the end. They go well with just about anything.
It doesn't get much better! They were known (as in your post) as "German fried potatoes" until 1917, when they became "home fries". Many of you will remember a similar attempt to christen French fries as "freedom fries" when the French refused to join our (ongoing) adventure in Iraq. I hate it when potatoes get political.