Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Library > Story Writers Forum

Old 12-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
bayone

bayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default How Much Fantasy In Your Fantasy?

Mostly writing this for myself so I can turn the idea over and look at it: months ago, Terpsichore asked for someone to write a story revolving around a production of A Midsummer Nightís Dream with a BHM Bottom and an FA Titania who finds herself really getting into their love scenes.

I'd started tinkering with the idea but it rapidly began branching into a longer story with a college setting. With The Amateurs wrapped up, Iím thinking of starting in on the new one; but in the past couple of days Iíve also begun thinking about introducing an urban-fantasy element ó which might also help differentiate it from the previous story's amateur-theatre setting; but I don't know if I can come up with something that won't feel forced.

Thoughts?
bayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

How do you mean urban fantasy? I am not sure of the term
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
bayone

bayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Basically, fantasy in a contemporary urban setting Ė i.e., the characters discover thereís magical stuff lurking under the surface of our everyday world, rather than travelling to a different one. "Xander" on this site would count as urban fantasy.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm a fantasy fan, urban included, so I'd be delighted to read it.

Aw, who am I kidding....I'd be delighted to read anything you wrote!
Old 12-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Agreed and agreed!!
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:39 AM   #6
bayone

OK then (gets nervous because now i have to think of a fantasy plot).
Old 12-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Okay - I'll play the spoil sport here.

I have issues with fantasy - urban, rural, historic or whatever.

Bayone - you write yourself that it seems difficult to write something that doesn't feel forced. That's exactly the point - and probably also why so few of the tons of fantasy works around ever makes it into what is really considered literature.

Most of the time, so much thought and work goes into the constructing of the fantasy world, that often very little time, energy and creativity remains for plot and character development. Staying within the fantasy world construction also has the frequent side-effect of language becoming repetitive in order to stay true to the given frame. That gives many fantasies a hollow, formulaic tone - characters remain cookie cutter flat and monodimensional. Also, fantasy storylines are often thinly disguised clones of actual historic periods/events or re-brewed utopian or distopian archetypes.

What you did in 'The Amateurs' is actually a classic literary device that has been around since ancient Greek theater - the paralleling and interweaving of staged and real life events. That has less to do, imo, with an actual fantasy story.

So - write your story, portray your characters and introduce us to their world - and don't worry about too much fantasy.

P.S.: I'll admit that 'Xander' on here is also the exception to my 'no fantasy' rule. But that's because Undine thankfully concentrates on the characters and their interactions.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:29 PM   #8
Durin

Durin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized rep

I like Fantasy fiction.

I don't think most people have read good Fantasy

Stuff by Robin Hobb, Steven Brust, Steve Erickson, Patrick Rothfuss is awesome stuff.
Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
ALS

ALS has super-sized repALS has super-sized repALS has super-sized repALS has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
Okay - I'll play the spoil sport here.

I have issues with fantasy - urban, rural, historic or whatever.

Bayone - you write yourself that it seems difficult to write something that doesn't feel forced. That's exactly the point - and probably also why so few of the tons of fantasy works around ever makes it into what is really considered literature.

Most of the time, so much thought and work goes into the constructing of the fantasy world, that often very little time, energy and creativity remains for plot and character development. Staying within the fantasy world construction also has the frequent side-effect of language becoming repetitive in order to stay true to the given frame. That gives many fantasies a hollow, formulaic tone - characters remain cookie cutter flat and monodimensional. Also, fantasy storylines are often thinly disguised clones of actual historic periods/events or re-brewed utopian or distopian archetypes.

What you did in 'The Amateurs' is actually a classic literary device that has been around since ancient Greek theater - the paralleling and interweaving of staged and real life events. That has less to do, imo, with an actual fantasy story.

So - write your story, portray your characters and introduce us to their world - and don't worry about too much fantasy.

P.S.: I'll admit that 'Xander' on here is also the exception to my 'no fantasy' rule. But that's because Undine thankfully concentrates on the characters and their interactions.

An excellent analysis regarding fantasy. I will keep this post in mind for when I attempt to write a story with fantastical elements. Thank you, agouderia!
ALS is offline   Reply With Quote