Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 02-05-2015, 01:14 PM   #1
BigWheels
It's OK, I bite back

BigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 club
Default Acceptances in todays world

I have been taking a bit of time to work on several projects, and I wanted to just say, here in Vermont, GENERALLY SPEAKING - size acceptance seems to be the prevalent attitude.

While I'm sure it's still there, I was just wondering with the S.I. plus sized model & many larger celebs making being big a less unique thing... Meghan Trainor making it cool for kids to relax about sizes

Anyone else want to weigh in on this?
Old 02-07-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
magodamilion

magodamilion can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesmagodamilion can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Not really in my opinion.

I mean Meghan Trainor and the majority of plus sized models were already within the spectrum of 'social desire ability' to begin with. It's something that pretends to be controversial but really istn'.
magodamilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:55 AM   #3
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magodamilion View Post
Not really in my opinion.

I mean Meghan Trainor and the majority of plus sized models were already within the spectrum of 'social desire ability' to begin with. It's something that pretends to be controversial but really istn'.
This!

With few exceptions - Melissa McCarthy, Beth Ditto - the so called 'plus-size' celebrities championing curves and size diversity are almost all in the 'normal' range even according to the strict BMI measurements.

That these in the best sense of the word average women are considered 'big/ger' says a lot of how the visual standard has shifted towards thin bordering on underweight.

For a 5'5" woman the BMI scale considers normal and healthy everything up to 150 pounds. Social optics only view a woman that height to have a desirable size if she is < 120 pounds, or up to a BMI of 20.

In a self-portrayal and optimization obsessed society the omnipresence of the thin ideal imo has actually increased the pressure on women to be as slim as possible - a few highly publicized counter-examples don't change that.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #4
BigWheels
It's OK, I bite back

BigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 club

I guess my desire was not to define the "sizes" but the acceptance of size.

And agreed, many of the people considered plus sizes ARE "healthy". But if I was buttshaking everyday, my ass may be a bit smaller too. LOL

So maybe I found a nice little haven of acceptance here in Burlington, Vermont
Old 02-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
magodamilion

magodamilion can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesmagodamilion can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Weirdly enough I think people like Chris Christie might be unwittingly doing more for the fat acceptance movement then some of the people who do it intentionally (like Meghan Trainor and etc).

Most of his responses to criticisms based on his weight have just been really intelligent and he is one of few public figures who openly rejects all of the negative narratives relating to being fat.
Even when he had weight loss surgery (because he is still fundamentally a pandering asshat who will do/say anything for votes) he rejected that narrative by frequently making a point of saying he felt fine/exactly the same at his previous size which is extremely rare for famous people who did wls.
magodamilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:14 AM   #6
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels View Post
I have been taking a bit of time to work on several projects, and I wanted to just say, here in Vermont, GENERALLY SPEAKING - size acceptance seems to be the prevalent attitude.

While I'm sure it's still there, I was just wondering with the S.I. plus sized model & many larger celebs making being big a less unique thing... Meghan Trainor making it cool for kids to relax about sizes

Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

It appears to me that young people are much less concerned about size than when I was young 30+ years ago. I see fat young women out with friends all the time now. My high school had plenty of fat girls. However, the majority of them never socialized (you never saw them after school or on the weekend). Things are very different today.

Also, its been my experience that size acceptance does indeed vary geographically. New England and the west coast seem to be the most accepting. The heartland -- not so much.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:34 AM   #7
BigWheels
It's OK, I bite back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Also, its been my experience that size acceptance does indeed vary geographically. New England and the west coast seem to be the most accepting. The heartland -- not so much.
We got 'em surrounded! GROUP HUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
ShakesSphere

ShakesSphere can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesShakesSphere can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesShakesSphere can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Opposite there on heartland versus west coast. Here in the Rust Belt people are more concerned with just getting by and surviving and vanity is not as prevalent. What's the proof? The west coast has a much higher density of plastic surgeons and expensive gyms. Strip mall weight loss chains are few far between in the midwest versus the coast.

New England people are too independent to worry about what others think, especially about appearance. But you have to exclude Connecticut, which is culturally closer to New York City than to the rest of New England.

It's not just the weather --the South is also more accepting of big beer bellies than either coast.
ShakesSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:24 PM   #9
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakesSphere View Post
Opposite there on heartland versus west coast. Here in the Rust Belt people are more concerned with just getting by and surviving and vanity is not as prevalent. What's the proof? The west coast has a much higher density of plastic surgeons and expensive gyms. Strip mall weight loss chains are few far between in the midwest versus the coast.

New England people are too independent to worry about what others think, especially about appearance. But you have to exclude Connecticut, which is culturally closer to New York City than to the rest of New England.

It's not just the weather --the South is also more accepting of big beer bellies than either coast.
The west coast does indeed have more recreation facilities (not all expensive -- I belong to a city run recreation center that is quite reasonable; we also have a family membership at the local Y). While there are indeed beautiful people gyms most facilities are used by a wide mix of ordinary people (many quite fat). The Southern California body obsessed stereotype does indeed exist in some areas but its not nearly as as widespread as people think (its pretty much absent north of Santa Barbara). Even in LA its limited to a few trendy neighborhoods.

My point is that fat people on the west coast and in the northeast aren't harassed and taunted nearly as often as fat people in the heartland are. I've been around awhile and been to many national BBW events. I've heard many many stories -- the worst always seem to be told by people who grew up in Ohio or Indiana. The poverty of an area actually seems to make matters worse -- some people react by making other people's lives even more miserable.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote