Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 12-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Cabbage

I love this stuff. It's cheap, nutritious, can be used in thousand different ways, and lasts almost forever in the fridge.

Besides slaw, I like it best sautéed in a little bacon grease. (We're having that with a pair of lamb chops tonight for supper.)

What's your favorite way to fix it?
Old 12-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
agnieszka

agnieszka can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesagnieszka can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

baby cabbage boiled in salty water, drained and served with breadcrumbs fried on a bit of butter (just few minutes until they become golden)
agnieszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Sauerkraut.

I don't know how to make it, but I love to eat it.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

2nd for kraut. I'm going to learn and make it myself.

I make a mean Texas-style green pepper slaw too.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Sweet-and-Sour Cabbage

1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
1 Tbsp olive oil
8 cups chopped cabbage
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp sugar

Saute the onion 2 or 3 minutes until it is transparent. Stir in everything but the sugar and simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, until the cabbage is tender (about 20 minutes). Stir in the sugar and cook one or two minutes more.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!

Sliced thick, salt, pepper, garlic, oven roasted.
ConnieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #7
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Cruciferous...

I like a little bit of either red or green sliced pretty thin, but still a bit long mixed into a regular salad.

Or, not quite as thin, for a stir-fry.

Or, just the red, same thickness as for a stir-fry, but braised with a little bit of sugar & vinegar for a kraut-like side-dish with meat-loaf & mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, etc...

I like cole-slaw; if I'm at a dinner, I will eat that complimentary cole-slaw they give you with everything. Even if it's just little bit in a paper souffle cup and looks like they scooped it out ahead of time, a hundred at a time. But, obviously, a really fresh batch of cole-slaw if a whole other thing.

Kimchi, whenever or wherever available, I will partake. In my soup, salad, on the side. Whatever variety.

I like what it does to me.
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
Kimchi, whenever or wherever available, I will partake. In my soup, salad, on the side. Whatever variety.
Absolutely! Try a little in a grilled cheese sandwich some time.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I like it in a crock pot, along with some corned beef and potatoes for St. Patrick's day.

Also, a lot of people who are not part German may mock sauerkraut, but it is rather good with bratwurst and a decent beer. Make sure you get some tasty mustard for the bratwurst. The cheap yellow stuff, not so great.

Last edited by EMH1701; 12-28-2014 at 11:44 AM.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
I like it in a crock pot, along with some corned beef and potatoes for St. Patrick's day.

Also, a lot of people who are not part German may mock sauerkraut, but it is rather good with bratwurst and a decent beer. Make sure you get some tasty mustard for the bratwurst. The cheap yellow stuff, not so great.
Ah a fine mustard with brats
Old 12-29-2014, 08:43 PM   #11
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

i rarely use cabbage for anything but stuffed cabbage rolls...but have been inspired by this thread to try it as a regular side i do see it served regularly down here in the carolinas, so will have to give it a go.
luvmybhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #12
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
I also love kimchi and have a little in one form or another with most meals. I usually substitute it for sauerkraut and think of it as sauerkraut on steroids. There's about as many different variations of kimchi as Koreans.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:06 AM   #13
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Must be a southern thing. I've never known of folks getting excited over cabbage.
FatAndProud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #14
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post
There's about as many different variations of kimchi as Koreans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAndProud View Post
Must be a southern thing. I've never known of folks getting excited over cabbage.

That's because South Kimchee has a lot more freedom of expression than North Kimchee.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #15
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

The system won't let me rep you again, but consider yourself to be in possession of one (1) virtual rep.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:42 PM   #16
agnieszka

agnieszka can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesagnieszka can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post
The system won't let me rep you again, but consider yourself to be in possession of one (1) virtual rep.
I have done it for you :-)
agnieszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:13 AM   #17
Jigen

Jigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going on

We Lombard, we have plenty of recipes to dispatch Cabbage. One of these is Cassoeula, which is also the first recipe of my Italian kitchen thread. Cassoeula is a dish based on Savoia Cabbage and pork meat. You can also try Tuscan Black Cabbage Soup.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #18
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Kimchi is one of my favorite vegetable preparations period. I go through a jar of it about every two months. It's a great side in general I think. My mother makes a really good sausage and cabbage stew I enjoy as well.

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:30 AM   #19
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieLynn View Post
Sliced thick, salt, pepper, garlic, oven roasted.
I recently tried this with red cabbage, it was soooo good!
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #20
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybhm View Post
i rarely use cabbage for anything but stuffed cabbage rolls...but have been inspired by this thread to try it as a regular side i do see it served regularly down here in the carolinas, so will have to give it a go.
I recently found a recipe for "lazy cabbage rolls", and now we have it 2 - 3 times a month!

Lazy Cabbage Rolls
1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey
1 tablespoon oil
1 large onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 small cabbage, chopped
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt

Preparation:

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender.
Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.

Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
Eat as is, or serve over rice.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #21
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

I can attest to the excellence of lazy cabbage rolls! I omit the sugar, vinegar, and water, but will try putting them in next time. Other variations I can recommend are serving them over pasta and replacing regular diced tomatoes with Ro-Tel diced tomatoes with peppers (not for the faint of heart).
Old 01-15-2015, 09:57 PM   #22
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Basalmic glazed cabbage

Reduce 1 cup of basalmic vinegar with three table spoons of brown sugar.

Sautée chopped cabbage 2 inch squares in a little evoo and salt and pepper when just tender toss with glaze until covered.

Very tasty
EvilPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #23
Adamantoise
Tom

Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Adamantoise has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Boiled cabbage slices with my Sunday Roast dinner, with a tiny bit of black pepper - I absolutely love it, I've been eating it for as long as I can remember.
Adamantoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #24
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Recently made a diced potatoes, can of Frank's sauerkraut, and sliced polish sausage (smoked) hot dish. Basically, I mixed them all together in a casserole dish, added a can of Campbell's cream of soup, and stuck them into the oven at 350 degrees for an hour, long enough to cook the potatoes. Turned out decent, though I should've had more potatoes. Oh, well.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #25
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
Recently made a diced potatoes, can of Frank's sauerkraut, and sliced polish sausage (smoked) hot dish. Basically, I mixed them all together in a casserole dish, added a can of Campbell's cream of soup, and stuck them into the oven at 350 degrees for an hour
I've looked for Campbell's cream of soup at the grocery, but they don't carry it. It sounds very basic, which I find intriguing.