Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 02-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
SSBHM

SSBHM can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSSBHM can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSSBHM can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default How many calories?

Does anyone target how many calories to consume to gain weight?

I have been casually trying to keep track of what I eat to see how many calories I am getting. For the past week I have had between 4500 and 10000 each day. Yesterday was kind of a typical day:

pancakes eggs sausage coffee totaled about 1600
wendy's double with cheese fries large frosty another 1500
feta spinach pie another 500
pulled pork sandwich and soft drink 700
3 slices of cheesecake 1100
2 beers 400
cheesy gordita crunch two tacos large pepsi 1200

Total for the day about 7000 calories

According to a weight gain calculator if I eat 500 extra calories a day over my required to maintain, or 3200 a day, I will gain a lb in a week.

Calculating the difference between 7000-3200=3800/500= 7.5 lbs a week gain.

Just wonder if anyone else has done this sort of calculation?
SSBHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

In general those guidelines are right, but bodies are not static or identical. i.e.

- eating more may result in your body burning more calories as it tries to hold its weight constant.
- If you really stuff yourself you may not efficiently digest all of the food so not take in all the calories.
- Barring that you've been tested based on respiration you don't really know what your body "normally" burns in calories per day (charts can give you an idea, but only an idea).
- Your activity levels may change for one reason or another.
- as you gain weight, if you keep the same level of activity, you burn more calories because you are moving more mass. And because you are moving more mass you'll build more muscles related to the movements you do, build up dense bones over time, etc.

So it can be fun to imagine what all those numbers could mean, but don't assume that they will closely relate to reality!